• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

User Blogs is the cesspool of SmashBoards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The replies are what UB great. Do you know why? It's a perfectly accurate portrayal of the person making the posts.

If peeps are constantly acting like complete ******* because they can, then that's because they are complete *******. I like it when everything is genuine, ya know?

As for me, yeah I'm an idiot, but I guess I can make a decent contribution if I try/don't get jumped on every time I do.

kek

Smash Apprentice
The replies are what UB great. Do you know why? It's a perfectly accurate portrayal of the person making the posts.

If peeps are constantly acting like complete ******* because they can, then that's because they are complete *******. I like it when everything is genuine, ya know?

As for me, yeah I'm an idiot, but I guess I can make a decent contribution if I try/don't get jumped on every time I do.

kek
I see nothing wrong with non-genuineness.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
About this thread:

It aint Falco
It's power level is over 9000
It needs to do a barrel roll
Everyone against the OP doesn't afraid of anything
Falconv1.0 PAWNCH!
WTF Lol FTW!
Guys MK is broken cause I can't beat him with Ganon
There is NO legitimate strategy for mining for fish. You just have to go with the flow
Weed is something that can be VERY fun but is a horrible thing to obsess over and waste your life. Moderation as always is the key.

Do you understand my point?

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
About this thread:

It aint Falco
Falconv1.0 PAWNCH!
WTF Lol FTW!
There is NO legitimate strategy for mining for fish. You just have to go with the flow
Weed is something that can be VERY fun but is a horrible thing to obsess over and waste your life. Moderation as always is the key.

Not exactly the greatest time/place to try being funny bro.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
But that's exactly my point. Who cares if I just spammed a random UB? Is it really slowing down this site's progress on any goal it hopes to reach? Was it really serious enough to cause a crackdown? No, it isn't. UBs are where you post whatever YOU want. The OP says whatever they feel and you say what you feel. The OP doesn't have any (you know what I mean...) guidelines so why should the poster?

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
But that's exactly my point. Who cares if I just spammed a random UB? Is it really slowing down this site's progress on any goal it hopes to reach? Was it really serious enough to cause a crackdown? No, it isn't. UBs are where you post whatever YOU want. The OP says whatever they feel and you say what you feel. The OP doesn't have any (you know what I mean...) guidelines so why should the poster?
That's not how forums work:ohwell:.
they're called THREADS for a reason, the following posts should stick to the first post's topic.

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
About this thread:

It aint Falco
Falconv1.0 PAWNCH!
WTF Lol FTW!

You're sooooo funny omgomgomgroflmao.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
There are things called "Global Rules." Perhaps you should read them?

Redson

Smash Journeyman
Oh. Why hello there. Your local neighborhood Redson- long time lurker of blogging and occassional poster- has come to add his two cents to this little debate.

I sincerely do not believe that the User Blogs have become a "cesspool of SmashBoards" in any sense. Quite the opposite, looking harder at it! The user blogs have spawned many a foul thread indeed, but what section of SmashBoards has NOT done that a few times? Maybe if people took initiative and reported threads that clearly went against the rules, or that were simply spam, or belonged in another area, we wouldn't have the problem. Everything that everyone has brought up here is easily changable by clicking the little triangle with the exclamation point on it, or informing your local neighborhood administrator. Instead of wasting a thread on this, why don't you take a form of action that won't start another useless debate going?

I've seen very interesting debates spawn from many blogs. I have participated in a few of said debates, and had a lot of fun in doing so. Many people write in their blog to make people think- and when people think, people will eventually end up debating. Humans will always try to prove their point, like it or not. So if you think that any section of SmashBoards will be without debate of any kind, I honestly believe that you're only making the User Blogs worse.

So what if people are *****ing about their girlfriends? Isn't that a blog? Aren't people writing about their advice? Its important to them- would you make them throw something like that into the Pool Room, where things are generally regarded as silly and unserious by nature? Then nothing would get done.

The User Blogs houses some of the most intelligent people on SmashBoards I've ever seen, and I think that the only thing hindering it from being one of the best boards on here is the fact that too many people *****, and not enough take action.

Sorry for the rant. iFail.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I'm going to blatantly admit that the only reason I came to UB was that I had a place to make posts where I would've gotten infracted for otherwise. I always love this forum, because it's really another way to release stress/anger/feelings on my keyboard on the internet.
I would get really sad if I couldn't see Teran be incredibly british, see Straked telling someone his /b/log is bad and he should feel /b/ad, seeing Heartz trying to give advice, but in the end make me lol, see Falcon make my day and other people who make me lol. The saddest part would be though that I can't post immature crap that is barely related to the subject.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'm going to blatantly admit that the only reason I came to UB was that I had a place to make posts where I would've gotten infracted for otherwise. I always love this forum, because it's really another way to release stress/anger/feelings on my keyboard on the internet.
I would get really sad if I couldn't see Teran be incredibly british, see Straked telling someone his /b/log is bad and he should feel /b/ad, seeing Heartz trying to give advice, but in the end make me lol, see Falcon make my day and other people who make me lol. The saddest part would be though that I can't post immature crap that is barely related to the subject.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. UB is one of the better sections on this site. I loved being able to mindlessly express whatever I wanted without thinking.

The rules have changed, and since then, it's been less enjoyable. But I really can't complain, I've only gotten one infraction here, and that was just for a simple one-liner on a blog that would've been closed 2 months before. Things are changing, and we just have to adapt. This really is a great place to be, since there's so much freedom. Let's not make it any harder on ourselves, and just follow whatever rules are instated.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
If anyone's wondering what I'm talking about, I'd like to point out that my legitimate blog got ignored for about an hour and a half before it got one post, then two hours later it got another post, and hasn't gotten another one since (discounting the reply I just gave it).

Meanwhile, a topic that can't even use proper grammar in its title and is just a 5-liner, spam-inducing topic, has 48. It's gotten more than 10 posts since I posted my legitimate blog.

Even better, that thread was dead nearly 3 weeks before somebody necroed it. Of ALL the threads to necro, "What is your top 5 characters" was it? Really?

/rant

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
This thread is truth. A lot of people are here because they can spam and get away with it >_>

And yes, UB IS the cesspool of SWF, if people want to spam and be dumb, Gfaqs is ---> way.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
^sounds like someone's jealous :(... why do you care that not a lot of people responded to your blog?
I don't have a problem with people not responding to my blog. And I'm not jealous. As Gf2tw said, some people just don't have anything to reply with.

The problem is that the spammy, crappy blogs generally get far more attention than legitimate blogs. How often do you see the really good, legitimate blogs bumped? More often than not it's the crappy ones that get necroed.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
From now on, I'm posting strictly in legit blogs that don't have anywhere else to go.

kthxbai

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I don't have a problem with people not responding to my blog. And I'm not jealous. As Gf2tw said, some people just don't have anything to reply with.

The problem is that the spammy, crappy blogs generally get far more attention than legitimate blogs. How often do you see the really good, legitimate blogs bumped? More often than not it's the crappy ones that get necroed.
When a thread gets necroed, of course it gets attention, because the jackals within us all want to tear the idiot who did it apart. The same applies for a crap blog. Everyone wants to tell them how bad their blog is. Saying how good a blog is, is just not as fun. :/

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
This thread is truth. A lot of people are here because they can spam and get away with it >_>

And yes, UB IS the cesspool of SWF, if people want to spam and be dumb, Gfaqs is ---> way.
UB isn't a cesspool of stupidity my friend.
The whole world is a cesspool of stupidity.

Yeah mate you're a Londonder right?
Chav and rude invasion anyone?

Get ****ing real, you will never be able to escape stupidity, and telling people how worthless and stupid they are doesn't make an ounce of difference.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I agree to an extent. No matter how many rules are enforced, there will always be stupid blog posts. But if more spam/flaming/trolling was brought to justice, they would probably be few and far between compared to earlier (or at least, there would be fewer ignorant/spammy replies).

If someone posts a lame blog, people shouldn't waste their breath telling the OP how stupid it is. Their post is just as useless as the blog itself.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
When a thread gets necroed, of course it gets attention, because the jackals within us all want to tear the idiot who did it apart. The same applies for a crap blog. Everyone wants to tell them how bad their blog is. Saying how good a blog is, is just not as fun. :/
Take a look at "Who is your top 5 characters". It didn't receive any such posts.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Take a look at "Who is your top 5 characters". It didn't receive any such posts.
Umm, so how can you judge that as a bad blog?
I think people really don't attack list blogs because 1.) this is really the only place on the forums where you can even post those, and 2.) people get to get even more involved in it.

I wouldn't count it as a bad blog or anything like that.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
It's not really a blog, but I really couldn't find anything that wrong with it.
With Blogs you have to be lucky to get posts, I made a blog (it was about crapping and was crap overall) and didn't get 1 reply. I felt bad too.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I agree to an extent. No matter how many rules are enforced, there will always be stupid blog posts. But if more spam/flaming/trolling was brought to justice, they would probably be few and far between compared to earlier (or at least, there would be fewer ignorant/spammy replies).

If someone posts a lame blog, people shouldn't waste their breath telling the OP how stupid it is. Their post is just as useless as the blog itself.
This is all well and good, but this is not utopia.
Basically, it's impossible to strike the perfect balance.

Just sit back and take advantage of whatever environment the place becomes.
Besides, this place, this "cesspool" bull****.

It's been this way since this thread.

Play Melee.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Wait Teran, are you excusing this place for being the way it is because "people are stupid" and "the whole world is a cesspool of stupidity"?

It's an honest question, because there are sections of the board that aren't like this, which is the reason the UB was pin-pointed in the first place. There are intermediate steps you can take to eliminate the reason for which the UB is being labeled as a cesspool.

Not allowing threads like the one you linked would be one of those steps.

bobson

Smash Lord
If anyone's wondering what I'm talking about, I'd like to point out that my legitimate blog got ignored for about an hour and a half before it got one post, then two hours later it got another post, and hasn't gotten another one since (discounting the reply I just gave it).

Meanwhile, a topic that can't even use proper grammar in its title and is just a 5-liner, spam-inducing topic, has 48. It's gotten more than 10 posts since I posted my legitimate blog.
Your blog was boring and long. The other blog was short and simple and gave people a chance to blather on meaninglessly about themselves. "Legitimate" or not, the other one encouraged people to reply and yours was just kind of there.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Wait Teran, are you excusing this place for being the way it is because "people are stupid" and "the whole world is a cesspool of stupidity"?

It's an honest question, because there are sections of the board that aren't like this, which is the reason the UB was pin-pointed in the first place. There are intermediate steps you can take to eliminate the reason for which the UB is being labeled as a cesspool.

Not allowing threads like the one you linked would be one of those steps.
Tough moderation is a method of control, because fear = control in many cases. Still, people will whine.

Thing is man, other boards have a lot more focus to them. For example, the Falco boards is for Falco discussion. Not much messing around.

UB has a very loose level of moderation by nature. Only Global Rules apply. Thus, since any topic within Global Rules is allowed, there can't me much control.

Like I said, UB is where people really show who they are.
If you ever read through my blog record, you won't see one waste of space blog except for my April Fools blog.

So basically, the world is a cesspool of stupidity, and with loose moderation, people will reveal any stupidity present to the maximum extent.

I don't act like an idiot on UB, but I suppose my behaviour may not be exemplary.

Did I just create a wall of text? You best have read all of it Space Boy.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Chill out, Stem Cell Boy, I read it. I agree with you:

And yes, that's fine that the UB's aren't heavily/over the top moderated, because it would defeat the purpose of the Blogs, but things like "haha okay cya later," or downright trolling is against Global Rules and members that do that should be fully penalized. Also, derailing topics and going off on tangents that sometimes lead to flame wars isn't allowed, whether it's the UB or the PR, which is the whole point this thread is trying to highlight.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
And yes, that's fine that the UB's aren't heavily/over the top moderated, because it would defeat the purpose of the Blogs, but things like "haha okay cya later," or downright trolling is against Global Rules and members that do that should be fully penalized. Also, derailing topics and going off on tangents that sometimes lead to flame wars isn't allowed, whether it's the UB or the PR, which is the whole point this thread is trying to highlight.
I totally agree man, but it's a moderator's job to deal with that, not mine.
Dealing with all these things is at a moderator's discretion...
I guess if you let them do what the f*** they want, they will until they get punished. Still, I know Jam infracted for downright line crossing posts (;)), but still, the anything goes nature of this room makes it a difficult one to keep in line properly without complaints for the two opposite reasons of over and undermoderation.

Basically, the whole direction of this room as a whole is up to the mods, and either way, people will whine. So, it's just a matter of personal preference. XD

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Umm, so how can you judge that as a bad blog?
I think people really don't attack list blogs because 1.) this is really the only place on the forums where you can even post those, and 2.) people get to get even more involved in it.

I wouldn't count it as a bad blog or anything like that.
The definition of a blog as given by Wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
A blog (a contraction of the term "weblog")[1] is a type of website, usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video.
Yeah, you can loosely take from that that it's supposed to be mostly content by the POSTER. Even if there's a question it's not the entire content of a blog. (I just made a rather fitting typo of that; "bog" instead of "blog".)

Even if it's not against the rules here, that doesn't make it a blog, it just means we're redefining the term "blog".

Also; why do you think this is the only place people can get away with this type of thread? Hm...

It's not really a blog, but I really couldn't find anything that wrong with it.
With Blogs you have to be lucky to get posts, I made a blog (it was about crapping and was crap overall) and didn't get 1 reply. I felt bad too.
Okay, I don't care so much about getting posts in my blog, I'm not really offended about mine in particular. I think people are misinterpreting what my post was trying to get across. I'm saying as a rule, my thread just being an example, people give much less attention to blogs which actually match the pre-existing definition of a blog.

Your blog was boring
Unnecessary comment is unnecessary.

Seriously, could you try, at some point, to not be so abrasive?

bobson

Smash Lord
I'm saying as a rule, my thread just being an example, people give much less attention to blogs which actually match the pre-existing definition of a blog.
So?
Who really cares?
If I find a reason to reply to a thread, I don't sit down and make sure it's a "proper" thread before replying. Being a blog by Wikipedia's definition is not a prerequisite.

Unnecessary comment is unnecessary.
You pointed out that people were replying to the other "bad" blog instead of your "good" blog. I pointed out that the "bad" blog encouraged people to reply, while yours did not. How is this unnecessary?

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
lol Falcon is insecure ^^
I posted a meme...If you think that's desperate for attention, look at least half of you 2000+ posts. If they aren't about how big your internet **** is, they're your desperate plea for respect ^^

Also, people need to realize calling someone's comment out isn't trolling. He said a comment was unnecessary and I disagreed. He didn't understand why no one commented on his blog. The answer? It was boring. If he can't handle the truth, he should get out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom