• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[UPDATE!!] Redoing the Brawl+ website.

Forum Software?

• phpBB

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • MyBB

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
NNID
Budget_Player
Well it doesn't have to be tiny; if it looks good it could go up a good bit. But it can't be one solid image; first due to bandwidth and second due to fluidness. If you guys don't want to go fluid, that's okay too...

EDIT: Wow, I am so wrong. http://www.mybbcentral.com/index.php Anyone know how to set it up like that place's header has it? I don't, but it obviously proves that I'm wrong. :laugh:

Also, www.yougetwhatyouwant.org/smashmods is the WIP I'll be working on.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
looks like you put <center> tags around that part of a header template somewhere in skinning options.
I jizzed in my pants at the mock-up Orca made. With vBulletin we could even have Forums be a tab and make it look right, even on the Forums pages.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
As it stands, we may need to hurry on a decision soon, if all we can agree on is phpBB then so be it.

NNID
Budget_Player
Seeing as we apparently have Dant who is going to code it, and he seriously favors phpBB? We can let him have it. I still say vBulletin (**** jews; I'm offering half and my mom is jewish >.>), but w/e. Actually, I could pretty much buy it on my own if I get some kind of payback from it somewhere (ad money comes to mind) (can never have too many licenses for this if you're an avid webmaster).

Also, there's a disagreement here in tab order for the projects... What should it be?
I'm going for B+ B- PM BB
The PM guys are going for B+ PM B- BB
I don't think there's much disagreement that B+ is first and BB is last.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
I suppose I'm going to come off as biased here, but Brawl- is a joke set whereas Project M is intended to be played competitively and is more serious. P:M also seems to have a bigger fan base, even before being anywhere near release.

I think it would be most fair to arrange it in whichever way (flip a coin, alphabetical, whatever) and then later on move them around based on number of hits to each page.

NNID
Budget_Player
I suppose I'm going to come off as biased here, but Brawl- is a joke set whereas Project M is intended to be played competitively and is more serious. P:M also seems to have a bigger fan base, even before being anywhere near release.

I think it would be most fair to arrange it in whichever way (flip a coin, alphabetical, whatever) and then later on move them around based on number of hits to each page.
This is where I'm not convinced.

<BPC> hardly a joke any more
<BPC> more like fine parody
<BPC> and I'd put Monty Python in front of Avatar any day
<Dantaritop> lol
<Dandy-tan> I'd put my ***** in front of a cloaca any day
<Dandy-tan> but that isn't related
<Dandy-tan> STAY ON TOPIC
<BPC> it is
<BPC> B- is like monty python-a sophisticated parody of other projects, insanely hilarious and tons of fun
<BPC> P:M is like avatar-an old story we all know and love, but pimped out with tons of extras and made graphically brilliant
<BPC> get me now?

Also, guy is ****ed up. I had to look up Cloaca and apparently humans don't have it. Lovely.

But yeah, B- is hardly a joke. Our fan base is rather large as well, in case you weren't paying attention. At least, this is the impression I get due to the noobs crowing again and again for sets. :laugh:

I don't really care (okay I do) but w/e.

EDIT: Alphabetical is a terrible idea because:
-It does not have B+ first
-It has BBrawl first

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Let's start with deciding what we're actually going to use as far as the backend (forum-wise) and what frontend (portal-wise) we're going to use. If we decide to use phpBB, then Dant will code something that will let us interact with phpBB; if we decide to use MyBB, k good luck with deciding what portal software we'll be using, but there's obviously a split in what we want to do.

Poll up

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Honestly guys, let's be realistic for a moment. Enough banter back and forth over which back end to use. Dantarion is going to code the website, and naturally I feel we should go with what he's in favor of (phpBB). We're not children, though we may be in favor of our own desire we can agree to disagree and settle on something. Why not settle on what the coder would prefer...?

Also, as for the order of the tabs-- I KNEW this would be an issue (okay so we all knew, lol). The funny thing is, we are all biased towards our own project-- well I'd assume. Ofcourse I'd like P:M to be first. I could give a ton of reasons-- perhaps later I will??? I truly do respect each of the mods, as I respect their goals and audiances, however I can't help but be biased.

There's absolutely No denying the level of hype surrounding P:M, the sheer number of people waitin for this mod. Though Brawl+ is excellent, and has a wealth of faithful followers, there's no question in my mind that it will be losing a TON of players to P:M. This is simply because P:M is what many had ALWAYS wanted B+ to be. Also, P:M is another serious mod, and what better tournament game than one that aims to bring back the speed and exciting ledge game that is Melee. However, is this reason enough to place P:M first? That I do not know.

Obviously, as Bionic said, we can vote on this next. There's got to be some way to do this realistically. LoL.

shanus

Smash Hero
Better idea. Figure out content before we decide on a layout since well, content governs layout.

Doesn't matter to me tab order. However, I think if we want to have a site that has serious traffic and actual content, we need to not be as close minded as to only showing the projects in the top bar.

We need room for something a la brawlvault, online matchmaking, forums, user content pages, etc

Also, lets not make this a pissing contest for who's project is better. Simply put, a functional site and tab order will have no influence on a projects success. Alphabetical order makes the most sense from a user standpoint.

I actually was thinking something like this:

Menu Bar up top:

Brawl Codesets (turns into drop down menu with list of all sets)----------Chat------------Forums-----------Matchmaking-------------Profile --------- Videos

Each can have its own dropdown of things. Clean, functional, not busy. This was my 2 minute idea.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
as I suggested, if the projects are going to be in the top menu bar then it can easily be randomized on page load and still look right if order becomes an issue. but seriously, Brawl+, P:M, B-, BB makes the most sense because it's more by popularity. we could actually get Analytics reports on which sections of the site are more popular and re-arrange them later if wanted.

I do like shanus' idea if it weren't for the fact that people might not like a drop-down just to be able to click on their project of choice. I don't care either way.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Honestly guys, let's be realistic for a moment. Enough banter back and forth over which back end to use. Dantarion is going to code the website, and naturally I feel we should go with what he's in favor of (phpBB). We're not children, though we may be in favor of our own desire we can agree to disagree and settle on something. Why not settle on what the coder would prefer...?
I wouldn't call a legitimate discussion over which of two backends with differing pros and cons is more suitable to our needs 'banter.' Save that label for arguing over whose mod is better.

I did some quick research on the two options, but I haven't voted because I don't feel I'm informed enough. However, given that money and long-term commitment are on the line, I don't think we should rush into this decision, regardless of however much we want to get the site up.

NNID
Budget_Player
Better idea. Figure out content before we decide on a layout since well, content governs layout.

Doesn't matter to me tab order. However, I think if we want to have a site that has serious traffic and actual content, we need to not be as close minded as to only showing the projects in the top bar.

We need room for something a la brawlvault, online matchmaking, forums, user content pages, etc
Well yeah, this is kind of a given. Although:
-We weren't sure if BrawlVault/User Content/etc. was mimicking SB too much
-Each codeset should really have their own tab...

Also, lets not make this a pissing contest for who's project is better. Simply put, a functional site and tab order will have no influence on a projects success. Alphabetical order makes the most sense from a user standpoint.
Meh, if, then by release date. IMO, there's something seriously wrong if B+ isn't first, mostly because it's "that big thing".

I actually was thinking something like this:

Menu Bar up top:

Brawl Codesets (turns into drop down menu with list of all sets)----------Chat------------Forums-----------Matchmaking-------------Profile --------- Videos

Each can have its own dropdown of things. Clean, functional, not busy. This was my 2 minute idea.
I don't really like it mostly because again, IMO, each codeset should have their own tab. And then there's matchmaking, which is best done on a project-by-project basis, right? Would be placed under each codeset tab. Chat? Same deal. Forums? Again, link to the respective section by tab. Profile... wut? Videos? Project specific. Again. However, drop-down menus on each section linking to the respective things is a great idea though.

I wouldn't call a legitimate discussion over which of two backends with differing pros and cons is more suitable to our needs 'banter.' Save that label for arguing over whose mod is better.

I did some quick research on the two options, but I haven't voted because I don't feel I'm informed enough. However, given that money and long-term commitment are on the line, I don't think we should rush into this decision, regardless of however much we want to get the site up.
This is a good post. I'm sorry for starting. Can we agree on release date?

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Yeah. I think the mod tabs are the best way to do things. I've already thought layout through... I've been extremely busy and haven't had a chance to add the actual page content. Or buttons tothe left content page box.

Once a mod tab has been selected, the box on the left will neatly list links related to THAT mod. So... On that left box you'll see videos, forums, news, change list, download, etc. This to me is very clean, and organized. A drop down menu wouldn't really be needed in this form of layout. Unless for times sake a drop down list could be added for arrow-over on the mod tab itself. Either way, mod tabs should stay.

Also, if you can login upon going to the website, like smashboards, you could either do that in the forum portion, or it could be added to the home screen.

For example, the home screen could contain a box to the right for login. Once logged in, it could show you user settings links, and avatar, below the tab structure. Or.. Perhaps that's only relevent to the forum portion.

My question is this... Dant mentioned making it so that new threads become news posts on the main page, and the comments are the replies in said thread. Are we still doing this? This has a good todo with layout and functionality.

Again... I think the content is pretty much thought out by now. I mean.. Have my ideas not covered the layout and content???

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Since I didn't get a vote (kinda expected this to happen too), I'll vote for phpBB since Dantarion is offering to code the frontend side of it.

Top Bottom