• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why y'all aren't getting much better

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Fireblaster has the right midset.

"Just play the dam game" haha. I like to take my time and research thoroughly to get good, rather than just play and learn from experience though. Studying videos of isai, and alos studying those who play against him to see what they're doing wrong (Results pending ><)

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Playing is more fun than studying videos, especially because nobody on the Aus servers can compare to that sort of high level play.

I can tell you Leo likes camping in the **** tent and pivot grabbing. A player from a long while ago, Taane, always rolled/teched towards you after being knocked down. A lot of people will attempt an U-Smash as you descend upon them, and are vulnerable to a jump and follow up. You can't just watch Isai's videos, because the behaviour of those players generally won't match up to the people you play.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I pride myself on being able to adapt to my opponents play style so I tend to watch videos of isai to see their technical skill, and other nifty tricks I can pick up. Playing against Leo for example I just jumped and short hop aerialed constantly, and projectile spammed if I had the right char. (Funnily enough he quit the game one time and said he wasn't in the mood for B spamming :D.)

MarioReincarnate

Smash Journeyman
do it for fun

sometimes i feel like gimping, sometimes i don't... kind of like Mounds

in general i just goof around, trying to see how long i can do a tilt for an edgeguard, or see how many dash attacks in a row i can do in the **** tent with yoshi (got to 6 once)

i remember boom saying "wtf weird falcon combos" once when me and zen were falcon dittoing lol

wtf moments are the reason i still play this game, and even though i don't consciously try to improve anymore, i do feel that goofing around helps you improve your situational skills (when to do what), but i miss z cancels and other tech things like its my job

its all about what's fun for you... for some its winning at all costs, or maybe winning with style, or maybe winning doesnt even matter as long as you laugh a few times while playing

do it for fun

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
And I'm assuming malva is reading this right now, chuckling as only he has the secret ingredient.
Yup, I've been trying to figure out what puts him so far ahead of everyone else, so far my only theory is that he spaces so well, waits for a single opponent mistake and then ***** witha combo, often leading to death.

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
You have to play a lot to get better. I play fireblaster quite a bit and Ybomb as well and legendary, and many of the other good players. Sure I got owned by fireblaster and still do , but I slowly see myself getting better just by playing more.

Zen Yore

Smash Ace
Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth
You have to play a lot to get better. .
wrong. time you spend playing wont make you better, its the time you spend learning while playing.
ssb64 isnt runescape, someone who played 3 years can be defeated by someone who played 1 year.

for example, HAMMERHEART (gammelsnork on SWF) is new to the smash 64 community and still beats me often. He has it in him (he was also an elite gladiator in GunZ LOL)

Skrlx

Smash Champion
i played some guy named "Ray" and he was good. I think it was hammerheart or sensei

D

Deleted member

You have to play a lot to get better. I play fireblaster quite a bit and Ybomb as well and legendary, and many of the other good players. Sure I got owned by fireblaster and still do , but I slowly see myself getting better just by playing more.
lol at YBOMBB being good

DMoogle

A$
Am I the only person who he gives trouble to? Maybe his strong points are those that directly exploit my weak points. I win the majority of matches, but he's still tough.

Also I don't know how he's overrated, whenever he's mentioned on here someone always says that he isn't very good.

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
Am I the only person who he gives trouble to? Maybe his strong points are those that directly exploit my weak points. I win the majority of matches, but he's still tough.

Also I don't know how he's overrated, whenever he's mentioned on here someone always says that he isn't very good.
Ikr, I don't even know where all the disrespect towards YBOMBB comes from.
No one even claims that YBOMBB is "amazingly" good, so where is this overrated?

YBOMBB is good but not that good. I play him a lot and personally I don't find anything he does really impressive.
He plays weird... He's very good at timing and connecting his attacks and combos, but he's not the most advanced in his style of play.

D

Deleted member

how is YBOMBB good if he insists on playing high delay since it's his only chance to win

and putting YBOMBB next to Fireblaster is too funney

SheerMadness

Smash Master
YBOMBBB would be a lot better if he had less patterns to exploit like his rolls. He still rolls around like a noob after being on kaillera for like 3 years now.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I wish campus internet didn't majorly suck ¬.¬
There also tend to be way more Melee players than SSB players :[
Melee tournaments also tend to be far bigger and attract bigger names xD (although I can sometimes actually win money at 64 tournaments on campus, hmm...)

NixxxoN

Smash Master
YBOMBBB would be a lot better if he had less patterns to exploit like his rolls. He still rolls around like a noob after being on kaillera for like 3 years now.
I think if someone rolls often doesnt mean hes a noob. Rolling can be very effective in some cases, you can use it as a tactic against some people.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Roll patterns can always be exploited.

I don't suggest rolling much vs an intelligent player.

DMoogle

A$
how is YBOMBB good if he insists on playing high delay since it's his only chance to win
Uh not entirely sure what you're talking about. He usually plays on excellent on the server (3 frames), and when we P2P we get 2 frames.
i play a lot of newbs on Galaxy, and it happened alot some of them said "YOU EVER PLAYED YBOMBB?". Some of them even called me a spammer and said I would get pwned if I played YBOMBB.
That's pretty funny.
I wish campus internet didn't majorly suck ¬.¬
There also tend to be way more Melee players than SSB players :[
Melee tournaments also tend to be far bigger and attract bigger names xD (although I can sometimes actually win money at 64 tournaments on campus, hmm...)
Feel free to come to Northern VA anytime to play me. :) I'm only like 40 minutes away. Or if you're down for cash games then I'll be happy to come to you.
Roll patterns can always be exploited.

I don't suggest rolling much vs an intelligent player.
FWIW I think your two biggest leaks are (1) practically no DI and (2) not TECH-rolling enough. Interestingly enough, you probably think I roll and tech-roll too much, and I'd be inclined to agree with that (although I've worked on cutting it down).

D

Deleted member

the reason you beat YBOMBB is because you play him on very low frames

when he doesn't play 21 frames he no longer has the advantage

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Yah my DI could use work. Dunno about the tech rolling. Tech rolling is easily punished as well. If I tech in place I can immediately parry or jab which comes out on the 2nd frame.

But IMO my biggest downfall is impatience. Unless I'm content on sitting back and parrying **** I usually just get impatient and run in.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
Impatience with Yoshi or Ness is suicide against defensive players. As an impatient and aggressive player myself I gave up playing those characters early on...I have no regrets though, since it's really satisfying punishing my campy-*** friends with Fox or Puff. Diagonal-facing drills seem to work very well against campers for some reason.

DMoogle

A$
A$ do you play poker? I've only ever seen poker players call weaknesses "leaks".
Yeah, although not much lately. Too stressful, and I suck at motivating myself. When I do play, it's mostly mid-high stakes heads-up PLO.
Yah my DI could use work. Dunno about the tech rolling. Tech rolling is easily punished as well. If I tech in place I can immediately parry or jab which comes out on the 2nd frame.
It's definitely worse to tech-roll too much rather than too little. But there are a lot of times I play you and I think "wow, I can't believe he's not tech-rolling away." Then there are a lot of times I'm so sure that you're going to tech-roll away since it's such an obvious spot that I'll "overshoot" my attack. :p

Mindgames ftl.

kabal

Smash Apprentice
Nice thread A$, I definitely agree.

I've found that another good way to get better is to play you over and over again. :laugh:

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I can totally see PLO being too stressful ... massive swings when you're usually not favored by much in big pots.

I only play NLHE because I'm too lazy to learn other games.

T1g3rbombz

Smash Journeyman
Originally Posted by s2j View Post

So i play on high delay such as 11 frames and i win...am i a noob?

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I think for most people the lower the delay the better the player can be. You don't lose your core skills when the delay is moderately high but you do lose the ability to be more "flexible" and be more technical.

The above statement applies to MOST people, people like YBOMBB, JaimeHR can do well in high delay and there's no problem with that but when people say "oh i'm good in 11 frames but not in 3 or 2 frames", that's a bit extreme. If I can recall correctly, YBOMBB doesn't like to p2p because it feels "weird" and PD would rather play in 5 frames than 3-1 frames. It kinda makes you wonder how'd they do in console lol

Top Bottom