• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Big Blue banned?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
SBR Ruleset Justification said:
The stage layout itself was deemed too intrusive to allow this as a counterpick, as players had to fight the stage transformations and hazards as much, if not more, as the player.
Like Port Town Aero Dive, it is very easy to simply argue that this stage does not promote the qualities looked for in a competitive stage list.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
SBR said:
The stage layout itself was deemed too intrusive to allow this as a counterpick, as players had to fight the stage transformations and hazards as much, if not more, as the player.
Sounds a lot like Rainbow Cruise. No one likes that stage anyway. Unless you wanna be a *** at counterpicking.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
This stage sucks. Bad. If you actually want to play a decent match, this is a place not to go to. Characters with recoveries that go high vertically but not horizontally far fail so hard in this place. You fall in between the cars, they spread out, you can't fight. It's also a camp fest (But hey, isn't every place when you're playing brawl?).

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The stage is banned because the stage sucks. END OF DISCUSSION!
This is a "turning my brain off" kinda of remark. Sadly, it's all too common. There are legitimate reasons to want to ban this stage even; is it that hard to judge the stage as such? I can assure you that the game is ultimately more interesting and more fun (not to mention less scrubby) when you really explore the depths of the stages and verify for yourself why broken stages are broken and why some seemingly broken stages are fair.

Frozt

Smash Apprentice
Falcon dittos are hella fun on Big blue.

Now on topic
This stage is banned because you must spend more time focusing on where you are than fight your opponent and there are some sections where the campy game gets gayer than ever.

Jesusdragon737

Smash Cadet
I'm glad this stage is banned. Instead of focusing your attention on the actual fight and attacking your opponent, avoiding the road at all costs is your main objective. It is especially difficult to do this when for the most part, you are attacking each other only a small distance above the area you're trying to avoid (if you're fighting on the cars). Also, If your fighting in the air, the camera moves up, making it impossible to see where a safe area to land is. This stage fails.

Smash Master
People who don't bother posting arguments to back their assertions don't belong on forums. Nobody will agree with anything you say unless you give them reason to do so.

Energy Whip

Smash Cadet
Oh, That stage was one of my favorites but like people said the Cars would just K.O you or your opponent leaving a S.D.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
The stage is pretty bad, but techinically there is nothing bannable about it. Also, there is always three cars on the road at all times.

sffadsad

Smash Apprentice
Why is Port Town Aero Dive banned? Shouldn't it be counterpick since it's good for fliers? Isn't that just another one of the stage elements? It's not random after all. It's quite obvious when the cars are gonna come and all. Blah blah blah. [/sarcasm]

The fact is any stage can be argued to be stage legal if you simply say "it's just a stage element."

Big blue is banned simply because it gives too much of an advantage to one player while greatly hindering the other. Characters with controllable projectiles, spikes, and who are just overall faster automatically win on this stage as long as they're not stupid. Slower characters such as the heavyweights are given no room to punish or bait. Characters with spikes can just stay on the right side of the stage, wait for the cars to disappear and spike their opponent as they try to get onto the safe platform.

Counterpicks are meant to give your character an advantage over your enemy that much is true, but it's not meant to make the battle so one sided that your opponent has absolutely no chance.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
Why is Port Town Aero Dive banned? Shouldn't it be counterpick since it's good for fliers? Isn't that just another one of the stage elements? It's not random after all. It's quite obvious when the cars are gonna come and all. Blah blah blah. [/sarcasm]

The fact is any stage can be argued to be stage legal if you simply say "it's just a stage element."

Big blue is banned simply because it gives too much of an advantage to one player while greatly hindering the other. Characters with controllable projectiles, spikes, and who are just overall faster automatically win on this stage as long as they're not stupid. Slower characters such as the heavyweights are given no room to punish or bait. Characters with spikes can just stay on the right side of the stage, wait for the cars to disappear and spike their opponent as they try to get onto the safe platform.

Counterpicks are meant to give your character an advantage over your enemy that much is true, but it's not meant to make the battle so one sided that your opponent has absolutely no chance.
There you go ^^
[/thread]

I've noticed a trend, the people who are like "wtf this NEEDS to be banned" play characters like Link and Ganon. .. Who if they so much as touch the road are SCREWED. /stock. End bywe, you lose, you get NOTHING. Even if you tech and get up in time your recovery is SO bad you die.

This stage is terrible and characters with alot of aerial mobility instant win. it's not counterpick, it's SPITE. "lol, I lose to your heavy character so I'm gonna pick a stage you CANNOT POSSIBLY win on"

It deserves to be banned.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
This stage is terrible and characters with alot of aerial mobility instant win. it's not counterpick, it's SPITE. "lol, I lose to your heavy character so I'm gonna pick a stage you CANNOT POSSIBLY win on"
And you don't think that's worth a ban? :/

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I'm doubtful that Link is really so bad on this stage. If you're good at playing on it, dying on the road isn't the main factor. The main factor is whether you can approach with jump ins or force people to come to you. Ganon stands little chance (though, to be real, he doesn't stand much chance on any stage). Link, on the other hand, can chuck actually aim his projectiles car to car (unlike what Falco can do with his laser).

Instant win is a bit of an exaggeration. You can win here with Ganon and Bowser and such; it's just an overall bigger disadvantage for them than most other counterpicks would give them. Big Blue also demands very stage specific skills, and games on Big Blue are really different. I remember the Hanenbow people saying it was "different but not broken". Hanenbow is a loop stage so that wasn't true, but that is true here. I am pretty convinced at this point that Big Blue isn't broken, but it's a very different stage on a lot of fundamental levels. Take it your own way how that should translate to policy.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman

BB would only ever be a CP, never a starter. If someone takes you to the stage, switch characters.

Player1 wins
Player2 CPs Big blue
Player1 switches to character that isn't owned by the road

If you don't switch characters and you're playing someone who'll get owned by the road, that's YOUR choice.

Gea

Smash Master
How is recovery even an issue here? The road is the main obstacle, along with the fact that its forcing characters into the air ALOT more, and as it stands now it would be a pro meta stage. Still, it makes me want to play on it more, as I never really gave it a chance in Brawl. In Melee it was a bit more rigged with shines...

This reminds me of the whole "Kongo Jungle" in Melee thing. Stage was not broken in any way, and the reason listed for it being banned was being able to wavedash through the logs. More likely it was people camping on the rock, but no character really had a safe camping time because Doc, Mario, Peach, Marth, Pika, Fox, and Falco could all easily contend with a camper for the rock with either a strong projectile game, rigged range or ways to stall in mid air then quickly retreat/punish.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
If a stage makes you work against the stage more than the player, it's bad. It doesn't matter too much how good the recoveries are of the people that make this counter pickable, even they have to make sure to focus on the stage while harrasing their targets... anyone with horrible jumps and sad as snap recoveries have absolutely no chance of performing well on this stage. Counter pics might make it so you have an advantage against your opponent, but the advantage shouldn't be that uber one sided that you can win a match by just avoiding your enemy and letting them get knocked out by trying to keep up with you, while you gimp them whenever they do get close...

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
What do you mean there are no stages that make you work more on the stage than the player? The Scrolling Donkey Kong Stage, 75, Mario Bros, Mushroomy Kingdom, Flatzone2, these stages and more, the stage itself is a bigger issue than your enemy, and mastering this stage is the biggest priority...

And if you were refering to how a stage that lets you pretty much avoid your enemy until YOU feel like destroying him, I'd honestly like to see a Champion Falco or Wario take on a Champion Ike or Gannondorf on Big Blue. I'd be willing to bet anything that the Falco or Wario would win.

Top Bottom