• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When Ike fights with his Friends: 2 VS 2 Battles. Current Discussion - LUCARIO

Blad01

Smash Lord
Sorry, Blad, but I'm going to have to contradict you here. The problem is that while Sonic can have good and bad characters to team up with, any team including Sonic is never going to be above mediocre. Sonic just gets in the way far too much.
Lol, sorry, i just wanted to counterbalance what Arturito was saying ^^'

I think that Sonic is way better in teams that in 1vs1 though, but the problem is that there are always better choices... :s

•Col•

Smash Champion
Can someone tell me what makes Sonic so good in teams...? >_>

I really don't see it. I think he does even worse than in singles. D:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Sonic has the ability to change opponents VERY fast and can easily go out and help his partner getting combo'd or combo with him. Other than that he has nothing. Maybe do ground spring > Ike Uair for lulz. Sonic can dthrow into Ike's f/usmash

There will always be a better choice. MK, Snake, and G&W are the the best in teams. G&W being the best.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
I agree with Arturito’s argument, Ike and Sonic isn’t a good team. Ike needs someone who doesn’t need to be mobile to survive and has a good grab to throw opponents at Ike’s smashes. I think Olimar would do great with Ike.

comboking

Smash Master
I wasn't plagerizing anything I didn't take any credit from ShadoFiend. Very situation but you have to keep your options open you know what I mean.

plagiarism
noun1. a piece of writing that has been copied from someone else and is presented as being your own work 2. the act of plagiarizing; taking someone's words or ideas as if they were your own

I did not take credit

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I agree with Arturito’s argument, Ike and Sonic isn’t a good team. Ike needs someone who doesn’t need to be mobile to survive and has a good grab to throw opponents at Ike’s smashes. I think Olimar would do great with Ike.
I've done that team before. Olimar makes a great life tank, however, this is team GIMPtastic. Both of you have horrid recoveries, and if both of you are off stage in the same place, most likely one of you will kill the other from recovering. Also, mobility isn't a bad thing, its also good for getting out of Ike's way.

Also, teams are best won by how in sync the players are. Characters don't really factor doubles too much, they only factor what the team can do.

actmasterkings

Smash Cadet
ike and ganon are a nuscience. they will piss you off because it ony takes 6 good hits to kill you. they are both slow and take up space so it is good to have them on teams

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
ike and ganon are a nuscience. they will piss you off because it ony takes 6 good hits to kill you. they are both slow and take up space so it is good to have them on teams

SOMEBODY didn't read the topic title at full length. Or the first post. At all.

And I'm waiting for input form the Sonic Boards. I posted in thieir 2 on 2 topic.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
I've done that team before. Olimar makes a great life tank, however, this is team GIMPtastic. Both of you have horrid recoveries, and if both of you are off stage in the same place, most likely one of you will kill the other from recovering. Also, mobility isn't a bad thing, its also good for getting out of Ike's way.
Sure Ussi, I didn’t say that mobility something bad, I said that it is bad being dependent on it. Especially with Ike on your team. Olimar may have a bad recovery, but he can turtle very well, leaving you with lots of space and diminished risk of hitting one another. His great grab game also goes very well with Ike’s smashes. And while both having to recover from the same side of the stage may have disastrous results, it shouldn’t be happening quite often.

Also, gimp kills occur less often in 2 vs. 2. A team that works so well should be surviving and killing much more. Well… At least on paper, as you’ve said, sync is important.

P.S.: Go update your stage discussion Ussi, now!

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Sure Ussi, I didn’t say that mobility something bad, I said that it is bad being dependent on it. Especially with Ike on your team. Olimar may have a bad recovery, but he can turtle very well, leaving you with lots of space and diminished risk of hitting one another. His great grab game also goes very well with Ike’s smashes. And while both having to recover from the same side of the stage may have disastrous results, it shouldn’t be happening quite often.

Also, gimp kills occur less often in 2 vs. 2. A team that works so well should be surviving and killing much more. Well… At least on paper, as you’ve said, sync is important.
I also thought Olimar's grabs would compliment Ike's smashes at one point. Then I realized we are getting gimped to easily. Getting gimped in doubles may be harder but it's still doable. Both Olimar and Ike lack mobility meaning they can't rush to help their partner either. Olimar needs a simple edge hog which is not hard to do cause of ledge invincibility to protect you from the other guy. However, this team can work, its just a tougher learning curve of knowing when to come aid your partner than other teams.

Then again me and my partner were not the that synced, and it was friendlies. You'd be surprise how much we'd gimp each other though.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
This team sure has its flaws, but they complement one another very well. King DeDeDe does fare better with Ike, but that something obvious seeing his position at the tier list.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Sync is probably bigger than anything else. My partner uses PT and we do great together, we have like 7 team combos that consist of just throws to some special lol. Or maybe PT is the best Ike partner after all that character is based on team work =P

I don't see G&W being a good teammate for Ike.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I actually had a great success in a small teams tourney (Nothing big at all, just some competent players from school) with Ike and Pit.

Pit's general nature of avoiding combat and having a ranged projectile, in addition to having fast moves and the ability to easily gimp compliment Ike very well. In addition, he can kill for himself if he needs to with his Fsmash and Bair. His distracting nature allows Ike to capitalize on the enemy. In addition to that, a great Pit will be able to save you if you Aether too far away, actually.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
G&W doesn't compliment Ike. G&W is a killer, Ike is a killer. They both tend to get in the way of each other. however, this team kills mad early, and if G&W is actually good and knows how to space and combo, this team will work. G&W is the best teams character for a reason, he can combo, kill, and save people. His only weakness is his weight.

Pit/Ike.... -shutters- they way too many Pit x Ike drawings on devinart ~_~

Joshkip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Joshkip
3DS FC
0447-5552-4282
i've done the sonic and ike matchup before

it works

sonic does compliment ike well he lures other characters into ikes attacks so that ike has a better chance of hitting.

Ta-kun the Pyro

Smash Cadet
i've done the sonic and ike matchup before

it works

sonic does compliment ike well he lures other characters into ikes attacks so that ike has a better chance of hitting.
I always thought that's how a Sonic/Ike team would work, I just never got the chance to try it

Palpi

Smash Hero
That is probably how it works in perfect land with the absence of intelligence, but I am afraid it is a wee bit more complicated than flat out baiting.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ya, I've been sick the last little while, and didn't feel like doing anything that required thinking. Like typing this up. >_> And I have an SAT test on Saturday........any more arguments?

•Col•

Smash Champion
Who's acting stupid right now?

Show me Joshkip!!! *points to board* DINGDINGDINGDINGDING! 63 Points.

I still fail to see why anyone would think Sonic would be a good team member. Maybe if team attack was off. *shrugs* :/

•Col•

Smash Champion
^What I was wondering.

We've been on Sonic for over 2 weeks now. ;-;

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
How long has this same discussion been going? Needs someone better than Sonic pls. Just change it to MK and finish it in less than a day.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I will be writing the write-up on the weekend after my SAT test. (hate those things). I have a character that I have in mind, but I need to check some things on other sites right now before I put it up.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Believe it or not, Sonic is the ultimate stock tank in teams. Also, with sonic having a set knockback Dthrow that can work well with throwing an opponent into Ike's Fsmash of doom (in theory of course)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Believe it or not, Sonic is the ultimate stock tank in teams. Also, with sonic having a set knockback Dthrow that can work well with throwing an opponent into Ike's Fsmash of doom (in theory of course)
Just about anyone can knock someone into another's move. Just Ike's move always kill :laugh: What I love most, is killing both people with fsmash. And i've done it alot too

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
kinser sonic is a horrible character idk what you are saying

Sonic imo is a bad partner for ike, he gets in the way alot and he is too contrasted with ike to even work

Ike slow and strong high knock back

Sonic fast and weak with combo knockback

they hardly work well together

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Sonic does a good job running to stop someone from gimping Ike. He can run from the other side of the stage and keep anyone occupied while Ike tried to recover.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I've realized that Sonic's assistance can be quantified in a mathematical fashion.

Hypothetically:

Ike + Teammate = Two Enemies [This is a fair enough opener since Ike quite well in doubles]

Therefore, we'd assume that:

Ike + Sonic = Two Enemies

However, we know that Sonic brings nothing to the team that anyone else can't do better, making his value essentially zero.

The next statement then is:

Ike + 0 = Two Enemies

But we know that:

Ike =/=Two Enemies

Short story short this ends up with 2 v 1 = Loss for 1 => Sonic as a teammate is a loss for Ike.

Don't bother analyzing it, there's probably 5 trillion fallacies in there. The point is that Sonic is a pretty terrible teammate (And not much better off as a standalone character :)).

Top Bottom