• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

S l o X

Smash Champion
;_; still love lupes music. wasn't a super fan so didn't know all about that side **** but his "friend" is right, i guess.

*****s need to make hits to be known and then they can go make some fall of rome **** (****in sex) he seems to cocky / hard headed at this pt. but hopefully he reads that ****

anywaysss puerto rican + costa rican = rican

Jane

Smash Hero
lol soap you look hella isreali i love it xD

also natti is a legit name haha, it is natt-E, or nah-ti?

vrael, someone else posted an epic *** mf grimm song, it was dope, but i wasnt really feelin that one you just posted

Underload

Lazy
vrael, someone else posted an epic *** mf grimm song, it was dope, but i wasnt really feelin that one you just posted
It's better when you're familiar with the song he's sampling. I personally really like Coldplay's debut, and I'm pretty sure Vrael's heard it too, so him and I enjoy the song.

Don't mind me, just a white boy music listener giving his white boy music opinions over here.

duyzee

Smash Cadet
anyone looking forward to Freddie Gibbs' Str8 Killa EP/No Filla?
cat is a beast.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I know the one I posted is kinda hard to get into. I like some slower less exciting stuff, and I like alt. rock so I really like Spies. Just like Underload said. I'm just a white guy too. I'll listen to any MF Grimm he's sick.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I've been really into MF Grimm lately, you guys like him.

If any of you guys like slower stuff or any alternative check this out:

MF Grimm and Coldplay - Spies

I really like that song.
Song was pretty good. Wikipedia'd MF Grimm; dude has had a seriously ****ed up life, wow. Pretty wild story. I'm actually now considering buying his comic book autobiography.

soap

Smash Hero
lol soap you look hella isreali i love it xD

also natti is a legit name haha, it is natt-E, or nah-ti?

i guess it would be nah-ti lol

prety much the same way bob says it lol (this song is clearly about my life :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDIXM7dP2C8

Jane

Smash Hero
that was tight, never heard of that guy tho.

also prog, i randomly watched some melee that you commentated, good stuff haha

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
I'm waiting on Cole's album and Lupe......**** cudi.....:) and lupe sounds like a b**** right now....

N9NE......what you doing listening to sage francis? lol. came outta left field with that to me, for some reason.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Song was pretty good. Wikipedia'd MF Grimm; dude has had a seriously ****ed up life, wow. Pretty wild story. I'm actually now considering buying his comic book autobiography.
Yeah man. You should check him out, he's great. I want to get a physical copy of his albums but I haven't seen one under 15 bucks and I'm not spending that much. Eh, I'm sure one will pop up.

soap

Smash Hero
you was ballin a minute ago, in it for dough, till it was yo i swear to god I didn't knooow

dmx needs to skip the country and drop albums from overseas

i miss him

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Yeah man. You should check him out, he's great. I want to get a physical copy of his albums but I haven't seen one under 15 bucks and I'm not spending that much. Eh, I'm sure one will pop up.
Yeah the album he made in 24 hours is actually pretty **** good. And I just ordered the graphic novel :grin:. Spies is growing on me now; it's a good song. Yeah I was checking out the prices and they are pretty steep. Doesn't matter, I don't need a physical copy, just a digital one. :)

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Yo.

Alright, so I need to talk about this.

There's been a lot of hate toward people such as Gucci Mane, Soulja Boy, Wacka Flocka Flame, Cali Swag District, New Boyz, Lil Wayne, Drake, Young Money, etc.

Now, I don't like any of these artists. Actually I can't listen to any of them. But I heard that one of my favorite artists, Talib Kweli, did a song with Gucci Mane a while ago. So by nature I wanted to dismiss it as another artist that used to be great to turning pop. But I know that Talib is really smart, so I looked up what he had to say.

This is an exact quote from Talib, responding to a critic of the Gucci Mane / Talib Kweli song that had leaked:

"I have been working on my new album, Prisoner Of Conscious since the summer began. It is a title I have had floating in my head for quite some time, but it is even more relevant right now. Hip Hop is like bipartisan politics these days. Everyone chooses sides and argues for the sake of the argument, not to actually achieve any clarity.

I am a man and an artist of the people. When I say that, I do not just mean people I agree with, people who understand me or people I can relate to. I mean the people in the truest sense of the term. This philosophy, although professed by many intellectuals, is lost on them. They would rather judge the masses as a foolish body, greatly in need of their intellectual musings. Any public figure who attracts a crowd of people should be examined, and if they are smart about their business they are to be respected. Respect transcends personal taste, you can and often should respect your enemy.

Now I don't know Mychal Smith, but what I do know is he is a blogger that follows me on Twitter, and I guess my decision to record with Gucci Mane bothered him enough to blog about it, declaring my move a part of the demise of the conscious rapper.

I offer a different take. I say people like Mychal Smith are every bit as caught up in the flashing lights as the "ignorant" masses they like to judge. Instead of celebrating it, they get joy from speaking against it. They truly believe not liking Gucci Mane makes them intellectually superior to say, some chic down south. They pay so much attention to what they perceive to be negative, based on a limited world view, that they miss the positive, even when it's right in their face.

The week the Gucci/Kweli record leaked, I performed at the Lupus fundraiser for the J Dilla Foundation, and also recorded a PSA about SB 1070. I performed with the Roots, Blitz the Ambassador, Bajah and the Dry Eye Crew at Prospect Park for Okay Africa. My kids were with me. I also performed at the Duck Down 15th anniversary party, and I recorded a song about the Age of Enlightenment to help NYC high school kids pass the regents for Fresh Prep. These are not high paying gigs, this is for the love. And this is one week of work.

I haven't even counted the fact that my release with Hi Tek, Revolutions Per Minute a month ago as well as Eardrum and Liberation, my last two, were packed with "conscious" hip hop. Even outside of my music, my life is that of a conscious community driven man. Somehow, doing a song with Gucci Mane erases all of this in some people's minds. Who are they to judge me? What do they do in their lives that is conscious? If you ain't doing more than me; you just blogging, fall back.

I'd be willing to bet Mychal Smith did not purchase my latest album. I know for sure he did not take into account my musical output or who I am as a person when he wrote his blog. To people like him, I am simply a character, a one dimensional celebrity, who is supposed to conform to his idea of what good art is, not my own.

Now to break down the pseudo intellectualism on display"

"Then Talib Kweli does a song with Gucci Mane and I'm forced to reevaluate everything I believe."- MS

Mr. Smith, my choice to do a song with Gucci is my choice. It doesn't force you to reevaluate anything. If it does, you should re-examine what your beliefs are based on.

"After Kweli co-signed Slim Thug's idiotic comments...and his assertion that people don't like Drake simply because he's successful..."-MS

Mr. Smith, go back and read my feed. Stating my opinion is not co-signing anything. When Slim Thug said dudes will make it rain before they pay a mortgage, that was a valid point. My point was that his valid points were overlooked because of the generalizations. As far as Drake, I know a dope MC when I hear one. Whether it pertains to you or not, there are certainly people who hate him because he is forced down their throats on radio, who would have loved him had they discovered his mixtapes years ago, as I did. When he shouts out Slum Village and Little Brother in songs and raps honestly about the pitfalls of stardom, I look at that as a victory for conscious music, not a problem.

Also, the BMF song is banging, by the way.

Mr. Smith is correct when he talks about the pitfalls of labeling yourself the conscious artist. If you listen to my records, I tried to distance myself from that label very early in my career. I would often go on about the positive influence artists like Jay-Z and Diddy had on me when underground journalists would try to get me to co-sign their personal hate. He is also correct when he says no artist wants to be in a box. But his understanding stops there because his is the perspective of an outsider. It is much more complicated when you are in this business actually doing it for a living. Just because I don't like labels doesn't make my music or my output any less responsible, and neither does a song with Gucci Mane. My track record speaks for itself. My last video was Ballad Of The Black Gold...

Common is from the south side of Chicago, like Lupe. Common been pimpin in his rhymes since his first album. Lupe was a thug rapper before the Lupe we know today. I'm from Brooklyn, NY. My music reflects it all, Brownsville and Park Slope. In Mychal Smith's view, the fact that I recorded Papers Please for Arizona and did a song with Gucci means I'm trying to be everything to everyone. No fam, I'm just being me. I'm sorry it makes your head explode that I actually might enjoy Gucci's music, but I do. I didn't do it for money, I did it because I wanted to. He is a dynamic artist that is serving his fan base well. I love music enough to be curious as to what our collaboration would sound like, and he did too. I didn't compromise my style or views on the song, and as a musician, it was fun (remember that, fun?).

Gucci Mane's fans need to hear my music for sure, and some of my fans could use a little Gucci in their lives. I am down for all my people, even the Gucci fans. Deal with it. As far as those who say, "well, he raps about drugs," if you take Tylenol or drink, then stop judging. For those who say I shouldn't do a song with him because he hit a woman on You Tube, well, I know conscious rappers that have hit women. They just aint on You Tube with it. People make mistakes, that's his karma to deal with. I wouldn't want someone to not record with me based on some of the f---ed up things I've done in life.

Mychal Smith seems to love hip hop, and love our people. But sometimes we, as a people, can be so blinded by what we perceive to be negative, that we forget to support the positive. If you are dismayed by the state of music, spend more time supporting the artists who actually try to change it instead tearing them down. The music will change, and as you get older, mainstream music will make less sense to you. Take the audience an artist is speaking to into account before you judge them. You may not be in their audience. One love.

Talib Kweli
I'd like everyone to read that, and re-read it.

Now, the end is particularly interesting.

"sometimes we, as a people, can be so blinded by what we perceive to be negative, that we forget to support the positive. If you are dismayed by the state of music, spend more time supporting the artists who actually try to change it instead tearing them down. The music will change, and as you get older, mainstream music will make less sense to you. Take the audience an artist is speaking to into account before you judge them."

I tend to criticize the artists as well for their terrible lyrics, annoying beats, and seemingly zero effort put into making music. However, Talib opened my eyes as not only an artist myself, but as a lover of Hip-Hop as a culture and a music.

Why do we have to hate different genres of music than the one(s) we love? Hip-Hop is about acceptance.

For example. I am a white, 14 year old male living in the wonderful city of Oakland, CA. There's a lot of racial tension here. But it's beautiful when I see a man (who is black, for the record) wearing a Souls of Mischief shirt, and we can start a conversation about Hip-Hop. We need to stop hating the mainstream. If we don't accept it as a form of music, then we won't ever be recognized as a culture or a viable form of poetry or music, as opposed to more popular genres of music such as Pop, Soul, etc.

I am annoyed that our music is recognized only as ridiculous people talking over an annoying beat. If people saw hip-hop as a group of music with many sub-genre's, many with lyrics and emotion extremely intelligent and poetic, as well as heart-felt.

In my opinion, Hip-Hop is in a state of war, against itself. A civil war if you will. The group that cherishes the underground and clever lyricists hate the mainstream, and vice-versa. We need to accept each group into the culture.

I still feel that Hip-Hop has to change back to how it was in the 90's, but who knows if it will? Hip-Hop is a form of music that is poetic as well as self-expressive, and it should be presented as exactly that. We don't need this arguing over things as ridiculous as lyrics. It's music, and it's meant to be enjoyed, and we as a culture should enjoy what we enjoy.

For example, I listen to 99% Hip-Hop. The other 1% is dedicated to songs of other genres that I truly enjoy, such as a song I heard today called "Doin' Time" by Sublime. The beat on the song is something I would consider absolutely and unbelievably dope, and I'm sure fellow fans of Jazz and Soul would enjoy it as much as I do. For those of you who want to try something new, click this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d23f92AMzr8

The point is, there's so much hate in the world, why not move as a culture to make the world more peaceful, with love? Human beings as a whole are so inclined to hate, for no decent reason. Show a little love.

And to anyone who likes Drake or Lil Wayne or any of the aforementioned artists, that is your taste in music and if you love it, you should keep listening. I prefer underground artists, but who am I to judge? We all are different, we all have different tastes. To anyone who likes Pop, Rock, or any other genre that i detest, I'm sorry if I offended you. I will change the title of the thread to "Hip-Hop: The Poetic Side".

Stop the hate.
- Me

Check out my thread: Hip-Hop: The Poetic Side, here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=272942

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
@ cookie whoa! Long post!

Let me wake up and I'll read it, funny you should mention it though:

http://twitter.com/mousebudden/statuses/19617729393

I read it, I don't know man. Talib can't just brush it off as exploring the genre and he has respect for Gucci. C'mon. Music is subjective, there's no doubt about that and people will have their own opinions on what is good. That said, Gucci's music is undeniably designed to cater to an audience that hold little interest in the craft of lyricism and just sheer mental stimulation. I'm struggling to avoid labelling it as ignorance but it's just that, it's undeniable. I don't listen to Talib but he's being a hypocrite by perpetuating a career dedicated to thought provoking material and then he jumps on a track with Gucci? It's just hypocrisy.

All the best to Gucci and his fans but let's not act like his music isn't what it is.

Btw if Joe hops on a track with Gucci I don't know what I'd do.

@Blu lol why did it surprise you

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Yeah the album he made in 24 hours is actually pretty **** good. And I just ordered the graphic novel :grin:. Spies is growing on me now; it's a good song. Yeah I was checking out the prices and they are pretty steep. Doesn't matter, I don't need a physical copy, just a digital one. :)
Downfall of Ibliys? That's one of my favorite albums. It's different from most of the other stuff I listen too but I like it a lot. I need to pick up the rest of his albums, but I want physical copies :mad:

I'm weird like that.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
hmmm i hate talib's music.....but he kinda has a point......but i already knew that :)

but common doing a song with Jonas Brothers is just unforgivable lol.

@N9NE: i dunno why. you just never mentioned any emo-like rappers before....aside from joe :)

Joe can't do a song with Gucci. He'd be a severe hypocrite for that.

"They got the nerve to not want to listen to Ras Kass
But **** with V.I.C, "Get Silly" and that trash"

......but if he did.....i'd still give it a listen, i suppose.

@DBK: there's only like one Fat Joe song i like....maybe just because Premier produced it and i like the chorus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc0PhAMs_CI <---click the link.

soap

Smash Hero
Instead of thinking it as talib dumbing down, u can think of it as gucci smartening up!

i think luda + justin bieber is worse than common + jonas brothers.

but i don't look down on them for their random collabos, they are spreading their music to different audiences.

i am not that audience as talib said

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
i haven't listened to the song but, unless gucci spits better than his current music, i doubt he's smartening up lol.

talib can do whatever collabs he wants; but i know he's not stupid. as opinionated and aggressive as hip-hop is, he can't do collabs with anyone and expect people to just accept it. he must really want to shed that "conscious rapper" role.

Top Bottom