• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Mains Interview Thread! Interview: TooBusyToCare!

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
DMG

Q. Dmg, whats your worst matchup and favorite stage?

A. Worst matchup: Dojo/MK who actually knows the matchup lol. Now Dphat knows to just stay MK and not even bother trying to play as Wario against him.

Favorite Stage: IDK since people won't let me pick Brinstar against them, probably Rainbow Cruise. I tend not to lose there, even if I switch from Wario to another character.

Q. DMG you were often criticized for your camping was did that ever effect your play style?

A. AL: I dunno, I naturally tend to err on the "safe" side when it comes to stuff in Brawl. I accept that that is the true pace/meaning of the game, and that it is the best strategy for an overwhelming number of characters including Wario. I used to play aggressive, back when people sucked or back when people didn't understand how to play against Wario, and as time passed I had to become more defensive and react to them.

I've gotten flak for camping. Not because of how gay it is, or how long it makes matches last, but cause people seem to think it doesn't work, or that the alternative of being aggressive is better when in reality it's usually a terrible choice to be really aggressive with Wario. For quite a long time, I decided not to really play that campy, cause everyone just said "DMG just approach" and I would still win, but then someone would actually learn "Hey, this isn't smart, I have way too many answers to this" and I would have to go back to a more defensive natured style. I don't actively try to time out people except when I think it's legitimately the best thing to aim for. Recently I did it to a Pit on Lylat with a pretty big lead, because he was trading or beating me out when I approached normally and he would play with the edge a lot so naturally I had to back off anyways. Same for a MK player who surprised me and actually figured out the correct Walls against Wario as MK (with a little help from Dojo/Domo I think lol), but he figured it out just a tad too late after I had a stock lead and while he decided to wall I decided to not approach.

Q. Are those Wario's sideburns or his actual hair coming out under his hat?

A. Sideburns bro

Q. So DMG, how do you feel about DPhat?

A. Zigsta: Dphat... eh he's a pretty cool guy, doesn't afraid of men.

Q. What's your favorite kind of gum?

A. Gum: I actually haven't had any in awhile since you aren't technically supposed to chew gum with Braces. But that day... it was the kind of gum that had most flavor absorbed from it already. Like chewy nothingness.

Made me fuggen sick bro. Dphat went too FAR... NOTHING HAPPENED FLARBLE GARBLE GARBLE AKLDJSAKLDJAKJDAKLDPASDAS

Q. how do you feel about ultimate razor DMG?

A. He's a little punk *** ***** *** Motha Fu***** Kid that Won't Money Match my MK with his Snake cause he scared.

Lol Razer's cool. I like hanging out with him, and **** talking him as the day progresses.

Q. DMG why wario?

A. Cause I have always played Wario in games. Always.

Q. DMG where did you hide the diamonds?

A. Unless you do a full body cavity search, you will never find them...

I HID THEM IN A INCONSPICUOUS CRATE IN RURAL CHINA, EACH DIAMOND DIPPED AND SET IN 24 KARAT GOLD!

Q. DMG, if people sort of know you as "Doctor Runaway Guy". How do you get people to play you in friendlies? I sort of decided I don't like this game anymore, but if I can use that to help me camp people (because I don't care) how do I practice?

It seems like it would be hard to get good at a tactic that frustrated and infuriates people simply because you would run out of opponents.

A. Humpy: People WANT to play me in friendlies, and WANT me to try and time them out. I dunno, it's a weird phenomenon lol. I mean, I have some people who hate playing me in tournament, or hate playing against Wario in general, but for the most part people approach me and actually want me to do those things lol.

If you want to get good at it, focus on being defensive or safe, and just bait a lot. Like, run backwards, run up, shield, do a safe punish. If it misses, back off and repeat. Like instead of focusing on running away, focus on staying back just a bit and attempting a single attack every 10 seconds.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I know what this means!

*Time to act good and actually seem like a respected member of the community, despite my huge urge to potentially troll as I answer questions*

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Worst matchup: Dojo/MK who actually knows the matchup lol. Now Dphat knows to just stay MK and not even bother trying to play as Wario against him.

Favorite Stage: IDK since people won't let me pick Brinstar against them, probably Rainbow Cruise. I tend not to lose there, even if I switch from Wario to another character.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
PX no lmfao NOTHING HAPPENED, FLARBLE GARBLE GARBLE ADSJKADJADJOAIDJIAO NO NO NO!

AL: I dunno, I naturally tend to err on the "safe" side when it comes to stuff in Brawl. I accept that that is the true pace/meaning of the game, and that it is the best strategy for an overwhelming number of characters including Wario. I used to play aggressive, back when people sucked or back when people didn't understand how to play against Wario, and as time passed I had to become more defensive and react to them.

I've gotten flak for camping. Not because of how gay it is, or how long it makes matches last, but cause people seem to think it doesn't work, or that the alternative of being aggressive is better when in reality it's usually a terrible choice to be really aggressive with Wario. For quite a long time, I decided not to really play that campy, cause everyone just said "DMG just approach" and I would still win, but then someone would actually learn "Hey, this isn't smart, I have way too many answers to this" and I would have to go back to a more defensive natured style. I don't actively try to time out people except when I think it's legitimately the best thing to aim for. Recently I did it to a Pit on Lylat with a pretty big lead, because he was trading or beating me out when I approached normally and he would play with the edge a lot so naturally I had to back off anyways. Same for a MK player who surprised me and actually figured out the correct Walls against Wario as MK (with a little help from Dojo/Domo I think lol), but he figured it out just a tad too late after I had a stock lead and while he decided to wall I decided to not approach.

I'll put it this way: I think defensive Wario is the character's only realistic shot at viability, assuming the player ACTUALLY ACTUALLY knows the Wario matchup with their character. There are only a VERY VERY select few matchups where I would suggest playing aggressive for the majority of the matchup, and those would be ones like Olimar or Ice Climbers or other different matchups the character easily wins by just approaching (DK, lower tiered characters like Ness and Lucas, etc). Everything else, the character is better at either baiting and punishing, running away, or something along those lines.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
I know how you feel, DMG.

I get **** for camping in MW2 all the time.

My teammates always rush out for no reason and die, and then I get called garbage when I get surrounded by six people in Search & Destroy.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
@ Shaslam and Snack attack if you could ban one person from the Wario boards who would it be.
ShaSlam

Who's your Wario hero?

Out of the current top 5 on our PR, who do you enjoy playing against the most?

At your current progress, when do you feel that you could win a tournament?
i would ban PX for the lulz :D
my wario hero is now omniswell. it use to be DMG but he has always just ignored my love.
i like playing will the most of the top players on the PR.
i can win a tournament whenever i feel like it.
i think im probably gonna win on march 6th.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Dude ShaSlam, I love you bro. In a non gay way that PX or Bassem will probably come in here and soon question lol.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
So DMG, how do you feel about DPhat?

What's your favorite kind of gum?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Zigsta: Dphat... eh he's a pretty cool guy, doesn't afraid of men.

Gum: I actually haven't had any in awhile since you aren't technically supposed to chew gum with Braces. But that day... it was the kind of gum that had most flavor absorbed from it already. Like chewy nothingness.

Made me fuggen sick bro. Dphat went too FAR... NOTHING HAPPENED FLARBLE GARBLE GARBLE AKLDJSAKLDJAKJDAKLDPASDAS

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
He's a little punk *** ***** *** Motha Fu***** Kid that Won't Money Match my MK with his Snake cause he scared.

Lol Razer's cool. I like hanging out with him, and **** talking him as the day progresses.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Cause I have always played Wario in games. Always.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
youre so good about responding to these questions.
i was always late as **** lol

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
DMG, if people sort of know you as "Doctor Runaway Guy". How do you get people to play you in friendlies? I sort of decided I don't like this game anymore, but if I can use that to help me camp people (because I don't care) how do I practice?

It seems like it would be hard to get good at a tactic that frustrated and infuriates people simply because you would run out of opponents.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Unless you do a full body cavity search, you will never find them...

I HID THEM IN A INCONSPICUOUS CRATE IN RURAL CHINA, EACH DIAMOND DIPPED AND SET IN 24 KARAT GOLD!

Humpy: People WANT to play me in friendlies, and WANT me to try and time them out. I dunno, it's a weird phenomenon lol. I mean, I have some people who hate playing me in tournament, or hate playing against Wario in general, but for the most part people approach me and actually want me to do those things lol.

If you want to get good at it, focus on being defensive or safe, and just bait a lot. Like, run backwards, run up, shield, do a safe punish. If it misses, back off and repeat. Like instead of focusing on running away, focus on staying back just a bit and attempting a single attack every 10 seconds.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
DMG, will you DMG me?

On a serious note, which of your videos would you say are best for learning how to play Wario correctly? (I'm thinking about picking him up)

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
DMG is not the best person to watch as far as the entirety of Wario is concerned. You need to watch him to pick up on good defensive play and then supplement it with vids of a more aggro Wario who is better at approaching/mixing up than he is.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Naw you guys approach with stuff that isn't supposed to work. Hence why I tend not to approach like you guys.

Falling ontop of someone's shield with Uair... sure I can do that. But why? I mean, I'm vulnerable for quite a long time while I try to fall onto them lol. Stuff like that just too unsafe overall

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'll give you this: You guys have some fairly creative Nair uses, and that is a move I have started to abuse more because IIRC it comes out insanely fast, like 2 frames lol. And cause it true combos or almost true combos at a wide range of %'s. But a lot of stuff that I see you and Bassem do... IDK man. I see you guys trying that in the Ditto, you can't fool me. You gotta Fair son.

BTW Fair for Wario is ********. True combo into grab or Dtilt at certain %'s is super nice. I like doing it for a free 20ish damage.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
It's also terribly unsafe if it hits shields and doesn't have much stun at all. Upair on the back of shields is incredibly safe if you're at all capable of buffering moves out of its. Most of what I do is safe, otherwise I wouldn't do it (forcing my way in excluded). If you'd experimented with these things more, you'd know. The move's hitbox is also retardedly large, AND it can be sh ffed which means almost no air time, not any of taht "falling for a long time"

I can upair ICs shields with 0 risk of getting grabbed, for example, as long as I buffer into a run out of it.

Dittos are entirely different fights from fights against everyone else. Please DO NOT pretend like you know how to poke and punish better/safer than I do with Wario.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Wario is airborne for a long time though. Uair is 8 frames. A lot of scary characters can grab on, or before that frame. Framewise Wario is at a huge disadvantage attempting stuff like that. You have to factor in the time it takes Wario to be able to be positioned correctly, for him to first be able to fast fall, for him to be able to beat out attacks, etc. It's why I don't like falling with bite onto people, cause technically they have a LOT of time to react to it unless I am basically almost standing next to them and do it.

Nair is safe on shields, depending on who you are using it on. You can do it to Snake for Lulz if done correctly. Marth, MK, and Dedede make it look foolish, but you don't generally attempt to Nair them in the first place (besides Dedede maybe offstage or while he is already airborne)

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Nair isn't safe on shield AT ALL, WTF. Unless it's like, a retreating nair (stronghit). Dair also isn't very safe on shield. Upair is our safest move on shield, lol. The hitbox is retardedly big. Also, your maneuverability excuse/counter argument applies to ALL OF WARIOS MOVES b/c we have no range. Keep in mind Upair is one of our rangiest moves and you're actually ARGUING AGAINST YOURSELF. Lastly, nair comes out in 5 frames, not 2. It's only marginally safe from grabs b/c Wario's hurtbox shrinks incredibly as he's hitting the ground.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Actually no, Wario's Nair is his fastest Aerial (at 2-3 frames IIRC). Fair is faster than Dair, Uair, and Bair, and the first hit of Nair is faster than that surprisingly.

Nair, the way it works, it is good on shields if done correctly. The second hit catches people quite a bit since shield drop is 7 frames and most people if they are hit by the strong hit aren't fast enough to drop it fast.

Dair on Shields is Safe if autocancelled correctly and you buffer a shield/spotdodge for their attack.

Uair is ranged better Upwards, you are talking about falling onto people, and then using it. Dair you fall with it out. Same with Nair. Uair you have to spend time getting into their body, and then use it. It doesn't linger that long either which kinda sucks. Falling ONTO someone with Uair almost ALWAYS takes quite a bit more frames to accomplish than trying to Dair or Nair someone, which means that it is riskier from a frame perspective.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I'll admit I was wrong, but I was closer than you.

"First hit on frame 4" <-- nair

Don't lecture me on nair use, I pretty much invented that ****. It's one of our least safe moves on shield. They tilt their shield up (same as against dair) and autocancel or not, if they buffer anything out of shield lag, we're vulnerable (unless we DJed the dair away). Having to play rock paper scissors after dairing is NOT safe.

I will give you that you can dair without falling (against medium > tall characters), but you aren't going to be hitting anyone with nair without falling onto them, as that move has less vertical hitbox than upair does. Upair is also large enough to hit people straight out of a sh (rising upairs, I mean) if they are large characters.

We can do this all day, but I'm not going to lose a Wario knowledge discussion :p

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Hitbox thread, he states that he had trouble capturing the "First Nair Hitbox" that occurs on frame 2.

"NAir has 3 hitboxes. 1 at the first 2 frames, one at the third and 4th and the other one. I couldn't snap the first one."

Quoted son. Nair is fast lol. Visually it seems faster than 4 frames. May just be me, I dunno. I'll ask Hotgarbage to reconfirm the data.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
**** DMG you just got jacked how do you feel ?
Hitbox thread, he states that he had trouble capturing the "First Nair Hitbox" that occurs on frame 2.

"NAir has 3 hitboxes. 1 at the first 2 frames, one at the third and 4th and the other one. I couldn't snap the first one."

Quoted son. Nair is fast lol. Visually it seems faster than 4 frames. May just be me, I dunno. I'll ask Hotgarbage to reconfirm the data.
Dont avoid the question!

Top Bottom