• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
Man, I enjoyed that Lupe on Flex! I wish more rappers went back to doin it like this instead of tryna impress the peeps with stuff that's already written. That was the true essence of Freestyle...

Master Slice

Smash Apprentice
who is cookie?
CookieMonster. He was another contributor. He and Kingdom Come were always in here and KC would always pick on him for the hell of it. Cookie was chill af.

if i was a wrestler in the WWF (or WWE, whatever) i would use this as my intro. lulz

chief keef - ft. lil reese - i don't like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WcRXJ4piHg
My brother in law to be is Justin 2 Fine. Btw did you check my cover of that?

Man, I enjoyed that Lupe on Flex! I wish more rappers went back to doin it like this instead of tryna impress the peeps with stuff that's already written. That was the true essence of Freestyle...
Dude Lupe is tha truf! But yea, I remember one freestyle a while back where he was like I don't have to use my blackberry. And everybody thought he was dissing Drake. I wish he would have gone all the way with it. But if Lupe ever got into beef it would have been the exact same as what happened with Common.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Follow me @TNixonNY

Followed everyone in here in return.

And what Lupe just did... I'ma check out his upcoming album again because of that; hopefully there's still a potential for a good record there.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Get an instagram and I'll follow you nuccas.

:phone:
I got both but don't use neither; just recently found the username to that Twitter again. Instagram I don't really use at all since I don't really take pictures or update social media much anymore.

After letting Life is Good and Channel Orange marinade a bit, I'm going to actually give an opinion, something I been holding off from doing since the releases.

Life is Good, I find this album to be a classic Nas album. I personally think that it's his 3rd best in line out of his albums (Lost Tapes included). I'd give it a good solid 9 give or take.

Channel Orange, Classic album to me as well; actually tempted to give it a 10. I really hope he continues with this material but this is extremely refreshing for R&B to say the very least.

I could go on, but.. laziness... a powerful, terrible vice.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
It gives females hope that they can edit their pictures to perfection.

I don't **** with Instagram forreal.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
I got both but don't use neither; just recently found the username to that Twitter again. Instagram I don't really use at all since I don't really take pictures or update social media much anymore.

After letting Life is Good and Channel Orange marinade a bit, I'm going to actually give an opinion, something I been holding off from doing since the releases.

Life is Good, I find this album to be a classic Nas album. I personally think that it's his 3rd best in line out of his albums (Lost Tapes included). I'd give it a good solid 9 give or take.

Channel Orange, Classic album to me as well; actually tempted to give it a 10. I really hope he continues with this material but this is extremely refreshing for R&B to say the very least.

I could go on, but.. laziness... a powerful, terrible vice.
I got it ranked as his 4th best just behind Stillmatic.

Channel Orange is....okay. I can see how it garners such acclaim simply because he's singing about topics that aren't, if ever, covered in r&b.....but, as far as replay value, I can only listen to maybe 3 tracks. I liked Pyramids but there's not justifiable reason as to why that track is 10 minutes....seriously. Could've easily cut it down to 5 to 6 minutes.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
I got it ranked as his 4th best just behind Stillmatic.

Channel Orange is....okay. I can see how it garners such acclaim simply because he's singing about topics that aren't, if ever, covered in r&b.....but, as far as replay value, I can only listen to maybe 3 tracks. I liked Pyramids but there's not justifiable reason as to why that track is 10 minutes....seriously. Could've easily cut it down to 5 to 6 minutes.
I just made a whole big post to this one and lost it. Well written and long. Sigh. Time to do it again and make this one even better I guess. Read at your own expense on time, ****s mad long.

As my list follows to just get a little bit of background for those who are outside looking in to this conversation:

Illmatic
It Was Written
Life Is Good
Stillmatic
Lost Tapes
God's Son
I Am
Street's Disciple
Hip Hop is Dead
Nastradamus

This is where I currently hold Nas's work from greatest to worst in quality. (I'm sorry if I'm starting a chain with this list by the way but he dropped an album so.. lol had to come up sometime)

Life Is Good > Stillmatic for me because of three factors:

- Stillmatic has more flawed tracks ex. Smokin' (The instrumental has so much to do with why I list it with the likes of these songs), Rule and Bravehearts Party. Three (two give or take) meanwhile Life is Good only has one deuce which we all know as Summer on Smash
- Life is Good's production is much better
- Also a more personal album than Stillmatic. Throughout the album the tracks coincide with the title of the album with multiple subject matters which keeps the interest alive. (Financial issues, failed marriage, reminiscing, finding peace and moving on) Every track pulls from his own personal endeavors. Even Summer On ***, which we can all agree is less than stellar, still coincided with some of Nas' own vices from the prior song World Is An Addiction (his vice of women). Even though it's supposed to be a fun track or whatever according to Swizz, it still has some type of presence or purpose to bring to the album in some type of way rather than it being just another ****ty track.

I just find the substance well though out, positive and actually has some food for thought out there rather than just good rhyming and bragging raps; can only go on for so long before that gets tired. But what impresses me with Nas is that even 10 albums and 20 years deep he's still able to put out material of this caliber and what's standing out to me right now too.

Although I can't forget the classics from Stillmatic which is like almost every other song lol. Ether, I'm the Man, One Mic, Rewind, What Goes Around, mad creativity and lyrical flexing on all those. Whereas Life is Good also has a lot of strong tracks to choose from, can start with the first 5 and you have excellence right there (minus Ricky).

All in all, yeah I prefer Life Is Good to Stillmatic, it's not by far though. Honestly, I hate to even be comparing these two albums after it was pointed out the first time that these two albums are conceptually in two completely different zones, was just replying to this.

Reason why I don't find it as good as It Was Written you might ask? I haven't really thought it over as much as I probably should have. But once again yeah, the good and bad about Nas here is that all his album sound different so I'd be comparing the theme of excellence to mafioso.

Channel Orange tho, I feel like he's getting all the credit that's due. R&B has been a slow and tired as **** genre for a while now and he's breathing some life into it. Not only is his storytelling entertaining, well structured and put together, but the sonic quality of this album is also undeniable. Definitely a classic to me and one of my favorites, he was the first for a few things with that record. And yeah as for replay value you'll find yourself wanting to listen to the album again rather than just listening to shuffled tracks I guess, for me it has tons of replay value. I'm not the type to listen to an album right after I just got done listening because I would like to let it breathe but both of these I can do no problem.

And ayo leave Pyramids alone lmfao that's my ****. It's like one of those highlights of the album to me like Runaway was to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. I love all the parts, just recently started liking the interlude at the end because like you did say, the song is long. I usually got tired of listening by then but now I'm all good.

*breathes*... **** you for not keeping text even if you leave the page for a ****ing minute, Smashboards. :awesome:

soap

Smash Hero
Ross was bringing the ignorant persona of the actual murderers. How they get into that position an all that. Really didn't like how his last bar was an advertisement for his album title tho. Mad tacky.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
I
Life Is Good > Stillmatic for me because of three factors:

- Stillmatic has more flawed tracks ex. Smokin' (The instrumental has so much to do with why I list it with the likes of these songs), Rule and Bravehearts Party. Three (two give or take) meanwhile Life is Good only has one deuce which we all know as Summer on Smash

Summer On Smash isn't the only skippable track on the album. Just like Bravehearts Party, it's in its own class of terrible. I can still skip Reach Out and You Wouldn't Understand. For some reason, I get the same vibe from Rule when I listen to these tracks: that gooey, positive bull****.

- Life is Good's production is much better

I can somewhat agree with this.

- Also a more personal album than Stillmatic. Throughout the album the tracks coincide with the title of the album with multiple subject matters which keeps the interest alive. (Financial issues, failed marriage, reminiscing, finding peace and moving on) Every track pulls from his own personal endeavors. Even Summer On ***, which we can all agree is less than stellar, still coincided with some of Nas' own vices from the prior song World Is An Addiction (his vice of women). Even though it's supposed to be a fun track or whatever according to Swizz, it still has some type of presence or purpose to bring to the album in some type of way rather than it being just another ****ty track.

Nah, nucca. Don't try and make that song sound deep lol. It's definitely a more personal album, I'll agree with that.

Although I can't forget the classics from Stillmatic which is like almost every other song lol. Ether, I'm the Man, One Mic, Rewind, What Goes Around, mad creativity and lyrical flexing on all those. Whereas Life is Good also has a lot of strong tracks to choose from, can start with the first 5 and you have excellence right there (minus Ricky).

Rick Ross had a good verse, son...My only problem with the song is....who the **** really relates to that track? I mean, sounds good and I like the lyrics, but at the end of the day, I'm not connecting with that ****. Should've been a free download track.

And yeah as for replay value you'll find yourself wanting to listen to the album again rather than just listening to shuffled tracks I guess. I'm not the type to listen to an album right after I just got done listening because I would like to let it breathe but both of these I can do no problem.

Nah, I ain't got that feeling. I get the full effect of an album listening to it through and through. No time for breathing.

And ayo leave Pyramids alone lmfao that's my ****. It's like one of those highlights of the album to me like Runaway was to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. I love all the parts, just recently started liking the interlude at the end because like you did say, the song is long. I usually got tired of listening by then but now I'm all good.

Lol you ain't said **** but some words, son. That track is still to long. Too much repetition, not enough change in dynamic.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Nas was painting pictures of actual accidental murders from his recollection, what was Ross contributing to that song and topic?
It's a hot flow and a good subversion of the first verse. Nas seems to be speaking from an omniscient narrator point of view, as if observing from afar, while Rick Ross' verse is in first person from someone in the story. Mostly it's a hot flow though.

That song is not a lyrical work of genius as it is, it's just a banger to me, that's why Rick Ross is a perfect fit.

Jane

Smash Hero
still havent downloaded life is good yet unfortunately. hopefully by sunday though.

anyways, i just want to share a random ye verse that i really like. its from celebration off of late registration. the first verse is like him flirting with girls at a party. its actually pretty well constructed. the second verse though, goes into why there actually is a celebration happening.

See you know my style; I'm very wild // and I vowed that my child will be well-endowed // like his daddy // and tell him that "yo momma had a fatty" he looked up at me said "daddy that's the reason why you had me?" Yup! // we was prACticin, til one day, yo *** bust through the packagin // you know what tho? You my favorite ACcident // so go 'head pop some cristal for my new born child, cuz now, yaoll, now what this is.. its a celebration *****es!

i might even have to say that celebration is my favorite song off of that album. but im not sure. theres quite a few top level songs on there for me.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Anybody actually gonna cop God Forgives, I Don't? I'm listening to Sixteen with Rozay and Andre 3000. Pretty smooth. A little long though. Guitar Solo at the end is kinda garbage. Isn't Andre supposed to play Jimmy Hendrix in a movie? Sounds like some simple **** I can play.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
@Blu

Summer On Smash isn't the only skippable track on the album. Just like Bravehearts Party, it's in its own class of terrible. I can still skip Reach Out and You Wouldn't Understand. For some reason, I get the same vibe from Rule when I listen to these tracks: that gooey, positive bull****.

I think you should give both those track a little more time to grow on you, did for me at first too. Even No Introduction and Bye Babe I had to get used to at first. First time hearing it it might not sound as good as the next few times, after that it was like it was meant to be (No Introduction and Bye Babe)

and Lmao own class of terrible? ***** lol

I listened to Summer On Smash a few times more...I like it.
But I agree with you still, there really wasn't an excuse for that track being on there especially with the 4 ending bonus tracks at the end. I think that ended up on the album because 'No Such Thing As White Jesus' got lost anyway.

Nah, nucca. Don't try and make that song sound deep lol. It's definitely a more personal album, I'll agree with that.
And nahhh don't worry I'm not, there's no defending that track; don't like the album THAT much to cover up that **** lol.

Rick Ross had a good verse, son...My only problem with the song is....who the **** really relates to that track? I mean, sounds good and I like the lyrics, but at the end of the day, I'm not connecting with that ****. Should've been a free download track.

He did have a pretty good verse but my problem was how Nas was sticking to a consistent theme through his verses, which Ross just completely neglects. Basically to me it sounds like Nas is telling a story and he just came in and just went on a random tangent.. And relating to it yeah... lol probably ain't gonna get too many people who relate to that cept for people who are, "About that life." I can connect with it because the song reminds me of the fake gang affiliates in school who talk a good one.

Nah, I ain't got that feeling. I get the full effect of an album listening to it through and through. No time for breathing.

I'd say let it grow and give him a chance since you didn't really care for him from the jump lol. But if you did need a break that's what some of the interludes are for..

Lol you ain't said **** but some words, son. That track is still to long. Too much repetition, not enough change in dynamic.

**** but some woorrrrrdsssss lmfaoo. That was just me giving my personal opinion on it mang, I think it's a pretty captivating song.

Ross was bringing the ignorant persona of the actual murderers. How they get into that position an all that. Really didn't like how his last bar was an advertisement for his album title tho. Mad tacky.

It's a hot flow and a good subversion of the first verse. Nas seems to be speaking from an omniscient narrator point of view, as if observing from afar, while Rick Ross' verse is in first person from someone in the story. Mostly it's a hot flow though.

That song is not a lyrical work of genius as it is, it's just a banger to me, that's why Rick Ross is a perfect fit.
And I can see your point here about the song; granted.

But I disagree, it was a good lyrical show.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
still havent downloaded life is good yet unfortunately. hopefully by sunday though.

anyways, i just want to share a random ye verse that i really like. its from celebration off of late registration. the first verse is like him flirting with girls at a party. its actually pretty well constructed. the second verse though, goes into why there actually is a celebration happening.

See you know my style; I'm very wild // and I vowed that my child will be well-endowed // like his daddy // and tell him that "yo momma had a fatty" he looked up at me said "daddy that's the reason why you had me?" Yup! // we was prACticin, til one day, yo *** bust through the packagin // you know what tho? You my favorite ACcident // so go 'head pop some cristal for my new born child, cuz now, yaoll, now what this is.. its a celebration *****es!

i might even have to say that celebration is my favorite song off of that album. but im not sure. theres quite a few top level songs on there for me.
Late, We Major, Gold Digger, Gone are my personal favorites.

Master Slice

Smash Apprentice
Pyramids is definitely a highlight of Channel Orange. I love the concept of comparing his cheating black queen Cleopatra of the Ancient Egyptians to a prostitute of present time who also goes by the name of Cleopatra. There are supposedly an underlying concept of how far the black women of society have fallen from grace but I don't look that deep into it. I can see if somebody were to say that, but that's not what I grab from the song. I love every minute of Pyramids. The way Frankie sings it, it feels like he has had a girl cheat on him. Which is a painful experience from what I hear. The story he lays out going from one era to another is amazing. It's a love triangle in the first part then a pimp who falls for his hoe in the second half. Frank really got into this one. The singing is on point and then he gets into his pimp **** and rapsings toward the end. It's crazy how everytime I hear this song I get the chills down my back dude reminds me of a Lupe or Nas on his storytelling game. I see it perfectly everytime. And I LOVE LOVE LOOOOOVE the techno style of the first half and then how it transitions to a more of zoned out chill mode type beat for the second half and then how John Mayer plays us out so smoothly on the guitar. For some reason everybody I know who has heard it likes the 2nd part better than the first. I like the 1st better. What's y'alls take on it?

I'm definitely hoping and praying that this one gets the video treatment.

And yes I'm totally late. Rick Ross was actually easy on my ears for once.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Would anybody in this thread be willing to call themselves a sneakerhead? I guess you could say it's part of the hip hop subculture but I haven't seen any threads and wondered if there's enough interest to start one.

Master Slice

Smash Apprentice
This dude wants to start beef with my team cause he said "She Blow Me, Nintendo" and I said that was the worst line I have ever heard. I told him I'm not gonna touch him cause he is underage and he called me a ***** and said I wasn't hood. I told him I never claimed to be hood. And he said the name Comic Book Superheroes is gay. I said your name is Stacey and you try to be hood that's kinda gay. He then said I suck at rapping because he hasn't heard me and said that when I was speaking to him I was using big words like unethical. Then they accused me of buying views by using u2bviews

Now here is my question is view exchange "Unethical"?

Jane

Smash Hero
loool, yeah pretty much that. i do enjoy a fine sneaker though and talking about them. but as of now, i've reprioritized my spending habits so i dont really buy many shoes anymore.

though a couple months ago i did cop a pair of really nice new balance running shoes for like $14 at a thrift store. but yeah. champagne tastes with koolaid money and all that hahaha

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
I'd have to say Fabolous. He has beasty punch lines...Killed the mixtape game. Appeals to more audiences and always consistent when it comes to making hit singles. His Mixtapes are all good to me. His Albums are even better. I bought all of his albums except for his Very First one. Also he is my second favorite rapper.

Cassidy use to be on my top 10. His punchlines were insane he had potential to stay relevant but his lack of creativity keeps him from excelling at his craft. He had a few decent joints and I personally have all 3 of his albums bought from retail stores. I remember buying his B.A.R.S. Album. I lived in PA back then. It came out the same day as Jay Z's Album "American Gangster". He did his thing in the Rap battles, especially when he slaughted Freeway with that Brenda Baby Line.

Papoose is creative when it comes to formatting a song. His punchlines are aggressive, he has clever ways of tellin a story, and he's constantly reinventing his flow. But when it comes to making Hit songs that many people can Vibe to he's horrible. He caters to the streets so that's exactly what kinda people would listen to his music. Peeps that'll bootleg him. I don't really like him and I can't stand to listen to his after a certain period of time...

My 2 cents...

Top Bottom