• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where you AGT? The Official Toon Link General Discussion/ Video Thread!

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Does anyone else have any videos they wanna share? =] This guy needs more footage in general haha, I promise to be good in future and upload more myself! (Lots more).

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
What's up guys??!!!!
When did the site get back to normal?
I've been afraid to check since last time I tried, my computer froze, and I had to quickly shut it down in case it got attacked.

Jolteon

Hey dude. If you're referring to the DDOS attacks they finished a while back, otherwise I'm not really sure haha.

D

Deleted member

arrows can gimp spacies and that kind of stuff but bombs and boomerangs are better in most scenarios.

Jolteon

In comparison to boomerang, arrows have more range when charged and also have significantly quicker start-up time. So the only two times I really end up using them is a) to hit someone recovering stage height from far away b) to continue a combo from a combo reset when rang is too slow to hit them. Bombs/rang are more useful overall and arrows are pretty niche, so it's hard to know when to use them, but they aren't useless.

Tesla_Coil

Smash Cadet
Hello fellow Toon Link enthusiasts! I'm Tesla Coil and I'm new to the P:M scene (and the tournament scene). This past Sunday I competed in my fourth tourney, but it was the first one in which I used Toon Link exclusively. Two of my sets were recorded and I'm hoping you guys can give me some TL tips (and possibly general Smash tips as well). One thing that you'll see from the videos is that I need to improve my AGT and work on bomb jumping, but these are a work in progress at the moment. My first set I got beat pretty bad by a Diddy Kong in part due to my lack of effective recovery. I think I also need to use projectiles more often and more effectively. Anyway, if you get a chance to look at them and give me some advice and criticism, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T3TCODMO-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t5NOcVeXhc

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
After watching the first fight of the first vid, I can tell you that you need to do more Teching & L-Cancels. Also, try to mix up your recovery with AGTs, otherwise, it's an easy edgehog. Specific to Diddy Kong, try to pick up his bananas when you can. Use instant tossing if they're in the air, or a wavedash if they're already on the ground. Also, wavedashing in general should be used more, D-Air should be used less, I saw you whiff quite a few of them. Also, grounded Up-Bs are great for building quick damage, or dragging them off the edge to set up for gimps. Also, welcome to the community!

Tesla_Coil

Smash Cadet
After watching the first fight of the first vid, I can tell you that you need to do more Teching & L-Cancels. Also, try to mix up your recovery with AGTs, otherwise, it's an easy edgehog. Specific to Diddy Kong, try to pick up his bananas when you can. Use instant tossing if they're in the air, or a wavedash if they're already on the ground. Also, wavedashing in general should be used more, D-Air should be used less, I saw you whiff quite a few of them. Also, grounded Up-Bs are great for building quick damage, or dragging them off the edge to set up for gimps. Also, welcome to the community!

Thanks very much for all your advice! I hope my teching, l-canceling, and wavedashing become more routine as time goes on; I often miss out on these opportunities in the heat of the fight. I also noticed (as you did) that I threw out a lot of desperation dairs and bairs, I need to get rid of this habit. Hopefully I'll have some better videos for you guys soon!

B.W.

Smash Champion
So I got to play some Smash in a small friendly tournament, only one other person there knew how to play the game and he used Zelda and the match went to one stock and 19 seconds.

The only thing I really got from the match was don't play Zelda on FD. It was all for fun so I let the stage slide, but I'm sure the stage had a lot to do with how the match turned out.

Anyway, any advice against a campy defensive Zelda?

D

Deleted member

I'd imagine camping her won't do much. Probably just space good moves like nair and stuff. I haven't played vs many zeldas besides zhime on wifi but I also don't really like the matchup lol

Jolteon

1. Put Zelda in air.
2. ???
3. Profit!

Anyway, for neutral, like Zach said it's not really feasible to projectile camp her because of Naryu's and stuff. You can keep a bomb in hand to punish a whiffed move but I would not recommend throwing it at her otherwise, unless it's about to explode. Respect her hitboxes and don't jump like an idiot, stay on the ground unless you see an opening and she can't use Naryu's to counter an approach.

When you get her in the air TL's uair is really good at keeping her up there, she doesn't fall fast or drift much so you can keep sharking her with it since it has sex kick-like properties.

Jolteon

All right, so I totally stole the OP of this thread so I could keep it updated. :p This makes it the perfect time to upload 3.0 videos, eh? ;)

Expect an update sometime later today. Also, I have new videos that I'm uploading!

D

Deleted member

New f tilt, new up tilt, new fair speed, new fast fall, better % on up b (aka easier AGTs), and the only nerf was on dair WHICH I agree with because the hitbox was pretty disjointed and made absolutely no sense.
3.0 Toonlink is a masterpiece :love:

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
You guys will be seeing more of me again, I remember when I showed up so long ago early on in PM playing days. I can't stay away from this Tink though, he's gahlike~

It's amazing how easy it is to lose your grasp for Bomb jumps though, gotta get it back down.

Jolteon

You guys will be seeing more of me again, I remember when I showed up so long ago early on in PM playing days. I can't stay away from this Tink though, he's gahlike~

It's amazing how easy it is to lose your grasp for Bomb jumps though, gotta get it back down.
Awesome! Glad to hear that you like his changes. :) As for bomb jumping, if you've figured it out before it shouldn't take long to learn again at all, it's also easier to do in 3.0 since the final up+b hitbox can make the bomb explode, providing it's not too stale.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
I still suck at bomb jumping, but new TL is incredible. Omg fast fair and utilt are ridiculous.

tripwire

Smash Journeyman
Awesome! Glad to hear that you like his changes. :) As for bomb jumping, if you've figured it out before it shouldn't take long to learn again at all, it's also easier to do in 3.0 since the final up+b hitbox can make the bomb explode, providing it's not too stale.

Easier....should i go back to my T.Link roots? Lol now I'm all excited and stuff.

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
I've only gotten to play one match with him thanks to finals, but he felt much, much faster. I can't wait to really get back to practicing with him. I bomb jumped perfectly on my first try in 3.0 so I'll take that as a good sign.

Jolteon

Really glad to hear that you guys are enjoying the changes! Now is definitely the time to play TL if the bomb jump was making you think twice before. :p

Swann: I've been there before! With a little lab work, just play him in matches a lot and eventually you get it down, that's how it worked out for me.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Thanks man. Yeah, it's really just a matter of putting in the time... which I should have after this week, since it marks the end of my undergraduate career :)

I've almost got AGT down pat, but they're not QUITE perfected so that I can bomb jump on command. It'll get there. Question: I haven't tested, but is it possible to pull a bomb without FFing (during the window where FF is possible)?

Jolteon

Thanks man. Yeah, it's really just a matter of putting in the time... which I should have after this week, since it marks the end of my undergraduate career :)

I've almost got AGT down pat, but they're not QUITE perfected so that I can bomb jump on command. It'll get there. Question: I haven't tested, but is it possible to pull a bomb without FFing (during the window where FF is possible)?
Nice! Must be a great feeling.

It is possible to pull a bomb without fastfalling by tilting the control stick (think doing uairs/utilt without tap jumping), in most cases though I find you can buffer down after an action to pull a bomb.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I hadn't thought about that. What's the 3.0 aerial with the shortest amount of total animation frames or quickest IASA, do you know? My thought would be to aerial->buffer down->bomb if necessary.

I'll note down to practice non-FF bomb pulls, in any case. Don't want to be caught in a situation where that would have saved me.

Jolteon

How do you feel about Tink vs Snake, Jolt? I figure there's no one that knows that MU better and I don't care for Lucas vs Snake.

And does the shield block his Tranq?
I think it's about even, TL's bombs are really strong vs Snake and he juggles/combos/edge-guards him well (disjointed hitboxes are a boon against Snake's grenades when juggling him). On the other hand Snake's shield/crouch/wd back game is really awkward for TL to deal with because he can't threaten his shield well meaning sometimes you have to unwillingly give up space, and he can't commit to overshooting vs Snake without risking getting grabbed (ouch) so it's really risky when you try to regain stage control. Snake also has a really strong punish game on TL and it's easy to punish mistakes or hitconfirm since his optimal punishes usually start with a grab.

Neither character is particularly good at approaching each other, they are both fantastic against each other defensively and punish well, so I find it's better to play patiently, play smartly to avoid losing stage control in the first place, hitconfirm into a bomb and combo -> launcher -> juggle -> convert to edge guard.

Unsure if his stationary shield blocks Tranq actually, but you can simply bring up the bubble shield and WD oos on reaction.

Oh, I hadn't thought about that. What's the 3.0 aerial with the shortest amount of total animation frames or quickest IASA, do you know? My thought would be to aerial->buffer down->bomb if necessary.

I'll note down to practice non-FF bomb pulls, in any case. Don't want to be caught in a situation where that would have saved me.
I believe fair is his fastest IASA, . Naturally, you can use his previous bomb tosses to buffer downwards after that.

Top Bottom