• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Gucci being a conscious rapper?

I thought it was funny enough when at the BET Hip-Hop awards he was telling people not to drink and drive or carry guns or somehting.

Niko45

Smash Master
Also not a fan of Talib...

Rappers collabing with "pop" artists (you could consider Gucci a form of pop artist) often turn out to be incredibly nice imo. It would be a non-issue if Talib wasn't one of these "intelligent rap" preachers who has really isolated himself from being free to experiment like that.

There's a reason rap is different from spoken word/slam poetry. Its not a pure lyrical craft. It's just a part of many factors (swag included). Rappers like Talib (and also, after reading some of this topic, Lupe as well) seem to struggle with this concept.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I don't listen to Talib but he's being a hypocrite by perpetuating a career dedicated to thought provoking material and then he jumps on a track with Gucci? It's just hypocrisy.
How is that hypocrisy? He's not allowed to do non-conscious songs all of a sudden?

There's a reason rap is different from spoken word/slam poetry. Its not a pure lyrical craft. It's just a part of many factors (swag included). Rappers like Talib (and also, after reading some of this topic, Lupe as well) seem to struggle with this concept.
Well yes, but rapping essentially evolved from spoken word poetry, just noting that. Songs/poems like The Revolution Will Not Be Televised by Gil Scott Heron were instrumental in the development of rapping.

And yes, swag is a big part in hip hop. But one cannot discredit Talib's lyrical skill and importance in the history of hip hop simply because he doesn't boast as much.

Niko45

Smash Master
Well he's also just flat out not that good imo. Rhyme schemes are pretty basic and non-existent delivery. Sry for the hate but thats just my opinion.

It's not hard to be a great lyricist at all if you have complete disregard for rhythm, flow, and delivery.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Well he's also just flat out not that good imo. Rhyme schemes are pretty basic and non-existent delivery. Sry for the hate but thats just my opinion.

It's not hard to be a great lyricist at all if you have complete disregard for rhythm, flow, and delivery.
Ouch...
except he's pretty much right on there with lyrics, and its on time. His delivery is good too, ever listen to Train of Thought?
that whole album was amazing.

Niko45

Smash Master
Ouch...
except he's pretty much right on there with lyrics, and its on time. His delivery is good too, ever listen to Train of Thought?
that whole album was amazing.
Train of Thought has great beats. Hi-Tek is a totally different story. Personally I feel like Talib squandered a lot of Hi-Tek's best beats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U94Uaf31_yQ

Here's what happens when a great rapper jumps on Hi-Tek production...

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Train of Thought has great beats. Hi-Tek is a totally different story. Personally I feel like Talib squandered a lot of Hi-Tek's best beats.

well ghostface is dope of course.

but talib kweli is completely dope on those beats. for example:
Too Late

the rest of the album is dope too...

Niko45

Smash Master
well ghostface is dope of course.

but talib kweli is completely dope on those beats. for example:
Too Late

the rest of the album is dope too...
Starts going off beat at 0:53

I can't deal with that kind of stuff. Too each his own I guess.

Actually, really listening to this song, this is full of battle raps and blatant non-sequitors. Is this....Lil Wayne!?

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion

Well that's your opinion. I disagree on a lot of it, and so does the vast majority of the hip hop community. But I won't take it away from you since music is subjective.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
How is that hypocrisy? He's not allowed to do non-conscious songs all of a sudden?
You spend an entire career kicking knowledge, warning people of the pitfalls of society and then you collab with Gucci. Gucci is at odds with Talib's music. I'm the first to admit I'm not too familiar with Talib's work, but he comes across in the manner I described. It's hypocritical in my eyes.

And cookie, you're 14? Would have never guessed.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
You spend an entire career kicking knowledge, warning people of the pitfalls of society and then you collab with Gucci. Gucci is at odds with Talib's music. I'm the first to admit I'm not too familiar with Talib's work, but he comes across in the manner I described. It's hypocritical in my eyes.

yep. 14 turning 15. youth is only a state of body but not a state of mind you know?

Niko45

Smash Master

Not to mention his constant "hip hop is dead" and anti-mainstream themes. He's clearly a hypocrite.

Jane

Smash Hero
LOL COOKIEMONSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im so glad you had that, "epiphany" of sorts. like really, brings tear to my eye :'D

Boofy!

Smash Champion
you are wise beyond your years mr. cookie

edit: Top 3 are in a league of their own, but Blu3 is ****** this thread right now..

IAmBlu3 684
Jane 380
~N9NE~ 329
Matador 138
Luigitoilet 132
Suspect 131
cookieM0Nster 129
soap 121
Kingdom Come 100
KrazyGlue 95
McCloud 87
Boofy! 76
jugfingers 70
rhan 64
Vrael 64
`Jammin' Jobus 63
Niko45 59

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
**** I feel old.
me too. i felt relatively young until i flipped on basketball and seen dudes getting drafted to the nba that are younger than me.....kinda sucks hahaha.

i'm actually jealous that cookie's 14 and already venturing into hip-hop. i didn't really start until a little over 2 years ago >__>

Jane

Smash Hero
yeah, when i was 14, i wasnt really into music. my love for music didnt start until like... the middle of my sophomore year

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend

More Fish had some amazing producers. Mainly Madlib and Hi-Tek.

Oh I'm 15 btw, since we're discussing ages.

soap

Smash Hero
i've been posting alot recently. this is the only thread i check on here anymore

i got into hip hop halfway thru high school, but didn't start "digging in the crates" till like a couple years ago.

just turned 23

trying to think who i was listening to back in 03' 04'.... lol i remember doing pushups and **** to get rich or die tryin lmao. college dropout....actually kweli beatiful struggle was one of the first albums i bought too lol.

when i bought albums.

nostalgia is bad 4 u.

im gona go study now

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I try to go to record stores like twice a week, if not more. There's one not far from my house and one that I go to with my dad, both have pretty **** good selections.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
i've been posting alot recently. this is the only thread i check on here anymore

i got into hip hop halfway thru high school, but didn't start "digging in the crates" till like a couple years ago.

just turned 23

trying to think who i was listening to back in 03' 04'.... lol i remember doing pushups and **** to get rich or die tryin lmao. college dropout....actually kweli beatiful struggle was one of the first albums i bought too lol.

when i bought albums.

nostalgia is bad 4 u.

im gona go study now
yeah, this thread is the only reason i ever get on smashboards nowadays.

also, get rich or die trying >>>>>

the first album i bought.......was when i was thirteen........was a fuckin david banner cd....i regret it every day :cry:

Boofy!

Smash Champion
The first album i bought was limp bizkit "significant other" because of this song right here.. i was prolly about 10-11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyjG1Ocwsf8

looking back on this, it seems ahead of it's time, this song came out in 99' and it doesnt even feel that dated. If the song was released now it could still be popular. as opposed to some other artists/songs from that time who didn't age so well lol.. i <3 this song

i also remember buying a will smith CD for willenium or will2k or w/e it was..

rapeee =D

soap

Smash Hero
i remember watching a premier interview where he talks about not wanting to produce for limp bizkit but his record company forced them to meet.

then fred durst knew a bunch of his old joints or whatever and was basically sucking his **** and he agreed to do it

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
hahaha i walked into that smh. got you back though.

aye...everybody...post your facebook info. if you don't have any, cool, but if you do, don't be shy......then again, if i add everyone on here, i doubt i'll still be coming to smashboards anymore haha

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
My first album was Kid Rock's Devil Without a Cause. I still listen to it but only alone with headphones because it's kinda embarassing.

Then my second was Marshall Mathers LP, I'm proud to say.

Top Bottom