• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

X or Y? - PT Social

Tesh

Smash Hero
toon link would body ivysaur im certain of it. he outcamps him and would gimp him with no trouble at all.

I'm hoping charizard patience will be enough to deal with projectiles but i know its best to focus soley on squirtle.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Ivysaur would definitely have a much better shot than Charizard would. Plus, you always have the option of not keeping out Ivysaur for that long. If need be, use Squirtle to get TL to KO %, switch to Ivysaur, get the KO, tank with Charizard as much as you can, then repeat. It'll be a little difficult to pull off but that's the way I'd do it. Reflex may have a better solution, but the key is definitely to start Squirtle.

Tesh

Smash Hero
toon link is one slippery mofo , ivysaur has trouble landing kill moves, even if powerful. At least zard has a killer bair and rock smash can randomly beat anything.

any good concept matches i can look at? reflex ever play mjg?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Go look in our video thread. There should be something there. Even if it's not a video of Reflex playing, there's bound to be videos of one of us playing a TL.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
toon link is one slippery mofo , ivysaur has trouble landing kill moves, even if powerful. At least zard has a killer bair and rock smash can randomly beat anything.

I played him a couple times. It did not go so well, mostly because Toon Link can move away with impunity against Ivysaur and Charizard, and he has the range advantage against Squirtle. I don't recommend trying to do this matchup, as fatigue is a big issue against him.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Probably because it is.

Maybe because you play Pikachu, and it makes an electric noise.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I played him a couple times. It did not go so well, mostly because Toon Link can move away with impunity against Ivysaur and Charizard, and he has the range advantage against Squirtle. I don't recommend trying to do this matchup, as fatigue is a big issue against him.
But last I hear, MJG is free now and he's supposed to be our best TL. :awesome:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Whhiiisshh-psshheee! Whip it!

I hope SSB4 has better balance. I wish they'd release official info on SSB4, Zelda and Metroid for the Wii U. But considering how Brawl was held back twice, it's smart of them to have a solid foundation before spilling info :/

Myollnir

Smash Ace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-5NEV6XQo4 is the only one I can think of.

I'm don't particulary hate this matchup but I've never faced a TL player of my level. However, one of my friends mains TL so I have a bit of experience against him (even though I'm better and I don't play him very often).

Anyway :

Walk a lot with Squirtle to approach, once you're in, don't let him escape, try to put him offstage. If you drop off the ledge and invinci B-air, you'll totally **** his UpB. His D-air can be annoying when juggling but you can react to it. But seriously, walking against characters that have a good projectile is the key (and make sure you always react to his projectiles and not always shield when you think he's going to throw his projectile at you, because if you do so he can grab you or poke your shield with no problem). So yeah, walk & react. :p
Squirtle's f-tilt is really good because he has a slow grab, and his ranged attacks are pretty slow (on the ground).
Kill with D-air/F-air offstage and D-Throw on stage.

All I know about Ivysaur is that he is pretty terrible against him, but as always if you get good reads you can beat him. Learn his pattern with teh projectiles. B-air is the best way to get through his projectile wall.

Charizard does a bit better than Ivysaur, but you need to give him a specific role : tank the stock. As Bomber said, if you can, start your stock as Squirtle, rack up damage, d-throw + switch (or zero switch) before you're fatigued, get the KO with Ivysaur (F-air, DA, U-Throw, U-air and F-Smash to outprioritize a projectile and hit TL. They're all good at ~150%), if you think you can't, switch. Then you're playing as Charizard. His role? Kill the TL and make sure you rack up as much damage as you can after that (most likely with grabs). TL's grab is bad so you can shield all day, if you can spotdodge a grab, it's a free SH SideB + U-Smash. If you get the kill and you need to refresh Squirtle, you can choose not to approach. Beat his projectiles with Jab/FT or Shield for the bombs. Or plank if you need to, but I wouldn't recommand it if you think it can go to time.

@T-Block : :laugh: I don't know that sound you're talking about since I haven't got PM.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Whhiiisshh-psshheee! Whip it!

I hope SSB4 has better balance. I wish they'd release official info on SSB4, Zelda and Metroid for the Wii U. But considering how Brawl was held back twice, it's smart of them to have a solid foundation before spilling info :/
balanced fighting games? lol, only in fairytales mate.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Haha okay, sorry. I'm not familiar with the namesearch system.

@T-Block : I like both sounds tbh. I really like the electric sound, but the PM sound is cool too!

Rizen

Smash Legend
I like electric myself. Doesn't sweet vine count as an electric attack? I need to use vine whip as an attack more.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I like electric myself. Doesn't sweet vine count as an electric attack? I need to use vine whip as an attack more.
No, it doesn't; otherwise, people would be put in much more hitlag, like most of the other electric attacks. I think the hitlag thing is part of the element.

Up-B is also super effective against Squirtle and not very effective against Charizard, so it's definitely considered Grass by the game.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
No matter how bad im playing or how free I become, ill never be as bad as you :bee:
I know, and if you ever do become as bad as me, I'm driving to your house and I will beat you over the a boomerang, then I will shove a bomb down your throat. That sir, is a promise.

T-block

B2B TST
No, it doesn't; otherwise, people would be put in much more hitlag, like most of the other electric attacks. I think the hitlag thing is part of the element.

Up-B is also super effective against Squirtle and not very effective against Charizard, so it's definitely considered Grass by the game.
yep, additional hitlag is a property of electric type moves. can't recall if it's 1.5x or 2x, but it's one of the two.

I know, and if you ever do become as bad as me, I'm driving to your house and I will beat you over the a boomerang, then I will shove a bomb down your throat. That sir, is a promise.
well that's kinda morbid ._.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
So Myo and I have been testing stuff out on wifi and we've made these discoveries.

You CAN grab MK out of his tornado.

Squirtle: If MK is on top of you, you can grab him out of his tornado. I haven't quite figured out the timing yet but it is possible.

Ivysaur: If MK is dumb enough to come approach you with it, then you can grab him. Though he can't be on top of you because Ivy's grab comes out too slow.

Charizard: We weren't able to get Charizard to grab MK, but I still think it's possible; Zard will need more testing.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You won't be able to grab a competent Meta Knight out of Mach Tornado with Ivysaur. The hitboxes are just too low. He'll stay higher than the ground.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Keep in mind, this is just something you can do in the event to opportunity presents itself. It's good to know all our options for any situation. I will admit, Ivysaur's grab is more situational than Squirtle, but it doesn't discredit that it should be used when see fit.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
If you crouch, the MK will be forced to do a low tornado (works with any character).

If you're on a slope, Ivy will grab higher, which enables you to easily grab (or jab/F-smash) a nado.

We also found that we had an air release to U-air on Jigglypuff with Squirtle (works onstage and at the edge of the stage, like after an hydrograb).

We couldn't test the releases I was speaking of (on MK) because I wasn't able to pull them off on wifi (you need to buffer the dash and then SCSG, which is pretty difficult). I couldn't even hit with F-air (buffering a dash is impossible on wifi), so I still don't know if it's guaranteed (I'm 90% sure it is), so I'll try offline if I can find someone to test to help me.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Seeing that Red is my favorite color, I wouldn't mind having it. Although when the tournament organizer tit was still around, I grew fond of my dark blue. Also having that dark grey name like the admins have would be cool too.

Top Bottom