• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wobbling Compromise

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I never knew about the Samus/Peach matchup. So maybe you're right. Cutting it down to 5 minutes instead of 6 is a bit much. But does this happen in other matchups as well (preferably regarding like the top 11 since they're usually the most common characters)? I heard Mewtwo vs Samus is a nightmare of a campfest, but that has less weight. Also, Ness vs Zelda with a 5 minute timer would be a very good thing. No one here has any idea how much of a stallfest that matchup is when both players want to win.
I really dont think that 5 minutes is nearly enough time. Idk if you are suggesting this, but there is no reason to have different timers for different MUs.

There are alot of MUs that could be a super camp fest depending on the determination of the players, and some that are just more campy in nature such as: m2 peach on DL, m2 puff, YL puff, YL peach, and fox/falco are notoriously good at camping even tho they dont need to.

Ideally, maybe there shouldnt be a timer (maybe not idk) but some ppl are *******s. But there are limitations on time, so 8 minutes is the max length ppl are willing to allow for 1 game.

If there arent alot of MUs that are that campy, especially in the top 11, then dont worry about it. Most likely the **** will not happen. If it does, you can just assume the players needed 8 minutes. There is still a stalling rule in place. You cant just waste time for no reason.

I really dont think that 5 minutes is nearly enough time. Idk if you are suggesting this, but there is no reason to have different timers for different MUs.
That's not what I had in mind. I'm against character-specific rules because it complicates stuff.

Ideally, maybe there shouldnt be a timer (maybe not idk) but some ppl are *******s. But there are limitations on time, so 8 minutes is the max length ppl are willing to allow for 1 game.
I just think 8 minutes is a bit much. That means on average it would take 2 minutes per stock. If all three games of the set are played, that's 24 minutes. I think 8 is a bit overdone. If the timer were cut down to 6 minutes, the set could potentially speed up by 6 minutes. But also, as time gets closer to zero, perhaps players would fight to get a solid lead instead of just a 1% lead, because if you mess up your 1%, you'll lose.

If there arent alot of MUs that are that campy, especially in the top 11, then dont worry about it. Most likely the **** will not happen. If it does, you can just assume the players needed 8 minutes. There is still a stalling rule in place. You cant just waste time for no reason.
Maybe. I think tournament sets should be able to be run in a timely manner, as in stallfests should be (more) limited.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I just think some of the longer MUs will be affected. yl m2 isn't really a camp fest, they just have to use projectiles to create openings. they "fight" the whole time, just kills take some time.

I minutes just gives that cushion.

also lmao, nobody goes for a 1% lead. ppl like being at least a whole stock up

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The True Wobbling Compromise

The Wobbler must make an honest attempt to initiate and keep going a conversation with the victim. Conversation can be about area of player origin, time player has spent in the competitive Melee scene, what his or her favorite alcoholic drink is, or any other not lame subjects. The player's failure to do this will be determined at the Tournament Organizer's discretion, and the punishment of which will also be granted at the Tournament Organizer's discretion, ranging from a warning to a game loss to complete disqualification from the tournament.
quoting for truth

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
@EPsi: If anything, I'd rather have 6 minutes. I like 8 minutes because it makes one stock = 2 minutes and 6 minutes means one stock = 1.5 minutes. It's just something that would irritate me if the stocks and minutes didn't seem divisible i.e. the use of 5 minute games.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
****... that actually sounds kinda difficult.
Yeah, I don't think I could physically do that... pressing "A" isn't the fastest thing ever for wobbling, but to do a pelvic thrust each time... I think Wobbles has solved a problem. Many problems, in fact:

1) Wobbling becomes harder to do.
2) Wobbling requires actual physical power.
2a) Due to the physical strength needed, Melee players will get exercise
3) The practice of a pelvic thrust will make Melee players more proficient with techskill in bed.
3a) Due to an increase in said techskill, Melee players will scoar moar gurls

by epsilon933 logic this would allow wobbling since it would make wobbling more difficult to perform
No. EPsilon933 logic is

if it's boring, it's banned.

Wobbling is boring.

If we add the pelvic thrust requirement

wobbling won't be boring

I now vote wobbling legal only with the pelvic thrust requirement

MaNg0 formatting is a bad addiction that keeps coming back

ahh

Dart!

Smash Master
i still don't get why this is an issue, i mean getting grabbed is my kryptonite but if it happens i ****ed up. i won't join this debate but if i did i'd lean more toward the compromise or even unbanned.

BUT the IC's have a good grab game without as well, so either way i think its going to be unbanned mostly.

please don't quote me but i felt necessary to at least spread my opinion because i love the compromise.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
@EPsi: If anything, I'd rather have 6 minutes. I like 8 minutes because it makes one stock = 2 minutes and 6 minutes means one stock = 1.5 minutes. It's just something that would irritate me if the stocks and minutes didn't seem divisible i.e. the use of 5 minute games.
that makes sense. in a 3 stock match which is common if time is running out. timer should be 6 minutes.

2 minutes a stock is perfect.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
I personally think that, practically, a 3:2 - minute:stock ratio would be the best. First off, 1.5 is a pretty cool number for each stock. It effectively brings the match's length to a maximum of 6 minutes. And 6 is the first digit in 69.

Secondly, games rarely go for the full 8 minutes. The only time this happens when people plank/stall/camp and do not want to really take any risk at all. Matches rarely go to 6 minutes in a normal match, too. Having the 3:2 ratio just makes it so that campy games are shorter and there's more of a rush to discourage that camping/stalling/planking.

However, this is Melee and not Brawl so anything can happen within those extra two minutes so you never know.

mhenlo

Smash Apprentice
I personally think that, practically, a 3:2 - minute:stock ratio would be the best. First off, 1.5 is a pretty cool number for each stock. It effectively brings the match's length to a maximum of 6 minutes. And 6 is the first digit in 69.

Secondly, games rarely go for the full 8 minutes. The only time this happens when people plank/stall/camp and do not want to really take any risk at all. Matches rarely go to 6 minutes in a normal match, too. Having the 3:2 ratio just makes it so that campy games are shorter and there's more of a rush to discourage that camping/stalling/planking.

However, this is Melee and not Brawl so anything can happen within those extra two minutes so you never know.
2 less min could encourage camping more because if you get a lead its easier to keep because they have less time for your opponent to catch up

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Well, if they aren't going to find a way to counter the camping within 6 minutes, they sure as heck aren't going to do it with two extra minutes, lol. They should have a method of countering the camping. If they don't, it's their loss whether they have those two minutes or not.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
With a 6 minute timer I bet a lot of matches with some combination of Peach/Samus/Marth/Jigglypuff would get pretty dumb on Dreamland. Those often go to 5 minutes and once you hit the 5 minute mark it's easy to run away for awhile for the clock to run out.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
we should not be trying to influence how people play.

the timer is there so that matches do actually end. it adds depth in that you can't camp when you are losing. also a time out should happen only if that is your goal.

8 gives players time to safely beat a camper.

since most matches don't go 6 its not a problem. ain't broke don't fix.

you are probably looking at a few matches being long resulting in like an extra ten minutes of tourney. but why risk those 5 matches not having enough time?

Merkuri

Smash Lord
we should not be trying to influence how people play.

the timer is there so that matches do actually end. it adds depth in that you can't camp when you are losing. also a time out should happen only if that is your goal.

8 gives players time to safely beat a camper.

since most matches don't go 6 its not a problem. ain't broke don't fix.

you are probably looking at a few matches being long resulting in like an extra ten minutes of tourney. but why risk those 5 matches not having enough time?
Well I think adding extra time would help. I've seen some matches where ***s time out their opponent and it really looked as if the match may have ended differently if there were more time. I really fail to see how standardizing a 10 minute timer could harm anything.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
Well I think adding extra time would help. I've seen some matches where ***s time out their opponent and it really looked as if the match may have ended differently if there were more time. I really fail to see how standardizing a 10 minute timer could harm anything.
Yesss I agree. If anyone should reconsider the time limit though its the brawlers, because our time limit is at 8 now because thats PLENTY of time, but however in a brawl match, its not that long, so they should make theirs twelve or something so timing out is not legitimate. Although I'm an ignorant melee player so they might actually like to time people out.

Top Bottom