• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread: The Best of each Character

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
On a side note: sorry OS...I just noticed clips from both anther and kishsquared were against you. Unfortunately matches of a characters best..generally show them being their best..
Meh. Doesn't bother me. I beat them both and got first in those tournaments XD

AmishTycoon

Smash Cadet
Hello,

This thread is very helpful and is easy to access, but i don't think that "the best of each character video" should be a video of the character losing.

Take Care,

AmishTycoon

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
^Well, if I had videos of BB winning I would post those instead. You have to admit, Sonic vs Snake 3 months ago was a pretty bad match up by all means. It's a little more even now (with an emphasis on the word "little"), but given that it was Psycho ****** he was playing I think BB put up a good show.

pKNeM

Smash Cadet
LOL OS..thats exactly why I mentioned it :p I saw you won both sets..but the ones where they played the best were..well..the ones you lost. But just a thought.

AmishTycoon

Smash Cadet
Hello,

^Well, if I had videos of BB winning I would post those instead. You have to admit, Sonic vs Snake 3 months ago was a pretty bad match up by all means. It's a little more even now (with an emphasis on the word "little"), but given that it was Psycho ****** he was playing I think BB put up a good show.
I understand what you mean, but i still think that that may be a little depressing for Sonic/Kirby players(The kirby video is of him losing aswell), it shows that no matter how good they get with Sonic/Kirby, they still won't be able to beat snake.

Take Care,

AmishTycoon

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
Best Meta Knight (Mew2King)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UOfWAVKu7k

Also, Sethlon is considered to be the best Falco

Best Falco (Sethlon)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV_ReGh_w-g
He is a good MetaKnight but I've seen other on par or better than him. It is hard to say best MetaKnight as there are so many people good at using him . I would prefer a player who uses all of MK moves . Timmy is not the best Metaknight but he uses all of his moves quite well. Watch this:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=z6cPRW6oMEU

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
[...]that may be a little depressing for Sonic/Kirby players(The kirby video is of him losing aswell), it shows that no matter how good they get with Sonic/Kirby, they still won't be able to beat snake.
Yeah.... yeah, pretty much.

Sucks to be us huh?

xandeR-

Smash Apprentice
He is a good MetaKnight but I've seen other on par or better than him. It is hard to say best MetaKnight as there are so many people good at using him . I would prefer a player who uses all of MK moves . Timmy is not the best Metaknight but he uses all of his moves quite well. Watch this:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=z6cPRW6oMEU
M2K does not lose.

There was a tourny last weekend in FL.

Melee doubles and singles and Brawl doubles and singles.

M2K won every tournament.

He's the best MK and the best at Smash Brothers as a whole.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Add in either Sethlon or Chillin for best Falco, Sethlon was amazing, you should find videos in the board

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
He is indeed a great Bowser. But I have to say his opponent wasn't playing very well.
First of all, Gimpy's opponent in the vid you posted was horrible. Second, AZ plays pretty **** well, and played alright in those vids against Kish.

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
Wow.. you have provide good stuff!! Squid's Ganondorf, Chok's Sheik, Gimpy's sheik, Champ's Falcon.. Great players indeed.

We still need Luigi, Mario, Yoshi, Diddy, Olimar, among others.

pKNeM

Smash Cadet
True they weren't the greatest matches of the opponents play for sure..but O.S. is currently holding the place as top ROB in this thread and AlphaZealot is a smashboards moderator and a great diddy..so I assure you they are competent players and competition. O.S. actually won that tourney over Kishsquared.

In addition, no offense meant, but it seems you associate the best player as one that uses all a character's moves..however in many situations moves for certain characters are simply not good enough to use in competitive play. The best players of a character know these inherent weaknesses and control their approaches and spacing to avoid using the weaker moves in the moveset.

Lol, third edits the charm..I watched Gimpy's video again and Fear's mario video...One suggestion. If your going to post videos, post them against competent players. A **** by a good player against an inexperienced one shows nothing...a close match (as they will be) against the top players is what will show skill and teach people. Just a suggestion, not meaning to offend but...

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I don't know why people like Champ so much, especially that video mitchlol7 linked. Champ is a pretty decent Falcon, but knee spam? It doesn't work like in Melee, and it just makes it look like he doesn't know how to conserve KO moves.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
True they weren't the greatest matches of the opponents play for sure..but O.S. is currently holding the place as top ROB in this thread and AlphaZealot is a smashboards moderator and a great diddy..so I assure you they are competent players and competition. O.S. actually won that tourney over Kishsquared.

In addition, no offense meant, but it seems you associate the best player as one that uses all a character's moves..however in many situations moves for certain characters are simply not good enough to use in competitive play. The best players of a character know these inherent weaknesses and control their approaches and spacing to avoid using the weaker moves in the moveset.

Lol, third edits the charm..I watched Gimpy's video again and Fear's mario video...One suggestion. If your going to post videos, post them against competent players. A **** by a good player against an inexperienced one shows nothing...a close match (as they will be) against the top players is what will show skill and teach people. Just a suggestion, not meaning to offend but...
Oh I'm sorry I though Futile was good with Wario, my bad :ohwell:

pKNeM

Smash Cadet
Yeah Tristan what I was referring to was this thread was meant to show the potential of each character and I felt a combo video didn't show that well, and Gimpy's opponent was fairly poor in the posted match. I was refering to Gimpy's match as against an incompetent player...Fear's I felt just didn't show potential as well as an actual match would have being that it was a "combo" vid. Sorry for the confusion and yes..Futile has a ridiculous Wario >.< I had been referring to the posted vid of Gimpy as best Bowser by Morpheus, not your video of his shiek. I should be more specific

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman

Ok, I am glad you are being polite.
I think that even when his opponent is not that good, a player can prove to have good character control, combos, follow ups.. knowledge of his character.
I personally prefer and consider a better player someone who can get the best of every move so his playstyle is both deadly and diverse (not just for fun but for combat options). If I see a guy who wins just by spamming the same two moves.. hmm.. He won't be too great to my eyes, honestly. And he won't inspire me much because I that's not the type of player I want to be. I want to learn to use every single move of my character, in the best way possible. That is my way of the Smasher. =)

On the other hand, let me make this clear: I don't intend to be the ultimate judge of the best players ok? If you do not agree with who I say is the best I've seen, it is ok. You don't need to convince me so I recognize some other guy is better and change my post. As I have already stated. Every person who wants to share links will post their own favorite. What I can say to you is that he was the best I knew at that time. Even if now I see that other guy is better, it is ok. People who surf this thread will judge that. And they may agree, or not, or come with another guy in some other video. And it is ok! That is the interesting thing here! To see many great players with every character and evaluate game balance in terms of the best performances shown. Peace and Brawl brother ^^

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
"Using all the moves" or "playing flashy" does not make you a better player, just a marginally more entertaining to watch player. It's similar to that one drama thread about Japan being amazing at Brawl, which was apparently because both players attempting to play the game like it was Melee was seen as "impressive." Flash and style do not make up for substance.

That said, I can do all sorts of mean things to a bad player. I can make myself look amazing to people who don't really pay attention, because almost anything I do will land on a bad player. A video showcasing a supposedly good player wrecking a human Sandbag isn't really helpful at all, and if people are able to actually recognize bad players, it's no longer entertaining to watch either because it's more demonstrative of the opponent's lack of skill than the player's skill.

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
I understand your point. But consider that a flashy playstyle can discourage your opponents too. It is like demonstrating you are very skilled and that can take down his morale. Also, if you use most of your moves when fighting, you are less predictable and can handle more situations. On the other hand, people will tend to recognize your skills if they see you can handle many aspects of your character. If you use one or two moves to win, it looks as if you were abusing some broken or great moves your character has. It also depends on the type of player you want to be.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
A video showcasing a supposedly good player wrecking a human Sandbag isn't really helpful at all
On the other hand, a video showcasing a supposedly good player wrecking a Sandbag is EXTREMELY helpful. Funny how that works :O

Morph, playing flashy will only discourage the weak or inexperienced. Any veteran player will be able to handle overly flashy play with relative ease.

Although, just to be clear, I'm not saying any of the people posted are bad.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If you use one or two moves to win, it looks as if you were abusing some broken or great moves your character has.
If you win off of one or two moves, against a GOOD opponent, isn't that indicative of your skill to be able to use a limited moveset to its fullest potential?

BEES

Smash Lord
So... okay...

are the links going to get updated, or will we have to perpetually scroll through the soon to be infinite pages to find the better videos than the ones previously posted?

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
So... okay...

are the links going to get updated, or will we have to perpetually scroll through the soon to be infinite pages to find the better videos than the ones previously posted?
As I said before. Everyone will update their own first post, adding videos of their own favorites. It is not that I will be the ultimate judge and put on the first page the ones I prefer. That is not going to happen.

If you would like to organize many videos you like into one post it would be ok. But try not to repeat videos that are in other posts. THAT would be annoying.

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
If you win off of one or two moves, against a GOOD opponent, isn't that indicative of your skill to be able to use a limited moveset to its fullest potential?
I think the purpose of this thread is to inspire people to use new characters by watching people who play them in an entertaining way. This thread should be called "The Most Entertaining of Each Character" because that seems to be the intention.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
As I said before. Everyone will update their own first post, adding videos of their own favorites. It is not that I will be the ultimate judge and put on the first page the ones I prefer. That is not going to happen.

If you would like to organize many videos you like into one post it would be ok. But try not to repeat videos that are in other posts. THAT would be annoying.
So, in order to prevent repeats... why not post the players that are most often cited as the best for a certain character?

For instance, Sethlon is often given as the best Falco, and Tudor as a the best Samus, so why not post videos of them so that people don't have to post them and make repeat videos? You're the TC, so why not make the first post into a cohesive thing that is helpful to the community by reflecting the opinion of the community's majority?

Just a suggestion.

KingK

Smash Apprentice

Respectfully, that's ********.

If you want your post to be useful, popular, and well organized, then you ought to update the original post.

Nobody wants to search through all these pages. Your post is a good idea - consolidate video evidence of the best / most entertaining matches of each character in one place. Don't ruin it by being too lazy to update it.

I know that your point is that you don't want to be the "ultimate judge" on which videos are best, but I think all you need to do is just listen to feedback from posters on your videos. Take down ones people don't like, add particularly good videos that are linked, and look for good videos from really good players mentioned in posts.

BTW, I think it's fine to put combo videos in this thread as long as they are separated from the matches. Put an extra section at the bottom entitled "combo videos." Combo videos are fun showcases of hard-to-pull-off and impressive stuff that people have done, but they aren't very good representations of real competitive matches. I think generally posters want to see the latter, but some of the former is always entertaining.

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
Respectfully, that's ********.

If you want your post to be useful, popular, and well organized, then you ought to update the original post.

Nobody wants to search through all these pages. Your post is a good idea - consolidate video evidence of the best / most entertaining matches of each character in one place. Don't ruin it by being too lazy to update it.

I know that your point is that you don't want to be the "ultimate judge" on which videos are best, but I think all you need to do is just listen to feedback from posters on your videos. Take down ones people don't like, add particularly good videos that are linked, and look for good videos from really good players mentioned in posts.

BTW, I think it's fine to put combo videos in this thread as long as they are separated from the matches. Put an extra section at the bottom entitled "combo videos." Combo videos are fun showcases of hard-to-pull-off and impressive stuff that people have done, but they aren't very good representations of real competitive matches. I think generally posters want to see the latter, but some of the former is always entertaining.

It is not laziness. That was never my idea from the beginning. If you are really interested you can go by , clicking on the links and reading what people have been writing about those matches. I don't think it is a good idea to repeat links . If someone posted a good video of a character, and it becomes the best I've seen, I wont repeat it on my first post. I won't put another video of that character unless I find a very good one or better. I do think it would be good that there is just one post with links from any of the users of this forum. Preferably , their first post.

P.D. Calling it ******** was not respectful. I won't be taking insults from anyone.

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
So, in order to prevent repeats... why not post the players that are most often cited as the best for a certain character?

For instance, Sethlon is often given as the best Falco, and Tudor as a the best Samus, so why not post videos of them so that people don't have to post them and make repeat videos? You're the TC, so why not make the first post into a cohesive thing that is helpful to the community by reflecting the opinion of the community's majority?

Just a suggestion.
Yes. I can do that. And linking a not repeated video. But it is too soon to talk about majorities.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
It is not laziness. That was never my idea from the beginning. If you are really interested you can go by , clicking on the links and reading what people have been writing about those matches. I don't think it is a good idea to repeat links . If someone posted a good video of a character, and it becomes the best I've seen, I wont repeat it on my first post. I won't put another video of that character unless I find a very good one or better. I do think it would be good that there is just one post with links from any of the users of this forum. Preferably , their first post.

P.D. Calling it ******** was not respectful. I won't be taking insults from anyone.
Okay, so what's more annoying? Having a widely accepted best in the first post where it is easy to find and reference, or having to slog through all of the pages of the thread to find it? Personally, I'm indescribably more bothered by the latter, and think that the former makes so much more sense.

To be frank, laziness is the only explanation I can find for your unwillingness to make a well-organized reference center for people to find good videos of skillful players.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Morph, what exactly are you afraid of? What would be so terrible about adding some of the videos people have been offering up to your OP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom