• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why i believe Olimar Beats MK 55:45

brinboy789

Smash Champion
Well, the thing is, MK's main advantage is when Olimar is offstage. Olimar will never be offstage unless he is approached, broken through, punished multiple times, and then finally pushed off the edge.

Basically, if you count how much of an advantage they have over each other in the situations, MK should win. HOWEVER, MK doesn't get the massive advantage until he can get a good lead on the Olimar. Olimar has a decent advantage UNTIL MK gets a good lead. However, if the Olimar knows the matchup well, he can try to abuse his advantage so MK never gets a good enough lead % wise to translate it into stock-wise advantage.
so its all about momentum, and who dominates the match?

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
enough said. and if i'm not mistaken if you are having trouble vsing a person/character the way you play, isn't it the SMART thing to change your playstyle, if only temporarily?
Lol did you really just try to lecture the country's most consistent winner on mindgaming?

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Onstage isn't the whole fight though.

Maybe onstage Olimar has the advantage.. but it seems as though when he isn't grounded or if he's offstage he's at a disadvantage.

I guess it just depends how good the MK is at breaking through Oli's defense and getting him into the air or offstage.

I still think it's probably fairly equal if anything, I don't see how a character can have an advantage due to that character's ground / combo game only, if the other character plain ***** offstage and has a clear advantage in aerial combat.

asob4

Smash Champion
just because you(atomsk) were able to beat inui doesn't mean that olimar can beat MK consistently
it just proves inui doesn't the matchup better than some

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
ASOB4 i've also beaten m2ks(mk in tourny MATCHES) and many other mks in it

asob4

Smash Champion
they don't know the match up obviously, as the only top oli i've seen up there consistently placing is blackwaltz

camping will not always work, it can and has been overcome.
in theory, yes, perfect camping should work, but that's not how it will always play out.

i can beat any player who doesn't know how to play against an olimar, it's easy. they never know what the fuc i'm doing so i have an automatic advantage. once that match up is learned then it becomes oli's disadvantage (in the case of MK)

MK beats oli, plain and simple. all you need to do is basically hover above the ground with dairs and there's nothing olimar can really do.

or run to a spot dodge to avoid the obvious grab or fsmash from oli then bam free grab from MK capitalizing off of the tiny bit of lag.

this isn't just theory, i have played out these matches and have had these happen to me.
better yet, just ledge camp oli. unknownforce did it to me on norfair. it got me frustrated and i loss (i was "perfect camping" that round)

don't even say i'm just a bad player. i'm one of the top oli's in so cal. i've been lagging tourney wise, but nonetheless i'm still up there

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
again note your from west coast

different coasts have different play styles

and blackwaltz has been lagging lately as well

asob4

Smash Champion
i suppose

oli's are slightly more common here so that may be why you guys consider him better than MK

we have ~3 over here :D hahahah

also, thanks for the oli support but he isn't gonna have advantage on MK anytime soon. unless we play with brawl+, then we literally will be untouchable

null55

Smash Master
I've always said Olimar is insanely underrated. I really want to learn him now.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think that even if Meta Knight is 55:45 against anybody, he goes lower faster than a lot of other characters in matchups when the opponent is more skilled, slightly or not.

The thing about Meta Knight is, when you know what he can do, he's dead. All those advantages you kill off, you do so by figuring out how to counterattack. If he can't use his attacks to even shake you off, his light weight and high falling speed will guarantee that he won't come back, even with 6 jumps, gliding, and 4 B recoveries to choose between, which will be useless anyway if he already hits the side of the screen.

Now if you'll excuse me, I must find a way to beat Game & Watch to a bloody pulp. Or better yet, fight Pit's ^&*$% arrow spam.

Ignatious

Smash Cadet
It's a simple matter of mind games, as previously stated. If Player A uses Olimar and Player B uses MK, the character match up is assumed to be 50-50 (or it should be, at least). Now, if Player A goes into a tournament, and faces Player B, the match up isn't 50-50, because the characters are not mindlessly fighting each other, the players use mind games. Each and every game that Player A faces an MK he will have quite a strong advantage over the MK, because his mind game ability will almost always surpass that of an opposing MK. Olimars are always working on their mind games, for this particular match up. Always testing it and perfecting it. An Olimar with such training can easily have a 60-40 vs. your average tournament placing MK. Why? Because MK isn't training to out mind game Olimars, they are too worried about Snake, DDD, Falco, etc. Now it is true that some MKs do in fact practice mind games vs. Olimar, but that has its downfalls. First, they have to gamble, they have to decide whether Player A is an Olimar that mind games well, or just your average Olimar. If they decide that Player A is just a casual/competitive player, or get cocky he will take an easy 40% early on. If they decide correctly, then oh well? You lose your advantage and it becomes the 50-50% match up that would have been expected anyway, no big deal.

Just my opinion, anyway.

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
Another attempt to get Mk unbanned?

Yeah, at least this one is better then saying Jiggs is an Mk counter because Jiggly can Rest Mk for a lot of damage. :-P

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
No because...
A) MetaKarp doesn't deserve to be banned, people need to stop complaining and learn how to fight him
and
B) i think olimar wins based on the facts i have stated

Rocann

Smash Lord
It's a simple matter of mind games, as previously stated. If Player A uses Olimar and Player B uses MK, the character match up is assumed to be 50-50 (or it should be, at least). Now, if Player A goes into a tournament, and faces Player B, the match up isn't 50-50, because the characters are not mindlessly fighting each other, the players use mind games. Each and every game that Player A faces an MK he will have quite a strong advantage over the MK, because his mind game ability will almost always surpass that of an opposing MK. Olimars are always working on their mind games, for this particular match up. Always testing it and perfecting it. An Olimar with such training can easily have a 60-40 vs. your average tournament placing MK. Why? Because MK isn't training to out mind game Olimars, they are too worried about Snake, DDD, Falco, etc. Now it is true that some MKs do in fact practice mind games vs. Olimar, but that has its downfalls. First, they have to gamble, they have to decide whether Player A is an Olimar that mind games well, or just your average Olimar. If they decide that Player A is just a casual/competitive player, or get cocky he will take an easy 40% early on. If they decide correctly, then oh well? You lose your advantage and it becomes the 50-50% match up that would have been expected anyway, no big deal.

Just my opinion, anyway.
that was stupid, you basically said olimar has the advantage over MK because MKs are dumb players. amount of practice vs another character has no bearing on the actual matchup between the two characters

Ignatious

Smash Cadet
that was stupid, you basically said olimar has the advantage over MK because MKs are dumb players. amount of practice vs another character has no bearing on the actual matchup between the two characters
Wrong. I clearly stated that the character match up is (in my opinion) 50-50. However, that 50-50 changes based off of how prepared each player is, and it is much, MUCH, more likely for a player to be prepared for MK than for Olimar.

PS. Flames really are not necessary, if I'm wrong, so what? No need to get defensive about it.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've got a theory about MK having an infinite _____ on Olimar and maybe a couple other characters. It needs more testing, but if it turns out to be true, Olimar will be rendered unviable in tourney play.

(I'm concealing it for now for obvious reasons)

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
I've got a theory about MK having an infinite _____ on Olimar and maybe a couple other characters. It needs more testing, but if it turns out to be true, Olimar will be rendered unviable in tourney play.

(I'm concealing it for now for obvious reasons)
if this is true then i will say mk should be banned lol:psycho: pm me what infinite your talking about please so i can test it without letting the mks know

XienZo

Smash Lord
Lol, only a few words can fit in the blank. It could be Grab, grab release, lock, combo, tornado, and a few other things. I'm thinking its "John".

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
Hmm something tells me the INFINENT will be banned before MetaKarp XD

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
yea i am against banning MK also, but save that **** for the 7 threads about Discussing the thought about Banning MetaKarp

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
i am, but even a hip person like me don't know all the dance steps, you think something that sounds similar but isn't would have some secret meaning to the way you move it

Dotcom

Smash Lord
So I hear Atomsk got hit by a hurricane.
T'was really nasty.

And to all thpeople coming here and saying this is just another reason to not get meta Knight banned. Please cease and desist. This is an explination, and defense of why a person solely belives hat Olimar beats MetaKarp? (i guess it's an atomsk thing.) If you don't beleive so don't troll and throw your 2 cents in, and say something that has most likely already been said.

Top Bottom