• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Writing Workshop- Enter WWYP X!

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
Sorry I like abandoned this place and never returned >.>
I'm here now (and for a MUCH longer longer time).

Name: Garth
Height: 5'3 (5 feet and 3 inches tall)
Weight: 100 lbs
Eye Color: Black with light green pupils
Hair Color: Black
Distinguishing Features: His eyes are the first thing you see when you look at him, they seem to draw you in. He carries a longbow and a quiver full of arrows. He wears an archers outfit with a broad blue sash tied around his waist.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I hope that you have a very clear mental image of your character. If you want to go back and add more detail to your physical description, do so at any time. It's been a week, so now we're moving on to part 2.

Part 2: Give your character a personality.
The first step was to give your character an outside, now you're filling out the insides as well. Who is he? What does he do for work? How does he interact with people? Why does he act the way he does?

Make sure to go beyond the usual stereotypes of the "badass assassin" or "geeky virgin" or any of the hundreds of characters that have been crammed down our throats all of our lives. We are making characters, not caricatures. Think about yourself, and the people you know and how complex and unique they are. Real people have deep thoughts, conflicting interests, flaws and virtues both great and small. I'll say it again: we're building a PERSON, so make sure that your character's physical and mental descriptions are as thorough as possible so that you know exactly who you are dealing with.

Go beyond the questions I posed, both in this part of the assignment and the first part. Make your character as complete and fully realized as possible, because he will be key to future parts of this project.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
Name: Ethan Costello
Height: 5'9"
Weight: underweight, but not desperately so.
Eye Color: hazel
Hair Color: brown with some graying
Distinguishing Features: the hairline is beginning to recede, his beard appears not to have had a decent shave in a long time. Wears a dirty argyle-pattern sweater vest over a shirt with rolled-up sleeves. Almost always has a battered brief-case with him.
I've got a Film/Theater background, so I'm more used to implying a character's traits through action and dialog rather than expressing them blatantly. But if we're going to do this directly RPG style, then I can give it a go. The character of Ethan Costello was inspired by a monologue I wrote for a class recently, let's see what you think of him.

Costello is a novelist, he is currently writing a piece that he considers to be one of the best works of all time (let's face it, what author doesn't think highly of their own work?). His publisher keeps pressuring Ethan to finish his novel, which in turn drives him further and further into his work. When his publisher calls, Ethan always insists that he is almost done, and needs just another week. Tension between Costello and his publisher drive Ethan to work almost constantly on his novel, he sleeps little and eats less. He is married and has a young daughter, but his constant work has prevented him from seeing them for any satisfactory length of time.
Ethan Costello is a brilliant writer, but the line between genius and insanity is a blurry one at best, this character is driven straight through the clouded median, with no way of knowing where he comes out.

That's him, he's not quite as stereotypical as some others, but he is a good, sturdy, staple character for a psychologically driven story.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "RPG style". The idea here is to have a fully realized character before you put a single word down on paper, so that you have focus and direction as you move forward.

Also, what you've written here is a plot summary, not a character description. What does he think of all of this? How does he feel about it? All we know is that the pressure is constantly being ratcheted up on him, but we still have no idea as to how he's going to react to it. You've given us the story, now give us the character!

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
The sun fell. It providing nothing to it's viewer, a vagabond. At least the tree provided something to lean on. The vagabond had as many thanks to offer as there were leaves drooping from the oak. The man always sat on the east side of the tree, partly because of the knot offered on the other side but mostly because he felt betrayed by the sun. It orchestrated the chill of night and the heat of city life leaving the man hot-tempered by the cold shoulder offered by the world. No temptation there, after all, the knot would keep him up all night.

Very rough draft of scene depiction + character.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Name: Phil Selway
Height: 5'11
Weight: 150ish
Eye Color: Grey
Hair Color: brown dyed Blonde, gelled in a mess
Distinguishing Features: old black peacoat

Phil never went to college, worked in high school, and decided he didn't need more education and instead tried to get a job as a car salesman. He never even gets an interview, and so he starts to work several "hold-me-over" jobs until he can get something better, though as time goes on he starts to fear that nothing better will come. His best job so far was as a bar tender, though he was fired after being caught stealing alcohol during stocking. He lives in a small apartment, and at the moment works in a sporting goods store in a mall as a general retailer. Talking to him, you'd never get the sense that he was worried about anything, as he comes off as someone who loves what he has, though since high school he only kept a small group of friends, and never had a long relationship with a woman since his last one dumped him on prom. He views his current point in life is just him waiting to get to something better, though what that might be is a mystery to him, and he doesn't want anyone to tie him down. Is an on-and-off smoker, both tobacco and marijuana. Finds it unfair that he knows the things he enjoys now will hurt him later, and at times wishes there was no future so he wouldn't have to worry about it.

I designed the basics of that guy a while ago for a zombie story, though he was never fleshed out

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Eor definitely hit the nail on the head. I can see this man in my mind as I read his description, and he sounds like someone that most of us (if not everyone) know.

Skler

Smash Master
Name: John Harris
Height: 6'
Weight: 180 lbs.
Eye Color: Green
Hair Color: Light brown
Distinguishing features: A farmer's tan and a long face that fits his lean build.
Personality time. Strangely enough I feel like I was busier during break than I was in school. I blame gears and smash.

John is, first and foremost, an optimist. He believes that people are good though they don't always act that way and that good deeds are rewarded. An educated man, John dropped out of college junior year when his father died so he could take care of his mother. During his college career he studied environmental sciences, though he was unsure of what he would do outside of college. He has an interest in nature and wishes that people would take the time to appreciate what was given to them. Most of his time is spent working odd jobs for people in his neighborhood to help take care of his mother. There is little time for himself in John's life, but he is happy with what he has.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Personality time. Strangely enough I feel like I was busier during break than I was in school. I blame gears and smash.
No johns! :mad:

Good stuff though, this sounds like a person I would like to read more about.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I'm gonna try my hand at this. Sounds like an interesting writing project and I hope it improves my writing skills overall.

Name: Richard Parsons
Height: 5"8
Weight: 163
Eye Color: Green
Hair Color: Light Orange, Blond, straight
Distinguishing Features: Wears Glasses

Richard has lived his life fearing death. He's uncertain of an afterlife and fears once he, along with every other human dies that's it for them. He believes that once a person or animal dies they no longer have any thoughts; which is similiar as the image of time before a persons birth in the aspect of not knowing history or anything at all. Because of this fear Richard has always had a sharp ambition in medical science and wants to unravel as many medical mysteries as possible such as discovering the cure for cancer and diabetes. On a daily basis he works in a laboratory primarily in fear of death. Richards' not looking for fame or riches, but rather to cure and disease and illness so he can live as long as possibe (Hopefully forever.) He feels he can beat death through uncovering medical knowledge; however this belief drives him to insanity when his fear causes him to believe he can prevent the body from aging in the aspects of preventing weakening bones and failing muscles. Outside the lab Richard is too precautious. He won't travel by vehicle because he fears getting into a car crash. He uses sun screen during the day to avoid the suns rays. He's so paranoid of death in every way. He knows this isn't the best way to live but strongly believes that it's better to suffer trying to prevent death for a long, long period of time rather than accepting it and eventually no longer be a living organism. He had high hopes in an afterlife through Heaven or even Nirvana but there's no scientific evidence of these, only faith. This isn't good enough for Richard. He needs real statistics and real proof. As he gets older his rush to preserve life gets him more scared and insane as he gets closer to death.

Well, I rambled off about this character discription. Hope I got the idea of him across. Please critique anything wrong (Character development, grammer, mispelled words...etc.) Thanks once again for the writing project.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Hi, ghrur here, new to this. :)
So, here's step 1 as I gtg to sleep now:

A barren oak towers over the landscape. Silence reigns as a zephyr sweeps through. Not a single leaf is heard in the presence of winter. As the sun creeps below the horizon, dusk arrives in full bloom. Various colors of red and blue fill the skies with all their hues. Autumns end mixes with winter's delight.

:093:

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I'm a bit confused; do I still do step 1, or is that part no longer necessary?

I'll just make a character for now.

Name: Salvatore Basso
Height: 6"1
Weight: 206 pounds
Eye Color: Brown
Hair Color: Salt and pepper black
Distinguishing Features: Greying mustache, thick eyebrows

cman

Smash Ace
Oh sweet I totally want to get into this. Is WWYP the three assignments in the OP, or are they just for practice?

Edit- Nevermind, I didn't see the actual WWYP forum before. My apologies.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Well, I would like everyone who participates in this to take a shot at the next WWYP.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
NEW ASSIGNMENT

Design a protagonist for a story.

Name: Louis Larenz
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 179 lbs
Eye Color: Dark Brown
Distinguishing Features: Small ears; A long birthmark up the side of his leg; Permanent mark on chest (due to an infliction.)

-------------------------------------------

NEW ASSIGNMENT PART 2

Part 2: Give your character a personality.

Louis Larenz is a 20- year old with a goal. He attends Brown University as a Computer Science major. Always not wanting to "fit" into the general society, he pushes forward to earn his prized title: The Professional of Originality. He's not an over-achiever, but neither will he settle for the lesser, always pushing himself to do his best. He is also a kind spirit, generously giving advice to all in need. Even though his friends accredit him for it, he disregards the idea of perfection. Only few know his internal problems, spanning from the death of all his grandparents, divorce of his parents, and constant issues with holding such a powerful position, the keeper of many secrets. His thought process can lead to him thinking on the spot, and correcting a problem, but yet sometimes over-analytic behavior, messing things up more. On a lighter note, he enjoys hanging out and meeting many a people, playing basketball and running track, and is interested in video games. He has a girlfriend of 5 years, and of the same age, who he is planning to marry after finishing college.

Hope this is good enough =P

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Name: Harrison Williams
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 140 lbs
Eye Color: Dark Brown with a hint of red.
Distinguishing Features: Long dark hair partially covers his eyes. Long sideburns cover his ear. There's a small scare upon his left ear. He has long fingers, neither thin nor fat, but looks as those of a musician. His arms are thin, but his muscles are well toned. A bone juts out the side of his wrist giving the appearance of weakness. His hair spikes up, not unlike that of Sonic. Long-sleeved Tees and jeans are his usual wear.

Give personality later.

:093:

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
For everyone who has participated in this at some point, your assignment now is to participate in Write With Your Power X.

This thread can be used as a sounding board for ideas, to ask for help on a passage you're working on or a character you're developing, or whatever. After the contest has been concluded, we will analyze each other's entries at the pace of one a week. Good luck, and get writing!

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I support Virg supporting my support.

Well, looks like I'm going to be judging now, so I won't be able to offer anyone any help with their writing. However, I hope that you guys will help each other out and bounce ideas around. It is a competition, but remember that the goal is to make all of us better writers!

Top Bottom