• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VGBC and Xanadu Present: Baltimore Brawl 2, 3/26/2011

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
This fits the pattern for me xD Play my absolute best and come in 7th at a national, and go to MD/VA and come in 17th place haha. I was placing too consistently with a trash character, something was bound to wrong =P

I'm really proud of my doubles performance with Lie, I learned a lot! Especially when Mekos coached us for a bit and we started to play 100 times more in sync. Damn dude seriously follow me everywhere and coach me please! Haha that advice you were giving was way too helpful <3

I don't mind not placing so well in singles bc Seagull is beast and we go back and forth =) Also I played D1aos the most in serious sets before bracket so I guess he figured me out lol good stuff. That SD at the end really characterized how I was feeling about singles that day.

I absolutely love MD/VA for holding mid tier tournaments!! Real talk it completely allowed me to get over my singles placing, redeem myself, and overall topped off an amazing experience for me. This was my first time attending an MD/VA local and if y'all are gonna always host mid tiers, well, that's the best way to get me to come =)

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Let's never host mid tier tournaments again then.

Just kidding.

But seriously. I would have enjoyed this tournament a lot more if I had left at eight. Don't attempt to do mid tier tourney and then start it at nine 'oclock. I'm also really disappointed in the lack of insight. Logic, you didn't start your set with June under the notion that "It's not like we're delaying mid tier." But your set delayed the timing of when the winner of your set played Lie, and that delayed Lie's involvement in mid tier. That alone delayed mid tier by at least an hour. So much of the bracket was waiting on Lie.

The entire mid tier tournament was held up by Malcolm (which couldn't be helped. In fact, he went out of his ways to play his match in Winner's Bracket. So props to him) and Lie (which could have been prevented.) Next time, get your **** in order. Stop waiting on livestream.

For real, every match I played in mid tier was "I don't really want to be here" vs. "I don't really want to lose to (insert your name here)." I'm sorry if I came off as rude to the players I faced in mid tier. The TOing was just disappointing and I personally had to get matches running. That's not my job.

Thanks for coming down NY/NJ and especially SOVA. Nice to see friendly faces again. Do come back soon.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Let's never host mid tier tournaments again then.

Just kidding.

But seriously. I would have enjoyed this tournament a lot more if I had left at eight. Don't attempt to do mid tier tourney and then start it at nine 'oclock. I'm also really disappointed in the lack of insight. Logic, you didn't start your set with June under the notion that "It's not like we're delaying mid tier." But your set delayed the timing of when the winner of your set played Lie, and that delayed Lie's involvement in mid tier. That alone delayed mid tier by at least an hour. So much of the bracket was waiting on Lie.

The entire mid tier tournament was held up by Malcolm (which couldn't be helped. In fact, he went out of his ways to play his match in Winner's Bracket. So props to him) and Lie (which could.) Next time, get your **** in order. Stop waiting on livestream.

For real, every match I played in mid tier was "I don't really want to be here" vs. "I don't really want to lose to (insert your name here)." I'm sorry if I came off as rude to the players I faced in mid tier. The TOing was just disappointing and I personally had to get matches running. That's not my job.

Thanks for coming down NY/NJ and especially SOVA. Nice to see friendly faces again. Do come back soon.
Next time we aren't going to allow people to enter mid tiers who are still in singles bracket. It just makes things run too long.

You need to stop over exaggerating though. Mid tiers started around 8:20 to 8:30 pm. Logic waiting on the live stream added about 20 minutes to how long mid tiers took. You were the only person stressing out about rushing mid tiers and thats why you walked around and rushed players. You made it your job yourself. Mid tiers could've been run faster by us but people were relaxing and enjoying them selves so we eased up a bit

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Not 20 minutes. Again, lack of insight. Giving Lie the time to play his mid tier match if Logic had played June during Lie's WF's would have made the upper half of Loser's Bracket go by while Grand Finals was occurring. Instead, we had all the following matches delayed:

Cheese v Lobos
Cheese v Me
Me v Izumi

and the rest of that side of Loser's.

Or you could look at it another way. Logic v June is done already by the time Lie loses in WF's. Lie immediately plays June while Malcolm can get both his Winner's and Loser's match done. Thus not delaying the OTHER HALF of mid tier Loser's Bracket.

But no matter how you look at it, it could have been done better. You don't measure time lost by how long Logic's set was. You measure time lost by opportunity cost. Rounds 3 and 4 of Mid Tier Loser's can't be done when Round 1/2 is being held up.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Next time we aren't going to allow people to enter mid tiers who are still in singles bracket. It just makes things run too long.

You need to stop over exaggerating though. Mid tiers started around 8:20 to 8:30 pm. Logic waiting on the live stream added about 20 minutes to how long mid tiers took. You were the only person stressing out about rushing mid tiers and thats why you walked around and rushed players. You made it your job yourself. Mid tiers could've been run faster by us but people were relaxing and enjoying them selves so we eased up a bit
Not true. I too asked them to play their matches because it makes things quicker for those who need to leave and do other events.

And not allowing people to enter mid tiers who're still in singles bracket is a pretty silly idea.

Example: If when I played June I couldn't play mid tiers because I was still in bracket then I'd forfeit to play mid tiers...

Edit: This is almost the same reason pound 5 bracket was delayed to Monday because they wanted so many matches recorded on the "Livestream commentary" setup.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Not 20 minutes. Again, lack of insight. Giving Lie the time to play his mid tier match if Logic had played June during Lie's WF's would have made the upper half of Loser's Bracket go by while Grand Finals was occurring. Instead, we had all the following matches delayed:

Cheese v Lobos
Cheese v Me
Me v Izumi

and the rest of that side of Loser's.

Or you could look at it another way. Logic v June is done already by the time Lie loses in WF's. Lie immediately plays June while Malcolm can get both his Winner's and Loser's match done. Thus not delaying the OTHER HALF of mid tier Loser's Bracket.

But no matter how you look at it, it could have been done better. You don't measure time lost by how long Logic's set was. You measure time lost by opportunity cost. Rounds 3 and 4 of Mid Tier Loser's can't be done when Round 1/2 is being held up.

Malcolm and Lie were on game 3 of winners finals when you asked PS and Junebug(who had to play losers semis) to play on another setup. So no, it did not delay mid tiers an hour. It delayed mid tiers 20 minutes because 20 minutes is howl long you had to wait for lie and Malcolm to finish winners finals.

And not allowing people to enter mid tiers who're still in singles bracket is a pretty silly idea.

Example: If when I played June I couldn't play mid tiers because I was still in bracket then I'd forfeit to play mid tiers...
What do you suggest I do if a player who is in singles bracket is holding up the side event over an hour since he has to play losers finals and Grand finals? Yeah, making junebug and Logic play on a normal setup would've helped by 20 minutes, but we had to wait far longer then that for Malcolm. So what do we do?

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Malcolm and Lie were on game 3 of winners finals when you asked PS and Junebug(who had to play losers semis) to play on another setup. So no, it did not delay mid tiers an hour. It delayed mid tiers 20 minutes because 20 minutes is howl long you had to wait for lie and Malcolm to finish winners finals.
Game 2, but that's beside the point.

Even as Logic and June played after, you should have had both Malcolm and Lie play their respective mid tier sets. (Malcolm did, Lie didn't.) Mid tier was ran as fast as possible without their involvement, but the fact is there were extra set-ups not being used, AND they could have. If Lie/Malcolm would have played their sets and then return to Regular Singles, all the matches following them would have been played DURING Loser's and Grand Finals. That doesn't save "20 minutes." That saves 3-4 Brawl sets.

As proof as such, did you even see what happened after Regular Singles was over? Only 2 set-ups out of the 6 available were needed for Mid Tier. Because only two sets could be played at a time since the rest of the bracket was done.

I can't blame Lie. It's the TO's job to have the foresight and plan accordingly. What happened last weekend looked more like a bunch of kids arranging a makeshift tournament in the basement of their mother's house.

Why is this even an argument? Let the results speak for itself. Mid Tiers didn't even finish until past eleven. What reasonable person (meaning not some loser with no life) wants to stay for a video game tournament that late?

I can't speak for NJ/NY, but if I knew I had a 3 hour drive waiting ahead of me, I would have preferred to have left earlier.

Could this have been avoided? Yes. Don't start a tournament at 8:30PM. Hell, I didn't even know mid tiers was going to be held. That should have been made official and registration and bracket should have started half-way through singles around 6-7, just like how every other region does their side events.

I'm really getting sick of the irresponsibility of this community: people with no rides, no job, and no respect for time. Grow up. Just because this is a kid's game doesn't mean you get to act like one.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Even as Logic and June played after, you should have had both Malcolm and Lie play their respective mid tier sets. (Malcolm did, Lie didn't.) Mid tier was ran as fast as possible without their involvement, but the fact is there were extra set-ups not being used, AND they could have. If Lie/Malcolm would have played their sets and then return to Regular Singles, all the matches following them would have been played DURING Loser's and Grand Finals. That doesn't save "20 minutes." That saves 3-4 Brawl sets.

What happened last weekend looked more like a bunch of kids arranging a makeshift tournament in the basement of their mother's house.
What reasonable person (meaning not some loser with no life) wants to stay for a video game tournament that late?
yo, noid, chill out man. you don't have to be so damn condescending. do us a favor and find a venue, get some setups, put in the time/money/work into running a tournament. oh wait.

i can understand you being upset about mid-tiers starting late but it started when it started and when you noticed mid-tiers was gonna start around 8:30PM you should have known not to enter. i knew before i entered that midtiers were gonna start late because of LF/WF/GF's so i'm not sure how you wouldn't have known.

I'm really getting sick of the irresponsibility of this community: people with no rides, no job, and no respect for time. Grow up. Just because this is a kid's game doesn't mean you get to act like one.
People with no rides is because people don't have cars. People with no jobs is because the economy sucks ***, or people or too young, or people don't have cars. And don't suggest that VGBC doesn't show respect for time, dude. Midtiers starts later than you'd like and suddenly the guys who throw the most amount of tournaments in our region "have no respect"? You're being salty as hell dude and I'm disappointed.

------------------

drama time!

Comparing Whobo to this is just insane. wow... Vinnie, Will, Inui, wow...
WHOBO
1: Ally
2: Razer
3: Dojo
4: ADHD
5: Vinnie
5: Atomsk
7: Shugo
7: Will
9: Inui

9: Logic
9: Tyrant
9: Trela

XANADU
1. Malcolm
2. Junebug
3. Lie
4. Logic
5. Meep
5. Takeover
7. Omni
7. Neo
9. Seagull
9. Vinnie
9. vVv Cheese
9. Nakat
13. VGBC GimR
13. NoId
13. D1AOS
13. Inui
17. Esoj
17. Darkflame
17. Kenny
17. Mekos
17. SSR
17. Speed
17. Will

2 Facts:
1.) Texas is fray?
2.) MD/VA held it doooown.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
No, Craig@single's first. I always record from the earliest saved replay to the last one. This means doubles is first. If people would like me to upload a specific set first because of the hype factor then let me know, because I'll take that into account. My test was pushed back, which gives me FREE time today to upload/record. I will not be using textures to record because I feel they interfere sometimes with the visibility of the match. Music will be on though. I'll make a video thread on smashboards when ready...

Omni

BRoomer
I hate when people upload Doubles first. I unsubscribe immediately!

Omni

BRoomer
If you find anything of me in there upload it plz.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
NOID is absolutely right about most of his post but we've all been to events where time management is not the greatest in some aspects, its how it is sometimes. I don't really mind an event running till like 10 or 11 because I've already committed the Saturday to the game but that's just me. I had a great time here regardless that's for sure. NOID would be an excellent assistant tho, pro observational skills.

Now, with that said about my boy NOID I must inform you all that he spent the car ride home telling me I'm a bad person for taking up his passenger seat because I don't have a car, only my tears were left behind on his soft leather interior.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Noid, you're right about one thing, I shouldve had lie play his mid tier match while he was waiting. I over looked that.

But, to say that the tournament wasn't run efficiently and that we didn't care about time is quite ridiculous. We brought 4 of our own full setups and we had singles down to to top 4 by 8 pm. We ran a side event which took extra time and me not noticing that lie really needed to play his match before losers finals is what caused a big delay. That's one mistake, and you're trying to morph that mistake into me being a lazy TO. That's untrue and disrespectful.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
i want to help with brackets more often. they always take forever /:< Sassy, NOVA, and Tant always let me help. i'm also a fellow panelist so i have to follow everyone's accomplishments and have an idea of where they stand.

i use to run a good chunk of the events in MD/VA dmmt

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Kenny, I'll definitely ask you to help next time. Also, good stuff doing so well against Omni. He's amazing at the snake match up.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
ty. he still 2-0'd me tho. i'll just have to get my revenge on SC2! (like i do to everyone that i'll never beat in brawl from MD/VA D: )

Omni

BRoomer
Haha, but you totally had me first game on Smashville. I was so use to Takeover's style you caught me off guard. And even when I tried to adapt you kept playing really solid. On your last stock I think you started getting nervous 'cuz I was able to keep you in the air much easier. But yeah man you played great in that set.

Come get some in SC!

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Turkeywonder 2:09 pm
i have a glitch that keeps occuring
the replays dont go past 5 minutes
they completely stop moving

Steven Chalker 2:09 pm
on doubles?

Turkeywonder 2:09 pm
is there a way to fix this
yes

Steven Chalker 2:10 pm
impossible to fix lol
replays have a macro limit

Turkeywonder 2:10 pm
why does this happen?

they can only store a set amount of controller inputs before it stops altogether

really...?

yeah
hence why singles works but doubles don't

so a time out
for doubles
would be impossible to record
on a saved replay
?

Steven Chalker 2:11 pm
yup
until someone makes a code for it

Turkeywonder 2:11 pm
so this has been
an ongoing thing
problem*

Steven Chalker 2:11 pm
yes

Sorry, but on some doubles vids it won't entirely finish. This has been an ongoing replay problem that I was discussing with Bionic.

Omni

BRoomer
(no order)
S-Tier: Junebug
A-Tier: Logic, Lie, Coney, Omni, NEO, Meep (LOL)
B-Tier: Boss, GIMR, Seagull

I don't know where to put Takeover. Sometimes he's A; sometimes he's B.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
That was back when you could randomly get top 3 right? Oh how times have changed.

~Atomsk

Good **** tho everyone. Showing Tristate who was better this weekend. I commend theeee.
still doesn't change the fact you lost to him and got 9th :troll:

falco03

Smash Lord
i got something for you next time [:

omni i dont think june ihas his on tier.
takeover beats him
my matches are close and coney can also beat him

so its false

june
lie/neo
logic coney omni
meep

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
(no order)
S-Tier: Junebug
A-Tier: Logic, Lie, Coney, Omni, NEO, Meep (LOL)
B-Tier: Boss, GIMR, Seagull

I don't know where to put Takeover. Sometimes he's A; sometimes he's B.
B-Tier could also include Pink Fresh most likely. He just isn't active enough to show it anymore because of his job being a waitress/hostess at Red Robin.

Also, the doubles matches are almost all up (Except for a few friendlies, which I'll record after singles). I wish you guys saved EVERY replay because I have ALOT of partial sets :/...

Comment on the video's if the round order is wrong for ____ stage. I would like a set count for double's Grand and Winner's finals. All of Loser's finals was saved.

Omni

BRoomer
Chu officially quit, didn't he? Has he been in any tournies this season?

Top Bottom