• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who are the Top 10 Players of 2012?

Bing

Smash Master
most people consider Mango the most skilled but he is not the best.
Most people consider Armada the most skilled player and he is the best...

Mango is a terrible example.

Now I think an appropriate Example would be someone like Wobbles.

Wobbles is an amazing player who is underrated and hardly featured on anyones list.

leffen

Smash Champion
Who is the best and who is the most skilled is defined by who can win within the rules of the game.

Picking your character/hero/champion/class/gun is a huge part of what makes you win, therefor it should always be included when you count skill.

and you guys act like he hasn't gotten a huge amount of free wins just because he plays a HEAVILY underplayed character. Look at how much better everyone does against him the second time they face him.
People still really don't really understand anything about pikachu. Looking at how noone ever uses pivot shielding (against crossup nairs), abuses his shield, noone can even edgeguard him (grab the edge, abuse his huge lag with quick ledgedashes)

And seriously, how in the ****ing world can people still fall for the DL64 slipoff from the edge when its telegraphed so lol.

I get into this situation a lot I, as everyone knows, play Yoshi.

Most low tier mains having shaky results are because since noone knows the matchup. Consciously or subconsciously, Low tier mains start to abuse things that people don't punish out of inexperience. This is pretty common knowledge, but the thing that most people don't realize is that after a while, low tier mains start realizing "oh now hes starting to punish me for doing X, now I'll start baiting it all the time and just do Y".
Eventually the opponent will catch on and start punishing Y, but the low tier main has already played the "learn the gimmick" 9001 times more than the opponent and has a very easy time staying ahead in the mindgames. Trust me, I'm an avid user of this.
Its hilariously easy,

Example for dummies:
you could compare it to if you didn't know any of the Falco's recovery options. You keep throwing off falco and he just keeps DJ Dairing you.. And then when you realizing how to punish this (most people take lots of matches to actually start punishing a brand new option that they've never seen before).
But since Falcos are so rare and 99% of your opponents have never played a falco before, this falco know how long it usually takes to learn how to punish DJ dair, and so he switches to his next option (that you don't know either), just airdodging onstage. And so on, you keep on introducing new options in a timely manner and the set (esp if its bo3) will already be over before you even know all the available options, and then you still have the fact that your opponent has much more experience in this mixup.

I mean, first time most people play Axe and other low tier mains they are not only bad in the matchup
(a la M2K vs Falco), they don't even know their weaknesses or strengths. Most people that seem to "know" the matchup, are more likely to just have a style that fits the matchup.

Again, it all comes down to: Why can you excuse their disadvantages (that X low tier is worse) while at the same time ignoring all the advantages (that nobody plays them)?

The same really applies to playing aggressively.

Mango loses to Taj for being too aggressive? LOL IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE HE WAS AGGRESSIVE Mango 4 stocking Taj because mango's offense broke him down? OMG HES 1000TIMES BETTER

Playing Low tiers as well as playing aggressively are both high risk high reward styles. Most people are ignoring the risk and just focus on the reward because of blatant bias.

ending notes: I have faced and beaten all "low" tier mains I've ever met, granted I've only met Vectorman and Axe in friendlies, and trust me, I've met a ****load of low tier mains.

also, pikachu is so much better than people give him credit for lol
and the fact that hes still one of the most underplayed characters gives him a great "how good he really is-how well people know the matchup" ratio.

edit: this came out way longer than I expected. Kudos to anyone who reads through it

robyextreme

Smash Ace
You would have to be really stupid to consider reading an entire Leffen post, I did skim through it and there's nothing important. (surprise....)

Bones0

Smash Legend
You would have to be really stupid to consider reading an entire Leffen post, I did skim through it and there's nothing important. (surprise....)
It was actually a really good post. He almost made it all the way through without talking about how he beat someone.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
Axe is hands down top 10 most skilled players, unfortunately, top 10 best players is a different list

that being said, he could still be #10
What are we defining as "more skilled"? I feel like this is heavily definition-dependent.

And leffen who do you think Pikachu is better than to make him underrated? I feel like Pikachu is right where he belongs, I dunno I just don't see him being in the top 10 characters.

X-Vena

Smash Cadet
he wasn't adaptable enough, ie he sucked to much to beat javi.
javi on the other hand was probably jetlagged, was under insane pressure from his own country for performing well AND just being at a flopmerican tournament. not to mention the pressure from the fact that he spent SO much money going there, if he didnt take home price money the ecomonic blow on him would prolly be huge.
pp on the other hand had every factor on his side to be comfortable (compared to javi)
+10

good post

X-Vena

Smash Cadet
pretty amazing to get 4th at ones very first tournament ever huh
oh wait hes dominated mexico and played for a long *** time?!

oh but wait, only flopmerican tournaments count, because flopmerica is the center of the universe.

and what reasons do you have to beleive that mexico isn't better?
i think eveyone should have to prove themselves in mexico, it makes just as much sense.
jajajja very funny post jajaj

unknown522

Some guy
I have taken more games of armada (except for hbox which took 3 in a single set) during the last year but that doesn't make me top 10

I have also "owned" Armada (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2_8afY7q7A&feature=channel&list=UL&t=9m15s, and I usually win by a good margin when I take games).
The thing is, that doesn't really matter if you can't win an entire set. Placing higher is what you should rank skill off, not the fact that I /Axe have better combo games (or offense, in mangos/axe case) than players who place above us.

losing to lots of "worse" players is a huge weakness and should be considered when ranking people.
Consistency is amazingly hard to achieve =/
this

/10char

JPOBS

Smash Hero
leffen said what I've been thinking the whole time but i didn't want to waste my time writng it out cuz smashboards is fake

Battlecow

Play to Win
Wobbles gets plenty of respect, tons of lists have featured him

The better player is the one who does better/wins, not the one who gimps himself with a low tier and still does OK

My B about Jman-Gen2, totally forgot

Leffen is fake

Shroomed

Smash Master
Happy birthday!!! I just want everyone to know smasg is ****ing amazing, and I love you all for playing the best game in existence. You are amazing.

Shroomed out.

:phone:

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
You have no soul because unlike 99% of the human population, you don't subconsciously consider the efforts of an underdog more impressive than those of a non-underdog.
Chances are he does, but because it's subconscious it's hidden from his conscious mind.

Yea, but if you wanted to couldn't you buy a controller and work with it to break it in so that you could have a good controller for tournament?
QFT

For a long time I thought M2K was just a big *** johner but he's actually right in nearly everything.

He's definitely right about a controller.

I switched mains from Sheik to Fox and bought a brand new controller to break it in. It'll prob take years to get it really broken in but the difference is astronomical when, say, I have to use another one (cuz I left mine at Johnny's house =/).

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
yeah, but the problem is m2k is a ****** who loses his controller at every single national he attends...
he shouldve learned his lesson the first time that you dont leave your controller amongst strangers

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Don't listen to Shadowphoenix m2k. he is just one of those trollers that doesn't have any videos up on youtube. He isn't like you and me.

Van.

Smash Ace
shadow pheonix if you aren't in the ****ing youtube club treehouse with sinji and m2k you may want to stop posting

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Just my two cents.

1) Armada
2) Mango
3) Hungrybox
4) Dr. PeePee
5) Mew2king
6) Javi
7) Shroomed