• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YGD - As the snow melts, the mighty Dinosaur rises once more!

Best Yoshi Attack

• Total voters

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member

Sharky

Smash Master
watched about half the videos so far, I'm gonna make some comments later, as well as some possible ideas that I haven't seen yet relating to samus near the ledge.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
I have some ideas about what to do after watching them. The thing about me and Xyro is usually one of us will win, and then the other does something new in the next encounter and wins, and it goes back and forth. Xyro really stepped up his game though. Usually we go about even, but he just destroyed me this time. I don't know if he watched our old videos and studied them or if he finally just figured me out or what. Regardless, he outplayed me and Polt and he deserved to beat us. I'll get him next time though =)

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Ledge grab limit isn't in effect for any character other than MK at Hobos, so even if he does it 200 times, it won't make any difference.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Heh, honestly, I don't think I have to worry about any Samus player other than Xyro, but I'll keep it in mind.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I played soooooo bad at this HOBO. :laugh:

But it's fine. I just have to stop being stupid in my matches. I mean, just look at my matches vs. Xyro for LT grand finals. That was probably the pinnacle of my stupidity that day. I got gimped like... 8 times or something?

Better start taking things seriously for MLG this weekend. I can't afford to be stupid over there for a moment. I remember how nervous I was during my first match vs. Fino at MLG Orlando (the one I lost), but then I 4-0ed him during the rematch later because I shook it off. I'm just going to relax and play to the best of my ability.

By the way, I had a dream that I placed in the top 16 in MLG. Will that dream come true? =O

:069:

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
So now there are 2 MK specific rules? How dumb.
I've honestly never seen anyone at a Hobo use the ledge-grab rule. Lee and Gnes timed out one time in like winners finals and everyone knows that Lee exceeded the ledge limit, but Gnes didn't enforce it; he just came back and won the next game, heh. Plus, the ledge grab limit only applies to games that time out.

Judo777

Smash Master
I've honestly never seen anyone at a Hobo use the ledge-grab rule. Lee and Gnes timed out one time in like winners finals and everyone knows that Lee exceeded the ledge limit, but Gnes didn't enforce it; he just came back and won the next game, heh. Plus, the ledge grab limit only applies to games that time out.
its a stupid rule. If u have to make rules to keep the character then ban him.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Not utah, we dont have a limit.
What the hell is a "utah"

Then that was his fault. Play to win.

Also, while it does only apply to a game that goes to time, if I know my opponent has gone over the LGL, then you can bet your *** I'm never approaching and am going to run my *** off until the timer hits 0.

This.

Sharky

Smash Master
Also, while it does only apply to a game that goes to time, if I know my opponent has gone over the LGL, then you can bet your *** I'm never approaching and am going to run my *** off until the timer hits 0.

I tried doing this back in september but he killed himself with 12 seconds left by missing the ledge grab that would have put him over the LGL =(

D

Deleted member

Why?
Why not limit the character so that people who spent a lot of time with the character dont get gayed.

Not that i dont think MK should be banned, but why not put slight limitations on him like that, instead of nerfing characters that dont need to be nerfed as well as MK (who the rule is targeted at). If you are gonna target a rule at something, make it only apply to the something

Judo777

Smash Master
Why?
Why not limit the character so that people who spent a lot of time with the character dont get gayed.

Not that i dont think MK should be banned, but why not put slight limitations on him like that, instead of nerfing characters that dont need to be nerfed as well as MK (who the rule is targeted at). If you are gonna target a rule at something, make it only apply to the something
Because adding in rules to keep a character in is stupid. They didn't put akuma back in ST and limit his air fireballs. If a character has something thats needs to be fixed then ban the character instead of making a rule just for him.

Btw universal ledge grab limits are even dumber.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Should we ban ICs and D3 too? I mean we put specific rules in place for them too so why not ban them?

Also pretty sure theres a melee rule in place for jiggz. Why don't we ban Jiggz?

D

Deleted member

Because adding in rules to keep a character in is stupid. They didn't put akuma back in ST and limit his air fireballs. If a character has something thats needs to be fixed then ban the character instead of making a rule just for him.

Btw universal ledge grab limits are even dumber.
You cant limit a move like that in SF, doesnt work that well. Works perfectly fine for MK.
Stop being a lil whiner.

Airborne

Smash Lord
You cant limit a move like that in SF, doesnt work that well. Works perfectly fine for MK.
Stop being a lil whiner.
We're the only fighting game community that bans things that can be done mid-match. Having a LGL or banning IDC is like limiting air fireball or banning the in-corner red fireball lock. And that's not really whining, that's defending a point.

D

Deleted member

Banning a lock is one thing but u cant limit a move.
Thats why nado isnt limited.

Really we are the only fighting game community that does that? Cool!
Polo is the only sport where u can ride horses with mallets.

Judo777

Smash Master
Stop being a lil whiner.
Wait what? You just said we cant do that in SF cause its bad but we can do it here cause its not.............?

Obviously it doesn't work that fine for MK. Otherwise most people wouldn't want the character banned?

And the running the timer over with an infinite move is a dumb arguement cause that is not a character specific move. Everyone in the game has to end any lock at 300% even jab flurries despite the fact that they are escapable. D3 and IC's just have the most practical one. Sheik cant do a GR infinite on Wario over 300% either.

Lastly not only is there a rules specific for MK but there are actually 2. IDC + LGL would be 2 of pretty much the only character specific rules in the game. not to mention we have almost banned brinstar and RC because of MK which is stupid and would be 4 rules made just for MK.

Not to mention people are discussing 1.1 damage ratio right now to nerf tornado...... but you say all of these nerfs are ok for MK, but no that would be ridiculous in ST?

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Oh yeah. I haven't had time to set up my Wii and do anything since I got back from Hobo with work and life, so I'll just say it until I can get it recorded.

Basically, this came from Bigz telling me all the time to stop air-dodging into the ground. It's VERY situational, but if you're facing an opponent and going toward them, if you air-dodge into the ground, you can scoot backwards like a DR. Let's say you're facing to the right, then you can air-dodge so that the animation for it is still happening while you hit the ground. Point the control stick down and right before you hit the ground, and the second you land, rotate the control stick to the left (by going down right > down > down left > left), and if you do it right, Yoshi will slide backwards on landing.

I say it's very situational because you can only do it while facing forward while moving forward. If you're facing forward and you're moving backwards, then Yoshi will just run forward. If you are facing backwards and you're moving forward then Yoshi will run backwards. And if you're facing backwards and moving backwards, then Yoshi will roll. I haven't had time since I found it to play with it any more than just figuring out the button input and such, but it could be useful cause you can attack while you're sliding. Imagine landing near the edge of a platform, sliding backwards, and immediately attacking your opponent underneath said platform.

As I said in an earlier post, this has probably already been found out, but I haven't seen any Yoshi actually use it in a game, so it might be known but forgotten, so I might as well bring it up =)

Anyone wanna play around with it?

Chuee

Smash Hero
Wait what? You just said we cant do that in SF cause its bad but we can do it here cause its not.............?
Yes, because banning a specific move is stupid. Players may accidentally press the button, and then? You lose the match for usng air fireball. Yet, in brawl you don't accidentally plank, or accidentally use IDC. If you used it, you meant to use it
Obviously it doesn't work that fine for MK. Otherwise most people wouldn't want the character banned?

And the running the timer over with an infinite move is a dumb arguement cause that is not a character specific move. Everyone in the game has to end any lock at 300% even jab flurries despite the fact that they are escapable. D3 and IC's just have the most practical one. Sheik cant do a GR infinite on Wario over 300% either.
Ok? but those are all character specific. ICs can stall with their infinite on every character in the game. MK can plank every character in the game.
Lastly not only is there a rules specific for MK but there are actually 2. IDC + LGL would be 2 of pretty much the only character specific rules in the game. not to mention we have almost banned brinstar and RC because of MK which is stupid and would be 4 rules made just for MK.
and? IDC is basically a glitch in the game, so saying that proves his bannable is like finding a stalling glitch in a mid tier character and saying that makes them bannable. MKs IDC glitch has nothing to do with how good the character is. No, we are nowhere near banning Brinstar and RC just because of MK lol.Not to mention people are discussing 1.1 damage ratio right now to nerf tornado...... but you say all of these nerfs are ok for MK, but no that would be ridiculous in ST?
lmao, they're discussing 1.1 to creat balance. MKs tornado wasn't even a big factor in 1.1. Getting rid of D3's infinites and a few long CGs were the main reason it was brought up.
in green for yoshiiiiiiiiiiii

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Oh yeah. I haven't had time to set up my Wii and do anything since I got back from Hobo with work and life, so I'll just say it until I can get it recorded.

Basically, this came from Bigz telling me all the time to stop air-dodging into the ground. It's VERY situational, but if you're facing an opponent and going toward them, if you air-dodge into the ground, you can scoot backwards like a DR. Let's say you're facing to the right, then you can air-dodge so that the animation for it is still happening while you hit the ground. Point the control stick down and right before you hit the ground, and the second you land, rotate the control stick to the left (by going down right > down > down left > left), and if you do it right, Yoshi will slide backwards on landing.

I say it's very situational because you can only do it while facing forward while moving forward. If you're facing forward and you're moving backwards, then Yoshi will just run forward. If you are facing backwards and you're moving forward then Yoshi will run backwards. And if you're facing backwards and moving backwards, then Yoshi will roll. I haven't had time since I found it to play with it any more than just figuring out the button input and such, but it could be useful cause you can attack while you're sliding. Imagine landing near the edge of a platform, sliding backwards, and immediately attacking your opponent underneath said platform.

As I said in an earlier post, this has probably already been found out, but I haven't seen any Yoshi actually use it in a game, so it might be known but forgotten, so I might as well bring it up =)

Anyone wanna play around with it?
Never heard of this. BUT if it's what I think. You can do it with a regular jump. Say you're facing right, you jump that same way but when you land press Down and Left which'll make you slide to the left a bit. Vice versa too. If this isn't it then Video needed, still trying to get Dazzle to work.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Never heard of this. BUT if it's what I think. You can do it with a regular jump. Say you're facing right, you jump that same way but when you land press Down and Left which'll make you slide to the left a bit. Vice versa too. If this isn't it then Video needed, still trying to get Dazzle to work.
When you say a "regular" jump, do you mean do the same input but without using a mid-air dodge?

I short-hop air-dodge a lot, so I can see myself using this for spacing if I land too close to an opponent when I think they'll attack me or something, or with a platform/ledge trick like I mentioned earlier.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Hmm, I'll try it out. The first time I noticed it was I did it on accident when I air-dodged and I had never seen it before, so I just assumed you had to input it. I'll try it without it whenever I can to double check it.

Top Bottom