• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Volleying: A New Type of Game (Updated with Video Examples: Special Guest Darrell)

Ballistics

Smash Champion
its not your fault if they don't try to save themselves, the event of someone dying down isn't a gamebreaker its just frowned upon, you should do everything in your power to kill them to the side that doesn't kill you in the process, but if it turns out you can't its not a big deal.

The point is still to win, just like in a real game you would not sd every stock.

Brick_Top

Smash Apprentice
a lot of people play friendlies at tourney's to practice/get better/warm up, and taking away spikes and gimps will develop bad habits with recovering. If you know you aren't going to get spiked, then you are going to recover low every time right? Idk, I just think it'll throw off your game more than it will help it

null55

Smash Master
lol this is so ********. i shouldn't even need to explain why.

you may need to pick a new game.

sonofashrub

Smash Apprentice
this also gives certain characters huge advantages during a "volleying match." It would effectively remove shine spiking from the game, yet things like captain falcon's crazy combos would all still work.

null55

Smash Master
no, but see, you don't finish with a knee because then the other guy will be like "DUDE, WTF... WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU. THIS ISN'T SMASH. STOP ******."

Ballistics

Smash Champion
I don't really care what you think about it CJ,

I do care if you try it and you still don't like it, get back to me

no, but see, you don't finish with a knee because then the other guy will be like "DUDE, WTF... WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU. THIS ISN'T SMASH. STOP ******."
I don't think you read the whole thing, the only rule is that you can't die down, knees are fine.

this also gives certain characters huge advantages during a "volleying match." It would effectively remove shine spiking from the game, yet things like captain falcon's crazy combos would all still work.
Fox can combo captain falcon just as well as falcon combo's fox (more or less), but the point is a good fox doesn't need shine spikes to win (think about fox vs jiggz)

null55

Smash Master
i was exaggerating.

and i'm afraid i'll never try this cause i love friendlies. especially when i get ****ed up. cause then i'm even more motivated to **** them up.

cause it's smash, play the game. basically you're inventing a new game for sensitive people. seriously, try B:DP and tell me what you think.

th0rn

Smash Lord
Ballistics is the best troll evar... you see those anti-trolls of answering obv jokes!?!?! genius!!!

good work man!

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Yeah Ballistics, they're right.

Winning and dominating in friendlies is the most important thing.

How other people feel is honestly not an issue because looking good in front of your friends during Smash definitely holds priority over everything. You certainly have a reputation as the master of friendlies to maintain and calming down to actually have... *gasp!* fun, is simply absurd.

Banks

Smash Hero
I find playing the game in the fashion it is played in tournaments to be the most fun, gimps included.

i have no trouble trying hard enough to beat people i can beat, if i am not winning it is probably because the person i'm playing possesses a similar level of skill. You don't have to be balls to the wall hand-sweat'n-trying to win at friendlies to have fun AND win, you just have to play well.

unless you are getting three/four stocked every game, no one will auto-think they are better than you after friendlies, and that seems to be the reason you created this game.

If you actually have fun doing it and ppl want to play it with you, then the sarcasm shouldn't faze you. I think it is less ppl being douches and more expressing majority opinion in a highly sarcastic way.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
lol i don't why i am coming off as a noob getting 3 and 4 stocked by people but I'm actually pretty good and usually beat most of the people I play in friendlies, its just that after you play someone for so long your desire to play efficiently and wait them out dies down. Thats the standpoint I hope people are looking at this from.

I don't how you guys can keep up playing 100% capacity ALL THE TIME. After I play someone for 3 hours I get demotivated and just want to play for fun, this game allows you to do that in the rules so thats why the game is important to me.

Lol banks thanks man you are really polite, I am under the opinion if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. I am open to criticism of the game but just saying its stupid and you'll never try it is just mean. =(

null55

Smash Master
i play convincingly worse in friendlies... just cause i'm not nearly as patient as i would be if **** is on the line...

it's natural, i indulge and all that American whoo-plah.

but just cause i get gimped a little more or potentially lose more games due to ******** greediness doesn't mean i want to "ban gimping" to make the other guy more even with my hilarious endeavors.

chillll bro. *passes dutch*

*shoots himself*

kupo15

Smash Hero
I'm sorry but its fun to try to kill people down and have them practice their meteor canceling or teching by just doing meteors over and over again when you could be doing a more potent form of edge guarding.

Its also fun to have crazy off stage battles that involve the downward killzone and such. I see where your problem is but you are approaching it the wrong. I approve of AXEs posts. I can identify with what he has to say about being ultra serious in friendlies such as CGing to death. Not cool for friendlies and when you want to have a good time.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
i play convincingly worse in friendlies... just cause i'm not nearly as patient as i would be if **** is on the line...

it's natural, i indulge and all that American whoo-plah.

but just cause i get gimped a little more or potentially lose more games due to ******** greediness doesn't mean i want to "ban gimping" to make the other guy more even with my hilarious endeavors.

chillll bro. *passes dutch*

*shoots himself*
I see where your coming from CJ

*passes back*

SlitThroat1010

Smash Journeyman
This looks like it could be fun, but I know I'll have a lot of trouble reprogramming myself at the ledge as I might accidentally gimp or something out of habit. This might not be for me.

Sion

Island of Horizon
well, i meant that i like to ledgehog and dair spike (basically gimp).
the game mechanics aren't bad, they just don't replace normal friendlies to me. most of my kills and gameplay rely heavily on these things.

not a bad idea by any means though.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
^ You act like you did it on purpose and act all boss about it ^-^

Anyways, I tried tweaking it a bit and it works out pretty cool.

When I played my friend, he could gimp, edgehog, etc. me, but the catch was that I had to play according to volley rules.

This let him play on a handicap and forced me to try extra extra hard to keep up. Which is good I think.

Toobz

Smash Journeyman
Those matches were really fun. I liked playing as Falco, Fox and Ganondorf the best. Peach was really tough, wasn't sure how to save effectively. Falco is top tier for his saving abilities. Ganon is good though because he kills so easily. Falcon of course is fun, but not as much as the others imo. Playing as Fox basically means you wait until 150% + and land a bair, or kill with usmash. Otherwise its really tough to KO with him. He also has really poor saving abilities. The firefox is too tough to use due to its start up time.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
What exactly happens if you accidentally gimp someone and they die from falling, not the sides or top?
You lose my respect as a good volley player, but if you watch our matches it happens often, so we have a way to go.

well, i meant that i like to ledgehog and dair spike (basically gimp).
the game mechanics aren't bad, they just don't replace normal friendlies to me. most of my kills and gameplay rely heavily on these things.

not a bad idea by any means though.
instead of ledgehog dair, do ledgehog bair or nair a couple times till they die to the side

^ You act like you did it on purpose and act all boss about it ^-^

Anyways, I tried tweaking it a bit and it works out pretty cool.

When I played my friend, he could gimp, edgehog, etc. me, but the catch was that I had to play according to volley rules.

This let him play on a handicap and forced me to try extra extra hard to keep up. Which is good I think.
TresChikon, I want some vids of you playing this get on that

Those matches were really fun. I liked playing as Falco, Fox and Ganondorf the best. Peach was really tough, wasn't sure how to save effectively. Falco is top tier for his saving abilities. Ganon is good though because he kills so easily. Falcon of course is fun, but not as much as the others imo. Playing as Fox basically means you wait until 150% + and land a bair, or kill with usmash. Otherwise its really tough to KO with him. He also has really poor saving abilities. The firefox is too tough to use due to its start up time.
Yo mike no johns the matches i posted you won most of them, next time im gonna destroy you and stop sding lol.

tubes

Smash Ace
Dictionary dot com definition of friendly:
1. characteristic of or befitting a friend; showing friendship: a friendly greeting.
2. like a friend; kind; helpful: a little friendly advice.
3. favorably disposed; inclined to approve, help, or support: a friendly bank.
4. not hostile or at variance; amicable: a friendly warship; friendly natives.

So lately I've been frustrated with smash because I haven't been able to switch my mind back and forth from friendlies mode to tournament mode. But then recently I had an epiphany, and this might be a big generalization, but, I realized that all it really takes to win at super smash brothers is patience. When tech skill and combos are already developed, the game comes down to baiting and waiting.

But when I am playing friendlies, all I really wanna do is crazy combos and have fun, and playing patiently isn't fun all the time.

AND WHAT REALLY MAKES ME MAD, is that when you are trying to relax and play friendlies, sometimes the person you are playing with is really thinking they are playing a tournament match against you, and when you sandbag they beat you and think they are better than you. (SETH! ELI! cough cough.) Well educated smashers know that friendlies and seriouslies are two separate types of smash so to highlight this I came up with something.

So here is my solution to my quandary.

SOLUTION:
Money match
Fixed for practicality.

joeplicate

Smash Master
or you could just do a "serious" set with your friend

idk i still think this is a silly idea
you gotta learn how to accept losing/playing gay/getting serious eventually

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Peach was really tough, wasn't sure how to save effectively. Falco is top tier for his saving abilities.
Dair

If you ever watch a team's match where Peach is playing, her ally never dies off the bottom.

EDIT: Props to Derek for this hilarious idea; it's pretty fun

Top Bottom