• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Warming up to Bills: Saturday, 14 November 2009 (BRING SETUPS!)

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
how much for a partial + recording + streaming set up?

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
how much for a partial + recording + streaming set up?
No waiving of fees for partial setup, unless you bring a setup of a GC (sans TV) with Melee and a recording apparatus to livestream. In this instance only will I knock off $10 on your entry fee. I would livestream this with my HD PVR, but it is currently incompatible with Windows 7 Pro x64. :(

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
whoa...I haven't been following this thread so I didn't realize that there wasn't a venue fee and people were asking for discounts on the ENTRY fee?! daaang @_@

Like...I might have to read in greater detail with regard to the first post, but unless the TO/venue is matching any waived pot-fee straight from their pocket, this is all KINDS of "not legit." Sorry if this has all been addressed but all I'm saying is, the only time anyone is allowed to "waive" a fee is if that person/entity would otherwise RECEIVE the fee, had they not waived it.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Please Read If You Are Bringing A Setup

whoa...I haven't been following this thread so I didn't realize that there wasn't a venue fee and people were asking for discounts on the ENTRY fee?! daaang @_@

Like...I might have to read in greater detail with regard to the first post, but unless the TO/venue is matching any waived pot-fee straight from their pocket, this is all KINDS of "not legit." Sorry if this has all been addressed but all I'm saying is, the only time anyone is allowed to "waive" a fee is if that person/entity would otherwise RECEIVE the fee, had they not waived it.
Yeah, that's a little sketch on my part. My sincerest apologies for that.

Allow me to restate: IF YOU ARE BRINGING A FULL SETUP (VIZ A GC/WII, MELEE, & A TV), YOU WILL PAY $10 LESS FOR YOUR ENTRY FEE. E.G. IF YOU ARE ENTERING MELEE DOUBLES & SINGLES, YOU WILL PAY ONLY $10 (AS OPPOSED TO $20). SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE THIS MAY HAVE CAUSED.

toasty

Smash Hero
*facekeyboard*

you're missing the point...BUT............what's done is done. People already have that information and you can't really take it back [the clarification is fine].

For future reference, though, what I'm trying to say is that people are entering a competition to win money. When people to go to tournaments and pay a venue fee, it is understood that the venue fee is separate from the entrance fee. If some people don't have to pay the venue fee for one reason or another, it's generally accepted by all competitors and, more importantly, would-be winners.

Why? Because it is implied that their winnings would never include the venue fee anyway; any reduction of the total venue fees collected does not reduce the amount they can potentially win in the tournament.

What you're ultimately doing, however, is lowering the total winnings. You cannot do that.

If you don't want to charge a venue fee, that's fine. But unless the money is coming out of your pocket, you can't feasibly offer a cash incentive for bringing setups in the form of a reduced entrance fee.

Scenario [for all intents and purposes, in this example, you're completely waiving the entry fee]:

Mr. Dirty wants to enter a tournament.
Mr. Dirty might be able to win some money in teams, perhaps.
Mr. Dirty doesn't have any money.
Sadface.
Oh wait! What does Mr. Dirty have?!
A full Melee setup with a TV and even a recording setup?!?!
Mr. Dirty CAN afford to compete in the same competition as everyone else paid even though he has NO money!
If Mr. Dirty wins teams, that's fantastic! Free money! Not to mention the fact that he didn't pay anything! [rofllll I'm dying here]
If Mr. Dirty loses? Eh. Oh well. It's not like he paid any money to enter :)

......and that's just one side to this dilemma.

Shenanigans like this should never happen at a tournament.

Again: if the money waived is, instead, coming out of your pocket and into the pot, that's a completely different [and legit] story.

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
I don't understand this idea at all-
Unless you're supplementing the pot money with your own personal funds, you are essentially shooting yourself in the foot by offering $$$ off of entry fees for bringing setups.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Ok, before I sit here and pull my hair out from the amount of stupid that has been coming out my keyboard, what do you currently suppose I do in this situation? I know that I wanted the fee to be less for people acutally bringing setups, but if I shouldn't completely take $10 off, would it be okay if I take a lesser amount off of their entry fees? Or should I not take any amount off @ all.

I'm quite sorry about this, but any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :embarrass

BBQ°

Smash Champion
you can't change it now. The tourney starts in an hour.

The best you could do is pay for those people who brought setups out of your own pocket.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
It shouldn't be too too bad though, if it's a limit of 7 setups (he has one himself), so 6 setups is 60 dollars split amongst both tournaments is 30 dollars taken out of teams and 30 taken from singles.

But there will be people that bring one but not the other and setups with materialize without the discount.

Still shouldn't happen but it's not the worst.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Okay, I now know never to completely remove the fee for those entering. It wouldn't be very fair of me to reverse the rules and say that everyone pays. However, for future tourneys, this will be the first and the last time I make this mistake.

However, I am in no position to pay for the people who brought setups. I have money, but not that much. In the interest of fairness though, I will be paying for my registration for singles.

Registration is currently open for doubles as I type this.

Oh and for those saying they would be here.

GET HERE NOW! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Seriously though, you should be here.

GOD!

Smash Ace
Im gonna hang out with some people at tech now, then Im gonna bring one of them over at around 4:30 to 5. I bet some other people have similar stories.

toasty

Smash Hero
Okay, I now know never to completely remove the fee for those entering.
WTF Kazoo you keep playing with words and not saying anything new.

You're failing to understand the basic concept:
NEVER remove ANY of the fee for those entering!

Not this "never to completely remove" crap.

As it's been stated before, you can't do anything about today's event but in the future: unless you plan to replace the money you reduce for them with your OWN money from your pocket, you are in NO position to reduce anyone's entry fee.

Smashers are 100% okay with venue fees, especially if it's like $5. Then you can waive that $5 for those who bring setups.

If the venue does not require a fee, and you want to enhance the tournament experience, do what I've done in the past [and with phenomenal results] and provide food(pizza)/drinks(can sodas). In those instances, though, since I was only charging $5 for all of it, I didn't offer discounts to anyone. Not even myself. But I'm a selfless TO and it's okay to be a little selfish as a TO since you're putting in so many hours planning/organizing/running it.

If the venue doesn't require a venue fee, and you want to make people feel special for bringing setups, give them a hug or a ****ing imaginary cookie. I don't know.

This community has done pretty well so far with people caring enough about it to bring setups. If people want to be ***** and demand some sort of incentive [when there isn't a venue fee, I mean], having the tournament run smoothly and on time/early should be enough of one.

d_shep04

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3239-7702-5941
Hey N!ggah's,

This is Knorr & D-Shep b!tches... we are n raleigh and want a way 2 chapel hill so KNORR said one of yall NAGGAH'S come get us!!!

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
resultz

teams

1) GPC Facecrushers - Fullmetal and chaddd
2) GOOOOoOOoouuuoO - Marty and XIF
3) Stork and Jaedong - SleepyK and Dashdancedan
4) BlueJim and TBag
5) Ivysaur and Tubes

Singles
1) chaddd
1) XIF
split first place, but chaddd won the silly low tier winner's finals
3) Stork/SleepyK
4) Fullmetal
5) Kosine
5) Eugenio
7) Dashdancedan
7) BBQ?

idk after that

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
WTF Kazoo you keep playing with words and not saying anything new.

You're failing to understand the basic concept:
NEVER remove ANY of the fee for those entering!

Not this "never to completely remove" crap.

As it's been stated before, you can't do anything about today's event but in the future: unless you plan to replace the money you reduce for them with your OWN money from your pocket, you are in NO position to reduce anyone's entry fee.

Smashers are 100% okay with venue fees, especially if it's like $5. Then you can waive that $5 for those who bring setups.
It actually only worked out pretty well. I decided before the matches started that everyone should have to pay the full $10. I had only one team drop out as a result, and no one from singles dropped out as a result.

This will certainly be the first and the last time I try that experiment again. :embarrass

resultz

teams

1) GPC Facecrushers - Fullmetal and chaddd
2) GOOOOoOOoouuuoO - Marty and XIF
3) Stork and Jaedong - SleepyK and Dashdancedan
4) BlueJim and TBag
5) Ivysaur and Tubes

Singles
1) chaddd
1) XIF
split first place, but chaddd won the silly low tier winner's finals
3) Stork/SleepyK
4) Fullmetal
5) Kosine
5) Eugenio
7) Dashdancedan
7) BBQ?

idk after that
Just made a results thread for shoutouts and such...

Top Bottom