• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U What Do You Think The Wii U Box Art Should Look Like?

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
I think I should be an epic looking battle between mario, link, kirby, and pikachu, fighting in a field, with master hand over shadowing them, with all the other starter characters observing the battle. Just Imagine it!

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
In order to decide what we think the new ones should look like, we should examine the previous ones to truly feel the art put on the boxes.

Super Smash Bros.

American:

Japanese:

Super Smash Bros. Melee:

American: WARNING LARGE

PAL:

Japanese:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl:

American:

Japanese:

And if those exclusive Smash For character artworks are anything to go by, I know the next box arts are going to look good.

Now, with that said, Mario, Link, and Pikachu MUST be present first and foremost on the cover. No exceptions.

Next, it has to be dynamic. Of course, having the characters just standing there isn't too much to look at. So I think the characters have to be fighting.

So if Link, Mario, and Pikachu are present on the cover, there has to be another character to join the fray, one who represents the newer characters in this game. Let's pick Mega Man. So Mega, Link, Mario, and Pikachu are all fighting on the cover. If we go the SSB64 route, we can have other characters dueling in the background.

However, I think the next goal is to highlight the colors. Wii U version should deal with deep blues, and the 3DS should deal with bright reds. Whether it be a tint, or the background color, it doesn't matter. But there needs to be a contrast between them. The version of the game is determined by the color, that's what we're going for.

And continuing on the idea of color, perhaps the fourth character should also change with the color and version. Wii U = Blue, therefore Mega Man. 3DS = Red, therefore Villager.

Now for the logo. All the American versions of the box arts typically put the logo near the top of the box. However, I'm very much digging on the Japanese Melee boxes, and feel the logo should go somewhere in the middle. That way, all the character artwork wraps around it. I want the customer's eyes to cascade all over that box. "Who's fighting on the top? Who's fighting on the bottom? What's that on the left side?" You get what I mean.

And that's pretty much what I think it will be like. If you've seen the character artwork that accompanied Villager or Rosalina & Luma then you've seen what I think the box style will be. It must look crisp, clean, it must contain bright colors, and needs to be Highly-Defined. Have you seen Mario Kart 8's box art. That is the definition of... DEFINITION.

Last edited:

Ragel

Smash Apprentice
Now, with that said, Mario, Link, and Pikachu MUST be present first and foremost on the cover. No exceptions.
I do agree here except that Samus, Fox and Kirby have all been present in some way on the box art from the beginning. To me it would feel weird to leave them out.

D.K. and Yoshi stayed strong in the Japanese art up until brawl, so that clearly doesn't make them "safe" in turns of returning for box art. That being said, Metroid SEEMS to be getting more attention now, so I feel Samus will be there.

As for Fox, he has been getting very little attention even so much that we know close to nothing about what Star Fox elements are even in the game. We have fox, a few returning Star Fox related items, but that's about it. Maybe Fox will be taken off the face of the game, but do to his smash popularity, I highly doubt it.

Kirby is Kirby. He's Sakurai's pink fluffy friend, I can easily see him on the cover.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Just make it like Brawls Box but replace everyone except Kirby with Rosalina and its perfect.

I hope Rosalina is on it, and considering she was one of the earliest characters revealed I think she will be.

With Namco's artistic influence, it will probably be something akin to their Soul Calibur or Tekken cover arts, which would be fine with me.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
I really don't care what it looks like just as long as it makes me hyped to play the game.And by looking at the past games box art I'm sure it will look amazing.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
Villager standing on top of a pile of the corpses of everyone on the roster and Master Hand on top, hands on hips, sparkle in his eye, with lightning and a balloon with a present in the background. "Don't mess with Villager!" is graffitied over the logo in red.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
In order to decide what we think the new ones should look like, we should examine the previous ones to truly feel the art put on the boxes.

Super Smash Bros.

American:

Japanese:

Super Smash Bros. Melee:

PAL:

Japanese:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl:

American:

Japanese:

And if those exclusive Smash For character artworks are anything to go by, I know the next box arts are going to look good.

Next, it has to be dynamic. Of course, having the characters just standing there isn't too much to look at. So I think the characters have to be fighting.

So if Link, Mario, and Pikachu are present on the cover, there has to be another character to join the fray, one who represents the newer characters in this game. Let's pick Mega Man. So Mega, Link, Mario, and Pikachu are all fighting on the cover. If we go the SSB64 route, we can have other characters dueling in the background.

However, I think the next goal is to highlight the colors. Wii U version should deal with deep blues, and the 3DS should deal with bright reds. Whether it be a tint, or the background color, it doesn't matter. But there needs to be a contrast between them. The version of the game is determined by the color, that's what we're going for.

And continuing on the idea of color, perhaps the fourth character should also change with the color and version. Wii U = Blue, therefore Mega Man. 3DS = Red, therefore Villager.

Now for the logo. All the American versions of the box arts typically put the logo near the top of the box. However, I'm very much digging on the Japanese Melee boxes, and feel the logo should go somewhere in the middle. That way, all the character artwork wraps around it. I want the customer's eyes to cascade all over that box. "Who's fighting on the top? Who's fighting on the bottom? What's that on the left side?" You get what I mean.

And that's pretty much what I think it will be like. If you've seen the character artwork that accompanied Villager or Rosalina & Luma then you've seen what I think the box style will be. It must look crisp, clean, it must contain bright colors, and needs to be Highly-Defined. Have you seen Mario Kart 8's box art. That is the definition of... DEFINITION.
I like you're ideas, but I don't think they'd put a third party character on the cover (maybe on the back of the box, but what do I know?).

They tend to have the most iconic characters on the box, so looking at our list of newcomers, the one newcomer from a new franchise that would be best on the cover is between Villager and Little Mac for me. Neither of these characters has a ton of star power, though, and that's why I think they should make the box art like Brawl's with a whole bunch of characters with each other.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
I feel like Sonic should be on the front. He is a popular character so he should be a strong marketing tool.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
Is he? His own games don't seem to sell - I just can't see him helping to sell somebody else's if he can't sell his own.
His series has acheived over 80 million copies sold and he is well known outside of gaming communities.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I feel like Sonic should be on the front. He is a popular character so he should be a strong marketing tool.
no guest characters in the front of the cover... at most, in the back; putting them in the cover feels like a desperate appeal to make the consumer noticing the game. and besides everything, Nintendo is selling a Nintendo All-Star fighting game.

Last edited:

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
no guest characters in the front of the cover... at most, in the back; putting them in the cover feels like a desperate appeal to make the consumer noticing the game. and besides everything, Nintendo is selling a Nintendo All-Star fighting game.
Average consumers don't care about the Nintendo part. They care about the All-Star part. Most people don't know who owns Sonic so his inclusion would seem no more desperate then Mario's.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Average consumers don't care about the Nintendo part. They care about the All-Star part. Most people don't know who owns Sonic so his inclusion would seem no more desperate then Mario's.
Wut? .. Who buys Smash Bros. knows it is a Nintendo fighting game... any other character non-Nintendo is a bonus. Why Mario is as desperate as Sonic? He is the Nintendo's mascot,.. and the game has him since the beginning, and he's kinda the main star of this series as well, he's Nintendo's Ryu. lol. ... If the certain "average consumer" doesn't care about the Nintendo part, he's getting interested for less then 5% of the content of the game. :T

Last edited:

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
His series has acheived over 80 million copies sold and he is well known outside of gaming communities.
And his last game sold 600k in a year. It's sales were pretty poor - he may be an iconic character, but as far as a promotion goes, he's clearly far less saleable than he once was.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
Wut? .. Who buys Smash Bros. knows it is a Nintendo fighting game... any other character non-Nintendo is a bonus. Why Mario is as desperate as Sonic? He is the Nintendo's mascot,.. and the game has him since the beginning, and he's kinda the main star of this series as well, he's Nintendo's Ryu. lol. ... If the certain "average consumer" doesn't care about the Nintendo part, he's getting interested for less then 5% of the content of the game. :T
You've missed the point of my post.

Average people, not us, don't really know what Nintendo is. They may however know who Mario is or who Link is. They don't care about some company. They care about the characters they've seen in other games. To say Sonic is desperate is to say Mario is desperate because that statement has no credence.

What I'm trying to say is that Nintendo is not a thing to average consumers. However Mario, Sonic, and other mascots are recognizable and thus important.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218

Average people, not us, don't really know what Nintendo is. They may however know who Mario is or who Link is. They don't care about some company. They care about the characters they've seen in other games. To say Sonic is desperate is to say Mario is desperate because that statement has no credence.

What I'm trying to say is that Nintendo is not a thing to average consumers. However Mario, Sonic, and other mascots are recognizable and thus important.
Sonic is way to "try too hard",.. he's not part of the purpose of the game, he's there because he's a special guest, .. and because this, he shouldn't be in the front of the cover with the Nintendo characters.. that's it. You think was nice that Darth Vader and Yoda being in the front of the cover of SoulCalibur IV? Banjo & Kazooie in the box art of S&SASR in the Xbox360?... was terrible... seems that the company is trying to sell something that doesn't even means much in the game...

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes

This is just fiction pulled from nowhere to support your point. Nintendo is synonymous with video gaming. Most non-gaming adults will refer to videogame consoles or handhelds as Nintendo's or Gameboy's. Nintendo is the single most recognizable name in video gaming history and to state that anybody outside of gaming knows nothing of Nintendo is small minded and ridiculous. To those people, Nintendo IS video gaming. Your point is moot.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
This is just fiction pulled from nowhere to support your point. Nintendo is synonymous with video gaming. Most non-gaming adults will refer to videogame consoles or handhelds as Nintendo's or Gameboy's. Nintendo is the single most recognizable name in video gaming history and to state that anybody outside of gaming knows nothing of Nintendo is small minded and ridiculous. To those people, Nintendo IS video gaming. Your point is moot.
I agree. Nintendo is synonymous with gaming but gaming is not synonymous with Nintendo. Microsoft and Sony are far more recognizable brands associated with gaming.

My point is that most people don't know that Nintendo owns Mario or doesn't own Sonic. So Sonic fits just as well.

Anyway I don't like arguing so I won't be commenting on this thread anymore.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I really don't know. My best guess is a color scheme related to the logo, whether blue or opposite (red) to contrast. Either/or, I think a lot of Nintendo's mascots will all be going towards something (jumping at, etc) as opposed to standing around like a boss. Towards the same thing. I think it will be epic and look fierce. Like maybe all of them are coming from all angles towards the middle.... or something.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I never cared for fan made mock up box art simply because I'd rather not be over saturated with selection screen poses. It's enough that the same pose is on the website, character icons, selection screen, and even trophy base. Nothing against to the people who do the work, I know how much work goes into it and they do look nice for what they are.

As far as the box art goes, the art should be one cohesive piece rather than an amalgamation of art as it has been in previous titles. I feel that it should market that it is the Wii U version. So while I could see the 3DS box taking on a comic inspired set piece, the Wii U version should be a bright highly defined Brawl.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Sonic is way to "try too hard",.. he's not part of the purpose of the game, he's there because he's a special guest, .. and because this, he shouldn't be in the front of the cover with the Nintendo characters.. that's it. You think was nice that Darth Vader and Yoda being in the front of the cover of SoulCalibur IV? Banjo & Kazooie in the box art of S&SASR in the Xbox360?... was terrible... seems that the company is trying to sell something that doesn't even means much in the game...
I'm just gonna ask something...would you really miss the chance to have the mascots of three of gaming's biggest companies on the front cover of the next Smash?

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
I'm not very good at photoshop, and I know you guys don't really like characters just standing around, but I whipped this up in photoshop real quick.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I agree. Nintendo is synonymous with gaming but gaming is not synonymous with Nintendo. Microsoft and Sony are far more recognizable brands associated with gaming.

My point is that most people don't know that Nintendo owns Mario or doesn't own Sonic. So Sonic fits just as well.

You have no idea how incredibly wrong you are. Mario is literally on the top 5 most recognizable figures of all time (debating for number one). Almost every single person who knows Mario knows he is Nintendo as it was never any other way.

Also anybody over the age of 40 doesn't know what a Playstation or Xbox is, they just call them "Nintendo". Most extreme casuals (people who only play at other peoples house) who are ignorant about gaming also call consoles "Nintendos". Talk to your grandmother and see what she calls your consoles.

Nintendo has 3-5 times the fame any other console manufacturer has in terms of gaming. Microsoft and Sony are more vastly recognized because of other endeavors, such as Windows and electronic devices

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I'm just gonna ask something...would you really miss the chance to have the mascots of three of gaming's biggest companies on the front cover of the next Smash?
yes; 'cause the other two mascots (three, hopefully) are guest characters, and not really the main purpose of the game; so, only Nintendo characters should stay in the front of the box; .... Brawl's box art was great, and still had some recognition for Snake and Sonic in the back of the cover.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
yes; 'cause the other two mascots (three, hopefully) are guest characters, and not really the main purpose of the game; so, only Nintendo characters should stay in the front of the box; .... Brawl's box art was great, and still had some recognition for Snake and Sonic in the back of the cover.
You do realize that Megaman's as important to Nintendo as a lot of characters on the roster? He's actually more important to Nintendo than most of them, same for Sonic.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Microsoft and Sony are far more recognizable brands associated with gaming.

What?? What you are saying is nonsense. And you made me lol at "I don't like arguing so I won't comment on this thread anymore" you are not gonna comment cause you know you are wrong and you ran out of nonsense

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I'm perturbed by all of this talk of Nintendo, PlayStation, and Xbox brand recognition. I guess maybe ten years ago, my grandparents called all video games "Nintendo" or "Game Boy", but nowadays, my experience has been that almost all non-gamers over 30 refer to any video game as an "Xbox" or "PS" (rarely "PlayStation", like they're trying to say PS3 or PSP, but only remember the first two letters in the acronym). I once had an economics professor use Xbox One and PS4 as examples of competition regarding market share, but forgot until she jogged her memory that Nintendo still exists, and even then, assumed the Wii was still their primary console until further reminding herself that the Wii U was a name she remembered, but wasn't familiar with.

I realize that my experience doesn't necessarily represent the world at large, but it's actually been pretty jarring. The way most non-gaming people I know talk, it's as if they think Nintendo has gone the way of Sega, and doesn't even make hardware anymore.

Anyway, on the main subject of this thread, I'd like to see box art closer to Melee's than to Brawl's, since I liked how Melee's (and 64's) box art actually had the characters...you know...fighting. But I do think the Brawl art was very nice and sleek. Preferably, SSB4's will be unlike any of the previous games', and be even better in its own way. Most anything's better than "stock renders pasted around the game's logo".

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I'm perturbed by all of this talk of Nintendo, PlayStation, and Xbox brand recognition. I guess maybe ten years ago, my grandparents called all video games "Nintendo" or "Game Boy", but nowadays, my experience has been that almost all non-gamers over 30 refer to any video game as an "Xbox" or "PS" (rarely "PlayStation", like they're trying to say PS3 or PSP, but only remember the first two letters in the acronym). I once had an economics professor use Xbox One and PS4 as examples of competition regarding market share, but forgot until she jogged her memory that Nintendo still exists, and even then, assumed the Wii was still their primary console until further reminding herself that the Wii U was a name she remembered, but wasn't familiar with.

I realize that my experience doesn't necessarily represent the world at large, but it's actually been pretty jarring. The way most non-gaming people I know talk, it's as if they think Nintendo has gone the way of Sega, and doesn't even make hardware anymore.

Anyway, on the main subject of this thread, I'd like to see box art closer to Melee's than to Brawl's, since I liked how Melee's (and 64's) box art actually had the characters...you know...fighting. But I do think the Brawl art was very nice and sleek. Preferably, SSB4's will be unlike any of the previous games', and be even better in its own way. Most anything's better than "stock renders pasted around the game's logo".

Normally nostalgia works backwards, where old stuff gets remembered, its why Nintendo is still the dominant force in terms of recognition for video games. Someone who honestly doesn't know about Nintendo, yet knows about Xbox probably is an extremely casual gamer (as in has no sense of the industry) and started gaming in the past 3-8 years years. (Even then, Wii was the vastly superior console in terms of sales, recognition and overall playtime, which still makes this point moot).

I'll give you my own experience. Being someone who is about to graduate from a "game development" career. Everytime I try to explain my career to someone who doesn't game (as in owns no console or PC game) they reply with: "Oh you are going to work for Nintendo?". While most people who are FPS gamers normally ask about Sony and EA (2 companies which I don't like to be honest). Neither of the 2 spectrums knows about companies like Riot or Blizzard and its hard explaining it to them because its normally just saying: "They make League of Legends" or "They make World of Warcraft, do you know it?". Anyways even though I am a hardcore gamer and have many hardcore gamer friends, guess which of the previous 2 is the answer I get the most? It's Nintendo. Why? Well because that's the answer I get from every single uncle, aunt, friend of my mom, parent of a friend or anyone over 40 basically. I also get that answer from most girls who are completely ignorant to gaming. Even my girlfriend who owned a PS1 and PS2 when she was young and has never owned a single Nintendo console, the first time we met and I told her what I was going to study she replied with: "Oh, like making Nintendo games?". Even the 4 maids my mom has back at her home, each and every one of them call every single electronic device I bring with me on my vacations, including the Blu-Ray player (that belongs to my mom), the PS3, the Wii, the DS, all of them are just "Nintendo" to them.

Basically everyone who is ignorant to gaming as a whole won't know what a Playstation is, but most of them will know what Nintendo is. Some of the most younger extreme casual gamers might not know about Nintendo, but some might not know about Playstation or Xbox. Everyone who can consider themselves a gamer knows about the 3 main consoles and PC gaming.

Last edited:

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Right, but how much of that 80 million was from the last, oh, 3 years, as opposed to other Nintendo characters?

Nintendo doesn't need to advertise Sonic. This game will sell on its own.

I really want to see Zelda on the cover this time. Frankly I'd love to see a battle between Zelda, Rosalina, Greninja, and maybe Luigi. I love the American cover for Melee, and I would be thrilled to see a similar throw back.

I'd also love a throw back to the original SSB game and it have the same art style!

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501

Super Smash Bros.

American:

Japanese:

Super Smash Bros. Melee:

PAL:

Japanese:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl:

American:

Japanese:

Why don't you work with gamexplain..

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
You do realize that Megaman's as important to Nintendo as a lot of characters on the roster? He's actually more important to Nintendo than most of them, same for Sonic.
Yep, at least Mega Man really is important for Nintendo (I'm not gonna agree with Sonic, sorry); but still, Nintendo not owns those IPs, and they're releasing a fighting game with Nintendo All-Stars, with few guests; which represent less than 5% of the content of the game.. putting them on the front of the boxart is like telling a lie for the public; --

like I used as example here; Banjo & Kazooie in the front of the cover of Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing on Xbox360; ... and worst, they changed the name for this version with the subtitle "With Banjo-Kazooie"; e-e... seems that the game is equally divided by SEGA and RareWare... and it's not, Banjo and Kazooie were guests; fortunately they didn't repeated the same mistake on S&ASR Transformed, .. Wreck-It Ralph and Danica Patrick appeared only on the back... that's the right thing to do when the game has guest characters; they're special, but not enough to be shown together with the main proposal of tha game.

---but well, that's my point of view, anyway.. Nintendo can screw the box if they want, nobody will prevent that. =P

Top Bottom