• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WATO15 - The FINAL WATO - Orlando, FL - 7/31/11 - Results

SxK

Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei"
Wi-fi helps learn matchups and stuff.
Also it can teach you to compensate for lag, and laggy tvs.

Mampam

Smash Ace
Wifi makes me worse.
i used to dominate wifi with records like
39-3
33-3
25-4

and be in the top 20 everytime

but after i took this long *** break, after some salty loss, i am 0-2 on this ladder
and that was like 4months ago XD

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
A facebook post from someone in the Orlando Fighting Game Community said:
I dunno...I respect the hell out of Poongko's style in KOF (YouTube search for "pungko kof xi" and see what comes up), because there I'm convinced it works in his favor every time. Offense is faster, more ambiguous, and much more rewarding. If you are a robot who finishes every combo you start...that's a real gameplan in KOF (well, certain KOFs...mostly XI TBH, which is definitely Poongko's game).

In SF4...I think he's holding himself back by fixating so much on being an execution monster in a game with horrible damage scaling, monstrous reversals, floaty jumps, an army of powerful offensive AND defensive option selects, and gaps in blockstrings so large you could drive a truck (with a flaming Ultra bar painted on it) through them. This is not a game where you can expect to kill somebody in 2-3 fancy combos without taking serious risks. You're counting on your opponent's complete inability to defend -- and while that works more than it SHOULD at EVO, I think it can only take you so far. When he runs into a player with actual top-tier defense...he's at a loss.

I think he'd demonstrate much more flexibility AND success as a Street Fighter player if he'd just swallow his pride and dumb it down a bit. This is a dumb game (though certainly not the dumbest). You gotta treat it like one.
As soon as I read this, I saw so much in common to where I am at in this game relative to the style of play of Poongko in SFIV. Now don't get me wrong, I am nowhere close to the player that Poongko is. However, we share many similarities. Like Poongko, my style of play is to overwhelm my opponent, not just by throwing random moves out but to open up my opponent's defenses. Like Poongko, I thrive in the spotlight. I want the attention. I want the challenge. I want to win, but I don't want to just win. I want to win with flare.

I don't know if Poongko is like that exactly, but in Winner's Finals against Fuudo, he had a chance to take the first round of game 1 but he decided to attempt to extend his combo rather than go for a reset and it didn't pay off in the end. Now, those who watch me play, my playstyle is presumably radical, not so much as erratic but I definitely differ myself from the norm. It's not because I want to be different, it's just how I see the game. My experience with traditional fighting games has led to this, and while I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing, it is however holding me back.

Unfortunately, the people playing this game have made this game what it is. Sure one could say that the game is the reason the game is what it is and there is truth to that. However, I'm a firm believer of exploration of depth and I don't see it. "But what about VGBC and their Metagame Minute series?" OK, what else?

Now that last statement in the quote affects me the most because Mink has brought to my attention that I have to much pride. I respect that you care Mink, I truly do and for that I'll tell you why. I put too much work in this game, without the resources that other players have, without sufficient transportation to get to places like other players have, but I'm persistent. There have been many times I ask myself why I should keep playing. However, as a competitor and one that loves work, quitting is the equivalent to failure and failure is not an option. With that said though, I will swallow my pride a bit. I can't change who I am or what got me here but I can make adjustments. I just hope those adjustments don't take away the only reason I play this game.

2-DJeff

Smash Master
All I know is brawl is never gonna get any hype if everyone just camps. Only reason why brawl has more hype then melee is because brawl is a newer game.

Also dtorr I got hrnut to play ae after I told him top 8 characters of ae at evo where rush down.
Ill maybe do shoutouts when I get home.

:phone:

Toneh

Smash Lord
Airtime rule, running away the whole match will put you at a disadvantage and rushdown is encouraged. Only the japanese use it atm I think.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Adding more rules isn't gonna change the mentality of players. It is what it is. I just have to make the adjustment from using my talent to just playing the game the way the game needs to be played.

2-DJeff

Smash Master
Lol its gonna be dumb Friday. I have to big goals for ae next year qualify for sbo or come close and make it out of top 32 at evo. Gonna take alot of training but I know I can do it. I just gotta try to take the crown and be king of orlando first.

2-DJeff

Smash Master
Its this weekend? Ill try to make it. I wanted to do afo kinda. You always want to set big goals dtorr. It makes you wanna work harder

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Now that last statement in the quote affects me the most because Mink has brought to my attention that I have to much pride. I respect that you care Mink, I truly do and for that I'll tell you why. I put too much work in this game, without the resources that other players have, without sufficient transportation to get to places like other players have, but I'm persistent. There have been many times I ask myself why I should keep playing. However, as a competitor and one that loves work, quitting is the equivalent to failure and failure is not an option. With that said though, I will swallow my pride a bit. I can't change who I am or what got me here but I can make adjustments. I just hope those adjustments don't take away the only reason I play this game.
I justt read this and it made me very happy and understanding to your situation. Though of course, you're my boy and i always understand. Though. Not to argue, but as a side note about myself. I love being the center of attention, as i'm sure you've noticed. Though, i choose to be more humble about it. I feel that being too prideful can only make you look worse in the spotlight, and the only reason i brought it up is because of how much i respect you. And i didn't want anyone to see you poorly, or for you to come off wrong. You're my boy. My most looked up to player. And everything i say comes as a fellow zss and a friend. :)

I hope nothing i said was offensive

M@v

Subarashii!
i used to dominate wifi with records like
39-3
33-3
25-4

and be in the top 20 everytime

but after i took this long *** break, after some salty loss, i am 0-2 on this ladder
and that was like 4months ago XD
If I cared about wifi I could make the playoffs. But that would also involve completely trashing my offline mk because hes my best character on wifi. And since I main mk now, thats a problem.

The two times I cared about ladder, I had a 1750 rating and the other time I was 1600 something with like a 25-3 record. Then I stopped caring both times and ladder degeneration did its terrible deeds. Then it wasn't even worth getting back into.

And I hate wifi for a lot of reasons, but the main one is that powershielding is near non-existent. You don't know how many smash spamming dk's I've lost to on wifi because I try to punish their idiocy with powershielding.

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
Time to save this thread from being a Street Fighter social :troll:

1. Seibrik :wario: - Always good to see ya as usual. Nice job winning (again).
2. Mampam :diddy: - Good ****ing **** this tournament. Caught me by surprise lol. Ima have to learn that aggro diddy matchup lol. Rematch soon.
3. Chaz :marth: - Ahh good sheee. Sad we couldn't play in losers finals, but oh well. Thanks for driving SFL to this event mate.
4. DJ Jack :falco: - Da bess.
5. Xaltis :metaknight: - Not placing in the money. Problem? It's always nice ****** teams with you, tho.
5. GDX :diddy: - Son, I am disappoint. 2nd game shouldn't have gone down like that :\ You're much better than that.
7. 2D Jeff :popo: - Haha. Told ya you'd beat me if we ever played in tournament. At least I was kinda close. Never go MK against me though LOL.
7. DFEAR :diddy: - Don't sweat it. You're still beast. I'll train with you for as long as you need on the Falco MU for KTAR.
9. Trump :fox: - Always a pleasure to hang with the cap'n. I'll get that song done >_>
9. CO18 :dedede: - Didn't really have a chance to meet/play ya. Regardless, good stuff vs Xaltis.
9. Kyon :peach: - Good **** beating Xaltis in tournament! Put in dat work.
9. Ryo :ike: - Damn son, I almost felt the wrath of your **** that 3rd match. I got lucky lol. We will definitely play again next time I go up north.
13. omGitsMudkip :rob: - you're legit as hell. Kinda had me nervous in our MM lol. Much respect, though.
13. Exdeath :metaknight: - We didn't get our MM :glare: You played well at the tournament, though. You're improving.
13. Renki :sheik: - I didn't really meet/play you either, but you were doing work in teams with Mink. good ****.
13. Sax :metaknight: - Very legit player. I took the **** pretty hard on rainbow cruise lol.
17. pesticide :olimar: - Ahh, nice seeing ya as always. Sad we didn't play our MM :\ Next tournament, aye?
17. Hungrybox :dedede: - Why are you so good at both games lol. Thank you for running this legit event and good luck in college, mate.
17. Viper :falco: - You definitely could have placed higher. Nice to finally meet you and hopefully we play each other next time.
17. JaZz :fox: - Always nice to hang and chat with ya as usual. I enjoy playing you because you're such a good sport :D And your Fox has definitely been improving. Keep putting in dat work.
25. Mink :jigglypuff: - Ryan! We didn't finish our MM dammit. I'm gonna take you out. I'm kinda disappointed at your placing though :\ You'll do better next time.
25. D-Torr :zerosuitsamus: - Don't put yourself down. Just wasn't your day. It's always cool to hang with ya as usual.

Top Bottom