• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] 3 Stock'd ~ Melbourne 2010 ~ Nope

C~Dog

Smash Champion

~~~~ INTRO ~~~~

Overview
Vermy and I will be running monthly Brawl tournaments for the duration of the 2010 season. Much thanks to Jei for the write up.

Melee
If you're looking for Melee tournaments in Melbourne, check out Couch Warrior's Stigma Hybrid thread.

~~~~ INFO ~~~~

Next Tournament
Saturday 28th August

Schedule (may be subject to change)
12:00 - Doors Open. Setup and Friendlies
12:45 - Registration
01:00 - Doubles Bracket
04:00 - Break
04:30 - Singles Bracket
09:45 - Packup/Friendlies
10:00 - Doors Close.

Cost
- Venue Fee: $5 per person
- Singles: $5 per person
- Doubles: $5 per team
- Bonus Events (Low Tier, Crews, Scrambled Eggs, etc): Free

What to Bring
- A controller. Gamecube Controllers are optimal, if you don't have one check out Play Asia. Wiimotes, Wiimote/Nunchucks and Classic controllers are fine, however they are discouraged due to battery life, connection issues, unreliablity and time hindrance. The GameCube controller is preferred.
- TVs and Wiis. We need as many people to be TVs and Wiis as possible. Vermy and I will really appreciate any people who bring them, we can't do it without you guys.
- Money for food. the Convent there are a number of places to buy food and drinks including a kickass bakery and a cafe that allows you to pay whatever you feel like. More like a donation than a price. There's a bar there too for you Smashers who need their alcohol fix.

Prizes
There will be cash prizes for the winners of each tournament, the amount depending on the number of people who turn up. There will also be some novelty prizes up for grabs, as well as some good stuff for the top 3 players on the Ranbats at the end of the season.
- Singles: 1st 60%; 2nd 30%; and 3rd 10%
- Doubles: 1st 70%; 2nd 30%

Venue
The tournament will be held at the Abbotsford Convent Foundation.

1 St Heliers Street, Abbotsford VIC 3067

MELWAY REFERENCE: 44 G5

The Abbotsford Convent

Abbotsford Convent is an extraordinary place and is fast becoming an important arts, educational and cultural precinct in Melbourne. Just 4 kilometres from Melbourne CBD, its 11 historic buildings, gardens and car park are spread over 6.8 hectares in a sweeping bend in the Yarra River and are surrounded by the Collingwood Children's Farm and Yarra Bend

Getting there via Train: Victoria Park station on the Epping and Hurstbridge lines is the closest railway station to the Abbotsford Convent. Please note that some services express past Victoria Park station. Once out of the station and on Johnston St, walk east (away from the City) down Johnston St for around 12 minutes to Clarke St. Turn right into Clarke Street (the last right before the Yarra) and left into St Heliers St. The main entrance to Abbotsford Convent is on the right of St Heliers St before you reach the Collingwood Children's farm.

Via Tram: Catch any tram down Victoria St Abbotsford/Richmond and get off at Nicholson St Abbotsford (or Lennox St Richmond). Walk north up Nicholson St all the way to Abbotsford St and turn right. At the end of Abbotsford St turn left into Clarke St and then right into St Heliers St. This is a 20-25 minute walk.

Via Bus: From the City- the 200 City to Doncaster Shoppingtown/ Bulleen, The 201 City to Doncaster Shoppingtown/ Bulleen, and the 207 City to Doncaster Shoppingtown/ Donvale depart from Melbourne Central/ Lonsdale St in the city, run along Lygon St, Elgin St then Johnston St. Alight at Clarke Street bus stop (before Johnston Street crosses the Yarra). Turn right at Clarke St then turn left into St Heliers St. The 205 Melbourne University to Doncaster Shoppingtown begins at Melbourne University then proceeds down Elgin and Johnston St and pasts Clarke St.

Via Car: The Abbotsford Convent is located at the end of St. Heliers St, Abbotsford. The easiest way to get here is to go via Johnston St then onto Clarke St then into St Heliers St (See MELWAYS Ref 44 G5).

All day parking is available in the carpark opposite the site on St Heliers St for $4.00

Once you reach the Convent, there will be signs up around the area pointing you in the correct direction.

The Rosina Auditorium

"Deep in the heart of the Rosina building is a beautiful big old Auditorium that lends itself perfectly to rehearsals and workshops for the performing arts. The Rosina Auditorium is a community access space of the Abbotsford Convent. It is ideal for workshops, rehearsals, research and development, warm up and physical classes.

Rosina Auditorium is a large area consisting of a proscenium stage with a dividable back stage area that can be separted by concertina dividing wall, two smaller back rooms and an outdoor courtyard area that is perfect for break outs. It features ground floor access, strong timber floors, mirrored wall with curtains.

The Rosina Auditorium is 22m x 13.5m sq. The height from ceiling to floor is approx 5m."

Please Note
The Convent nor the Tournament Organizers are responsible for any lost or damaged equipment eg. TV's, controllers etc. so please take extra care of your belongings and label them if you must.

~~~~ RULESET ~~~~

This month's Stagelist and Ruleset will be the same as the one which will be used at Thriller.

• Match Settings: 3 Stock | 8 Minute Timer | Items set to "off" and "none"
  • Matches are played as best of three sets. Championship and Finals (Winners, Losers Semi, Losers) sets are best of five.
  • Matches ending with suicide moves that result in Sudden Death have the initiator of the move declared winner.
  • (A) In the case of a match going to time, Sudden Death is not played.
  • A player may not select a stage which they have already won on in the set, unless the opponent agrees.
  • Players are responsible for their own controllers (including connectivity, battery life, etc) and control settings.
    [*]No unnecessary pausing of the game.
    [*](B) Stalling is banned.
    [*]Actions that cause glitches and/or game freezes which prevent the game from continuing are the responsibility of the player.
    [*]Extension (Infinite or otherwise) of Meta Knight's Dimension Cape / Down B is banned.
The above listed yellow actions may result in the player responsible forfeiting the MATCH or SET. Tournament Organiser's disgression.

General Rules

• Playing non-tournament matches without a Tournament Organiser's consent may result in disqualification.
  • Players may forfeit games and/or sets if their match has been called by a TO and is not started within reasonable time. Please inform a TO of any situations that may hinder you from playing.
  • Players have the right to remove an SD card from a wii before play.
  • Homebrew / Modded Wiis must NOT alter game play, characters or stage designs. Stage/Character textures or replacement music must not make the game unplayable or uncomfortable for an individual player.
  • Have a shower and use deodorant.

A) Time Out Procedures:

In the case of a time out the winner(s) of the match are declared by (in order):
  1. (Singles Only; Meta Knight only) If the player has more than 25 Ledge Grabs they forfeit the match.
  2. Highest [combined] stock count.
  3. Lowest [combined] percentage.
In the case of not being able to declare a winner, a One Stock Four Minute Decider is played with the same characters and stage.
In the case of the Decider time out with the previous conditions, Sudden Death is played out.

B) Stalling
The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set Procedure
  1. Opponents select their ports*.
  2. Opponents choose their characters. Double blind selection may be called if a player wishes it.
  3. Opponents strike the starter stages one at a time until there is one remaining*. The first match of the set is played on said stage.
  4. After the match is played the winner may declare a legal stage banned.
  5. The previous match's loser selects a remaining legal stage to be played on.
  6. If the previous match's loser wishes to, they may also counterpick a port.
  7. The winner of the previous match picks character first. The loser then picks their character.
  8. Steps 4-7 are repeated until a set is completed.
(*)In the case of dispute, a best of one Rock, Paper, Scisors match is played. The winner may select preferred port OR which opponent strikes first. The loser obtains the unselected option.

Legal Stage List

Starter
  • Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Smashville
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Pokémon Stadium

Counterpick
  • Final Destination
  • Castle Siege
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Halberd
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Brinstar
  • Pictochat

All other stages are Banned.

Doubles Subset
  • Life Stealing is allowed.
  • Team Attack set to ON
  • Port Selection, unless in mutual agreement must be in a 1221 format (team 1/team 2)
The following stages are moved to Counterpick for Doubles
  • Pirate Ship
  • Green Greens
  • Rainbow Cruise
  • Pokémon Stadium 2
  • Jungle Japes
  • Norfair

If you disagree with any of the stages, please feel free to post your concerns in the thread and we will review them. If I believe you have a good enough argument for the status of a stage, we will take that into account when we next review the Stagelist. However, please remember that Vermy and I are running these tournaments, and we will do so as we see fit.

~~~~ Other Stuff ~~~~

Contact
If you have any questions at all, please contact me or Vermy via PM or the following.

Condog
MSN: [COLOR="Lime"]condog111@hotmail.com[/COLOR]
Moblie: 0448 740 330

Vermy
MSN: [COLOR="Lime"]vermy_@live.com[/COLOR]
Moblie: 0438 666 804

Shirts
Vermy also makes custom shirts, contact him if you're interested. This space will be updated with details regarding sizes, colours, designs etc in the near future.

Vermy

Smash Champion
~~~~ RANKING BATTLES ~~~~

~~~~ RESULTS ~~~~

3 Stock'd I - January 24/01/10 - http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9383242&postcount=205

3 Stock'd II - February 07/02/10 - http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9504983&postcount=407

~~~~VERMY THE WIDOWMAKER'S RULES ~~~~
1. Your match will be called out and you will be looked for, if within 5 minutes you have not commenced your match, you will lose that first round. After another 5 minutes you will lose the next round, and consequentially lose the set. For example:

-Names are called, lets say "Player 1 vs Player 2, winners bracket"
-5 minutes pass, and Player 2 is not to be found, he/she forfeits first match.
-An additional 5 minutes pass, Player 2 is still not found, he forfeits the entire set and is sent directly to loser's bracket

2. STRICTLY NO FRIENDLIES WHEN I HAVE ANNOUNCED SO. If I am ignored, I'm going to start turning off Wiis, and busting heads and sh*t. I'm not kidding. I will eat your mother's ovaries like egg salad.

3. All TV+Wii combinations that are able will be used for Brawl, unless stated otherwise. If you want to play Mario Kart or Melee or Smash 64, great. Do it somewhere else.

4. Vermy is thy God, all shall kneel before me. I.E, rules are rules, deal with it or GTFO. I will be tyrannical.

5. If you are not there for registration, you will not be entered into the tournament. No registering over the phone. Even if you're "just around the corner". No pay, no play.
6. HAVE FUN. EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0spFY1I2NQ

~~~~ Frequently Asked Questions ~~~~

Q: Who the Hell are you guys?

A: I'm Vermy, the other bloke who does like 80% of the work is Condog. We're here to f*ck sh*t up.

Q: Why do you host? And where does my money go?

A: We love the game, we love the Smash Community in general. We fund it ourselves, and the charges on the day go straight towards things like venue hire costs, the pot (cash prizes for those who place top 3 in singles and for the top 2 teams). In the future we may set aside some cash for a "Smash Bank", but when that happens we'll let you know.

Q: How old is the average Smasher?

A: Our Smashers are aged between 12 and 25, but of course those over and under those ages are more than welcome.....but if you are a sexual predator, I must warn you. There's mostly dudes and I'm a bit of a crazy person so if you try anything I'll rip out your jugular and come at you like a spider monkey. And my good friend Ugly will stand and look formidable. Grr.

Q: Anything I need to bring?

A: Since our tournaments are self supported, we need as many TV and Wii setups with Brawl as possible. But if you can't do that, bring a controller, $15 for the entry fees (and maybe a little extra for some munchies) and a big ol' smile on yer face. =D

Q: Loser says what?

A: What? .....oh. OHHHHH. I see. I've been tricked to seem like quite to fool for self admission to ridicule. Jolly good.

Q: Do you guys play Super Smash Bros Brawl exclusively at these tourneys?

A: Not entirely. I bring along my entire home PC setup, which has various games already on it (Street Fighter 3rd Strike, Street Fighter 4, Melty Blood: Actress Again, Marvel VS Capcom 2 etc), and a few Smashers bring along Nintendo DS' with games like Mario Party DS, Pokemon and Jump Ultimate Stars. You're free to play them, so long as they don't interfere with the Brawl tourney. Although if you bring a TV with another console (other than wii), we won't take too kindly to it, since we need as many TVs as possible for Brawl to run smoothly. We may run casual side tourney's like Stree Fighter 4 or Soul Calibur 4 in the future.

Q: It's my first tournament what should I expect?

A: Friendly faces, (except mine. Kiddies don't like my face) fierce competition and a veritable human tapestry of Smash encyclopedia at your disposal. I.E. We know our sh*t, ask around about your character and you'll find someone to chat to. We're all a little different, and come from all different walks of life, but come up and say hi, we'll all get along just fine. EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!

Q: What is "pools" and "seeding"?

A: Pools is where we split up all of the players for singles into sub-groups. Each group will have the top players distributed evenly as possible, along with intermediate and novice players. Within each group every player has 2 matches against everyone else within their pool. Wins count for points to make it into the main Singles bracket. Each match won equals 1 point next to your name. So for example (in a 5 man pool where top 3 go through):

Vermy: 3 points
Condog: 4 points
Ugly: 1 point (lol!)
Tibs: 6 points
Earl: 6 points

Tibs and Earl have what is called "Grade A seeds". Because they both came first in their pool, they must play one match as a tie breaker. The winner gets the Grade A seed, and the loser will get the Grade B seed, and of course the 3rd highest scoring player takes the Grade C seed. From here, we set it up so that the double elimination bracket is as "fair" as possible. so a Grade A player will fight a grade C player, and two Grade B players will play each other. In loser's bracket, then the losing B grader and the loser of the A vs C (most likelt to be the C grade) will have their match. This ensures a fair bracket. You fight for your place, and if you're a high level player, won't fight someone of equal skill level until you're deeper into the bracket.

Confusing? Sh*t yeah. You'll get it eventually. =]

Q: I don't like that _____ stage/rule is allowed/banned. Who do I talk to about that?

A: Myself and Condog. We make the final decisions. You can ask away on the forums, or personally at a tourney or over msn/phone, but generally we have a very good understanding of the competitive Brawl scene, so we do know what's best. But we are always open for discussion. =)

Vermy

Smash Champion
Pre-season gets everyone warmed up and used to the tourney scene again, and the "pre-season" title has less pressure on it as there will not be any points be given out for top 8 until season starts. Players are encouraged to test out new mains, strats, etc.

That being said, myself and Condog would like to encourage the other 2 Brawl tourneys to discuss a single ruleset/stagelist to use, and make a Melbourne tourney standard.

We don't intend on these tournaments "competing" with the other 2, but rather co-operating with them. 2010 is looking to be a big year for Smash guys, get hyped!

Also, ideas for names for our Tourneys will be appreciated.

_X_

Smash Lord
Pre-season gets everyone warmed up and used to the tourney scene again, and the "pre-season" title has less pressure on it as there will not be any points be given out for top 8 until season starts. Players are encouraged to test out new mains, strats, etc.

That being said, myself and Condog would like to encourage the other 2 Brawl tourneys to discuss a single ruleset/stagelist to use, and make a Melbourne tourney standard.

We don't intend on these tournaments "competing" with the other 2, but rather co-operating with them. 2010 is looking to be a big year for Smash guys, get hyped!

Also, ideas for names for our Tourneys will be appreciated.
Current rule-sets for our (A', mine etc.) 2010 Smash are under discussion. Although a unified state-wide rule-set seems logical, it would have to comply with popular opinion and logic. We may experiment, we may not.

Jei and myself ran 'rules' on a case basis where as something became apparently 'broken' (mostly stalling techniques), we would deal with accordingly.

I doubt a unified stage list will happen. Opinions vary too widely, but we'll see.

- X

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Current rule-sets for our (A', mine etc.) 2010 Smash are under discussion. Although a unified state-wide rule-set seems logical, it would have to comply with popular opinion and logic. We may experiment, we may not.

Jei and myself ran 'rules' on a case basis where as something became apparently 'broken' (mostly stalling techniques), we would deal with accordingly.

I doubt a unified stage list will happen. Opinions vary too widely, but we'll see.

- X
A statewide rules list sounds like a great idea. A unified stagelist would be good too, i think its mostly going to be the Counter Picks which will be different, the Neutrals should be easy to agree on.

Tanman

Smash Journeyman
Name the tourny after the previous winner of singles in the last tourny. Consecutive wins adds a # next to the tourny, so we can see who's dominated the tourny the longest.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
There is a problem with the venue. I called the Convent Today, and they are no longer hiring space to any gaming organisations, due to "high maintenance requirements" and "venues left in poor conditions".

I'm gonna start looking around for a new venue, until then its TBA.

ViVa

Smash Ace
There is a problem with the venue. I called the Convent Today, and they are no longer hiring space to any gaming organisations, due to "high maintenance requirements" and "venues left in poor conditions".

Those *******s :mad:

Tanman

Smash Journeyman
Lame. And After I've spent so long memorising the route to the convent. Expect delays if I attend this on the first day, as I'll likely get lost.

Nixernator

Smash Ace

Woo Tournament at Conor's house. Make your own way there and back, mass plane bookings can save money.

Ugly Man

Smash Apprentice
Aye he's right.

burlywood is not a colour :mad:

Burlywood is the color of epic items in Diablo II. And considering I played Diablo II for more than a third of my life (seriously, I played Diablo II for over eight years), I feel it is fitting to use it whenever I can.

Splice

Smash Hero
Burlywood is the color of epic items in Diablo II. And considering I played Diablo II for more than a third of my life (seriously, I played Diablo II for over eight years), I feel it is fitting to use it whenever I can.
I respect this statement. Does this imply you are 24+?
Ban Castle Siege.

Vermy

Smash Champion
The wookiee isn't 24 lol, he's the same age as me. ...or rather what I'm turning on Saturday. Which is 22. born in 1987. Great year. Transformers exploded in popularity and Slayer released their amazing album Reign In Blood.

At this point in time, Castle Seige and Delfino Plaza will be D3 banned, for the aforementioned reasons of walkoffs. Team stagelist may differentiate, as certain stages become more viable with more players on the field.

Also, costs for entry may be subject to change, as we are still in search of a venue that can cater to our needs. We are looking at the following:

We need a relatively central (I.E. City/richmond/Collingwood/N Melb) spacious, power points, tables, chairs, close to public transport/food/parking, and of course, are open to hosting us throughout the length of 2010. If anyone knows of a venue, please contact myself and Condog immediately.

Splice

Smash Hero
Team stagelist may differentiate, as certain stages become more viable with more players on the field.
I'm happy for this; I was hoping you would do it.
Perhaps Pictochat,
Pirateship,
Luigis Mansion (seeing as with 2 people a lot of the normal gay stuff there can be stopped easily),
Norfair (This stage is mainly banned in some places because of camping rather than the lava, and in doubles the type of camping this stage is considered unviable is not possible, until there is one player left of course for each team)
and possibly Japes (although I'd expect more people to get owned by the water in doubles).

Vermy

Smash Champion
Pretty much spot on there, Splice.

Also, id like to start conversation on whether Pokemon Stadium II should be a legal stage in singles and/or teams. I personally can't see anything "broken" on it, but I'd like the community's input. =)

Vermy

Smash Champion
Shaya....WHAT DID I JUST SAY!? PRICES SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

Wubs all the same, thx fer stopping by.

Atlasmist

Smash Journeyman
our number count is around 30 i imagine i wonder if we are going to have a bigger turnout this year i surely hope so

Tanman

Smash Journeyman
Floatiness is a very horrible thing for many characters. Treadmills make approaching hell and camping very easy. Ice is awesome for crazy F-smash sliding. Dirt isn't too bad. That's my opinion on Pokemon Stadium 2.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
if by active you mean, you run the most tourneys and your players go out of state to other tourneys more then any other scene, well then I think you've just perfectly described nsw lol.

on a more serious note, has anyone ever CP'd ps2 ever?

Vermy

Smash Champion
Tak, you will always have a place within ASSAULT. Yoshi is underused in Australia, and with Jei departing from Brawl, even more so now.

Hypehypehypehype.

Top Bottom