• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread

Lifes

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lifes14
You should Spike snakes's recover it's really helpful in this match-up juggle him too, when you have 100% snake will just try to U-tilt you so you have to play very carefully.
Nothing to say in the ness MU this so free for G&W
I'm not so good for critiquing but I wanna help you.
Nice G&W ;)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Ness has a good fair and that is the only good thing he has and he is really good at being good at using it well. Get around it and Ness is free. Btw, you won't get around it. I swear Marths fair isn't as hard to deal with as Ness.

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
Alright so I am a recently converted Toon Link Main who is just starting to use G&W and could use some critiques. I know I am not that good, and need to do bucket cancelling and less playing around on the edge.

Any other advice would be really helpful! Thanks!

vs. Marth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKBQHndUJm8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxWaREwgZLY

PS: I know that these matches are not good quality/audio is off and quiet. It's the best I have

Sylarius

Smash Ace
Hello.
I guess I'm posting the video I'd like to be critiqued here...
I'm going to post more soon but here's some.

This was online, by the way. I'll record some offliners if I get beaten soon.

Sylarius (GnW) vs 1PokeMastr (Donkey Kong)
Sylarius (GnW) vs Ferre (ZSS)
Sylarius (GnW) vs Taste (GnW)

Online friendlies. Be ruthless in critiquing. I'm striving to get better.

~Side note: I had trouble following up on reads, I don't really know why. The grab inputs were slow or got buffered at the wrong times because of WiFi... =/ other than saying "follow up on those reads" anything is appreciated. =)

I apologize about how there isn't sound on the videos. Also, I know I suck which is why I want critique. xD.

Edit: Can someone please critique these soon? =/

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
Rizen vs. Snake -

More Up air and be more aggressive with the bacon if you're going to use it.

When he grabs the edge, dash-attack it.

Basically any time he is in the air above you you should be using Up-air. Not only does it throw off the players tempo you can also land a fair amount of damage if you connect both bits.

PixlFayc

Smash Apprentice
jellfishn- really enjoyed your videos, i liked your use of throws and neutral air, my only advice would be dont fish so much with judgement and smashes,if your someone who kills mostly with upsmash/downsmash, dont use it too often unless its a obvious punish, fsmash is a littledifferent as that can be used super defensively because of its lingering, and yeah like you said, bucketbreaking, i swear bucketing is so easy.. well maybe not to begin with but ive been doing it so long now that its natural, and people are often amazed at how much i survive generally practise, di,mash,neutral air,bucket, if u try to bucket instantly the bucket wont come out intime since you will still be stunned, doing it of quick mashing of the cstick and direction will get u out of hitstun and then use some neutral air, or maybe up air thats easier, i prefer neutral for some reason,and then get that bad boy bucket out, to be fair marth is one of my least favourite matchups but i normally abuse uair for juggles and mindgames, its also really cool to go under marf when hes trying to recover, uair him then parachute on the ledge
leaving him either floating back on stage for a free smash , or floating offstage for a die

p.s about judgement it seems to be a fickle beast, i swear if i dont use it for a while then i see someone do something punishable it will get a 9 pretty much 80%+, but if i just spam it randomly, u will be lucky to see them and yeah as you was doing, you never get the same number within 3 so if u get a 9 waste 2 mroe, then wait a while, at least 10 moves or so, use it more as a punish if they do something dumb at the 20-50% range, any higher u might aswell smash

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
jellfishn- really enjoyed your videos, i liked your use of throws and neutral air, my only advice would be dont fish so much with judgement and smashes,if your someone who kills mostly with upsmash/downsmash, dont use it too often unless its a obvious punish, fsmash is a littledifferent as that can be used super defensively because of its lingering, and yeah like you said, bucketbreaking, i swear bucketing is so easy.. well maybe not to begin with but ive been doing it so long now that its natural, and people are often amazed at how much i survive generally practise, di,mash,neutral air,bucket, if u try to bucket instantly the bucket wont come out intime since you will still be stunned, doing it of quick mashing of the cstick and direction will get u out of hitstun and then use some neutral air, or maybe up air thats easier, i prefer neutral for some reason,and then get that bad boy bucket out, to be fair marth is one of my least favourite matchups but i normally abuse uair for juggles and mindgames, its also really cool to go under marf when hes trying to recover, uair him then parachute on the ledge
leaving him either floating back on stage for a free smash , or floating offstage for a die

p.s about judgement it seems to be a fickle beast, i swear if i dont use it for a while then i see someone do something punishable it will get a 9 pretty much 80%+, but if i just spam it randomly, u will be lucky to see them and yeah as you was doing, you never get the same number within 3 so if u get a 9 waste 2 mroe, then wait a while, at least 10 moves or so, use it more as a punish if they do something dumb at the 20-50% range, any higher u might aswell smash
Thanks for the help I will work on it! Yeah it's not that bucketing is hard, it's just that when I get hit I automatically think about DI, and forget about bucketing. Just habitual I guess. I will work on it.

Also like you said I realize I do use hammer too much just to scare people away but it doesn't ever work lol

Sylarius

Smash Ace
I remember watching Vinnie hammer Ally in game 3 and got a 9 on his second one, killing him on his second stock ^^
Ally eventually won that, but it was still amusing to watch.

Also, I don't know if I'm being too persistent or anything but if anyone has time could they watch the videos I posted? x:

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Send me the texture you use for Smashville and I'll give you some feedback :D

Against DK:

You need to be more aggressive. Get in that kong's face and stay there. Lots of Nair and Bair. Using dair is iffy cause it's laggy (and im not even talking about landing with it). The goal is to not give him any breathing room. The best way to do that is learn to become very fluid with your moves, just think "fluidity."

Aerial moves are much better against DK than ground moves. If you mis-space a ground move, you can easily die to his smash attacks. In general, always approach in the air, even if you don't plan to attack (of course, mix this up if he starts reading you). Your thought process should be "let's dance in the air with nair and bair and upB;" you're also allowed to make beep-boop Bill Cosby noises as you dance.

Always keep in mind what the DK wants to do to you. If you are at high percent, he'll likely go for fsmash/dsmash (frame 10 btw) to kill you. If you are low, he'll be trying to space bair and tilts, so be careful with your spacing. Also be mindful of super armor on his neutral B.

Your best kill options are upsmash and dsmash. fsmash is ok, but awkward because he has bukit braking. You can also kill him, in a sense, by edge guarding well. You'll stack up 50% percent easy with good edge guards. Juggling him with uair is strong too.

Against ZSS:

Uh... I don't know crap about this matchup. It frustrates me. I guess watch out for frame traps on your shield?

Against G&W:

Focus on spacing above anything else. Space your bair to hit with the nose. Space your dtilt to counter his bair. Zip-zoop around his dairs. Downsmash is your best kill move; cause you can space it! Dashing in, shielding, then grabbing is randomly good.

Learn to tech his downthrow. Just go into training, have you as P2 grab yourself as P1 and dthrow. Also, dthrow > run > fair is a strong follow up. G&W roll is garbage.

Jab is good. Laggy crap is bad. @2:37 - don't do this crap. You can press down again to slow it down then upB back.

Don't try and gimp G&W, it's never worth it unless you are boss like Dphat (namesearch). Also don't forget that the windbox from uair / upB gives back your upB if you've already used it, so upB again. Also, only the first 1/3 of UpB is invincible. Space it correctly to beat out weird stuff like dair, but be careful, dair kills at 140%.

When in doubt, go for the hammer. judgment kills at 6%-23% depending on stage location and DI.

SugarPhil

Smash Cadet
Just tried playing brawl for the first time in forever and I suck balls T_T
Lool can't even short hop consistently or di anymore
Is there a way to un rustify yourself over night?
Got a tournament tomorrow..

Sylarius

Smash Ace
Send me the texture you use for Smashville and I'll give you some feedback :D
http://www.mediafire.com/?ddw5xafwtetetbv

And thank you! I love you. <33 (Not in a homo way)

I'll remember that :]

also, I can tech his dthrow offline, online it's just.. .-.

@2:37 - don't do this crap. You can press down again to slow it down then upB back.
Yeah. I don't play half as bad offline as I do online. That was completely accidental.

I know how to slow it down lol, I do it all the time. Online makes me look bad (johns)

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
Unrustify?.....Play melee.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I want to thank the G&W boards for being so attentive with critiquing:bee:. A lot of forums aren't :glare:.
Play games which use the same controller you do. When I've played my DS for a long peroid of time then try game cube controller SSBB again my directions are messed up royally.
Go into training, set the item to produce starfox's smart bombs, throw one down at your feet or jab it and practice DIing out of the explosion.
Play friendlies, even wifi's better than nothing but offline>>>>wifi.
It's wifi :urg: like all mine are :urg::urg:, and the first two falls are button lag related. The connection wasn't bad though. My problem at the end is I couldn't figure out how to finish him then got stupidly spammy. Dsmash spam is a bad habit carrying over from other characters I use. Can someone tell me why at 3:09 that didn't sweetspot the edge?

sambo400

Smash Apprentice
Why is it I never feel less intelligent than when I get killed with Ness's Fsmash?

Tournament on Monday, perhaps I can finally upload some replays. How do I do it, supposing I have them on my wii? I have a youtube channel.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
I personally use my laptop camera because I don't have access to a camera card. =/
It doesn't look that bad, but there's no sound.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Tournament on Monday, perhaps I can finally upload some replays. How do I do it, supposing I have them on my wii? I have a youtube channel.
I use this but it's dated by now and might not work on Windows 7.

Video recorded using this device and Ulead VideoStudio(Included Software) settings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqi-W9NWlj0&fmt=18

Important Note: This will work on Vista but only Vista 32bit, not Vista 64bit, also don;t count on it working on any future 64bit OSs, as alot of drivers do not work with 64bit OSs.

I just finished my test of this capture device, and after a bumpy start, it is working quite well.

It Connects to your computer without the need of a video card, and works just like a capture from a digital camera would.

You can find it online for a number of prices, anywhere from $10 to $30.

Just Install the CD and you are ready to go(almost). Even works with Vista.
It comes with Ulead VideoStudio SE 10.0
It generally wont say 10 unless you are looking at the install folder, but if you received a different version it would be interesting to know.

Theres one thing I should mention. You have to go in and manually set the property settings to capture correctly with the included software, like so. (But feel free to use whatever capturing software you like with it.)

Obviously you should set it to PAL if you need to.

Also, I find the best quality is by recording it in DVD format, and then when creating the video, exporting it in "Same as first video clip" so very little file conversion.

For best quality in DVD format(mpeg2), Go to Options->MPEG settings and set it up like this, which is just the DVD NTSC (720x480) and records at about 50mb a minute; fine for a 4-7 minute match video.

And then when exporting it, because some people are not too sure what I mean.

Once you export it, just upload and you are good to go.

- - - - - - - - - -

In order to show the game on the computer and your tv at the same time you will need atleast 1 RCA Y-splitter.
Make sure it has 1 female and 2 male ports.
They cost about $4 each at radio shack, but you may find them for cheaper at wal-mart. Or more expensive at Best Buy. ($7)

These may be labeled as TV audio cables or phono Y-splitters
. Just make sure they aren’t stereo audio cables.
You can just get one and send the audio to the computer and the video to both. Or get 3 and have the audio and video going to both the tv and computer(recommended).

If you want to extend your connection get a usb cord, DO NOT buy RCA components cords and couplers, because that is hella expensive. Infact the EasyCAP USB comes with a small usb cord. I have a couple more laying around my house from other things I own.

(Updates coming.)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I'm gonna get videos soon. Prepare to be amazed (or not), but just watch them and tell me how I can become amazing like Alphicans :D

Rizen

Smash Legend
Yeah I know right? I was on the edge of the stage and he had 14%, and my hammer was fresh =/

Snake is so heavy lol
OMG, he didn't even DI well:facepalm:.
Good stuff =) , you gave me several good ideas to broaden my G&W's options and not be ultra predictable:bee:.

I hate Snake on SV, that stupid platform C4 trick is a pain. SV's one of my least favorite stages but for some reason many people want to not strike and start there or, in friendlies, choose it over and over.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
SV's one of my least favorite stages but for some reason many people want to not strike and start there or, in friendlies, choose it over and over.
So I'm not the only one! Sooooo glad.
You're awesome Rizen.:awesome:

@Smiley: You're legit. One thing I would tell you to is to work on your fair. A lot of times you don't retreat it so you get punished OoS.
And uthrow snake instead of dthrow.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
The Snake's DI was spot on, he just didn't momentum cancel.

Snake is full of homosex. He makes things like dtilt and nair, moves that generally are super safe, incredibly scary to use.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Dtilt doesn't feel too safe for me. Whenever I hit a shield with it, I get punished every single time.

Rizen

Smash Legend
The Snake's DI was spot on, he just didn't momentum cancel.

Snake is full of homosex. He makes things like dtilt and nair, moves that generally are super safe, incredibly scary to use.
I meant DI as the whole cornucopia of recovering. Snake is scary, his Utilt/Ftilt are absurdly long reaching and fast for that type of moves.:scared:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
But we can at least Fair them OoS. I've improved soooo much in the Snake MU in the last month, I no longer consider any Snake a real threat here though they are still good.

sambo400

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I know right? I was on the edge of the stage and he had 14%, and my hammer was fresh =/

Snake is so heavy lol
I love your playstyle. Very fluid, something I wish I had. We both Uair a lot, whenever its free, why not?

That Snake looked baffled at first but calmed down and played like snake should and you made some mistakes that caused deaths, which I'm sure you know. I was pissed when that 9 failed.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I love your playstyle. Very fluid, something I wish I had. We both Uair a lot, whenever its free, why not?

That Snake looked baffled at first but calmed down and played like snake should and you made some mistakes that caused deaths, which I'm sure you know. I was pissed when that 9 failed.
Thanks, I have on days and off days, though.

I try to play super aggressive against snake (Sorta Metaknightish) Because the problem in the matchup stems from when he has time to place c4 everywhere and limit your options and space his tilts correctly... But for this snake he's very aggressive (I love him though, his playstyle is really legit and fun to watch, when I DO let him set up he's really good and setting up the stage, he's like psychic). He's not afraid to go offstage and use aerials and stuff and he autocancels them a lot.

And yeah about the Uthrow thing, I know i'm supposed to, the only reason I don't is half stubborness and half muscle memory. I rarely mix up my throws when I use Gdubs because i ALWAYS forget not to dthrow.

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
LzR and Smiley, I love both of your G W's. Really nice use of Bacon coming from LzR and gotta represent that neon blue. :D

Nice up air's, everything looks great.

Only one tip I would say. There were a couple times, especially against these heavier characters that are hard to KO, that if you hit them off into the upper corner of the screen its possible to get an easy KO if you chase them up into that corner and immediately Up-B them. I've gotten many a KO this way at higher percents. Perhaps I'll make a video of it someday. :p

sambo400

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlnvtDx-f6o

There you go people. My set vs Jebu. It's pretty long, but I hope it's worth watching.
Critique please? :)
I like your GnW as well. I see these videos and think that's the next level I'm trying to get to.

I thought a lot of the Fairs in the DK game could have been free Nairs or upBs when he was airborn, but I also see you were trying to get him off the stage or KO. The Wario matchup is just kinda slow and I don't have much insight.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yes, the Wario MU is slow as hell, but I love it. That set was so intense irl. I was sooo hyped every single second.
And it's **** blue, not neon blue >: (
I wonder if I can get my other sets recorded, but I think I forgot to save them or they weren't recorded. But I think that was the best set. So even and both played their best.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Ideally you want to upB more vs wario, but when vsing a higher level player it's pretty damn risky, so I can respect you for turning it down. You also didn't use much dtilt :/. That move is so underused, and should be used especially vs characters like DK who have the ability to zone our aerials fairly well.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Ideally you want to upB more vs wario, but when vsing a higher level player it's pretty damn risky, so I can respect you for turning it down. You also didn't use much dtilt :/. That move is so underused, and should be used especially vs characters like DK who have the ability to zone our aerials fairly well.
Yeah I change my amount of Up-B use depending on who i'm facing (Character and player). Depends on how much I can get away with it. I also believe this is the MAIN reason Marth is so hard. We lose our get outta jail free card in up-b because it just puts us above marth which is a terrible position for us. I realized this playing Nike.

Yeah LzR I'll watch the full set tomorrow after work if i'm not tired as balls

I have to wash an aircraft, our planes are big it's an all day affair =(

Top Bottom