• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique Thread

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
yea, teams with samus isnt easy. i would also def like some concrete info on DI. I feel that great DI is a huge part of this game, and it's something that i can def improve at.

here's a doubles match from the big house 2. so many unfortunate events. i really need to work on selecting my moves/when i attack. also, among the many things i learned at this tourny, i def learned that ledgehop fair is very very punishable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxGk9KlKcpM&feature=plcp

also, i faced a lot of spacies. i feel i'm getting better at these MU's but i seem to always miss the last step in an edgeguard. what am i missing? maybe i should simplify my edgeguards? also, a specific question: what do you do when u get a spacie decently off stage but at a fairly low percent? i dont know if i should go out there or just go for a lot of utilts and other basic edgeguarding stuff.
vs Chexr (Fox): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DagZvtMUtTM&feature=plcp
vs HandsomeJoe (Falco): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YljiztOmqIA&feature=plcp

abcool

Smash Ace
yea, teams with samus isnt easy. i would also def like some concrete info on DI. I feel that great DI is a huge part of this game, and it's something that i can def improve at.

here's a doubles match from the big house 2. so many unfortunate events. i really need to work on selecting my moves/when i attack. also, among the many things i learned at this tourny, i def learned that ledgehop fair is very very punishable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxGk9KlKcpM&feature=plcp

also, i faced a lot of spacies. i feel i'm getting better at these MU's but i seem to always miss the last step in an edgeguard. what am i missing? maybe i should simplify my edgeguards? also, a specific question: what do you do when u get a spacie decently off stage but at a fairly low percent? i dont know if i should go out there or just go for a lot of utilts and other basic edgeguarding stuff.
vs Chexr (Fox): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DagZvtMUtTM&feature=plcp
vs HandsomeJoe (Falco): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YljiztOmqIA&feature=plcp
I can't help with the doubles stuff, because i am still trying to figure that out. but dude!! you had both those sets! I think it was just nerves at the end though. Anyway, the thing about space animals mains is that they don't wanna keep repeatedly be hit back offstage, so if you get one off a good distance at low percents they will always wanna sweetspot the ledge, doing anything else means they are knocked back off to attempt another recovery. So, look at how they angle themselves from the stage, you can cover more options if you force them to recover high. Basically edgehog is what i am saying, if they are doing firefox/bird they will go high or angle down if slightly above the ledge, you just gotta learn their angling. Throwing out a missile once in awhile isn't bad though. I didn't watch the singles matches, but i'll give feed back when i do.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
alright, thanks. i'll try to focus on edgehogging more.
yea, we def had those matches! that was my problem all tourny, losing sets i should've won. i def could've won both those singles matches.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
yeah, hold on. youtube apparently demoted me for some reason

Andymosity

Smash Journeyman
I'm definitely gonna try to incorporate weak missiles more at Kings of Cali this weekend. Wish me luck guys! I'll try my best to make it far enough in bracket so you can check out some samus action on the live stream!

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
How come nobody does the SH weak missile on BF (you have to be moving forward)? I feel like I'm the only one that does it...it's so good.
Every time I consider doing a SH homing missile on BF (and other plat stages), I just do some hardcore plat super missile camping instead. SH > super MC > drop thru plat > super MC. I do use the SH weak missile on FD, though. It's really good. :)

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
Is it better than the DJ weak missile cancel in any way? Faster or something? because i don't really mind doing the DJ to get weak missile cancels. that said, i could still probly use them more.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I know, but you can do the super missile (less startup than himing) on BF without using the DJ, too. Actually, now that I think about it, I DO use the homing missile during my missile camping, but only on the plats. Unfortunately, there's a really big blind spot on the ground where the homing missiles can't reach. It's around the halfway point of the stage onwards, so it's hard to use the homing missiles to catch opponents on the ground and if the opponent is far away, I'd much rather use two super missiles. They're scarier and if the opponent is hit by anything, it resets the whole situation. :p Just my personal preference.

Btw, speaking of double jumps, the fastest way to missile camp on DL64 is to insta-DJ (roll your finger from Y to X) > MC. You can FH instead, but it's much slower since her DJ rises faster without going as high.

Edit: I'm not sure which is faster between SH and DJ (on other stages), but when I see Phanna doing it sometimes, he SH's.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
i also prefer super missiles for those same reasons. however, if i'm playing against a super-safe, and patient player and they seem unaffected by double super missiles, i'll platform MC a homing missile and drop and super MC, then run after it. i like how the combination of the slower missile and and the super missile. i feel that it can help me get in against campy players. and forces different/sometimes bad reactions. i use them in edgeguarding sometimes too. just to force an umcomfortable recovery. so, i just use them to try and mix up my game and throw of my oppenent i guess.

ycz12

Smash Ace
Hey Samus board! I played some really close tournament sets last weekend that got recorded; here's a couple:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVngR-fAJBU (Check out 5:40!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6ptEubg6gQ

I don't really have any specific questions at the moment, but any advice is appreciated. Preferably more specific than "stop missing grabs against Marth".

Oh, and what do people think of the lightshield > nair edgeguard against Marth (see 1:00 in the second video)? It eliminates the edgehog vs. on-stage guessing game nicely when Marth is low, but is also sometimes very finicky (see 4:15 in the same video).

Random tip I learned over the summer: Bombs completely stuff Luigi's approach. Exploit this fact heavily, especially on FD.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
For edgeguarding Marth, if you see him going low, you can edgeghog and if he makes it onto the stage, you can ledgehop > dair > bair/Charged Shot, or you can just get up and dsmash if you're below 100%. One thing I see Duck do a lot is grab the ledge and let go > DJ nair with his ledge invincibility. It stuffs his recovery pretty badly.

ycz12

Smash Ace
When is the nair supposed to hit? Seems like it'd be tricky to both hit them away from the stage and connect with the hardest hit.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
You throw it out right when you feel Marth is going to/has to upB. If you do it a little early, it should be fine because the weak hit is enough to gimp Marth. Oftentimes when I see Marth falling to recover low, I just run off and throw out nair. Even if I throw it out early, Marth ends up trading with the weak hit and dies. Also, the strong hit stage spikes if it doesn't hit him away from the stage.

Violence

Smash Lord
So basically, what you want to do is ledgehop nair back onto the stage. This leaves the back part of your hitbox out, which will hit them away from the stage, and because you're traveling diagonally up and towards the stage, your hitbox will be larger than normal, giving it higher priority than Marth's up B. Even PewPewU, Taj, Tai, some of the ridiculous Marths I've played can't challenge it, they have to trick me into doing it and sweetspot the ledge. It's pretty much your numero uno option.

Other things I've used: walk off nair is fine, but the really good move is to wavedash back off the ledge, instantly nair. With your front facing the stage, you can fast fall it to get a better angle, which often screws up Marths who normally go way under your walk off nair. Also, it allows you to have a grapple to hit them with, or to use with grapple wall jump shenanigans.

Also, dropping a bomb to mess with their sweet spot, then grabbing ledge is a fine option, or utilting when the bomb knocks them off of their sweet spot. Difficult, but powerful.

DarrellD

Smash Ace
Just grab the ledge and refresh your invinciblility. Marth's recovery is really similar to dr mario's. Dont get intimidated by a move that does very little to you. Just stay on the ledge and punish accordingly.

You missiles in place a lot on FD amd I didn't understand why. You weren't fighting for stage because you became stationary while Marth did fair and jabs to combat the missiles. You just became an easy target for a spacing Marth. And also, you crouch every spaced aerial and tried to smash. CCing isn't meant to retaliate when Marth hits you, It's to make sure marth doesn't combo you into oblivion. Dash dance more amd don't let him get his spacing on you!

Kid

:phone:

Violence

Smash Lord
I like to use cc dtilt rather than cc dsmash because it combos into uair which lets you shoot a missile afterwards for more zoning, and places Marth where he doesn't want to be.

DarrellD

Smash Ace
I want to travel to one of these regions amd play some random guys. Win a tournament or two >.>

Geist

Smash Master
yeah the spacies here spook rather easily
sion and blunted_object played balls to the wall all the time though, I miss that

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I can't deal with a campy Falco who's actually on-point in CQC. He could play the whole game in my face and it would still be close, but he just lames it out whenever there happens to be space between us. In his own words, he "doesn't care." I thought not caring to these spacees meant they'd go all-in. :ohwell:

Pluplue

Smash Ace
He probably meant he doesn't care that you're mad or frustrated about his camping.

You can always push them to the edge, where you have a point when he has to get past you to camp more. That's the only time you're gonna hit him if he's camping non-stop so make it count.

Also pushing them to the edge might sound like a slow process, but running at them and shielding is an easy and quick way to force something to happen.

Violence

Smash Lord
Plup is probably the best Samus at zoning people with invisible actions. It's very fun to watch. He just positions himself such that he has greater option coverage and forces the space animal back until he can poke with impugnity.

Top Bottom