• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What type of Smasher are You?

SilentDrifterZ

Smash Ace
Casual player.

I seriously don't understand where people find the time to come up with little tricks/cheats to take advantage of others and take all the fun out of Smash. My skills in Smash is that of casual play anyway, but I'm up to improving my gameplay skills.

Maybe with Brawl, I might go pro.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
I'm both...
a hardcore gamer isn't someone who finds the easy way out and tries to exploit game glitches...as with wavedashing..

it's to be bale to use your skill the best with the balanced characters given

I agree that some stages and items in melee were really annoying, but being able to fight with all items on is more of a job than being a whimp and choosing a flat stage and turning off all items and choosing the best wavedasher out there...thus..

brawl's gameplay was slowed down just a bit and items are less anoying and more usefull, less annoying stages, but you can build you own...and they took out the shield reflecting, wich makes characters like fox and Zelda etc unique once more..and the glitch for wavedashing is out

CHUK

Smash Ace
I'm both...
a hardcore gamer isn't someone who finds the easy way out and tries to exploit game glitches...as with wavedashing..

it's to be bale to use your skill the best with the balanced characters given

I agree that some stages and items in melee were really annoying, but being able to fight with all items on is more of a job than being a whimp and choosing a flat stage and turning off all items and choosing the best wavedasher out there...thus..

brawl's gameplay was slowed down just a bit and items are less anoying and more usefull, less annoying stages, but you can build you own...and they took out the shield reflecting, wich makes characters like fox and Zelda etc unique once more..and the glitch for wavedashing is out
You are a moron.

RyuuAqua

Smash Rookie
I think I'm Casual-Competitive. I'm willing to enjoy playing with friends and have fun, but I try to bring as much skill and technique as I can with me. I consider Smash with items & banned stages to be great fun, but a different game altogether from no-item legal stage Smash.

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
Finally a definition that makes sense, there's no need for the friction I've seen when scanning threads on other sites. I'm probably a casual/competitive/hardcore mix- I play to have fun, and as long as I'm improving my game (hence beginning to work on advanced techniques), I couldn't care less about winning. Glad someone's finally pointed out that the attitudes aren't incompatible, hope more people realize that there isn't a "right" way to play this game.

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
competitive/hardcore probably. Constantly playing, constantly talking about, constantly learning. Since the first day of the original 64 launch, been extremely enthusiastic(aside from a 2-year-ish span from 2003-2005 where i almost completely stopped playing). It is that span that forces me to label myself a half-step below completely hardcore. I have gone out of state for tournaments, but i doubt i'm well-known enough to call myself a pro.(average placing top 25% in *non-local* tournaments.) Hope to bump myself up to full pro once brawl is released though, planning on doing some serious tournament play for the new generation.

GIJOE

Smash Rookie
Competive/Hardcore Smasher

Hey, im a one of those 1000+ hours of gameplay but i love a challange. ill play the same people till we subconsciecely mirror each other. Although, i say bring it on to anyone who says they can beat me. any stage, any character, and rules. ill beat you on your home turf or be humbled by your greatness, just dont slack cause im coming for more till i beat you consecitivly.
ps. sorry for the lack of spelling

Mr Derp

Smash Rookie
I guess I am a Casual Competivie player. Because I like to play it for the fun with friends. And it doesn't matter if they are good or not. Since I am also not that good. But when we play I do like to get better and win. So I am in between.

That is also what I always do when the kids in South Park can't choose between yellow or white stuff. I just give them a special soup mix. :)

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Casual-Hardcore, definitely. :p I love playing for the fun of it, even if I have noone to play with. (me vs 3 lvl 9 comps? Why not?)

lil_smash

Smash Rookie
definitely casual/hardcore
I love the series and will never stop playing the games, but i don't regularly play against anyone human

The Drizzle

Smash Cadet
Casual/Non. I rarely play anymore, but I'll probably change that with Brawl. Usual play with group of about 10 or so when everyones there though, and only been to like 1 or 2 tourneys.

NRSm@sh

Smash Rookie
Between Time n Space, training to become stronger
I m Competitive/Hardcore, i love to compete at anything, that is just my nature, and as far as being hardcore i have had smash since N64 and became the best in my family, then my best friend couldnt beat me, and when melee came out in my jr. high years i couldnt have been beatin, and now me and my manz Skyace89 play alot, hes more advanced then me, but thats because i have a lot less time to play with work school and other side ventures that are going on, but i consider myself hardcore for the simple fact that i would buy brawl just to see if the game progressed and the new characters, do i think that some people take this way 2 seriously yea, but its like that with every aspect of life, and every is entitled to do what pleases them, just dont try and bring me down becuase i am not the same

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
woot.
im h4rdc0r3
jks

proberly a casual player though.
i love the funness.
in meelee i loved being zelda/shiek, and teleporting and attacking.
so fun.
==]

cant wait for brawl
i wont be competitive :D

Sheik_Pwns

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aluran
3DS FC
0834-1378-6308
Well i guess im a Competetive-Hardcore Smasher.
Its hard livning in miami with no one else to play against i mean really i have been looking for years i really wanna be able to boost my skills but with brawl comiong out who knows Ken Hoang may end up owning LOL .

fluffy1021

Smash Apprentice
im casual/hardcore. not because im good or anything, because im TERRIBLE cpmpared to most of you here. but because smash is fun no matter what kind ofp layer you are. excellent explanation by tyhe way kirbykid.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I'd say I'm a casual smasher and a hardcore smasher because:

1. Final Destination with not items? That's boring! No offense, but it's the unpredictability of SSB that gives it its charm.

2. Being a Nintendork, and seeing as SSB is my favorite series of all time, I'll pretty much stick with it no matter what.

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
casual-competitive / hardcore.

I merged the two because there are aspects of both casual and competitive I find within me. I play the game cause it's fun, and I do enjoy adapting to stages and items and all these various elements. At the same time, I always want to improve my game on all fronts, and I do look for all ways to do so, and practice them. I like 1v1 on Final Destination with no items, but it isn't all that I can play. I love it all. You could call me just plain greedy (lol) or casual-competitive.

And I'm hardcore. Been a gamer for a loooong time, SSB is an amazing series, definitely playing it. Period.

the gatherer

Smash Rookie
I'm casual with low-medium skill but my rival is good enough to be high pro, if it means anything (probably doesn't) he beat viewtiful joe on the hardest skill level so in terms of a gamers he would be anywhere from lower highest to highest highest. I never had melee but i loved the game so I'm going to get a wii and practice all the time to see if i can even give him a challenge. Melee was my personal favorite and i even have the original on my comp. I hope to be able to match up with at least the bottom rung of the competitive scene but i doubt ill play in tourneys.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
I´d say I´m a Casual-Competitive, but with some Hardcore mixed in the pot. I usually play with my sister without items, and I´m trying to learn how to use advanced techs in the actual battle (still pretty new with those :)) But I also enjoy playing with my friends, all items on or with some special rules. Team battles are also very amusing, when you have four players with almost the same skill level.

And finally, the hardcore part. It isn´t gonna take too long for brawl to find its way into my game shelf after it´s released in Finland. ;)

flknpnch

Smash Cadet
kirbykid, you are amazingly awesomely supremely obsessed. i'm afraid i don't have quite the time to write smash novels like you do, but keep it up. oy. i don't even have time to read your novels

flknpnch

Smash Cadet
my friends and i used to have a rule against edge guarding, but we decided that with online play, if we didn't practice edge guarding, we would get wussed... so we bombed the rule. it kinda made the game more fun tho...

Sophos

Smash Cadet
I'm an amateur more than anything, that's a certainty, though I am beginning to attend a local tourney or two.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
I'm Casual and Hardcore. Sounds like they don't go together, but by those descriptions, they do.

I play Smash for fun. I'd enter competitions for fun and lose very quickly to people who manipulate physics and have played wayyy more intensely, but I'd still have fun, because I don't mind losing, as long as it's fun, and my competitors had fun beating me.

I'd never abandon Smash, because this series makes a leap every time. It's genius.

(Personally, I don't own the first game, but I did pretty much clear it all on continuous rentals.)

AjaniKirB

Smash Rookie
I always want to get better, nowadays. Once I entered a tournament (that was when I didn't really play very much), with 4 way battles, and I got bored and sat at the bottom of Hyrule temple. Time ran out. Since I lost a couple of lives, I wasn't in the sudden death. Now I can beat three level 9s teamed up against me.

sh1nebl1nd

Smash Rookie

WhiteDragon

Smash Cadet
Incredibly well thought-out and articulated explanation KK! I've been trying to figure out a way to explain these things to my uber-competitive friend who can't seem to accept that I get BORED when you don't mix the game up every once in a while.

I'd consider myself to be casual-hardcore, although my definition of keeping things fun in the casual sense is constantly adding new techniques to my play style, hence I'm also competitive.

ODIN787

Smash Journeyman
man im glad i happend to see this post ,I admire the way you expressed your feelings about the type of smashers there are and to make it even better your post can also fit on any other game not just smash and thats a plus. I take my hat off to you *bows* ,for me im the hardcore/casual smasher . i love playing with items but i also like the 1 on 1 fights with no items ,im not going to say i only play on final destination cause it does not matter if you know how to deal with every level ,i only do it if my opponent wants to ,but basically i play smash for the main reason it was made : to have fun .so yea im a Hardcore/casual smasher

Cerulean_Charizard

Smash Cadet
I am most definately a hardcore-casual. Sometimes I put items on high and sometimes I don't use them at all. I try to play as all the characters from time to time for variety. I can play on all stages, with the exception of Icicle Mountain, fighting any number of enemies.

I respect competitives. They have mad skills and I feel inspired to get better for Brawl my own different way then the usual.

Everyone plays in a unique way which is what I love about Smash (and Pokemon too but that's not relevant here). All in all, I play for fun, because that's what games are really about!

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Going by the outlines on the orignal post, I'm Hardcore/Competitive, but definitely not pro and I hate using the term "casual" because I never play by the literal meaning of the term. If I lose, I'm pissed. I'll openly dissect what I just did like I'm a football announcer, then work hard to change it by next game. When I lose, or when I win, I know exactly why because I analyze way too much- for me, that's fun. :)

But I'm also hardcore, simply because I will never put the game down lol

AjaniKirB

Smash Rookie
Ya, its kind of obvious. I know which characters are in the game, and which aren't, and Mewtwo is not in Brawl.

Warp Star Lover

Smash Cadet
I'm a casual gamer, meaning I don't try to master games, I just try to complete them. And that's why I'm playing Melee. To complete it. Then I'll quit it and attempt to complete another game. And so on.

Top Bottom