• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Warming up to Bills: Saturday, 14 November 2009 (BRING SETUPS!)

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Well, I played wifi for like a year so I can handle laggy tvs.

If the prize is only a trophy with no cash prize im not going. Not worth the drive

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
if the turnout doesn't look so great, is the pot fee going to be lowered?
Is $10 that much to ask for? :confused:

Let's just try and get some people to go to this. :)

coughcoughiwantabirthdaylapdanceSleepycough
Not gonna ask about this one.

Well, I played wifi for like a year so I can handle laggy tvs.

If the prize is only a trophy with no cash prize im not going. Not worth the drive
There is a cash prize for my tourney. ;);)

Isuyaru

Smash Cadet
Well, looks like I'll actually be going to this one. I have a really bad attendance record with tournaments, but having one in walking distance is just too convenient.

Rayku

Smash Lord
And it's fixed.

BBQ, come to this tourney. You can even get here without a ride, so you have no excuse.
It's not Melee only, Kazoo.

Also, I wasn't talking about it. I was pointing out that Bloshi basically decided to change his mind. I never said a thing.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
yah idk where you were going with that kazoo, rayku made a legitimate point

LOOK WHO FORGOT THEIR LOGIN LOLOL JAFF

actually i like jaff better than metroid 01

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
hmmmm i guess since i go to gatech i will be in attendance

man im ditching debate judging + $$ to play smash bros
worst debate coach ever = me

Rayku

Smash Lord
I was like the first person to say I was coming. I even said I was bringing a setup. GG.
Yeah. I even tried to get him to come to TN with Fullmetal and I (If we end up going), and he said he was going to this instead.

Gotta pay attention to your attendants, Kazoo

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
i really think $10 is too much for a small event like this.

mecatomato

Smash Lord
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332
its 10 mah fkin' dollars you need to man the FVCK up.
manning up =/= spening money in stupid way

Well, looks like I'll actually be going to this one. I have a really bad attendance record with tournaments, but having one in walking distance is just too convenient.
dude, you are alive. lol
how have you been?

I quit attending any tourney after 2007 Fall semester in Purdue.
there were 2 exceptions, because my friends hosted the tourney FOR ME.

but other than that type of special events, i don't spend my money in tourney in general..

Not good enough. You will be there.
.....>_> i can show up for friendlies for sure.
but tourney? even if it is $5, i will have to think about it.

actually i like jaff better than metroid 01
JaFF01.

Done.

Aww, i thought you were good.
did you get any other asian sick?

i really think $10 is too much for a small event like this.
any amount is too much for me. lol
i feel like i am so chinese now.

but i don't care. i am in GT.

I don't care how much it costs. I'm not winning any money either way.
I CARE how much it costs, BECAUSEi am not winning any money either way. >_>
it will just be gone. how can you not care if you are spending money and don't get ANY profit back?

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
Man multi-quoting is so much unnecessary work i dunno how you guys do it

Anyways, suggestion: tong-esque smashfest
They have always been good and sometimes get good turnouts
Making fun of tech melee players is always a good time, plus i feel like mr. TO has reached out to the scene here on smashboards, but not the regulars around campus.
I, for one, have not seen a thing on facebook or around campus advertising some melee times - and Tong has all the classic contacts and the asian boyish charm to attract shy tech males

Just a suggestion - $5 tourney for fun is all good, but most people just wanna play and hang out (by most people I mean me), so a tournament should, imo be a side event, especially with potential turnouts looking as they do. It seems Gatech is your biggest audience atm, so reaching out to them is probably optimal. Plus if you ranch in Tech melee players, it encourages Melee players to come down and try to play em for $$, plus it encourages Meleers at Tech that you don't know who they are to step they game up.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I CARE how much it costs, BECAUSEi am not winning any money either way. >_>
it will just be gone. how can you not care if you are spending money and don't get ANY profit back?
that's like saying you don't want to go to the movies because you aren't receiving any profit.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
errr... I will think about it.
10 is too much for me though.
$10 is like an absolute minimum. I looked @ a large selection of tourneys on the boards, both big and small. $10 is a very affordable price, plus there is no door fee.

It's not Melee only, Kazoo.

Also, I wasn't talking about it. I was pointing out that Bloshi basically decided to change his mind. I never said a thing.
Pardon then, as I thought you were coming off a little trollish there. My apologies.

Good for you.

I was like the first person to say I was coming. I even said I was bringing a setup. GG.
Apologies.

Man multi-quoting is so much unnecessary work i dunno how you guys do it

Anyways, suggestion: tong-esque smashfest
They have always been good and sometimes get good turnouts
Making fun of tech melee players is always a good time, plus i feel like mr. TO has reached out to the scene here on smashboards, but not the regulars around campus.
I, for one, have not seen a thing on facebook or around campus advertising some melee times - and Tong has all the classic contacts and the asian boyish charm to attract shy tech males

Just a suggestion - $5 tourney for fun is all good, but most people just wanna play and hang out (by most people I mean me), so a tournament should, imo be a side event, especially with potential turnouts looking as they do. It seems Gatech is your biggest audience atm, so reaching out to them is probably optimal. Plus if you ranch in Tech melee players, it encourages Melee players to come down and try to play em for $$, plus it encourages Meleers at Tech that you don't know who they are to step they game up.
Look broham, since I know for a fact that--outstanding commitments notwithstanding--you will be @ the Brawl tourney the night before (which is free btw), why don't you do me a solid: Just stop complaining. Of course, there will be friendlies there which will be free. To the end of bringing more people in, I actually will be @ the Brawl tourney for an hour or two telling everyone about my tourney tomorrow, as well as the possibility for it to include Brawl should there be enough interest (viz. people bringing full setups).

Haven't seen as many Smash players around @ Tech Rec compared to the past couple of years. Maybe I am not looking hard enough. :ohwell:
what's the payout anyway?
70-20-10 for 1st, 2nd, & 3rd respectively.

This.

And I decided to go to this tourney. I want to have Xif's blood spattered all over my green dress. :lick:
Can't wait to see you there. :)

As for the bloodshed, just make sure you do that outside in the picnic area. :chuckle:

Rayku

Smash Lord
that's like saying you don't want to go to the movies because you aren't receiving any profit.
Your profit is the pleasure of seeing the movie, dummy.

With that logic, I could say (to a more extreme extent) that buying food is pointless. You don't get better at buying food, you just get full.

If you hunt for your food, you get better at hunting. That doesn't cost any money.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Your profit is the pleasure of seeing the movie, dummy.

With that logic, I could say (to a more extreme extent) that buying food is pointless. You don't get better at buying food, you just get full.

If you hunt for your food, you get better at hunting. That doesn't cost any money.
I was implying that you go to a video game tournament for entertainment, just as you would for a movie.

edit
Eh, I still probably didn't explain myself properly.

You don't necessarily go to a video game tournament to make a profit, but to spend your money and have a good time in return. You do the same for a movie. The profit is the entertainment.

Rayku

Smash Lord
I was implying that you go to a video game tournament for entertainment, just as you would for a movie.

edit
Eh, I still probably didn't explain myself properly.

You don't necessarily go to a video game tournament to make a profit, but to spend your money and have a good time in return. You do the same for a movie. The profit is the entertainment.
I'll fix your statement for you, to mecatomato:

"You suck. Get better"
-BBQ

GOD!

Smash Ace
I will almost definitely be here.

Also with the money issue: if there is no venuefee, I like the idea of just having a smashfest where we just play to get better. There's also a guy (n00b) at tech who promised to go to a melee tournament someday, and if it costs nothing he will almost have to go. Otherwise, he could complain about getting $10 robbed from him. Also, if money isn't involved in someone's first smash community experience, then they won't feel hurt when they lose and they won't feel like they are being shaken down. This encourages growth.

I have never even been to a smashfest before and they sound funner than tournaments.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
i still dont' understand how kazoo pushed through a money dollars tournament on campus i got flamed down last time i tried smth about "it's GAMBLING AND ILLEGAL"

mecatomato

Smash Lord
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332
i don't often go to movies anyway. you got that well. =)

i go for good movies though. like, things that i would enjoy.

I can say I 'quit' smash bros...
this game doesn't interest me anymore. it is only an option of socializing with other people when it gets to the best or only option for socializing at the moment.

So, i know I am not going to enjoy 'so much' and even knowing the fact that i will lose money, what is so worth for it?

I can have fun, is that what you are going to say?
well, I don't really play differently in friendlies or tourney.

i will 'try' either way.

That means, I will have same worth of 'fun' in both friendlies which is free and Tournament.

and...
First of all, people have different opinions and thoughts.
well, I guess we just have different opinions about $10 for tourney.
end of discussion.

$10 is like an absolute minimum. I looked @ a large selection of tourneys on the boards, both big and small. $10 is a very affordable price, plus there is no door fee.
errr,
that's why i don't go to tourney,..? >_>

Top Bottom