• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What type of Smasher are You?

Mittenkiss

Smash Cadet
Casual/Competitive defines me quite well.

I like to play for fun so people will know that I don't always play for competitiveness. I don't turn on the items though, I'm too lazy to do so, so they do it for me. Haha.

Other times, I am very competitive. I strive to get better.

BbLu

Smash Rookie
Who I'm playing with depends what kind of player I am.

Casual Smasher: Most of my friends are usually easy-going and don't take anything too seriously. While playing, they will often add in stipulations that make the game less competitive. Of course, this makes it hard to be competitive, so I just go along with it.

Competitive Smasher: When my serious friends do come over looking for an actual virtual fight, it comes by as no items, fair stage and fair fighting. We play to get better, and usually will play for hours at a time, take a break for sports, then go back to playing. We're usually able to put on a close hour-long match.

When I play online I also am a competitive smasher, I play to win, and if I don't, I always try to fix what I'm doing wrong.

Lukas

Smash Rookie
It varies. Occasionally, i don't pay 100% attention to the game and just let myself down, but when i'm focused and on the competitive side of my play, I can sometimes make the hardest tricks into clockwork. :)

Bomber7

Smash Hero
i guess i'd be considered casual. i enjoy the game as well. though i get mad at the fact that at least 95% of my matches online our turny*** zone. no items all final destination. i will openly admit i was once one. but then my friend opened my eyes to the fun of items when i played meele. now i play with items. my aditude was it took real skill to play without items. my opinion now is that it takes a greater skill to use items because they force you to cope items with your fighting style. the items make it different so its more of a challange. i find more fun/skill in for instance pounding the crub out of someone with a homerun bat. also items improve skill, awarness and overall fighting experience. for instance: you stand by exploding box, i am Toon Link. *pulls out bomb and throws at box* it goes boom and you go bye bye

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37
i guess i'd be considered casual. i enjoy the game as well. though i get mad at the fact that at least 95% of my matches online our turny*** zone. no items all final destination. i will openly admit i was once one. but then my friend opened my eyes to the fun of items when i played meele. now i play with items. my aditude was it took real skill to play without items. my opinion now is that it takes a greater skill to use items because they force you to cope items with your fighting style. the items make it different so its more of a challange. i find more fun/skill in for instance pounding the crub out of someone with a homerun bat. also items improve skill, awarness and overall fighting experience. for instance: you stand by exploding box, i am Toon Link. *pulls out bomb and throws at box* it goes boom and you go bye bye
Items, No thanks. is it skill if a starman just spawns right next to your opponent and makes them invincible, is it skill if a bob-omb spawns under you when you go to attack?

Items have too much randomness involved to require skill, though if you like to play with them thats fine. I like the occational Items match for a laugh but I wouldnt say its the best way to test skill.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
You do have a point, items are random, though you do have to admit they can be fun. Also I guess when it comes right down to it, items are optional. some use them and others don't, it's just the style of players. Though just so you know, i never did say there was such skill in the randomness of items. So yeah. point well taken. I was just throwing my ideas out on the table.

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
I quess I'd be considered as a Competitive-Casual..

Mostly just messing around but when I get bored of that, I start playing more seriously (or vice versa)..

Ranuu

Smash Rookie
I suppose I would be a Competitive Smasher. I would assume most people that took the time to register on these forums would be (or above). I love reading strategy guides on the characters, watching the youtube videos, and then trying out some of what I learned the next time I play Brawl (or, for a mixup, switching back to Melee).

I don't let it consume my life, though. I think I played two matches today xD

Also, I agree with Bomber7. Items can be really fun, and provide some new strategies. They can also teach you to be a bit more versatile and force you to adapt to situations. You wouldn't approach your opponent quite the same way if they were holding a ray gun.

B.U.S.

Smash Cadet
I'm competitive with a casual attitude.

Basically, I enjoy being challenged.

Pink-eye

Smash Apprentice
depends on my friends and I's mood, but i like to be competive so i can get better for tournements

when i play with items. i play with non cheap items, such as smashball (i main ZSS, thats why :D) pokeballs assist trophies etc. i like bumpers, and star rods etc.

sohel08

Smash Rookie
new smasher

if wave-dashing is out, if Marth is out, if Fox is nerfed, if there are no more original stages for target test, if the Brawl is not online, the Hardcore smasher will shrug and quickly move on. I know some may think that being hardcore is wining and nitpicking over the smallest details, but this is a misconception. The primary definition for “hardcore” is being “unswervingly committed”. This means, not matter what you’re sticking with Smash.

Casual Smasher: Most of my friends are usually easy-going and don't take anything too seriously. While playing, they will often add in stipulations that make the game less competitive. Of course, this makes it hard to be competitive, so I just go along with it.

I fall under this definition of hardcore. I’ve written literally hundreds of pages about smash. I have owned the game since day 1 on the N64. And I’m planning my college schedule light next semester so my academic career isn’t flushed. I’ve set aside money so that I’ll be sure to be able to afford Brawl when it hits. Plus, I have two reservations for the game just in case a delivery truck tips over, or one of my friends foolishly forgets to reserve a copy. This is what it means to be hardcore. Not necessary all the specifics, but simply being committed.

I can hear some of you saying, “But wait a minute. I thought you said you were a Pro smasher. How can you be a hardcore smasher too?” I’m so glad you asked.

Being a Casual/Competitive/Hardcore smasher is all about your attitude. It’s very possibly to be a Hardcore-Casual Smasher. And for all you competitive/pro smashers reading this, inside us all there is a little casual smasher sitting around just goofing of on pokefloats with items on high. It’s good to recognize that.

Notice how none of these definitions have anything to do with “items on or off” “final destination only” or “must play tiers.” It’s all about who each individual smasher is and the choices they make. Everyone is different. Respecting these differences is how we’ll all get along when Brawl rolls around.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
I would call my self a competitive smasher, I like playing at an advanced level and going to tournaments, but I'm new to the scene, so not a pro-smasher. In brawl that is, in melee I can barely wavedash or L-cancel.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
I'm a mix of Casual-Competitive, I always look for AT's to improve my game when I'm training against CPUs.

MisFate

Smash Rookie
On 1v1s I would be a competitive smasher. I like to gauge my skill level against my friends and such =]
When it's a free for all, I go with any character and do my best through all the chaos X3

Sgt. Baker

Smash Ace
I'm a mix between a competitative smasher and a laid-back smasher. But right now, I want to improve my game by playing many differnt types of people. Only with my friends will I be a spamming/camping smasher just to annoy them :lick: haha.

HyperLucario22

Smash Rookie
I'm Competitive, I'm always striving to get better, but I don't go to Tourneys. Mainly because of my location, and the fact that I have overprotective parents. So most of my time is spent playing people online, beating lvl 9 computers, and once in a while, I'll compete in an Online Tourney.

Shadow_Metroid

Smash Rookie
I'm definitely a pro/hard-core/casual smasher. When I play, I play at a skill level depending on my foe's skill level. I wouldn't go crazy on a person who just started, I would have fun and let him/her through me about, then we'd go on a huge stage and only use pokéballs and set it to high :-)

When I play a veteran, I play hard-core on them, if not they'll "hard-core" all over me xD
When SSBB came out, I was a little disappointed that some of my favorite characters were removed (Eg.; Roy), but I quickly got over it. I used Pit & Marth as a replacement, and I was excited when I first tried Wolf. So excited that I mained him. I always loved to use Samus since N64, and I'll always continue using her mostly.

This thread was exciting to read, I agree completely.

Roxa

Smash Rookie
I'd say I'm a Competitive smasher. All of my friends and I play 1v1s without items but we don't really care about tiers or restrict ourselves to Final Destination. I only really avoid huge stages that just can't be enjoyable to play on. I also go to tournaments on some occasions. However, I do have a casual side. I don't mind playing with items on the bad stages with my casual friends because it's no fun to own the type of person who isn't trying to be competitive or get better, items give them a chance.

skylark

Smash Rookie
In 1v1 I am very competitive and try to improve myself.
In free for all I just mess around and try to survive the craziness.

SUB_ZERO

Smash Apprentice
Competitive, I use my favourite characters from games, but also use ones that i just enjoy. I also try to avoid the tier list but in the end i always come crawling back to it. And i try not to use more than one High/Uber tier, just for the sake of not looking nooby lol.

Against friends, I go all out. No matter who, how good they are or how friendly it should be. Just out to win :p

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I'm a mixture of Competitive and Casual. I enjoy winning and I'm always trying to get better but because of where I live and my lifestyle (which I'm happy with) I can't compete in tournaments (oh well :laugh:). I admit I do a lot more FD no items matches but when theres more than 1 person I'm playing against then I like letting all hell break loose :) And I don't care what tier my character is so long as I enjoy playing with them

sohel08

Smash Rookie
What good type

Hardcore music is hard to listen to. Hardcore skydivers are few. The term elicits grittiness, danger and exclusiveness, something most people enjoy watching (maybe) but dare not participate in. A hardcore gamer, by this definition, isn’t someone who enjoys playing games other than Nintendogs. A hardcore gamer is the dedicated DDR sprinter, the competitive Tetris architect, and the professional Starcraft general. Throw in modding communities, tournament communities, hello kitty communities, and anyone who has ever cosplayed.

Dyxnar14

Smash Apprentice
Im casual most of the time but when a tourney comes up, I start to practice alot. Though when I'm playing Practice matches of people I play for the first time, I have to play competitivily.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I would say hardcore. I love smash too much to give it up. I like the way the game plays. It's amazing. It's revolutionary. SMASH FOREVER! I play other games, but smash is my favorite :p

Top Bottom