• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Wind Waker VS. Twilight Princess

Volkner582

Smash Journeyman
Twilight Princess I felt had better, dungeons, generally better bosses [mostly because it had like a dozen bosses instead of 8], it was harder [although the only real challenging part was getting used to the Wii schematics], I really liked the Wolf form & because I generally liked the gameplay far more.

The Wind Waker I felt has endless replay value, the best 3rd person camera in a video game EVER [I'm in love with it], awesome sea adventures [although I wish it was bigger with more islands & enemies], fun dungeons, great characters, & just a overall classic presentation.

Also, the stories on them were about equal. The story on The Wind Waker was fun, funny, & in several ways fairly dark but universal. The story on Twilight Princess was much darker [the darkest Zelda game yet...which still wasn't too dark], but it also was generally much more progressive, longer, & had nothing reall terrible.

So yeah, I'm not gonna say which one I'd pick, but I am gonna say I love them both! ^_^
I don't know, Twilight Princess doesn't have that good of a plot in my opinion. You can actually see where all the script writers quit simultaneously.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Majora's Mask

Err, it's a really hard choice, I like almost all Zelda games equal. TP was really... "new" with the shadow creatures and a new enemy, Zant. I was pretty awestruck when I found out that not Zant, but Ganongorf was the 'big bad'. The game was a bit too easy, the battles and puzzles were easy, but don't forget, nintendo is aimed at 10-13 year olds mostly, who can still convince their moms to buy a wii (LIKE ME :bee:). Don't forget we also play Brawl.

Wind Waker was really a huge world, but there were just really empty/useless islands. The dungeons were really fun after the temple of the gods. I loved the earth and air temple, and Ganon's castle really had me thinking. I really dislike cel-shaded games though :/. They kind of ***** Link by giving him that head.
I'll just pick Majora's Mask because both Wind Waker and TP were average Zelda games compared to the first two.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'll just pick Majora's Mask because both Wind Waker and TP were average Zelda games compared to the first two.
Please don't tell me "the first two" are Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Of the 3D era, yes, but of the series, no.

Kantō

Smash Champion
i hope he meant first 3d zeldas. what was the first 2? the legend of zelda and the adventure of link right?

황미영

Smash Champion
i hope he meant first 3d zeldas. what was the first 2? the legend of zelda and the adventure of link right?
It sure was! And sadly, I never beat either... D:

I got to like the third dungeon in LoZ and in AoL the game was annoying but I got to the second temple. xD

Spire

III
BRoomer
Yes. Due to the generational gap between A Link to the Past/Link's Awakening and Ocarina of Time, many people assumed it was the first Zelda. The only reason I didn't was because I had read in an Electronic Gaming Monthly about "Zelda 64" when it was still beta (showing screens of Link obtaining the Triforce), and about how it was the first 3D game in the series. Not long after, I learned about LA and ALttP and how old the series actually was, but my play through OoT was still my introduction to the series.

Hmm.. I've never thought about it this way, but the first I ever saw of Zelda were the beta screens for OoT, most of which never made it into the final game, so my first Zelda was something that did not exist beyond printed images. I distinctly remember playing through OoT for the first time, completely forgetting about those beta screens. The game was that breathtaking.

황미영

Smash Champion
Yes. Due to the generational gap between A Link to the Past/Link's Awakening and Ocarina of Time, many people assumed it was the first Zelda. The only reason I didn't was because I had read in an Electronic Gaming Monthly about "Zelda 64" when it was still beta (showing screens of Link obtaining the Triforce), and about how it was the first 3D game in the series. Not long after, I learned about LA and ALttP and how old the series actually was, but my play through OoT was still my introduction to the series.

Hmm.. I've never thought about it this way, but the first I ever saw of Zelda were the beta screens for OoT, most of which never made it into the final game, so my first Zelda was something that did not exist beyond printed images. I distinctly remember playing through OoT for the first time, completely forgetting about those beta screens. The game was that breathtaking.
Really? How old were you at the time?

My first Zelda game was LA which was my younger brother's. I had seen ALttP tons of times at the mall. (Along with Earthbound for like 70 dollars! D:) But that was before I realized how great the series was. My first Zelda game that was mine was MM. Ever since I fell in love with the game and the antagonist.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Really? How old were you at the time?

My first Zelda game was LA which was my younger brother's. I had seen ALttP tons of times at the mall. (Along with Earthbound for like 70 dollars! D:) But that was before I realized how great the series was. My first Zelda game that was mine was MM. Ever since I fell in love with the game and the antagonist.
I was 8 when OoT came out, so I was about 6 or 7 when I saw the screens. I was a late Nintendo (and console) bloomer, being a computer gamer before that.

Kantō

Smash Champion
does any one remember seeing screens for twilight princess in a game informer magazine like a year before windwaker came out....,then windwaker came out and i was devistated that they turned into cell shading.

황미영

Smash Champion
does any one remember seeing screens for twilight princess in a game informer magazine like a year before windwaker came out....,then windwaker came out and i was devistated that they turned into cell shading.
I don't think TP was ever anounced when WW came out... If it did, could you send me a link?

Kantō

Smash Champion
it didnt say the words "twilight princess" in the magazine, but it was a couple of screens of link fighting Ganon in a sword fight with similar graphics as twilight princess

Spire

III
BRoomer
it didnt say the words "twilight princess" in the magazine, but it was a couple of screens of link fighting Ganon in a sword fight with similar graphics as twilight princess
Those were screens from the Spaceworld demo.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eEF9Utdu-L0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eEF9Utdu-L0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Judging from Link having the Hero's Shield from Majora's Mask, I'd say that this demo may have been developed with the idea of a sequel to MM where Link returns to Hyrule and properly ages and such.

황미영

Smash Champion
Oh, that! It was most likely just build some hype and showcase what Nintendo can do... Also, it wasn't in the style of TP it was the style of OoT.

Kantō

Smash Champion
yes!! that was it! i thought that **** was amazing when i first saw it! im glad someone knows about this too

황미영

Smash Champion
i wish they actually made that game .....
What exactly would it be? OoT2?! >w>; There is no way the games could tie in with each other.

Unless you wanna do a Castlevania Symphony of the Night thingy, where they start you off on the last level of Rondo of Blood as Richter and you have to fight Dracula. But instead it would be with the ending of OoT and continuing from there on to explain what happens during the time after Ganondorf is sealed.

황미영

Smash Champion
see i think that would be a kool idea, mabye im just lame ha
The whole SoTN idea? It would be, but then you wouldn't be playing as Link since he leaves back to the past. But it would be a great way to close the gap between WW and OoT depending on the timelines. xD

I also had a game idea for the whole Seal War thing. Where you could take the role as a soldier in the war, but with the introduction to the what three or four nights (I don't remember) in the Four Swords series I guess taking the role of one of the knights would be a lot better. xD

Kantō

Smash Champion
The whole SoTN idea? It would be, but then you wouldn't be playing as Link since he leaves back to the past. But it would be a great way to close the gap between WW and OoT depending on the timelines. xD

I also had a game idea for the whole Seal War thing. Where you could take the role as a soldier in the war, but with the introduction to the what three or four nights (I don't remember) in the Four Swords series I guess taking the role of one of the knights would be a lot better. xD
hell yea! you have some pretty good ideas, nintendo should hire you haha:chuckle:

Spire

III
BRoomer
What exactly would it be? OoT2?! >w>; There is no way the games could tie in with each other.

Unless you wanna do a Castlevania Symphony of the Night thingy, where they start you off on the last level of Rondo of Blood as Richter and you have to fight Dracula. But instead it would be with the ending of OoT and continuing from there on to explain what happens during the time after Ganondorf is sealed.
OoT2 is Majora's Mask. OoT3 would be a sequel to Majora's Mask where Link returns to Hyrule. In the Adult Timeline, there is no Link (as you've proven you know), so I can 99.9% assure you there will not be a game based between OoT and WW.

Kantō

Smash Champion
Arent all the zelda games considered to be a different time line? I know MM is pretty much a sequel to OoT, but do any of the other games even connect in any way?

Spire

III
BRoomer
Arent all the zelda games considered to be a different time line? I know MM is pretty much a sequel to OoT, but do any of the other games even connect in any way?
Yes, the games are connected. It's not currently known how they are officially connected aside from the obvious sequels and related titles. There are a number of arcs in the series and are as follows:

LoZ/AoL
ALttP
OoT/MM
OoS/OoA (also written as OoX, because they follow one another, but aren't designated as prequel/sequel)
WW/PH - ST (ST is based 100 years after PH)
TMC - FS - FSA (FSA is sometimes said to be a direct sequel to FS)
LA (this is usually placed after OoX as a direct sequel)

Refer to the timeline discussion thread for more details.

황미영

Smash Champion
OoT2 is Majora's Mask. OoT3 would be a sequel to Majora's Mask where Link returns to Hyrule. In the Adult Timeline, there is no Link (as you've proven you know), so I can 99.9% assure you there will not be a game based between OoT and WW.
I know, I just meant as in for the Adult Timeline. Sadly, I believe there isn't going to be one either... But it would be amazing if it went into more detail to explain what exactly happened. How exactly did Ganondorf escape and it would be pretty awesome if they showed the Goddesses flooding Hyrule.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Time for my 2 cents

Graphics- While the cartoony style of WW was nice, the graphics (overall) were more appealing in TP. Not much explanation needed here.

Music- This is a very, very hard choice for me to make. One aspect of every Zelda game that stands out above the others is definitely the music. I can remember sooo much music from both games, from random stuff like Makar's theme from WW to the music that plays after you defeat a boss in TP. This is a tie. They're both fantastic in this aspect.

Story- Although both were very good, I'm going to go with WW. Ganondorf played the best role in this game, and I felt the ending was a lot more powerful than the ending in TP. I also feel that WW had a more memorable storyline. In WW I knew the whole time I was trying to save Link's little sister Aryll (omg I still remember her name!) :), whereas in TP, I found myself wondering at the beginning "Who am I saving again? Oh yeah the girl who takes care of Epona." WW also had an insane plot twist. Finding out Tetra was Zelda freaked me out!

Characters- WW hands down. The characters are way more memorable than the few in TP. King of Red Lions, Makar, Medli, Tetra, the pirate gang, Aryll, etc. WW had the best cast of characters in any other Zelda game IMO. Only character that comes to mind in TP was Midna.

Controls/Gameplay- TP of course. I felt the Wii controls for the game were fantastic. The controls in WW were also solid, but I'd get bored out of my mind with WW's controls after playing through TP. The gameplay was more mast paced and energetic than in WW, especially with the horse riding. TP also had a wider variety of unique items.

Dungeons/Bosses- Once again TP hands down. As unique as some of the dungeons were in WW, I felt they were way too easy, but then again the ones in TP weren't much harder. The boss fights were also a lot less epic in scale when compared with the ones in TP.

Replay value- This goes to WW. After you beat TP once or twice, you don't have much reason to want to play through it again. I've personally played through the WW at least 4-5 times thanks to the nifty camera-thing that you take pictures with. I still haven't gotten all of the trophies yet! D: Oh yea, you aslo get to play as Link in his pajamas! :)

OVERALL- I'd say it's a tie. There are individual aspects that we love with each game. It all comes down to personal preference. My guess as to why WW is so popular in this thread is because you guys loved the story/characters much more than in TP. WW is a more memorable game. You can't deny that. But the TP fans loved the dungeons, graphics, and gameplay a lot more. TP was simply more fun than WW, and the darker mood is much more preferable than the light-hearted one in WW.

tl;dr: They're both amazing games, but I'm slightly leaning towards TP.

Realmz

Smash Apprentice
TP was better with everything connected to the the main plot. Everything you "had" to do was epic and engaging, but WW was better with side quests and exploring, although it had a very good story with it as well, on top of being charming. TP had better and harder dungeons/puzzles than WW in most cases, though WW had harder bosses in most cases (not all), although IMO TP had harder mini-bosses compared to WWs mini-bosses.

So, as a game, I think WW is more balanced than TP, thus being the better game as a whole, but TP having the better main story and adventure for the things you needed to do, on top of being epic. As a matter of fact, TP had the best linear gameplay path out of all the Zelda games so far, but its also almost completely linear, while the other games you could do alot more before getting back on track.

Anyone understand what I mean?

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Wind Waker seemed really unique to me. Unique in the sense that it took some leaps with not making the graphics as realistic as people expected. Though this angered a lot of people I really enjoyed WW because just about everything in it was fun. The only parts I didn't like were:

1. Sailing (Hey it was fun for...I don't know maybe an hour of gameplay but then I just couldn't wait until I could warp and not have to sail as much as I did)
2. Finding the Triforce Shards (took forever, and Tingle is greedy)

Twilight Princess in a sense looks better and feels more "player" friendly, but I didn't want it for a Wii Zelda game. The fact that they flipped the game itself, or "mirrored" if you will is really bizzare. They had to make Link right handed to suit the player? I'm probably wrong with that but that feels weird to me. I've always known Link as a lefty.

Dungeons were too easy too, and the Twilight world while you were a wolf was annoying...

I'm really a Zelda fan but I don't like TP very much, so I'm going to go with WW just because I had more fun playing it. That's strictly my opinion though and anyone can disagree with me haha.

...OoT is the best, then ALttP. : )

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
I must say, Twilight Princess was probably my least favorite Zelda game... ever. To me, every Zelda game I have ever played came with it's own personal atmosphere: It's own personal feeling, if you will, that you couldnt get in any other games. But when I played TP, I didnt get any feelings. It was as if it had no mojo! This may sound gross, but I just wasnt feeling Zelda like I was previously.

Perhaps I have been spoiled by the greatness of the four previous games. All of these games were trend-setters; these games broke the mold of Zelda games, and drastically changed gaming history forever. I think Twilight Princess was Miyamoto's idea of going back to the old roots: after the less than satisfactory fan reviews over Wind Waker, he probably felt as if he didnt need to set his sights too high and everyone would be happier if Zelda went back to the way it was before. And people were happy. But it brought nothing new to the table. The items were the same and the story was (basically) the same and the layout was the same. If you had decided to somehow hack OoT and have Link have the ability to turn into a wolf, the games would almost be the same.

It's like the weird angsty stepchild: You love him with all your heart, but you dont like him very much. Thats how I feel about TP. There is nothing wrong with the game, and I thoroughly enjoyed playing it... but it is like I'm playing a different game. A game with Link and Zelda, but it's not Link and Zelda.

Realmz

Smash Apprentice
TP was a a good game, but it would've been a great Zelda movie or anime. Everything it lacked is something that wouldn't be important in something like that, and the storyline was great IMO (Which I think is underrated a bit unfairly)

WW was a pretty amazing game though, since it had a pretty good plot itself, with great exploration and side quests (although its main quest was just a tad bit short), and better character development compared to OoT and TP.

Wuss

Smash Champion
I'm so happy you guys like WW cause I liked it a lot too, but my friends always complain about saying it was one of the worst. Good to know I'm not the only one.

I would say I liked WW a little bit more, because the dungeons in TP felt kind of repetitive and they weren't very fun. Also, the bosses we're pretty boring. WW just had a better, more believable and gripping atmosphere. TP was just really bland in my opinion. Still a fun game with lots to recommend it, just not the best zelda game.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I don't know about any of you, but the hunt for the triforce of courage was a huge turn-off for me in WW. In fact, I had played it constantly up that point, and then stopped playing it for months.

If it wasn't for that, I would say that it was too close to call. Wind Waker brought a whole bunch of 'new' to the table, while Twilight Princess simply took what we all loved and grown most emotionally attached to and tried to make it as epic as possible.

Twilight Princess suffered from having way too easy bosses, and Link had too many options in sword combat, allowing you to defeat enemies with ease. Wind Waker tended to have a harder difficulty, staying alive wise, but the puzzles were the same difficulty for both games.

Wind Waker also was boring when I had to travel across the ocean. The scenery looking exactly the same bored me. Twilight Princess had something unique around every nook and cranny.

Wind Waker had less main-quest missions and was a short game in general (if it were not for t-force hunting). Twilight Princess was almost all main-quest with very few side-quest missions at all, so you lose some of that explorable feeling in TP.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
TP=WW in most repects. TP had the ambiance... in EVERYTHING. WW had the bigger story and the better Ganon, though the final battle in both are REALLY easy. Dark Lord Ganondorf is >>>>> to the Ganondorf in WW though... DLG is just epic. too bad both games are pretty danged easy though. OoT was mad hard after playing WW and TP lol

7 years

Smash Rookie
I personally think Twilight Princess > Wind Waker

I don't really enjoy the art style Wind Waker uses.

D3m0nhunter719

Smash Cadet
Twilight Princess.
I'm sorry...I just loved it.
The only annoying part about it was playing as the wolf.
It was cool playing as the wolf on certain parts but it got old.

pitskeyblade

Smash Lord
Makin movies makin songs &amp; FIGHTIN ROUND THE W
Well, it's hard for me to decide. Both of the games have aspects that I loved. The graphics in TP were beautiful, but the graphics in WW were more fun. TP had those really cool techniques that Link could learn, and WW had all of these really adorable characters. So, I'm really undecided. I loved them both so much but for different reasons.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Well...

Both have fairly repetitive aspects (tears of light quests were DREADFUL, but the ToC quest in TWW could be pretty boring, too). However TWW had a pretty original plot. TP? No way. Look at it compared to FSA/LttP

3 levels and get the Master Sword (OoT and TWW do this, too, however).
Find the MS in the forest.
Go into a Dark World.
Turn into an animal when you go into the Dark World.
Lead to believe one enemy is the main boss (Agahnim/Zant) then find out Ganon is behind it.

It REALLY wasn't that original. Not enough character development (except for Midna, who was an annoying Mary Sue). Ganon felt like he came out of no-where and didn't belong. It was incredibly easy (although TWW was very easy, as well).

Then... there were the vines...

OMFG I HATE TP vines. Seriously it takes way too god **** long to climb vines in TP. I could rant about the stupidness of the vines for paragraphs (and I have on other forums), but I'll just leave it at this: THEY ARE STUPID AND TAKE TOO LONG AND ARE STUPID.

I'd say TWW was a better game even though it had its flaws..

MM, imo, was definitely the best in the series. It was moderately difficult, had an original plot, tons of character development, nothing very repetitive, original concepts throughout. It took what was awesome about OoT, and increased the difficulty, added more character development, more sidequests, and made it more original.

Top Bottom