• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario MU discussion: Diddy Kong

Lord Chair

Smash Master
With this write-up, I assume you are all aware of the knowledge one is already ought to have about this MU. I won’t tell you how to instant-throw, how to Z-catch, how to ban FD or that Diddy’s utilt can, in fact, kill.

Nana on shield vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX9qzcaKL-g

Avast.

First things first, Diddy cannot commit to doing nothing, and he doesn’t have spammable safe options. The matchup will largely be about whether or not Wario is able to keep up pressure without feeling obliged to keep being agro. Controversial? No. Pressuring Diddy means withholding him from getting nanas, and that’s about as easily done as it is said (ya, really).

What is pressure:

- Being close to him.

Yeah, simple as that. It’s not like as if him predicting you’ll retreat safely means he can pull a nana. If he doesn’t have a nana, he can’t defend himself without either giving up space or committing to something punishable. His (character specific) defensive options are pretty much retreating bair/fair, pivot grab and utilt. If he reads an aerial approach, he’ll be able to beat it. Of course, you’re Wario. So you fake a lot of **** until he does something punishable, of which you'll take your obvious advantage. That advantage isn't necessarily something big, don't expect to uair a grounded Diddy a lot, but it's an advantage you can build further advantages from.

Aerial Diddy = yay Diddy.
Diddy on the ledge = yay Diddy.
Diddy on the ground = meh Diddy.
Diddy with nanas on the ground = fu.

Oh, that was basic knowledge, my bad. Diddy's aerial mobility is kinda bad and his options limited. It's easy to bait all sorts of stuff, but you can expect a good Diddy to not airdodge close to the ground: we can't punish a spaced fair on our shield.

When grabbing Diddy, don't dthrow. Just don't. Uthrow is situational, fthrow does the same thing but usually better: either he DIs it upwards and can be edgeguarded/juggled, or he DIs it downwards (at lower%) and grab the ledge. Ledgeguarding Diddy is yummy. Bthrow if it means you'll get to ledgguard, rather than fthrowing him across the stage and dashing after him.

About ledgeguarding:
Shielding near the ledge is safe and will net you a punish if he tries to be reckless. However, a good Diddy will know not to try anything in a situation like that. If you stand too close to the ledge shielding, he can ledgehop fair your shield and retreat to the ledge safely. He can technically Monkey Flip grab your shield as well, this is something really basic which you sometimes see working against people with MU inexperience. If you see him leaving the ledge, you should be wanting to punish whatever he does with an aerial (unless you specifically predict a ledgeroll/attack/getup, in those cases you can go for a smash). Your counters are fairly straightforward, you can beat the Flip Kick with a shieldgrab or FH dair and you can beat a ledgejump by simply taking advantage of the situation (you should know how to). The key to this whole ordeal is to STAY PATIENT. He can technically camp you by just spamming ledgedrop upB, don't even bother trying to punish it. Keep your spacing (which should be just outside his ledge attack/fair range) and wait for him to do something.

When to fart:
Diddy is rather fartable, or so to speak. His recovery is one situation of which you can make splendid use (more on that later), so are juggles, airdodged aerials (all of them except for bair have very noticeable lag), Flip Kicks and landings (though you might as well consider those a part of the juggling process). All of these situations tend to be inevitable, and should be consider reliable killing situations.

About edgeguarding:

You get Diddy offstage in a lot of ways: the ways you get people offstage in general (no ****ing **** *** Sherlock). In pretty much all of these situations, you should be able to exploit his recovery in some way, unless you knocked him away across the stage. A predicted Flip Kick means you can ledge drop bair or fair him. If he drops low, fair is usually guaranteed (just get your *** back ASAP, even if that means you have to be content with doing 5% damage and committing to a ledgeguard situation). If he goes high, it's practically a juggle trap only with him having even less space and options than usual. Important note: you can beat his barrel startup with nair, but once he releases it, it beats you out. Don't try and nair gimp his barrels unless you are absolutely sure you'll take him out with it, it sucks dying because you didn't manage to assess the situation correctly. In general, edgeguarding Diddy is definitely possible, but I personally feel like ledgeguarding is just that much more profitable. If Diddy still has his jump, be aware of him having the option of simply DJ fairing whatever you may want to do to him. It'll technically beat all your silly attempts of edgeguarding. If he's close to the ledge and still has his jump left, just commit to the ledgeguard.

About nanas:
When they do happen to come into play, don't be afraid of them unless there's 2 and he's in control of both of them. Wario is an awesome character to work around nanas with. His item game in and by itself isn't awesome, his glidetoss and followups are good, but he's awful at trip-techchasing and his throwing speed is sluggish. His main asset is being able to catch and control the nanas. When Diddy has nanas, there's nothing wrong with simply SH fairing. You don't necessarily have to hit him or his shield, spacing SH fairs from a distance is perfectly safe. If he figures he can safely throw his nana towards you he'll be wrong, you can catch it by landing an airdodge or nair, or by DJing another fair. If all else fails, you can just DJ away. Stay patient, don't try to uair an 'armed' Diddy, and try to limit dairing. You can nair to a certain extent, but I recommend being stubborn and annoyingly safe by just sticking to fair. If Diddy has a nana in hand and another one lying close to him, and you're in the air without a jump, don't panic. You have options. Or well, if Diddy times the nana right, by making it his you just at the time you'd be landing, you can't really catch it anymore. If you expect him to do just that, just bike. When Wario is biking/pulling out his bike, Diddy can't hit him with nana's while remaining grounded. They'll deflect off the bike and you can safely mind your business. In fact, if you specifically predict a nana toss, you'll punish him in his cooldown lag, he'll lose his control of both nanas and he's off flying to places he doesn't really want to be flying to. It's actually, at any rate, a very low risk, very high reward situation.

About killing:

Don't depend on fsmash, you'll get chances to use it, but you shouldn't take them for granted per se. Same deal about uair, and same deal about fart. Consider Diddy the same deal as all other characters: you can't throw out safe killing **** until he falls into it. Sometimes, if Diddy plays it really well, you just won't get the chance to kill early. In those cases, feel free to rack him till percentages in which you can force edgeguards or him being above you. If all else fails, follow the advice I'd give in every lightweight MU: wait until 170% and kill with dair or nair.

Diddy's killing options are rather limited, close to being lulzy. It's hard for him to keep fair fresh, and if you play it safe, he shouldn't see killing with smashes as a realistic thing to do. This isn't necessarily because it's so hard to hit with them, but also because he might as well rack another 20% and get you into utilt/fair killing percentages (you should be able to survive fsmash and dsmash at 150%). He gradually gets more killing options, and you should know when to keep track of another one. Once you're at 170-180%, he'll probably commit to utilt which is, tragically, extremely safe.

About Bite:
It's usable in this MU, it's very realistic to pressure Diddy into shielding, and it eats quite a few of Diddy's moves. Moves it won't beat:

- Fair

- Dsmash

Those are the only ones you should care about. Of course it also eats his nanas, but you shouldn't really aim for that unless you see a great opportunity to use the laglessness of it by means of baiting.

About patience:
You can generally keep going aggro (note that my definition of aggro is: putting active pressure), don't commit to holding back unless you know you're simply at an disadvantage. Take it easy on the ledge, there's little he can do while you're hanging there.

Ratio (experience against a LOT of Diddy's, favorite and most played MU):

60:40, making Wario a solid counter.

If anything is unclear, do feel free to ask. Posting this now because I feel like it, not necessarily because I think I covered everything :)

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Stages to take my boy Diddy to:

BattleField

- BF is a very good stage for us Warios. It has platforms which mean a decrease in Banana shenanigans. These platforms allow us to move around the stage without too much jumping and they provide excellent vantage points from which to attack. You can do fall through ****, Platform Cancel ****, and much much more.

- If a Banana for some reason lands on top of a platform, you can pick it up in a variety of ways. You can Air Dodge, you can Nair, and every thing else.

SmashVille

- Wario is in general not very bad on this stage. It helps a lot against Diddy due to the fact that we have a moving platform to play with as well as really good edges.

-Wario can do under the stage stuff if need be with his bike and such.

-The Sides are small so Wario will have very little problems Killing Diddy here.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I can really explain how optionless i feel while playing against Chair's Wario with my Diddy... I have the feeling he can wait out everything I do and punish with fair leading to me needing to land and him capitalizing on that (EDIT: not to clear on this point, i mean he jumps around me waiting for me to do something and everything i do has a very high risk of getting me hit and then juggled). warios just shouldn't have the idea that they should punish everything with strong attacks (uair, fsmash, whatever) just one weak hit can LEAD to so much more damage.

just my 2cents <3 Stoel

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
55:45 to 6:4

You have to play incredibly well to beat a Diddy, who knows the matchup, by a margin of more than last stock mid high to high %.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
How can Wario approach? Walking utilt, pivot grab, dtilt flat-out beat the majority of Warios moves including all his aerials, bite and grab.

:059:

Lord Chair

Smash Master
L2read Austrian.

Wario is still Wario, he doesn't spam broken mechanics until his opponent drops dead. On the regard of approach, this MU behaves exactly like all others: baitz.

Your examples are utilt, pivot grab and dtilt. Darling, if Diddy starts committing to pivot grabs it means he's committing to giving up space doing something which only beats obvious dair approaches. Walking utilt is garbage and only beats dair. How does dtilt beat any specific approach Wario has? It doesn't beat shield approach (which, by the way, should be used sparingly in this MU), it doesn't beat FH or SH dair/fair, it doesn't beat anything really, and it shouldn't be noted as an 'anti approach' move.

Admittedly, Diddy can regain stage control when Wario commits to full hopping, simply by running underneath Wario. This, together with actually hitting Wario, is the only tool available to him with which he can regain control.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
How can Wario approach? Walking utilt, pivot grab, dtilt flat-out beat the majority of Warios moves including all his aerials, bite and grab.

:059:
Dair beats Utilt out actually, from the side if spaced well and from above

Dtilt is actually fairly bad for Diddy in this matchup because it turns him from mobile into stationary. Biggest problem IMO is people wanna play stationary against Wario instead of positioning/jousting for position on the ground. Diddy's strong options are those that give him "get out of jail free" options. Shielding works for Diddy because he can move well from shield to punish or get away. Most everything else that has him stationary is bad.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
1)Take him to stages where there will be platforms such that when he pulls out his bananas they land on the platforms instead of right behind him where he can immediately use them.

2)Whenever you shield a banana it will always pop up into the air after hitting your shield and then you can jump up and airdodge to catch it and use it against diddy.

3) Nair OOS and in general is quite useful in this matchup. You can use it for comboing into grabs and f-smash and gimping diddy when hes charging his rocket barrels.

4) If he doesnt have bananas near him play really aggressive because wario will beat diddy close up if he doesnt have his bananas

5) Whenever you think diddy will side-b, sh fair him before he has time to do the monkey kick.

6) DONT EVER challenge the monkey kick. It has stupid priority and will beat out nearly all of warios moves. The best way to handle it is to fair him before the hitbox for the monkey kick comes out or to space yourself so that he lands right in front of you and then punish his lag.

7) This is a really handy thing Ive been experimenting with against Diddys. Pull out your bike and just sit behind it. The diddy then wont be able to hit you by throwing bananas at the ground level if you do this. He will more often than not break your bike, giving you some projectiles of your own to use against him (tires) or he may try to jump and throw the bananas at you. If he does that then pick them up and use them against him. If he doesnt approach then you dont approach either and thats free fart charge time for you.

8) Dont be afraid to try and gimp him off stage but at the same time dont be too reckless with your gimp because if he side-B's you and jumps off your head, it can screw you over big time. I like to fart whenever they side B at me off stage.
Bassem was helping me out with the Diddy mu in the Q&A thread... thought I'd just quote what he said into here.

Zelderu Maryoto

Smash Apprentice
Diddy Kong's bananas can disturb Wario a bit, though he's not as clumsy as he seems. He does, however, have a long tripping, which can be taken advantage of by Diddy Kong, for example a dsmash or fsmash. On the other hand, Wario is not bad at bananas. But Diddy Kong is more likely to practice bananas than Wario, which is why I like to ban Final Destination, and choose Battlefield if I get to. Diddy Kong does have more problems killing Wario than vice versa. Diddy Kong's best killing move is dsmash. Wario's best killing move is halfcharged fart. Diddy Kong's worst significant killing move is usmash. Wario's worst significant killing move is ftilt.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
Diddy Kong's bananas can disturb Wario a bit, though he's not as clumsy as he seems. He does, however, have a long tripping, which can be taken advantage of by Diddy Kong, for example a dsmash or fsmash. On the other hand, Wario is not bad at bananas. But Diddy Kong is more likely to practice bananas than Wario, which is why I like to ban Final Destination, and choose Battlefield if I get to. Diddy Kong does have more problems killing Wario than vice versa. Diddy Kong's best killing move is dsmash. Wario's best killing move is halfcharged fart. Diddy Kong's worst significant killing move is usmash. Wario's worst significant killing move is ftilt.
diddies upsmash isnt ever considered a kill move, they are ftilt(sparingly) fsmash, dsmash, utilt, uair, fair, maybe even bair near the ledge, warios ftilt kills pretty decent as a ledgeguard, diddies dsmash kills wario barely at 182 in the middle of FD, wario doesnt have a longer tripping animation than other characters

just stating that out ;)

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Lol usmash as a killing move.

It does have its purposes though, so noting it's existence was useful, after all. If you misspace an aerial on Diddy's shield, or if he's shielding and he predicts a dair, Diddy's usmash is an excellent counter. It can be SDId out of, however, and it doesn't necessarily put Wario in an awkward position. Just keep in mind that it's definitely an option. When buffered, I believe it is frame 6 OoS.

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
I dont get this MU @ all. =(

Will read later and hope to understand. I hope it focuses on Diddy's aerials because I find those to be much more intrusive and game-deciding than his bananas.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I disagree. The problem is how fluid he is on the ground and how safe he is when played correctly. That's stronger than him using his aerials even in a good way.

eschemat

Smash Journeyman
So, every Wario who fights against Diddy Kong Wario gets owned.... (check out Bassem's video thread)

How do you get his bananas off the stage? Cause that's where you can really get in the damage.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Oh right, I see people doing that: wasting time throwing the nanas offstage of eating them.

Don't do that. It's such a waste of time and pressure.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Best is keeping a banana and competing with him that way. Having a banana with Wario limits Diddy more than you would think. Same with getting a tire here and there.

eschemat

Smash Journeyman
OK, but doesn't that limit your choices in the air? No more aerial attacks, while Diddy can just fend you off with peanut guns and his banana....

This MU sucks >_<

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
When would you use aerials though? Far away from Diddy, or up close? At far distances, you are gonna be weaving/dodging/positioning anyways. Closer up, if you NEED to use an aerial, Z drop and use whatever.

Ask Gnes about the differences between Wario having a banana and not having one. The matchup is a battle of positioning and subtle limiting of options. Grabbing a banana and using it not as a direct projectile, but as a means of cramping the other player is the way to go. Don't throw banana right at Diddy, bad Wario WAHHHHHHHHHHH. Keep banana and Z drop it/recatch with airdodge, hover around Diddy occasionally throw it straight down and move back, etc.

Keith you gay. I shoulda Fsmashed you instead of Farting in that 2 v 1, I shoulda got paid for GOIN TO WORK like that.

I'll try to record a set that isn't doubles with Gnes, and show you guys what I'm talking about.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
So, every Wario who fights against Diddy Kong Wario gets owned.... (check out Bassem's video thread).
Wut.

Seriously, how did you get that from the beginning (Solid counter, 60:40, hahaha awesome tips etc...) to every wario gets beat?

Like wut.

I would offer advice on this MU and my personal strategies but most of them start with bike so I'm going to just wait until I have time to, other than making one-use replies like this. Also, Chair's got it down pat on strats and the basics of this MU.

Also, just a video: (really weird interruptions and long start up, just try to skip them but its funny anyways)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0dxTrkQQF4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs3WeWIjr7U

I've played Count's Diddy since I began playing in MW tourneys. I've also played Avarice on several occasions , mostly in the positive as far as wins ago. I think I've played others but I forget.

But this is basically how I fight Diddy's. I feel like because we know eachothers styles that we play a bit slower and more careful so that's why we end up going pretty down to the wire on our matches. :)

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Wut.

Seriously, how did you get that from the beginning (Solid counter, 60:40, hahaha awesome tips etc...) to every wario gets beat?

Like wut.

I would offer advice on this MU and my personal strategies but most of them start with bike so I'm going to just wait until I have time to, other than making one-use replies like this. Also, Chair's got it down pat on strats and the basics of this MU.

Also, just a video: (really weird interruptions and long start up, just try to skip them but its funny anyways)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0dxTrkQQF4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs3WeWIjr7U

I've played Count's Diddy since I began playing in MW tourneys. I've also played Avarice on several occasions , mostly in the positive as far as wins ago. I think I've played others but I forget.

But this is basically how I fight Diddy's. I feel like because we know eachothers styles that we play a bit slower and more careful so that's why we end up going pretty down to the wire on our matches. :)
I felt really bad for that diddy. Krsytedez with nana's is indeed very scary. Even though your playstyle is different it would be nice to hear your perspective on matches. Considering the different ways wario can be played I think it can improve his metagame. Those wafts were really good also .

B.Mack

Smash Ace
Diddy Kong's worst significant killing move is usmash. Wario's worst significant killing move is ftilt.
I used to main Diddy before moving to Wario, so I feel I have a bit to contribute to this matchup...
Diddy's worst significant killing move is probably ftilt or b-air, utilt, fsmash, usmash and f-air all kill before them... Wario's worst kill move is obviously usmash, dsmash is atually good as a kill move in this matchup... its still not safe, and diddy having two bananas onstage would likely lead to at least 30% of damage in combos if you miss... but if you land that dsmash, it sends them at a weird angle, usually to the (downwards)side of the stage, with diddy above 80-90%, it would always force him to use the barrels or need to recover to the ledge and Diddy's barrels are f***ing useless so you can just get up and nair him.

another point in edgeguarding him is you should always grab the ledge if he diddy flips AFTER his second jump. most good diddy's would save their double jump until after the flip, but if they used their second jump for DI for example, then they may try to flip towards the stage. if they do, you can grab the ledge, one of two things will happen:
1.) they end up flipping under the stage and are forced to use barrels in an awkward position(nair-ing from here would send them under stage with no jumps left)
2.) they panic and in their attempts to bring out the barrels, they monkey-kick by accident and lose their upB and die.

This may only be specific to my playstyle against diddy's, but this is what I think...
NEWSFLASH: DIDDY CAN USE BANANAS BETTER THAN YOU.
unless he is above 100% or so, and you are looking for the kill (glidetoss>fsmash), you should never ever pick up diddy's bananas, I know from playing as diddy for over a year how easy it is to just shield and pick my banana back from you, and start a 40% combo
bite should be your defense move against diddy every time he has a nana in his hand.
if you eat the banana, he is left nanaless and will either try to pluck or try to fight with no naners, both of which are undesirable positions for diddy. eating his bananas can also be VERY frustrating to your opponent and force them to take very aggressive risks, which I have observed many times I've played this MU. even if diddy shoots a peanut then throws the nana after it and runs at you, you should be able to eat the peanut, the nana and chomp him if you re-open your mouth afterwards. whenever he tries to pluck, and you'r there, just jump after him and chomp it in the air.
having said all this... you have to mix it up... if Diddy knows that you are gonna always try to chomp his bananas... he has other options... he can glidetoss downwards and run after you and approach with dash attack or a grab, and you will most likely be helpless, so dont chomp until you see the banana flying. if the diddy runs at you without nanaer and you are stuck in Bite, his f-air, b-air and dash attack can hit you when spaced properly, however he will get chomped if he tries to grab you while your mouth is open.

all-in-all, I think the bite is one of Wario's best moves in this matchup. Wario has the ability to remove diddy's best asset the fastest in the entire game, so I say we abuse it, frustrate the Diddy Kong and force him to play without the bananas or force him to be riskier with them.
Hope I helped guys :)

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
This may only be specific to my playstyle against diddy's, but this is what I think...
NEWSFLASH: DIDDY CAN USE BANANAS BETTER THAN YOU.
I challenge you to a banana fight then :D I use tires, you think I don't know how to use EFFIN BANANAS?! Get real.

In any case nice contribution.

kaak

Smash Journeyman
Diddy's item game is better than Wario's simply because his data is better. Just an example, nana toss OoS for Diddy is like, frame 6, I have no idea what Wario's is but it's definitely a lot slower than that.

'S just an example, it's not about knowing how to use nanas, it's about the fact that Diddy's data is better.

~Chair

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
It's clearly a combination of how to use nanas, "data", and options.

You can have the fastest throw in the entire cast, but what difference does it make if it doesn't complement the rest of your options/kill moves?

Diddy is notoriously known for having a crappy set of kill moves, about the only kill move that is really good is dsmash after a slip/trip. Wario can do sooo much, a lot of his kill moves benefit so much from a tire, let alone a peel.

Face it, Diddy can't do !@#$ like Wario can if he steals Diddy's diamonds peelz.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Diddy's item game is better than Wario's simply because his data is better. Just an example, nana toss OoS for Diddy is like, frame 6, I have no idea what Wario's is but it's definitely a lot slower than that.

'S just an example, it's not about knowing how to use nanas, it's about the fact that Diddy's data is better.

~Chair
I suggest you watch kryst play against a diddy before you make such bold claims.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Fallacy is fallacy.
*sigh*

Okay you've listed on way as to how diddy's game is better than Wario's which is OoS nana toss.

Care to list other toss that's better?

frame data is okay don't OD on it because there's still human reaction and human error. I've seen plenty of unsafe moves frame wise work on people. Also it's pretty obnoxious of you to not even know what Wario's nana toss is but to claim diddy's to be superior. But I'm not going to to convince you of anything nor while I be able to change your mind on anything. So basically this post is wasted on you. *sigh*

tibs7

Smash Champion
Dude you're way off......
It's 7 when it comes out ~8 by the time it hits the opponent.
And wario ***** with bananas,
but not as much as diddy.

Top Bottom