• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your definition of cheap?

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
what is your definition of a foe being "cheap"

some say its when you're ike and you use wifi lag to win

others say camping is cheap

then there's CGs and stuff...

feel free to share your opinion and definition of "cheap"

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
I hate when you go online and you're in a FFA and theres an ike that just waits at the edge till someone with 60+ damage gets knocked there...instant KO

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Only one thing I feel cheated that they won't fix glitches like chaingrabs through updates

Leoneri

Smash Ace
Meh, I don't really believe in cheapness too much. If anything I'd have to say chain grabs that are inescapable until a certain amount of damage and such. But even those can be avoided if you play correctly. There is no foolproof strategy, there is some kind of counter to everything.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
The game itself is a huge ball of cheap. Airdodging out of combos is cheap against 75% of the cast. Edgeguarding is cheap against the majority of the cast. Grabbing is cheap for those with good throws/throw-combos/chaingrabs. Projectiles are cheap if you can spam them well.

If you want a balanced game devoid of much cheapness, Brawl is not the game for you.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
A definition of cheap is "not costing much".

In other words, if a certain character doesn't take too much effort to win with in general, it is generally a cheap character, seeing as it doesn't cost much to win with it.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
spamming effectively i dont mind. but really just sitting there with ur eyes closed using pits arrows or pikas thunder. soo dumb. worst part is chaingrabing on a wall

hey u gota do what u gota do tho

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
"Cheap" is anything that violates an arbitrary and imaginary honor code that exists solely in the mind of a player.

"Cheapness" is a meaningless attribute, play to win.

SmashAura4

Smash Apprentice
There's only one thing I have a problem with in Melee and Brawl: Edgehogging!!

If you wanna be a b***h and win that bad, then I don't want anything to do with you!

IceAge

Smash Cadet
"Cheap" is anything that violates an arbitrary and imaginary honor code that exists solely in the mind of a player.

"Cheapness" is a meaningless attribute, play to win.
I agree wholeheartedly. I'm definatly going to sig this on another forum.

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
Edgehogging works like 10% of the time in Brawl compared to Melee, so I guess you don't have that problem in Brawl that much anymore.

Anyways, why is edgehogging cheap compared to normal tactics of playing to win? You would rather have a marth standing at the edge and fsmashing than a character simply hanging on the edge? I myself consider the edge game to be an integral part of smash. I think it was in a Luigi combo video, but there's one clip where a doc is trying to edgehog the luigi, and the two end up spending about 4 long seconds fighting in the air, before the luigi finally manages to get onto the edge and the doc dies, so the edge game can actually be very exciting. The way I see it, edgehogging, edgeguarding, etc. are integral parts of the game's strategy.

On topic: I'm more of the "Play to win" mindset, so while I think some techniques are overly abused, I don't consider them cheap. Cheap is only glitches that make it impossible for the other person to win (or after a certain point, at least). For example, the Jigglypuff edge infinite sleep technique, or fox laserspamming a reflector/PSI magnet, so that the other character is stuck in there for the rest of the match (both of those are in Melee, of course). I also consider the ICs freeze glitch cheap to use in a match (who doesn't?!?!).

SmashAura4

Smash Apprentice
I just find edgehogging a little unorhtodox to my fighting style. I makes the player seem like they'll do anything to win, and winning is not the only thing that matters y'know.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
I guess you could say I play to win, because I try to win when I can, and when I lose I try to make sure I don't the next time. But there's playing to win, and playing to win at any cost. There's dudes that'll abuse everything possible, from maining top tier to abusing infinites to even unplugging the other guy's controller just to say they won. Those guys can get cheap.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I just find edgehogging a little unorhtodox to my fighting style. I makes the player seem like they'll do anything to win, and winning is not the only thing that matters y'know.
Winning is not all that matters, but when you're competing, why should you not do everything within the rules to win?

If the opponent considers something within the rules as "bad", then it subtracts from the depth of the game. In general, for a video game, the rules are what is programmed into the game.

Anything beyond that should fit into these categories, because otherwise it subtracts from the depth of the game.

I guess you could say I play to win, because I try to win when I can, and when I lose I try to make sure I don't the next time. But there's playing to win, and playing to win at any cost. There's dudes that'll abuse everything possible, from maining top tier to abusing infinites to even unplugging the other guy's controller just to say they won. Those guys can get cheap.
So what if a person wants to main top tier? So what if a person is using infinites? Unless it's bannable (again, Sirlin's criteria), I see no reason to have an issue with infinites, period.

Unplugging another person's controller, well a ban is discrete, enforceable, and warranted for any video game. It's one of those things, along with turning off the game system that has been effectively banned for every multiplayer game, forever. If your opponent does that, he/she loses, period.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Cheap? Something that, once in it, it is impossible to stop it from happening. CG are cheap, I think, because they don't take skill to use.

cheap: using a move that you opponent can't stop, but something that also doesn't take skill to use.

CGs are cheap (if used to their potential. Some idiots really don't know how to properly use it). Something like a character, Snake or Metaknight, is what I call semi-cheap. They're overpowered, but they're not full blown cheap.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
camping and spamming is the only thing that really gets to me...
Cheap? Something that, once in it, it is impossible to stop it from happening. CG are cheap, I think, because they don't take skill to use.

cheap: using a move that you opponent can't stop, but something that also doesn't take skill to use.

CGs are cheap (if used to their potential. Some idiots really don't know how to properly use it). Something like a character, Snake or Metaknight, is what I call semi-cheap. They're overpowered, but they're not full blown cheap.
metaknight
Scrub mentality, why should other players hold on to your arbitrary honor system?

If you're serious Ban3, and your icon reflects your main, you have no excuse. DK kills metaknight.

Wölf

Smash Apprentice
There's no such thing as a cheap player. There are only players who can't beat spammers because they are simple-minded and can't devise a strategy to beat the spam.

Prove me wrong.

Top Bottom