• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst part of Super Smash Bros 4? Game is out everywhere, go ape ****!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
And worst of all.....and the only real problem.

The Name. Super Smash Bros for(insert console name), REALLY?
It's a pun. Smash Bros. 4. Smash Bros. for 3DS / Wii U. It was either that or using another synonym for "fight" and then adding "3DS Edition" and "Wii U Edition" after it.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
It's a pun. Smash Bros. 4. Smash Bros. for 3DS / Wii U. It was either that or using another synonym for "fight" and then adding "3DS Edition" and "Wii U Edition" after it.
I would've preferred Super Smash Bros. U / Super Smash Bros. 3D. Still gets the point across and it's cleaner.

That's what I call it, anyway.

Khao

Smash Lord
I really wish the Gematsu leak never happened. I don't even care if comes true at this point, and I'll be satisfied wheter or not those characters get in or not. (though I don't especially like the idea of "Chorus Men" as a character even though I love Rhythm Heaven)

It was just way too divisive, both sides treat the other like useless dirt that refuses to accept facts and is uncapable of using logic, and discussions often fall down to namecalling rather than actual arguing, it gets kinda painful. Worst of all, you see it freaking everywhere. Lately, wherever there's talk about Smash Bros, sooner or later will the Gematsu leak come up, and I'm honestly sick of it, and I'm really hoping something happens soon that will finally be undeniable proof for it being either confirmed or deconfirmed. So yeah, real or not, it was kinda harmful to this community.

About the actual game? I've been generally super satisfied with what we've seen, characters especially.

If there's one thing I have to choose? Is the way they handled both online options, mainly the whole Time-only deal. Which wasn't explicitly said, but I can honestly say that if it does happen, I'll just never bother playing online with anyone, 'cause I simply don't like playing Time. Luckily, there's playing with friends, so it's not such a big deal, but it's still kinda lame. Also, Final Destination, why is it the only stage in For Glory when Battlefield is also ****ing great as a neutral stage? And something I don't see mentioned much, but why in the world is Final Destination not allowed in For Fun? That made even less sense to me. But like I said, can still play with friends, so as long as there's no connection issues and extreme lag, I won't mind.

Also, Link's SS alt looks dumb as ****.

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
Let's assume the Gematsu leak is true and the only remaining newcomers are Shulk, Chorus Men/Marshal and Chrom. For me, that's disappointing. How could long time fan favorites like Ridley, King K. Rool, Isaac, Mewtwo and Paper Mario not make the cut? I know that Little Mac, Mega Man and an AC rep have been long time favorites, but that's only 3. Kinda disappointing but w/e man give us the Dee.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
For me it's some of the Final Smashes. (I wanted Mario to have the biggest change with his)
Yeah, I really wanted more Final Smash changes. I guess that's why I'm kinda hoping there will be custom final smashes so we can choose, but if not then oh, well.

Let's assume the Gematsu leak is true
Let's not.

How could long time fan favorites like Ridley, King K. Rool, Isaac, Mewtwo and Paper Mario not make the cut?
Ridley? ...

...Enough said.

I would like K. Rool and Mewtwo, though. I've played a little bit of Golden Sun, but it's been a while, so I'm not very familiar with Isaac. Paper Mario could be pretty interesting, too.

D

Deleted member 245254

lmao. what the **** is this? go and look for yourself. yes he did. ive been pissed about it since the direct
Well he didn't say it in as "all but confirmed" a way as you implied but you're right, that was the general idea of what he said which does support your point.

In any case it doesn't really make that much of a difference in 1v1. It will certainly promote camping (especially if the time is 2 minutes).

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
1. Toon Link still being a clone, when he has MANY possibilities for a unique moveset. No I don't want to customize his moves to make him less of a clone, I want him to not be one.

2. Release date, f that.

3. Nintendo forcing the 3DS version on us first, knowing that if they released it at the same time as Wii U it would maybe sell 10 copies. Business is business.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Four words: Heroes, '06, Unleashed, Shadow.
So what? He has a lot of bad games but he is still an iconic video game character and fits into the Nintendo world very well. In Smash Bros specifically he has a unique play style and Nintendo and Sega's relationship is better then ever so him being in the game makes sense. Also if you are going to have the gaming icons all in one game (Mario, Sonic, Megaman and Pacman), leaving out Sonic would just be weird.

1. Toon Link still being a clone, when he has MANY possibilities for a unique moveset. No I don't want to customize his moves to make him less of a clone, I want him to not be one.
This.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
So what? He has a lot of bad games but he is still an iconic video game character and fits into the Nintendo world very well. In Smash Bros specifically he has a unique play style and Nintendo and Sega's relationship is better then ever so him being in the game makes sense. Also if you are going to have the gaming icons all in one game (Mario, Sonic, Megaman and Pacman), leaving out Sonic would just be weird.

This.
Well, that's just why some people don't want him. Those bad games have permanently tainted the character in their eyes.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Well, that's just why some people don't want him. Those bad games have permanently tainted the character in their eyes.
Eh. That might be it, but to me it seems more as if they just find the character straight up annoying and that's their basis for not wanting him. Well whatever then. He might of had a few really bad games, but just from the point of being an iconic video game character and having a connection to Nintendo, he still deserves to be in the game, in my opinion at least. If you don't want Sonic in Smash and hate the fact that he is in it, then too bad, deal with it :p

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Four words: Heroes, '06, Unleashed, Shadow.
More like '06 and MAYBE Shadow? Heroes was great and Unleashed was ****ING AMAZING.
I mean, modern Sonic haters are easy to spot, even though modern Sonic has only had like two bad games.
But anyway, Sonic's on Smash and the Blue Blur ain't going anywhere for the next installment, like it or not :troll:

I also love how people assume the worst by thinking For Glory will have time settings rather than stocks.

Oh, and another terrible thing about the game? Link's SS "costume". Apparently Sakurai can't do in two years what an amateur 3DSMax user can do in 5 minutes.

Last edited:

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I really wanted more Final Smash changes. I guess that's why I'm kinda hoping there will be custom final smashes so we can choose, but if not then oh, well.

Let's not.

Ridley? ...

...Enough said.

I would like K. Rool and Mewtwo, though. I've played a little bit of Golden Sun, but it's been a while, so I'm not very familiar with Isaac. Paper Mario could be pretty interesting, too.
Oh boy, the "2big" argument. I'm not even a fan of Ridley, but I think it's ridiculous he's not playable considering all the fan support he has.

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
1. the fact Wario hasht been confirmed
2. the name (Super Smash Bros Altercation anyone?)
3. The POTDs

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Oh boy, the "2big" argument. I'm not even a fan of Ridley, but I think it's ridiculous he's not playable considering all the fan support he has.
Hey, I didn't say anything about Ridley's size. I just let the picture speak for itself. If that's what you got out of the picture, then that's on you. And it's ridiculous that he's not playable due to a lot of fan support? Using that logic, Goku and Shrek should be playable characters.

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
Hey, I didn't say anything about Ridley's size. I just let the picture speak for itself. If that's what you got out of the picture, then that's on you. And it's ridiculous that he's not playable due to a lot of fan support? Using that logic, Goku and Shrek should be playable characters.
What the **** else am I supposed to get from that picture? Was it even necessary to say anything at all or are you just trying to be an asshole playing dumb here?

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
Mii Fighters and customizable movesets not being allowed online, kind of wasted potential, especially when looking at Palutena. Personally I think both of these should be allowed in For Fun mode. Sure you would run into the occasional Hitler, but I don't remember any problem over that in the past few Mii friendly games.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
The worst thing about Smash right now is indeed the lack of Villians.
As for Ridley, should you desire to discuss him head over to the Ridley thread. It isn't a fact that he is a terrible choice for playable character because that is pure opinion more than anything. And his tease is real, and ambigious, because that is a fact due to all the obscure references that clearly is hinted towards the discussion regarding him. Sakurai knows this, but I won't dabble in the matter more here.
Oh, and the Time Based Online Glory mode, damn.. It needs to be stocks :/

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
Partially, it's how people instantly assume that something is "confirmed" without any chance of anything being different of there being additional options for things to happen. Another part is all the character hate/overspeculation. WAY too many times I have seen people saying "Wii Fit Trainer/Villager/Rosalina/Pac-Man/Mii Fighters ruined smash!" Also, people hating on the game in general: "Sakurai really doesn't know what he's doing", "___ needs to be changed" and so forth.

The biggest part of this that I can't stand is people consistently persisting that this game is "Brawl2.0, Reskinned Brawl, Brawl with more ****ty characters, A Re-Skin on Brawl's Engine" and stuff of that sort. People assume they can tell everything about how the game works just by looking at screenshots and a bit of video. There is actually no way you can say that, because there is so much new content that even if it ran similar to Brawl, it would play totally different.

PLEASE, quit complaining!

I mean REALLY, the community's the worst thing about smash at this point

Oh yeah, and the Gematsu leak. Totally unnecessary community splitter. Oh, another problem caused by the community. Wonderful.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
The lack of final smash changes is just very disappointing.
I totally forgot this, so thanks for bringing that up;

Luigi got Poltergust, which is great(albeit there was nothing exactly wrong with Negative Zone, Luigi fans just wanted Poltergust in there somewhere) but seeing Link and Toon Link share the same FS, Zelda and Sheik doing likewise, and Mario and DK keep two of the least effective Final Smashes from Brawl was hugely disappointing.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
-3DS releasing before Wii U. Smash is a game you play with friends, booting up a new one with a bunch of friends together in one room on one TV is a blast. Some of my favorite memories from Brawl are from the first few days where we all got together a lot and played the hell out of it discovering all the new stuff together. I feel like that's gonna be lost on the 3DS version, It also means every one of us would have to buy the game on launch day to even try to get close to that experience. But it's just not as fun to all be in the same room playing together but staring at a little personal screen. I'll just tack on no worldwide release date on this too.

-People complaining that it isn't Melee 2.0. We've known it wasn't since the initial trailer, people act like it's bad after barely trying a still in production build of it just because it didn't feel like Melee. Give the game at least some time to, you know have an official release and be played in a setting where people can get into it deeper before saying it's just Brawl 2.0.

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
I'm liking everything so far. So happy with the amount of female representatives (like, 7?! Still counting on Daisy as a Peach alt ;)), alternative costumes, and just the general visuals.

I have not been disappointed yet.

Unless Lucas or Mewtwo isn't back.

Shinryuenjin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shinryuenjin
About the final smashes remaining the same:

Mario's seemed far more effective in the Best Buy demo than it was in Brawl. It's not so bad that its the same.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
About the final smashes remaining the same:

Mario's seemed far more effective in the Best Buy demo than it was in Brawl. It's not so bad that its the same.
What i'm mainly surprised about is that Sheik retained the Light Arrow despite being separated from Zelda

Croco

Smash Lord
Not all characters have new final smashes.. Mario and bowser especially. Bowser should have had his clown flying machine.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
What the **** else am I supposed to get from that picture? Was it even necessary to say anything at all or are you just trying to be an ******* playing dumb here?
He was one of the most memorable boss fights in Smash Bros Brawl.

With that said, I actually have a few qualms:
  • Believe it or not I dislike ZSS's design. They could have gone with something safer that wasn't heels. It has brought way too much controversy, something that I don't believe was as common in the other Smash Bros games.
  • Ridley: Just confirm him or de-confirm him. Let the wars come to an end.
  • Items: My favorite series of all time is the Legend of Zelda, I believe we have too many Zelda items. There are a ton of iconic items that aren't in the game from other series.
  • Custom Stages: No news from custom stages, this is making me upset since I remember making over 100 custom stages. (Deleting them for Brawl hacks was the most painful thing I ever had to do).
  • Toon Link: Not because he's still a clone, because his Final Smash is still the same. Also, some of Link's move have changed so he's less of a clone now. Plus the super different attributes in their respective moves is nice.
  • Lack of obscure characters: I learned about Fire Emblem, R.O.B., Earthbound, Ice Climbers, and many more from Smash Bros. I would love to see characters that I have never heard off. (I am hoping for the Choir Boys only because it would have been nice to find out about them without the leaks)
  • Complaints about the Wii Fit Trainer: Very personal one. I love the WFT because I used to be very chubby and used WFT to work out. Although it took forever, I lost pounds in a somewhat fun way and became very relaxed until I started doing actual work outs. I'm sure the Wii Fit Trainers changed a bunch of people's lives and I'm glad they got a chance to be considered a Nintendo All Stars.
  • Complaints about "Slots": They're not a real thing. The character roster is made before the game starts development. No one takes a slot, it's just stupid to think so.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Folks' cynicism. Seriously. No harm in this topic, absolutely - as I agree, even delicious pie has a burnt spot that not everyone loves.

There were a few spots of rust we could spot before Brawl came out - but I was here 7 years ago, and the energy was palpable and there was optimism from us nerds on the internet. The Dojo was such a well done well hype serving site that was a labor of love, and I think that's why everyone got let down harder.

I'm probably older than some of you and in the same age group as many others, disappointment in something special from your youth is a really really hard thing to cope with. Great expectations set you up for a big fall - but it's just entertainment folks.

I've lived through a lot of disappointments and a lot of media disappointments not limited to:
- Metallica
- Batman and Robin
- Final Fantasy 8 and well, beyond, really
- Star Wars
- Spider-Man 3
- Spider-Man, well, anything since 2007
- What happened to the Shining Series
- Up until recently being a San Francisco Giants fan
- Modern gaming as a grey gory whole building games almost exclusively antithetical to my tastes in the modern age

Here's what Super Smash Brawl was
- Not competitively viable
- Completely broken online
- Super long loading times
- Slow as molasses in almost all respects
- not filled with enough references to our almighty Lucifer
- Still a pretty good game for the Nintendo Wii that was fun with friends that just didn't have the legs we all hoped for, despite being filled with tons of Nintendo content.

And that's the thing - there's something special when you find a game that's as glorious and perpetual as Melee. At the height of my smashing, I was still like, kinda bad. My hyper competitive roommate usually won, but it was still a fun game that you could perpetually find the nuance and continually build your craft. I get it. Melee was better than Brawl. Brawl still wasn't a bad game, even if you only dusted off the wii once in a while to play it, instead of having it never leave the disk tray like Melee.

To cynically propose that Smash 4, a work in progress, is already doomed is just depressing. I would just argue for one thing - some people play Street Fighter 2, and some people play Street Fighter Alpha or Third Strike - there will be different ways to play, and from what I've seen, a metagame could easily open up, and develop differently than what we're used to. Simple is far from bad - without tripping and within tourney guidelines, you CAN build more in mindgames, more in the scope of what Smash 4 seems to be bringing to the table. Whether the community will fully embrace it, time will tell, and if it doesn't - that's fine, but the snide attitudes make everyone seem 7 years old.

Hyrule wasn't built in an effing day.

Otherwise the Yellow Devil. I hated that punk back in the NES days and I hate him now. I would like to press select over and over and watch him explode plz.

Last edited:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
Well he didn't say it in as "all but confirmed" a way as you implied but you're right, that was the general idea of what he said which does support your point.

In any case it doesn't really make that much of a difference in 1v1. It will certainly promote camping (especially if the time is 2 minutes).
it makes a 100% difference

D

Deleted member 245254

on what? how 1v1 3 stock is different than 2 minute time match?
Aside from the obvious fact that you felt needed to pointed out, yes.

The more skilled player will likely win either way.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
if you need elaborating on that and think it doesnt make much of a difference then you have never played smash before in your life

the two most likely scenarios in 2 minutes
first kill and letting the clock expire
both players kill each other once and it goes to sudden death to determine the winner

thats not fun, it proves nothing, and changes the entire game. the more skilled player is more likely to win in a non BS mode where both players have an equal amount of lives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom