• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Week 36 Matchup Discussion: Cpt. Falcon!

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Yeah I've been reading through that with a certain sort of astonishment as well.

Falcon's shield approach against Wario is... not so good.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Lol matchups are based on equal skilled people at the very top of level play, not the low tier completely outsmarting the top tier. That's similar to Links claiming going even with Snake, if Link doesn't outsmart Snake he's going to get *****, but if he can outsmart, then it's maybe even (but already breaking the matchup rules).

So even if Ally did beat good Wario's, they just lost because how good reads Ally makes. And did those Warios actually know the Falcon matchup?

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
And that's what I'm saying. There's not many people playing Falcon on a professional level aside from Ally. I can only think of two or three others, but I doubt they even play anymore. lmao

A lot of people think it's equal, which I think is ridiculous.
40:60 in Wario's favor seems to be the most accurate ratio, imo.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I'm still leaning toward 40:60, Wario's favor. 35:65 isn't a bad assumption either now that I think about it, but I dunno.

It's definantly in Wario's favor, but at a professional level, there's very few Falcons who know what the hell they're doing to even give a decent basis for this match-up {or any match-up, for that matter}. We know a good Wario wouldn't get grabbed, but Falcon has some of the best grab potential in the game thanks to his ******** dash -> shield -> shield grab approach. So if a good/professional Falcon {lol, if that exists other than Ally} played in this match-up, who knows? It takes a skilled, smart player to get anywhere against a character like Wario, especially with a character as poor as Captain Falcon. Ally's the only one that's been proving that Falcon even has potential in this match-up, but hey, it's Ally. The Warios could have just been poor players compared to him.

Just stating that from the posts on our boards about it. lol
Yeah I've been reading through that with a certain sort of astonishment as well.

Falcon's shield approach against Wario is... not so good.
"In fact, this is one of the main reasons that Captain Falcon saw a raise on the tier list. He can penetrate the zoning of many characters, and can get a grab (which has decent follow-ups) or a Uair."

Pierce on shield approaches. kthxbai

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
"In fact, this is one of the main reasons that Captain Falcon saw a raise on the tier list. He can penetrate the zoning of many characters, and can get a grab (which has decent follow-ups) or a Uair."

Pierce on shield approaches. kthxbai
Wario's air speed > your logic.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I can't tell the defense from falcon mains and sonic mains you guys sound the same with all this run speed non sense =/.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Explain shpl0x, "it doesn't work" doesn't satisfy me.

It's not like we have to approach Wario akneeways..
It's fairly easy.

A sliding shield is a good tactic indeed, against characters who avoid shieldgrabs using their RANGE. The thing with Wario is that his shield safity is mainly because he can crossup his nair and dair even when starting the attack in front.
Your sliding shield is useless if Wario ends up behind you and your shield drop is 6 frames. <3

bassem6

Smash Lord
Hmm. I would say this MU is 55-45 Falcon. Reasons for this.

1) Falcon's jab>grab which leads to his grab releases on wario

2) Falcons up air, which beats out any of wario's aerials if timed correctly

3) Falcon's ground speed which allows him to get into wario's comfort zone and be more unpredictable with his grabs.

Yeah, I know. Many people will disagree with this. The problem is that there arent enough GOOD falcon players to show how this matchup REALLY is. I will still MM any wario who thinks its worse than 50-50 for falcon.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Hmm. I would say this MU is 55-45 Falcon. Reasons for this.

1) Falcon's jab>grab which leads to his grab releases on wario

2) Falcons up air, which beats out any of wario's aerials if timed correctly

3) Falcon's ground speed which allows him to get into wario's comfort zone and be more unpredictable with his grabs.

Yeah, I know. Many people will disagree with this. The problem is that there arent enough GOOD falcon players to show how this matchup REALLY is. I will still MM any wario who thinks its worse than 50-50 for falcon.
You didn't lose to captain falcon you lost to Ally there's a huge difference. Okay?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
If we're going by Bassem's experiences, ICs beat Wario like 90:10.

Not trying to be a ****, just trying to show that extrapolation is a ridiculous thing.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Bassem I guess ill accept that MM. I mean, what is stated above is rather true. There arent any really good falcons to shows that the matchup is in his favor. I have to ask though, Bassem, Do you have any REAL falcon experience? You cant really judge the matchup upon a set with you and ally throughly without having prior falcon experience.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Still sticking with my ratio of 40:60. Either you guys are overrating your aerial spacing or underrating Falcon's dash -> shield -> grab / dash grab because it's still extremely useful against Wario. Just because Wario can land out of grab range against most characters doesn't really apply / work nearly as well against Falcon's mobility.

It's just as Bassem said though. There's a huge controversy over this match-up on both of the boards. There's hardly any Falcon mains that know how to read/punish opponents and play logical. It's Wario's favor either way, but it seems that people are giving somewhat of a blind-eye toward Falcon's potential.

bassem6

Smash Lord
Nah px. I would say IC's vs wario is either 50:50 or 55:45 wario. I just suck at that MU. And Ally is the only GOOD falcon that I have ever played.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
If Falcon is approaching with the Nair, it's possible to punish him. But it has enough range to safely space Wario's options. Considering it auto-cancels, he doesn't have to worry about any cooldown time punishment if Wario's grounded.

If Falcon's Nair is spaced properly, the time it would take for Wario to use an Nair to punish him, Falcon could have an up tilt started. Not saying that Falcon should be using that in this situation, but if he has the time to use/possibly land an up tilt, then he definantly has the ability to stay out of Wario's comfort zone.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
If Falcon is approaching with the Nair, it's possible to punish him. But it has enough range to safely space Wario's options. Considering it auto-cancels, he doesn't have to worry about any cooldown time punishment if Wario's grounded.

If Falcon's Nair is spaced properly, the time it would take for Wario to use an Nair to punish him, Falcon could have an up tilt started. Not saying that Falcon should be using that in this situation, but if he has the time to use/possibly land an up tilt, then he definantly has the ability to stay out of Wario's comfort zone.
I think you guys are underestimating the things that wario can punish. It's rather obnoxious the amount of things he can punish.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
No, it's obvious that Wario can punish. I've mained him long enough to know that fairly well. But punishing Falcon's Nair with his own Nair out of shield? I'm 99% sure that he can't do that. Falcon should have enough time, if he fastfalls the Nair, to pull up a shield himself.

I'm not entirely certain on the frame data, so perfect buffering? No idea. If Wario is guaranteed a hit, the timing is ridiculously strict to be able to punish a spaced Nair with that.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
No, it's obvious that Wario can punish. I've mained him long enough to know that fairly well. But punishing Falcon's Nair with his own Nair out of shield? I'm 99% sure that he can't do that. Falcon should have enough time, if he fastfalls the Nair, to pull up a shield himself.

I'm not entirely certain on the frame data, so perfect buffering? No idea. If Wario is guaranteed a hit, the timing is ridiculously strict to be able to punish a spaced Nair with that.
Does your nair out range Marth's fair ?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
You can punish Marth's SHFF Fair with good spacing, either with nair or fair or bair, with the latter two being the easiest. I made a living off it, lol.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
No, Marth's Fair slightly outranges Falcon's Nair. It depends on how Falcon tends to pressure Wario's shield though. A short hop first hit Nair or a normal short hop Nair. The second hit of Falcon's Nair pressures more than the first, but I don't see people using that too much against characters while they're grounded. Plus, Wario's pretty short, I don't see it being that useful against him anyway.

The thing about Marth's Fair is that it rarely hits right when he's landing. Though it's possible, I rarely see Marths using a Fair anywhere other than the peak of their short hop. Falcon can use his Nair just as he's hitting the ground and pull up a shield about 3-4 frames after. Well, that might not be accurate, but it's extremely close to that frame rate.

Wario may be able to punish it though.

Top Bottom