• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wes, the ultimate gen 3 rep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

And you know who he had instead? Mewtwo. Easily the most popular Pokemon at that time. It was at least a good reason to exclude them. Plus, maybe he couldn't figure out the Trainer idea until Brawl?
It is mentioned in a 2002 Famitsu that a character such as Pokemon Trainer would've been taken too much time and effort to pull off in Melee (though he mentioned it about an idea he had for a Johto Trainer using the Johto starters, which later "evolved" into the Pokemon Trainer concept in Brawl with the Kanto starters instead.).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It is mentioned in a 2002 Famitsu that a character such as Pokemon Trainer would've been taken too much time and effort to pull off in Melee (though he mentioned it about an idea he had for a Johto Trainer using the Johto starters, which later "evolved" into the Pokemon Trainer concept in Brawl with the Kanto starters instead.).
I'd thought I heard of that, I just wasn't sure. Thanks for that, though.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Right, we should take this to the Pokemon trainer in the veterans section, since this is about Wes and not the PT brawl or speculation of a melee PT. Get this vote underway. To vote for the third slot in Wes' roster (the first two are Umbreon and Espeon) you just need to say I vote for... It's out of Sudowoodo and Hairyama.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
And you know who he had instead? Mewtwo. Easily the most popular Pokemon at that time. It was at least a good reason to exclude them. Plus, maybe he couldn't figure out the Trainer idea until Brawl?
Or he couldn't figure out the Pokemon Trainer mechanics in Melee...much like how Pit's flight predicament in SSB64 and SSBM.

Anyways, even though this isn't a discussion about the Pokemon Trainer, it kind of is. Wes would take the idea of the Pokemon Trainer thus making him unique and that would be a real crime.

And I would personally prefer N or a Hoenn Trainer to take the place of Red (Pokemon Trainer) instead of this Wes dude.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I'm just saying that he could rep gen 3 and home consoles. Anyway, it's about PT and you're connecting it to Wes by saying that we're discussing who he might replace. Could we actually get on to Wes, the character.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Go here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=325386 and see how wrong you are. There are a few who don't but most have some specifications.
Except here people want different characters cut, there is real no majority opinion on one character being cut, which means if there were to be any cuts, there would be a harsh backlash. Plus it was a wishlist type hypothetical question.

And, as Opossum said, it was under the conditions of only adding six new characters.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Well there will be limited space. Sakurai said in an interview (don't ask me for a link someone said it on here) that he wants no more than 50 characters, so some cuts are inevitable.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Even if no characters were cut, that still leaves room for like 10-15 new characters (depending on if you count characters like Sakurai does), not six. So space won't be as limited as it is in that hypothetical question.

Plus clearly the answers in that topic prove that there is no character that everyone wants to be cut, or is expecting to be cut, unlike in Melee when the general consensus was characters like Pichu, Young Link, and to an extent Dr. Mario would probably be cut without much protest. So any way you look at it, if there are cuts from Brawl to SSB4, there will be some backlash.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Nintendo doesn't seem very offended by backlash, what about Roy and Mewtwo? It's inevitable that there will be some cuts, live with it, and the fact that PT is an excuse to rep three different pokemon for the price of one slot is a bargain.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Nintendo doesn't seem very offended by backlash, what about Roy and Mewtwo? It's inevitable that there will be some cuts, live with it, and the fact that PT is an excuse to rep three different pokemon for the price of one slot is a bargain.
I wasn't really referring to how Nintendo handled the backlash, more the Smash community, but we really don't know Nintendo and Sakurai's opinion on the Mewtwo and Roy backlash yet. They obviously weren't going to add them after the game already came out, so we'll find out how Nintendo responds to the backlash about the popular character that were cut based on if they return in SSB4.

They handled one of the only criticisms from Melee I can remember, which was the abundance of straight clones by cutting some and differentiating the others in Brawl. So obviously Sakurai listens to feedback from the community in some regards.

And there very well might be some cuts into Smash 4, but I would far from call it inevitable. I also wouldn't say that any specific character is commonly requested or expected to be cut. And lastly, I don't have any problems with the inclusion of Pokemon Trainer (other than not calling him Red -- which is a personal preference), I thought it was a great way to get three very popular Pokemon playable. I just don't want to see any more Trainers, even if they have different Pokemon, I think it would take away from the existing Trainer's uniqueness.

YesIplayasJiggz

Smash Rookie
I really think it should be the trainer from Ruby/Sapphire, mostly because you should be able to do a pallet swap of the characters (like Wario) only it switches between boy and girl. Get rid of the fatigue system between the three pokemon, give us a choice to not have to play as all three, just one, so maybe I can play as Blaziken.

:phone:

jigglover

Smash Lord
I really think it should be the trainer from Ruby/Sapphire, mostly because you should be able to do a pallet swap of the characters (like Wario) only it switches between boy and girl. Get rid of the fatigue system between the three pokemon, give us a choice to not have to play as all three, just one, so maybe I can play as Blaziken.
Playing only as Blaziken would take away from the uniqueness of the character and remove the point. If you want to have a boy/girl palette swap, then you can always play as Rui, couldn't you?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Playing only as Blaziken would take away from the uniqueness of the character and remove the point. If you want to have a boy/girl palette swap, then you can always play as Rui, couldn't you?
Zelda and Sheik don't have a fatigue system, so you can only play as one if you want, yet their uniqueness and point still remain. I don't advocate for a Hoenn trainer, but removing the fatigue system for any Pokemon Trainer would only benefit the character.

Plus a Rui/Wes palette swap makes very little sense. They're totally different characters, unlike Wario's palette swap or a potential Pokemon Trainer's palette swap (as even if it did have a boy/girl swap, they would still be the Pokemon Trainer). Rui isn't Wes, swapping models wouldn't make sense.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Plus a Rui/Wes palette swap makes very little sense. They're totally different characters, unlike Wario's palette swap or a potential Pokemon Trainer's palette swap (as even if it did have a boy/girl swap, they would still be the Pokemon Trainer). Rui isn't Wes, swapping models wouldn't make sense.
I know, but he wanted a Brendan/May palette swap, which would make little sense, I just threw it in there so that it doesn't fall behind hoenn trainer.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I know, but he wanted a Brendan/May palette swap, which would make little sense, I just threw it in there so that it doesn't fall behind hoenn trainer.
Yes, but like I said, knowing Sakurai if Brendan/May got in they would either be referred to as Pokemon Trainer (if the original somehow gets cut) or more likely Hoenn Trainer. As both Brendan and May are the Hoenn Trainer, a palette swap (or rather model swap) between them would still make much more sense than a swap between two characters that play different roles (one the main playable character and one a supporting NPC), and would have different names in Smash. Not to mention Rui doesn't use any Pokemon. It would be like swapping Ness for Paula (not counting that Paula is the character that actually uses most of Ness's attacks in the game), it wouldn't make any sense.

Basically what it comes down to is Brendan is the Hoenn Trainer, and May is the Hoenn Trainer, but while Wes is Wes, Rui isn't Wes.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yeah, Brandon and May interchanging wouldn't matter since you don't play as them anyway. They are just a background image thing. Plus they are the same "character" anyway

They are a projection of "you"

Edit: In my case, I project myself into the game as a preteen girl in a miniskirt

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly I think the female trainers on average have better designs than the male ones. The only time I thought the male trainer had the better design and played as him (not counting games before there was a choice) was in HeartGold/SoulSilver (why didn't they bring back Kris!? :mad:). I think I'm going to pick the male trainer for B2/W2 though, I'm not a big fan of the female trainer.

I remember it was always weird when I would play the 1st/2nd gen games (except Crystal) and be walking around as a male trainer with my female name. :laugh:

And in an effort to be on topic, I thought Wes was a pretty cool looking trainer, moreso than Michael, but it sort of just made me wish the protagonists in the main games were older.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Honestly I think the female trainers on average have better designs than the male ones. The only time I thought the male trainer had the better design and played as him (not counting games before there was a choice) was in HeartGold/SoulSilver (why didn't they bring back Kris!? :mad:). I think I'm going to pick the male trainer for B2/W2 though, I'm not a big fan of the female trainer.

I remember it was always weird when I would play the 1st/2nd gen games (except Crystal) and be walking around as a male trainer with my female name. :laugh:

And in an effort to be on topic, I thought Wes was a pretty cool looking trainer, moreso than Michael, but it sort of just made me wish the protagonists in the main games were older.
I rarely use my real name in the Pokemon games, I just combined my 2 favourite pokemon's names... Celever if I'm playing a boy, and Snobi if I'm a girl. Simple.
I also wish that the main protagonists of Pokemon games were older, I think it should give you the option of child, teenager or adult along with the genders.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I think I'm going to pick the male trainer for B2/W2 though, I'm not a big fan of the female trainer.
Female's got quite a get-up, if I do say so, myself.

Also, B2/W2 Male is totally a fusion between Ruby and Black.

TOTALLY. I CALLED IT. COMFIRMED! :awesome:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I rarely use my real name in the Pokemon games, I just combined my 2 favourite pokemon's names... Celever if I'm playing a boy, and Snobi if I'm a girl. Simple.
I also wish that the main protagonists of Pokemon games were older, I think it should give you the option of child, teenager or adult along with the genders.
Yeah, I don't use my name anymore, I just was too uncreative back in Gen I/II to come up with anything else. :embarrass::laugh:

And I liked that the trainers were 16 in B/W, I was getting tired as playing as a ten-year-old who can catch legendaries. 16 is much more believable. :rolleyes:

I believe the protagonists in B2/W2 are also 16, but I don't have a source, can anybody confirm this?

Female's got quite a get-up, if I do say so, myself.
Even before she dressed up as a superhero, ninja, or royalty (among other things) I would agree it's quite a get up (I haven't been following the B2/W2 plot, so I have no idea why the protagonists are dressing up like this). Personally I still don't much like her design, but I'm interested to see if they will ever be able to come up with another protagonist that can out-match her hair. It still makes me laugh. :p

Also, Miror B. > Evice

Miror B. > Almost anything.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If there is any outfit I dislike more than the females in Black/ White 2 it's the males. I'm picking the female trainer

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
All this gender talk, and nobody made this joke yet?

Internet, I am dissapoint.

Powerstars

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so, Flame Wars aside, I think to distinguish Wes from PT, he should do something with his snag machine.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Okay, so, Flame Wars aside, I think to distinguish Wes from PT, he should do something with his snag machine.
What? Steal Pikachu? Smooooooth...

Tbh, I still think Micheal is a much better choice from Wes. He's just that awesome red-head with more swag. Idk...

jigglover

Smash Lord
What? Steal Pikachu? Smooooooth...

Tbh, I still think Micheal is a much better choice from Wes. He's just that awesome red-head with more swag. Idk...
Read the OP. Anyways... Colosseum got more popularity then XD, so logically Wes is the best choice.
What can he do with his snag machine in-battle though? I mean in a victory, loss, entrance pose, he certainly could, but in-battle seems strange, what I think it could do, actually, is have pokemon go behind Wes, he captures them with his snag machine, and throws them on the field to help his cause, just like maybe a Phanpy could cause a small tremor around him or something like that.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Read the OP. Anyways... Colosseum got more popularity then XD, so logically Wes is the best choice.
Donkey Kong was the very first Nintendo Character ever released in video games, so logically he should be the mascot.
Sonic can outspeed any character, so Eggman's machines shouldn't be able to chase him down with ease.
Mewtwo was planned for Brawl, so he should of came back.

Logically, these things SHOULD of happened.

See what I mean, here? You're saying that Sakurai automatically goes by what the fans' critics are. It's not popularity of a game that determines the strength of a character's decision. You have to count other factors before you assume a character is stronger than another.

Besides, they never got the spot at the time, and it's very unlikely they will now due to Pokemon Black 2 and White 2. Unless a new Shadow game is made, the snaggers are going to have a difficult time beating the new competition. I'm just saying that Micheal is a better option, my opinion.

As for his snag machine, it was used only to steal Pokemon. In Wes's heroic decision, to steal Shadow Pokemon. Like I said, is he going to steal Pikachu, or something? I mean, he COULD snag a random Pokemon walking around, yeah, but how much sense does that make? What you described sounded more like a Pokemon Ranger than a Snagger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom