• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why isnt melee HUGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Close but no cigar, friend. Some people sadly do not realize this.

I just wish to bring this to attention since Melee kinda is going nowhere. =/

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Don't forget

www.dustloop.com, and www.meltybread.com

A good reason though, for smash not to be as large as it probably should be is the ignorance of the other fighting communities. Most of the other fighting game communities look down upon our community, and our game as a whole, yet more than likely, they've never even touched the game outside of casual play.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Indeed. Smash was obviously created as a casual game, not a competitive game with any depth whatsoever. Almost every other fighter was created somewhere in the middle. All fighters want to cater to casual gamers while still giving hardcore competitive gamers something to enjoy and break down. Smash doesn't do this at all. Smash's emergent depth is completely coincidental and accidental. From this other communities can derive that, since they haven't experienced the depth, that Smash is actually lacking depth. Not to mention it's using flagship characters that children love, making it seem more targeted at a younger audience.

I despise the argument that Smash looks "childish" or that it was designed to look that way. Just take a look at Guilty Gear and Melty Blood. Sure, the art is amazing and some characters look downright frightening, but some of the characters in those series look like otaku fangirl bull****. May is pink, rides dolphins and fights with an achor (her entire existence as of AC is to set up a 3 hit combo S (2) HS 8 S, and she can repeat it multiple times for the kill, how's that for depth?). Bridget lives in a Keebler Elf type forest and looks like a generic female anime character, anyone that doesn't know Bridget is actually a dude wouldn't be able to tell otherwise, anyway.

EDIT: Oh, and also look very closely at Ness in Melee anytime he gets hit. He has a huge fukcing smile on his face, what kind of masochist **** is that?

Stev

Smash Ace
I think when you really break it down tho, the reason smash isn't bigger is because of the console it was released on. Game Cube didn't really have as many console sellers at PS2 and Xbox and most competitive console gamers went to Xbox. It's really a shame

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I would close the thread if I didn't feel people would call me biased. (ie it would be better if another mod closed the thread since I don't want my judgement on closing this thread called into question).

So yea, thats why this thread hasn't been closed by me-I'm to close to the issue.

Krook

Smash Rookie
Maybe there will be a come back once computers get faster and GameCube emulators are widespread. Online Melee FTW

Flan

Smash Journeyman
The whole thing I enjoy is that Melee isn't online. This means you have to go and and meet people face to face if you want to get better. 4 people can play on one screen without anything changing in screen size. In Halo, you need 8 tvs, 8 xboxs, 8 Halo disc and 8 controllers as well as lan cables to play competitively. In Melee, you need 1 tv, 1 gamecube, 1 smash disc, and 2-4 controllers. If Melee was online, we would get Nintendo's Wi-fi bull****. We know how bad Brawl online is and how boring it is as well. I'd rather just go to tournaments every weekend and play people face to face.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Or we could have what GG, BB, and MB has; flawless, lagless online play.

Don't compare brawl's online to that of better communities.

*Edit*

Also; GG and MB's online play is third party, and peer to peer, yet even coast to coast the online play is lagless.

teeman92

Smash Lord
Pensacola, FL. That place that Tristen de Luna fou
ive played almost every game competitively on the MLG gamelist, i recently picked up ssbm and i cant seem to figure it out, why isnt melee bigger than the rest of these ****ty games? halo 3=put the dot on their head and pull right trigger, gow 2= press A a ****load... but super smash is much deeper. when it is played on a very high level it seems almost impossible to fully understand what is going on. the strategy involved, and the sheer skill blows me away. im trying to get all my friends off the halo bandwagon and to give smash a shot. it blew me away, and i hope it will for them as well...
it depends on what type of game they like. im a shooter fanatic and NEVER EVER call halo ****ty. i dont really think someone is going to keep their gamecube for over 3 years and not get a wii instead. to tell you the truth, i liked melee before ATs ever been created. it not the way smash bros is supposed to be played; by sliding back and forth and such.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
it depends on what type of game they like. im a shooter fanatic and NEVER EVER call halo ****ty. i dont really think someone is going to keep their gamecube for over 3 years and not get a wii instead. to tell you the truth, i liked melee before ATs ever been created. it not the way smash bros is supposed to be played; by sliding back and forth and such.
Two things wrong with this.

You can still play Melee on a Wii.

And I'm sorry but how is Melee supposed to be played?

Oh right there is no set way to play.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
The whole thing I enjoy is that Melee isn't online. This means you have to go and and meet people face to face if you want to get better. 4 people can play on one screen without anything changing in screen size. In Halo, you need 8 tvs, 8 xboxs, 8 Halo disc and 8 controllers as well as lan cables to play competitively. In Melee, you need 1 tv, 1 gamecube, 1 smash disc, and 2-4 controllers. If Melee was online, we would get Nintendo's Wi-fi bull****. We know how bad Brawl online is and how boring it is as well. I'd rather just go to tournaments every weekend and play people face to face.

Its not the same in every area as far as the scene goes. Hard to find people in some places...

Please no johns crap ether folks.

Stev

Smash Ace
Don't talk about online play either, because despite what you think, there is some amount of lag. And coast to coast lagless is impossible. But this was in an older thread about melee being online, so lets not even bother with this idea.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Lag will always be at least the distance from your house to your ISP + their house to their ISP + ISP to ISP + other factors / slightly slower than the speed of light. Other factors include bandwidth throttling, amount of available bandwidth per ISP, router setup, etc, etc. The farther you are, the more lag you will experience, no matter what.

Melee is huge. In fact, it's exactly |-------------| this big (not to scale.)

Windrose

Smash Lord
MLG was never that big in terms of competitive gaming. PC games get much more attention. melee is also an old game and new generations of gamers aren't interested in this classic game, too bad.

shogun.

Smash Rookie
hmm...

it's 8 years old
brawl exists
fg community looks down on it because "its for kids"
pretty technical for the average gamer
players come and go
time consuming
fps more popular and gamer friendly

just some reasons

wool

Smash Ace
You can, it just requires that both players have really powerful computers for it to run nice and smooth. As Gamecube emulation improves, Melee online will begin to flourish.

Look at Smash64 online , it's pretty solid.
Smash64 online still lags a ton for me. And my computer is pretty **** good.
Oh well, if they are working on the Gamecube emulation then that is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom