• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wobbling Compromise

Ballistics

Smash Champion
It seems there are just as many people who are for as there are people who are against this controversial simple move, in order to make sure everyone's opinion is honored I think a compromise is in order. I happen to be pro-wobbling because I like the idea of domination. So let me throw my two cents in on the subject and then I'll propose a compromise. I know this subject is kind of beat to death, but I'm still seeing tournament hosts divide about this issue. Please reply with your own reasons why wobbling should be banned or legalized or how a compromise can be made. Ultimately the goal I have for this thread is to come up with a solution to replace the too often default ban of wobbling.

Here's why I think people want wobbling banned. For discussion purposes I think it is pertinent to compare the ice climbers to jigglypuff. Although Jigglypuff's rest is also a one move kill, I think that since it happens so fast, people don't mind dying from it. When they get wobbled, they have to watch as the other player slowly butters them up to their deaths and this inability to fight discourages and frustrates them. And don't get me wrong, I understand this and I have been wobbled many times and have also been frustrated by it.

But that frustration is not a legitimate reason to take away an advantage from the ice climbers. Impartiality and fairness should be the focus of rules not preference.

I believe the only legitimate argument against wobbling is that it can be used to stall a match, but stalling is frowned upon in melee and noone would attempt to do this anyway. This problem can be solved by putting a percentage limit on the wobble.

To further embellish on the rest - wobble metaphor, some would say that jiggs' rest is harder to accomplish than wobbling, however, this comes mostly from ignorant players that think wobbling can be achieved with any grab. In fact, wobbling is situational and can only be performed when nana is close at hand to popo, meaning that if you do get wobbled, you were either shield grabbed or grabbed while the ice climbers player was in his comfort zone. So ultimately you messed up somehow. Just as if you get rested its also your fault, because you either did a dash attack on the jigglypuff's shield or didn't DI an upthrow well or missed a tech etc.

Both moves are usually instant kills so if you ban wobbling for that reason you have to ban the rest move as well. They both take roughly the same amount of skill to pull off, or at least are both hard to set up, so you can't use the cheap argument. And the stalling argument can be nullified with a percentage limit.

But even though fairness should be the sole determinant of rules at a tournament, ultimately its up to the community. So I think every tournament host should poll the players on three options.

1) total ban; but be aware this opens doors to other move bans, now that you have started to ban non-glitch incorporating moves
2) no ban
3) a compromise where wobbling can only be done 30 percent at a time, since the strongest moves in melee usually deal 30 percent

In this way, wobbling would be no more powerful than a fully charged roy neutral b or any other strong move equivalent. I think this would appease ice climber players that feel inhibited at tournaments that ban wobbling while also eliminating the bitterness that players feel when they are being wobbled and feel helpless.

Since I have no polling power I'll just display a running total to get a better idea of the ratio of opinion

1) Ban:
Reneblade "Their grab game is fine without wobbling."
Lovage "Wobblings for noobs."
Joe_Sumo "Used to play with a guy who didnt even main ic's but would do pretty well on my falco just wobbling."
Vts "♪ Ban eventhough i main IC i see it as a cheap easy kill. ♪"
P.C.Jona "No one wants to play a wobbler."
Bones0 "If the ICs had an otherwise worthless grab game, I might say allow it."
The Good Doctor "Normal CG's end, at least sometime."
Mew 2 King "I hate wobblin."
Cjugs "Wobbling doesn't earn respect from me."
Rhan "Infinites are dumb."
Pr0ject "If its allowed, it'll be ABUSED so hard."
Vysor "I think the game already has enough broken techniques."
KrazyKnux "Ban wobbling, ban sheik's dthrow chaingrab."
Charlesz "Lovage and m2k are always right, they think wobbling is gay."
Vro "The IC's are viable without wobbling."
Jugfingers "I think banning wobbling is legit."
Devil Ray "Wobbling is slightly hard bc of the timing, but it's easier than wave-shining for sure."
BigD! "I'd rather freeze glitch was on above wobbling."
Niko45 "I don't want to watch IC dittos for grand finals of Pound 5, thanks."
D1 "Ban Wobbling 'Nuff Said ^_^."
a13c "ITS DUMB AND DOESNT TAKE THAT MUCH SKILL."
Wo1f "You can get hit with rest at low percents and live. You're basically dead if grabbed at 0%."
Tomacawk "Wobbling creates a massive skew in the skill level of mid to high (but not top) level players."
Smash Mac "Learn more grab de-sync combos like Chu Dat/Uber Ice if you want to be a good IC player."
Bob Money "The question is , is wobbling what we want to see and "play" against?"
Video Game Masta Ricky "Hats down to Uberice for not using wobbling in tournament."

2) Legal:
Wobbles the Phoenix "Come back to me when you win a tournament doing nothing but infinites."
PEEF! "Banning wobbling is one of the biggest mistakes in Melee history."
Fly Amanita "Why take away a tool that helps them cope with their flaws?"
Ballistics "The people who allow wobbling and blizzobbling will be training to never get grabbed."
Dekar173 "At high levels of play, I'd argue that it's not as big of an issue."
PB&J "Space better if u want to win."
Siglemic "Don't get grabbed kids."
PockyD "There's no reason to ban it aside from being 'boring' ."
SpiderBubble "If you get grabbed and wobbled, then you probably had it coming."
Kniht "It's important to learn to space your moves and avoid getting grabbed."
Gustav Wind "I can't think of a good enough argument for it to be banned."
Nintendude119 "Once money is put on the line, you play with as much bull**** as it takes to win."
BlisteringSpeed "IC's with wobbling aren't even a top tier character."
Insane Carzy Guy "Wobbling is totally needed vs peach it helps out much."
Kao Star "There is no reason to govern the game with rules that lie outside the game."
Brightside3684 "Remember when wobbling wasn't banned and IC's were dominating the meta-game?"
Chain Ace "Play 2 win, if its legal deal with it."
gm jack " No need to ban something if the character isn't ****** or even relying on the technique."
Strong Bad "You can ban stages, you can ban items, but you can't ban a specific combo."
X1-12 " IF YOU WANT WOBBLING BANNED, GO WIN TOURNAMENTS WITH IT TO PROVE YOUR POINT"
ToesRUs "As time progresses people will learn to dodge grabs and space better if wobbling is legalized."
Mastermoo420 "Local tourneys just need to man up and make it legal for the sake of the future of Melee."
Pengie "I don't see why wobbling should be banned when none of their other infinites are banned."
Hungry Box "Banning wobbling without banning rest or shine is silly."
Tee Aye Aye "Let ICs wobble peach at least :p"
John! "I think it's hilarious that we're nerfing a character that's not even top 5 in the game."
No Cash "banning it would make them much worse than legalizing it would make them better."
The Mana Lord "Where's any kind of evidence to support a ban besides people being *****es?"
Zone "I'm not a ice climber player, but I have to agree with wobbles."
Clonehat "I can see TOs continuing to ban it because of personal preference."
The Jesus "The pro-wobbling camp won me over."
The Unable Tea Table "ICs wouldn't even be top 3 with it legal, so there's no real reason to ban it."
Victra "Stalling ends up being the major factor here with wobbling, not with whether or not its an easy kill."
T-Block "Why are we taking something away from this character?"
Bengalz "So the argument isn't that its broken, but that its boring?"
Adumbrodeus "Seriously though, if wobbling made ICs the top char, I would eat my hat or something."
CA5H "There is not one reason to nerf the IC's."
Rathy Aro "I demand that jiggs be banned before wobbling."
Clone Hat "The problem is that although it's not broken, people will still ban it because it's 'gay'."
Atlus8 "I guess people still haven't manned up!"
1 Winged Angel "Pro wobbling because the ice climbers suck without it."
GunmasterLombardi " I've seen people like Wobbles lose plenty of matches, you just have to be careful."
Metal Reeper "I just think people need to stop whining and learn how to space."
Patrack "The only arguments put out against wobbling is that it looks boring and that it's "undeserved" damage."
MikeHaggarTHAKJB "Americans are so behind the times, still banning wobbling like a bunch of stupid scrubs."
Hax "The reason you guys are pro-ban is because it makes winning a tournament easier for you."
Rick_ "To be fair; In Brawl, when an Ice Climber grabs you, they Chaingrab you to death."
Taj "If Wobbling is so broken, why don't you pick up ICS?"
Ripple "People need to just learn to separate the ICs by grabbing them."
Cosmo! "Infinites aren't actually banned though."
Patrack "Since when do we ban things because characters "don't need it" or "doesn't take much skill."
Macman "Would people be against grab infinites if a really horrid character like ness, yoshi, or pichu had one?"
Puu "Saying that it should stay banned because the upcoming major tournaments have it banned is absurd. "
Everlasting Yahyuzz "The reason people are against it is that normally you always have an option to DO something ."
Dark Hart "Banning Wobbling is like banning shine-spiking."
Sean the Don "Make wobbling legal. Bring it on. Only good things can come from it."
Kirby Kaze "YOU CAN'T FIGHT BLOBBLING WOBBLING AND JABCANCELLOCKLING ALL AT ONCE"
Teczero "It can be annoying but really its not going to make results."
Kyu Puff "I'm fine with using other grab combos, but I kinda care now because I wanna blizzobble *****es."
Sheer Madness "I've been playing competitive smash in FL for like 5 years and have never been wobbled once."
Joeplicate "Wobbling: on!"
Rain(ame) "I already said I didn't care. Give them their Wobbling."
Andale "Im for wobbling tbo. But i think there really should be a compromise."
Eikelmann "It being legal would be interesting for the metagame and promote more diversity within the community"
Kirkq "I can't see how the community wants to ban something that makes a high tier character slightly more viable."
Mike Haggar THAKJB "I think gimps and chaingrabs lack entertainment. Lets ban those!"
EPsilon933 "Wobbling may be boring, but everything else they offer adds a very unique appeal to the metagame."

3) Compromise
Cjugs (If you mess up the wobble, just like a rest, the other player gets a free hit)
CableCho57 (The player who wobbles loses the right to ban a stage)
P.C.Jona (Wobbling allowed to a percent where you cant die from an fsmash or up smash)
Spam Arrows (Wobbling is allowed once per match)
Ballistics (30% Wobbling + attack)
Lunar (The damage cap is where you can survive on DL)
Kniht (Wobbling allowed to 150%, then the IC's must release opponent)
Epsilon933 (It should be legal until 200%)
Taj (When you are wobbled you get to pause quickly)
Andale (No wobbling first game, if ICs lose they can wobble next game)
Magus 420's infinite (headbutt blizzard wait headbutt blizzard wait... so on)

PEEF! 's great compromise:
THE GREAT WOBBLING COMPROMISE IS THIS:

1: The IC player may only use a semi-wobble of 5 tilts (lasts 2 or 3 seconds.)

2: The NON-IC player may not counterpick any non-neutral stage.
[/B] (Unless the IC player agrees of course.)

----------------------------

What the IC's lose: The ability to do a 0-death or low%-to-death wobble. The IC player must use only ESCAPEABLE, NON-INFINITE chaingrabs.

What the IC's gain: They may no longer be taken to a ******** stage to get timed out/projectile camped/whatever.

-----------------------------

What the NON-IC player loses: The ability to counterpick a wack stage like Brinstar or RC.

What the NON-IC player gains: The long-lasting, low% wobbles to death that are at the center of this controversy will be ILLEGAL.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
wobbling has been banned at many tournaments for a long time.

peef opening his giant mouth shouldnt change anything.

wobbling banned, fun for all.

Joe_Sumo

Smash Apprentice
failing to wobble is about as punishable as missing any other grab. a missed rest means death most of the time. wobbling is high reward for 0 risk whereas a rest one could argue is 50/50. and then if you rest too close to a spawn point, the repawning player can just kill you before you wake up

Ballistics

Smash Champion
wobbling has been banned at many tournaments for a long time.

peef opening his giant mouth shouldnt change anything.

wobbling banned, fun for all.
So if this were a poll 1 for wobbling 1 for not wobbling if you include me.

failing to wobble is about as punishable as missing any other grab. a missed rest means death most of the time. wobbling is high reward for 0 risk whereas a rest one could argue is 50/50. and then if you rest too close to a spawn point, the repawning player can just kill you before you wake up
Ah I didn't even think about this, you bring up a good point. So the rest is not equal to the wobble in reality. Would you say you subscribe to banning altogether or a some kind of compromise?

PB&J

Smash Hero
i dont wobble at all and i think it shoudnt be banned..dont get grabbed and u will. space better if u want to win

Joe_Sumo

Smash Apprentice
I'm a banner. used to play with a guy who didnt even main ic's but would do pretty well on my flaco just wobbling.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Wobbling beats low-mid level players without much work.

At high levels of play, I'd argue that it's not as big of an issue.

Vts

Smash Champion
♪ ban eventhough i main IC i see it as a cheap easy kill. ♪

♪ and if you know me i want my cheap easy kills to be legit like making my nana run off map to spike u :D ♪

cjugs

Smash Ace
Players who claim that grabs are not hard to get are not ignorant, shield grabbing is not hard and does not take equal skill of landing a rest not even close. So when a IC camps and then you attack and don't space it perfect you lose a stock. Situational? granted but if it's situational then how come i always see IC chain grabbing is dthrow dair situational as well? from what i have seen IC grabs don't look harder than other techniques in this game, the reason we don't see rest as much as wobbling is because 1 it's harder to setup most of the time and it is far more punishable and you are almost always allowed a free shot at jiggs if she gets it and you come back and if she misses you might be able to kill her. My comprmise would be if they missed a grab or you broke out of wobbling are we allowed a free shot? Either in the game or in real life? C JJJJJJJJJ PAWWWWWWNCH. just kidding.
note i have played 3 IC players and i have nothing against them in fact they are all real cool except peef jk. i'm not getting salty at IC mains but the characters should not have an option that they do.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
I'm a banner. used to play with a guy who didnt even main ic's but would do pretty well on my flaco just wobbling.
Its funny because I also just pretty much wobble when i play IC's

I agree.

♪ ban eventhough i main IC i see it as a cheap easy kill. ♪

♪ and if you know me i want my cheap easy kills to be legit like making my nana run off map to spike u :D ♪
I think its worth noticing that Uber Ice does not wobble out of honor as well and probably many other ice climber mains. But hey, money is money.

pockyD

Smash Legend
some foxes don't laser and run or pick crazy stages because of 'honor' either, but it doesn't invalidate the play of those who do

this has been argued to death; there is no real compromise, you're either for it or against it

Bones0

Smash Legend
If the ICs had an otherwise worthless grab game, I might say allow it, but they already have a bunch of different tricksies they can do with grabs that take much more skill than wobbling. I'd rather see an awesome IC player get a grab and do a bunch of crazy well-timed chain grab stuff and finish off with predicting a tech into a wavedash downsmash than an amazing IC get a grab and punch their opponent until they are high enough to smash attack out of a throw for a guaranteed kill.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386

If anything I'd say this is almost true. At the highest levels it is much worse. Good who deserve to move forward get taken out by 1 grab on any stage except sometimes not on brimstar. That is pretty god**** stupid imo. During the time it was unbanned I've seen players outmatch and out play IC's and still lose. It's just too gay.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
Players who claim that grabs are not hard to get are not ignorant, shield grabbing is not hard and does not take equal skill of landing a rest not even close. So when a IC camps and then you attack and don't space it perfect you lose a stock. Situational? granted but if it's situational then how come i always see IC chain grabbing is dthrow dair situational as well? from what i have seen IC grabs don't look harder than other techniques in this game, the reason we don't see rest as much as wobbling is because 1 it's harder to setup most of the time and it is far more punishable and you are almost always allowed a free shot at jiggs if she gets it and you come back and if she misses you might be able to kill her. My comprmise would be if they missed a grab or you broke out of wobbling are we allowed a free shot? Either in the game or in real life? C JJJJJJJJJ PAWWWWWWNCH. just kidding.
note i have played 3 IC players and i have nothing against them in fact they are all real cool except peef jk. i'm not getting salty at IC mains but the characters should not have an option that they do.
Interesting compromise, it would help close the gap of wobbling and resting that joe brought up. But its definitely much easier to miss a rest than miss a wobble.

wobbling shouldn't be banned, and 250% should be the limit

don't get grabbed kids
I agree.

some foxes don't laser and run or pick crazy stages because of 'honor' either, but it doesn't invalidate the play of those who do

this has been argued to death; there is no real compromise, you're either for it or against it
And which side is correct in your opinion?

pockyD

Smash Legend
If the ICs had an otherwise worthless grab game, I might say allow it, but they already have a bunch of different tricksies they can do with grabs that take much more skill than wobbling. I'd rather see an awesome IC player get a grab and do a bunch of crazy well-timed chain grab stuff and finish off with predicting a tech into a wavedash downsmash than an amazing IC get a grab and punch their opponent until they are high enough to smash attack out of a throw for a guaranteed kill.
I'd rather see falcos combo than shoot lasers

ban lasers!

And which side is correct in your opinion?
I'm very much for keeping/making wobbling legal

There's no reason to ban it aside from "boring", and there are many many things more boring than wobbling that should go first

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
that would work

but no

i say its up to the players

player agreement>rules

if one says no wobbling then no wobbling

if they both want it then w.e

they can be gay alone

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
There's no reason to ban it aside from "boring", and there are many many things more boring than wobbling that should go first
Like Brawl?

OOOOHHHHH SNAAAAAAP.

J/k.

Okay guys, let's walk through WHY something SHOULD be banned.

Let's say X is broken. It clearly dominates the metagame, and as long as somebody is decent at executing X, they win, hands down. The only counter is better X.

Let's say X degenerates gameplay. No, it's not broken, but the only way to beat it is with a single strategy that is completely dull and absolutely wrecks all fun the game had.

So is wobbling broken? Nope. Not really. They already do tons of damage from grabs, and there are plenty of ways to counter it, to stop it from getting set up, and as a last ditch resort you can mash like a maniac before it starts and you might get out anyways.

Does it degenerate gameplay? Sorry, but no again. You might say, "to avoid it you have to camp and play gay." So you weren't trying to avoid grabs and gimp Nana beforehand? You were just treating the IC as though they were every other character in the game when they clearly demand a different approach? You were running into grabs all day long and the reason you're mad now is because you die really hard from it? Sounds like you were playing wrong to begin with, and now you don't want to adapt.

"It punishes harder than anything else in the game." So what? There will always be a strongest punish.

"Grabs are easy." Against who? People who know how to fight ICs? I just played Tink in tournament and I lost Nana about five seconds after I respawned. Yeah, I could grab him with just Popo. Time to infinite! Oh wait. Oh boy, I grabbed Taj who can wiggle out before I do a headbutt even when he's at 60 percent. I shieldgrab Lucky and Zhu and Mango all day long. Easy mode. Guaranteed.

"It lets bad ICs win against people better than them." Again, against which people? Mango? M2K? I bet you money no IC that picks them up after practicing the infinite for 5 minutes is going to do jack against a player with IC practice. We want to make rules around people who aren't that great? Since when do we do that? Whatever happened to No Johns and getting better?

"The infinite is too easy." Compared to what? Astrophysics? Peach can get 60 percent off a single flick of the c-stick. Of course, the opponent has to make some dumb mistakes, like falling into range and holding down. Mistakes that are as bad as failing to take out Nana and wandering into the ICs mediocre grab range while failing to pressure their ultra slideyness that keeps them from shield grabbing half the f-tilts in the game. Again, tell me how easy it is to land this stuff on somebody who knows what they're doing against ICs. Four times each game, at least eight times during the whole set. Come back to me when you win a tournament doing nothing but infinites.

Guess what? You won't.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
what justifies a kill 100% of the time?

getting a grab? its ok to get a kill because you got a grab?

no its not. you arent special, your character isnt special.

we changed legal stages around (partly) because of fox infinite/maps are too in favor of a specific character. so because your character isn't the best it shouldnt have any restrictions? we ban jiggs stalling, falcon bans himself from winning matches cause hes too manly. marth has banned future metagame advancment cause his current comboes are too sexy, who wants to evolve.

no but seriously. you arent special. ban wobbling. their grab game is fine without wobbling. the best you can hope for when playing ic's and getting grabbed is eating a smash attack. if that isnt good enough, you suck and should play brawl.

Pi

Smash Hero
Wobbling is stupid & I lose respect for people who use it. But it's not broken.

Learning to avoid wobbling (getting grabbed in general) is something that will carry over in all of your matchups, you just get punished much harder in the IC matchup.

I think honestly that it's the feeling of not being able to control your character that gets to people. Like, they have you, they grabbed you, and you are completely in their control. At least with marth grabs you feel like you have some semblance of control because he releases you (fox/falco vs. marth).

It's important to learn to space your moves and avoid getting grabbed.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
wobbles...you invented wobbling

all im saying is

wobbling makes scrubs better

and thats stupid

people have to work to get better

but a scrub can learn how to wobble in a day

then get a few luck grabs and he beats good people

fair? hell no

wobbling should be allowed to a percent where you cant die from an fsmash or up smash.

i would agree with that.

that way they can atleast have a chance to bring it back

because once you get in the grab its a life

if we made it where grab is almost a life and around like 100% or whatever, but you wont die,

i would take it.

idk i think its a good idea

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
bro ive been posting like this since...

idk a long time ago

so..

how about YOU dont post

pockyD

Smash Legend
what justifies a kill 100% of the time?

getting a grab? its ok to get a kill because you got a grab?

no its not. you arent special, your character isnt special.

we changed legal stages around (partly) because of fox infinite/maps are too in favor of a specific character. so because your character isn't the best it shouldnt have any restrictions? we ban jiggs stalling, falcon bans himself from winning matches cause hes too manly. marth has banned future metagame advancment cause his current comboes are too sexy, who wants to evolve.

no but seriously. you arent special. ban wobbling. their grab game is fine without wobbling. the best you can hope for when playing ic's and getting grabbed is eating a smash attack. if that isnt good enough, you suck and should play brawl.
they ARE special. there's ****ing two of 'em

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
wobbling should be allowed to a percent where you cant die from an fsmash or up smash.

i would agree with that.

that way they can atleast have a chance to bring it back

because once you get in the grab its a life

if we made it where grab is almost a life and around like 100% or whatever, but you wont die,

i would take it.

idk i think its a good idea
also just incase you missed it

i say this is the closest thing to a compromise

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
If wobbling is allowed it should only be allowed once per match or something like that. Even if they lose the right to ban stages with the current rule sets for alot of tournaments they can still breeze by on wobbling alone. Honestly there is enough gay **** in the game already the last thing we need is bringing back 0-999% grabs.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Good Doctor: Fun fact, I was screwing up my infinites and I probably got at least 3 stocks per game without getting to land sync'ed grabs at all. You have no argument. Don't post without one. And don't say that PEEF's performance is a reason the infinite should be banned, because he took last place in the bracket.

Roneblaster: It's not really a question of whether the character is special or I'm special. It's a question of whether the technique is inherently broken. Prove to me that it is. Prove to me that it dominates the metagame and wrecks competitive play or degenerates it. It doesn't, by the way. And that 100% of grabs = KO is something people who know nothing about the ICs like to claim.

Although yes, the character DOES matter. If Marth had this we would ban it in a heartbeat, because incredible dash-dance + longest non-grapple grab range + grab infinite = absolutely unfair. If Sheik had it, we'd ban it. How situational and avoidable the technique is is based on the character who has it, and that in turn determines whether or not you can call it broken.

"Their grab game is fine without wobbling." I thought the character had nothing to do with it?

PC: So what? People who become overly reliant on the infinite get a boost in skill at the expense of predictability and the advance of other skills. Every time you practice one skill you do it in lieu of practicing another. Some skills are more worth practicing than others. So what if a bad player beats other bad players? Why do you care? What "good" people are you saying that some crummy scrub can beat? People who lose to an obvious and predictable tactic aren't good. Sorry.

Even if they lose the right to ban stages with the current rule sets for alot of tournaments they can still breeze by on wobbling alone.
I cannot begin to tell you how wrong this is. If somebody is "breezing by" you with this ONE technique and they're really as awful as you say they are, then

YOU.
ARE.
BAD.

Top Bottom