• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YGD - As the snow melts, the mighty Dinosaur rises once more!

Best Yoshi Attack

• Total voters

bigman40

Smash Master
the only reason we would get 1st place in a tournament is from people lacking the matchup knowledge, or you're green ace/bwett
Not even. Look at how long the game's been out and their tournament records. They've came close, yes, but they still haven't won a tourney yet, and both of them live in high levels of competition (much higher than mine as a whole). Unless you just end up being muteki throughout the tourney(s) like M2k has been for his past tourneys, then we're not gonna win one w/o help from a secondary.

D

Deleted member

Airborne currently isnt good enough to beat those people with yoshi imo, but if you keep improving like you have and start playing with more good people, you'll be able to at least get close.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
how exactly do u improve u yoshi??? beside just expirence, but even with numerous games of different match ups how do u extract sumthing from those matches. thats what i would like to know

Metatitan

Smash Master
^
improving yourself isnt always easy. but ill tell what i normally do to improve myself
1. Always listen to advice from people who are better than you. They probly know what they are talking about lol.
2. Try to be less predictable. Mix it up, see what u do works and why, what doesnt work and why and figure out how to always keep them guessing. this is why moves like egg lay and such are so good. Try to keep your opponent on their toes.
3. Space properly. I know you probably hear it a million times but always make sure that you're spacing well so that you have the minimal chance of being punished. Working on your camp game and offense game can really help with your spacing.
4. Learn matchups. You hear this a million times but its important, u have to know what works against certain chars and why.
5. Learn to read your opponent. Reading your opponent is really useful, it allows u to outspace them and its helpful for yoshi in particular with getting a uair in. The reason why fair isnt completely worthless is because its useful if u perfectly read your opponent and know what they're going to do.

thats all i got for now, im sry if its not what u were looking for :urg:

Metatitan

Smash Master
i think we all do lol. thats what tourny results and the video thread are for. i seriously doubt id ever play high in my region with people like mikehaze and dsf

Chaco

Never Logs In
I gotta say my area is easy. Most of the better known players are strictly melee.

But, yeah, if your not a Proshi now. Your not gonna be for a while.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Look up the vid of him beating Chu Dat.

Not saying he's a Proshi, don't get me wrong. But beating Chu is impressive.
Well, you can't say it's not impressive.

Lil just doesn't enter singles at all anymore. So he really can't have more recent proof. It's up to him to back up what he says though.
That video was old and campy but I still that is like the only vid I have up that is tournament singles. Md/Va only recently been recording tourney vids more. And yea I barley enter singles but I guess I can try to enter more.

auroreon

Smash Ace
how exactly do u improve u yoshi??? beside just expirence, but even with numerous games of different match ups how do u extract sumthing from those matches. thats what i would like to know
^
improving yourself isnt always easy. but ill tell what i normally do to improve myself
1. Always listen to advice from people who are better than you. They probly know what they are talking about lol.
2. Try to be less predictable. Mix it up, see what u do works and why, what doesnt work and why and figure out how to always keep them guessing. this is why moves like egg lay and such are so good. Try to keep your opponent on their toes.
3. Space properly. I know you probably hear it a million times but always make sure that you're spacing well so that you have the minimal chance of being punished. Working on your camp game and offense game can really help with your spacing.
4. Learn matchups. You hear this a million times but its important, u have to know what works against certain chars and why.
5. Learn to read your opponent. Reading your opponent is really useful, it allows u to outspace them and its helpful for yoshi in particular with getting a uair in. The reason why fair isnt completely worthless is because its useful if u perfectly read your opponent and know what they're going to do.

thats all i got for now, im sry if its not what u were looking for :urg:
I believe that skill at this game falls into two catagories, practical skill and cognitive skill.

Practical skill is comprised of skills that can be learnt and improved upon through playing the game with a diversity of skilled and experienced opponants. These are the kind of skills that you gain through just playing the game and mostly you are not
consciously learning them, you are sub-consciously learning. That is why its very easy to assume that you are not infact improving at all.
Practical skills include all the kind of things that you naturally do during matches, such as learning the correct spacing for each move, learning the priority of each move, learning the knockback of moves, learning what to do in matchups, what move is effective for what purpose, how to effectively recover and when/how to go for a kill ect. ect.
Just keep playing the game against skilled opponants and you will improve, eventually you will start to be more successful. Just don't expect to see noticable advancements in your ability quickly, it can take time and as you are always improving you improve slowly and as such its very difficult to notice a change.

The second type of skill is cognitive skill, these skills must be learnt cognitively, i.e you must actively think to develop them. The way to learn these skills is through research into the game outside of playing, this includes reading guides, discoveries, techniques and tips ect. that other players have written, as well as watching videos of the top players and analysing what they do to find what is effective and how they play to maximise effectiveness. Consciously learning this information about the game and then actively trying to incorperate this knowledge into your play will advance your game. However, not everything that better players say is useful, even the best players still do not have all the answers about the game. Most of the time you can rely on the advice of good players but just be aware that they get things wrong too.

Regarding this notion of 'proshis', I think your ability and your rate of improvement is very dependant on the diversity and competition offered by the region you compete in and how able you are to travel. If you can go to tournaments often you have the chance to adapt your game around how the top players play and so have a better chance of placing in touraments.
I think there are a few Yoshis with the ability to become a 'proshi' or are already very close to that level of skill. Proshis are reckognised as such because they attend tourneys often in competetive area. We shouldn't put so much weight on the term 'proshi', we can all get to their level with regular tournament play.

Metatitan

Smash Master
^
eh not really. a proshi is someone who enters tournies and does well, but thats not always the case. this is why footage is good, it shows whether someone really is all that or not. seeing is believing. honestly the truth is, unless you're a proshi now, you won't be one for awhile. and theres nothing wrong with putting a lot of weight on the term proshi, it pushes people harder to get better. which is good because frankly, a lot of yoshi players arent that good

Chaco

Never Logs In
Oh and just so we cover the Mmac area, you can't be a Proshi if you've never gone to a tournament.

auroreon

Smash Ace
Oh and just so we cover the Mmac area, you can't be a Proshi if you've never gone to a tournament.
Thats pretty self explanitary, 'pro' kinda implys you attend tournaments lol.
I don't think Mmac was really that good at the game =/, but thats not why we love him.
Mmac was better at theory than practical.
Btw, I'm gonna be going to the biggest European tourney this year in August in France. I'll be practising till then and hopefully I can record some videos with some of europes top players, wish me luck =).

Metatitan

Smash Master
^
first off, good luck. second, mmac was a HORRIBLE theory crafter. he never played the game so he COULDNT make accurate theories. we have a grab release cg on a char and he thinks we counter them. he only made us look like obsessive fanboys when he pushed for an advantage matchup on mk. how can u do theory if u dont play the game?

Airborne

Smash Lord
i think the reason why everyone loved mmac was b/c he stepped up to the plate to try to help out the community, though he failed miserably, and caused a majority of smash players to think completely different things about yoshi.

and not being close to proshi is just going to drive me to work harder, so we shall see what happens. =P
i think the primary reason why there is such a far separation is due to the lack of good players in certain areas. bwett has texas, stocky has cali, ace has EC, and pride has jersey. i think i will be able to accelerate in my rise in skill once i am able to travel a lot more frequently. if you think about it, i have the best region to learn the majority of match-ups there is to learn. i have mk (nope, judge, OS, m2k maybe), snake (samurai panda, god kais, ally), d3 (lain, jinx), ICs (lain), pika (anther), dk (ook, ripple), marth (lain, xisin, E), fox (bowyer, yeah it's surprising o.o), diddy (AZ), gnw (Needles of Juntah or NoJ), kirby (YbM, who placed higher than chudat at apex), lucario (kinda.... maybe tactical?), oli (paranormal sin, hilt, ZERO).... it's gonna be fun once i start! ^.^

edit: also wolf (omniswell), falco (clowsui, light), ROB (Mr. Eric, OS), Wario (i forgot the dude....), and Sonic lolz (Shugo ftw)
edit edit: and rowan for peach

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
100% Agree, I will make it happen. I also agree with your post about keeping the proshi status at a high standard. We can't just strive to be good, we have to strive to be great!

auroreon

Smash Ace
Why are you all suddenly anti-Mmac, sure he never attended tourneys and he wasn't that great a player... but none of us were perticually good back then anyway. Sure, he may have been a bit too optemistic when it came to matchups and such but at least he really tried to improve Yoshi.
If anything he is guilty of trying to push Yoshi too far, he backed the Yoshi community as much as he could and helped out tremendously. Hounestly... back when Mmac was around the Yoshi boards were more unified and active than they are now IMO, so although he was by no means ever a proshi or even close he was a virtue to the Yoshi boards and I for one miss him.

And I don't think there is such a massive devide between good and proshi, just get a regular tournament attendance going and travel to competetive areas and eventually you can reach that standard.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
Am I the only person who doesn't like the matchup system that much? Other character boards seem to have better and more organized matchup threads.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Why are you all suddenly anti-Mmac, sure he never attended tourneys and he wasn't that great a player... but none of us were perticually good back then anyway. Sure, he may have been a bit too optemistic when it came to matchups and such but at least he really tried to improve Yoshi.
If anything he is guilty of trying to push Yoshi too far, he backed the Yoshi community as much as he could and helped out tremendously. Hounestly... back when Mmac was around the Yoshi boards were more unified and active than they are now IMO, so although he was by no means ever a proshi or even close he was a virtue to the Yoshi boards and I for one miss him.

And I don't think there is such a massive devide between good and proshi, just get a regular tournament attendance going and travel to competetive areas and eventually you can reach that standard.
lol you're wrong on so many levels, but its okay. mmac did try his best to push yoshi as far as he could go, but you CANT do that unless you yourself are good with him. mmac also discredited and ignored bwett when bwett said the mk matchup was 40:60, despite that bwett had beaten and faced better mks offline than mmac had online. mmac's passion really made us all look like crazy fanboys. hes guilty of taking away common sense and logic by not listening to and completely ignoring those actually experienced in a particular matchup. and the only reason u think we were more unified was because he made threads such as "yoshi is top tier in cuteness". and yeah theres a pretty definitive line between good and proshi, considering anyone who isnt a proshi probly isnt very good (myself included). just because you attend tournaments doesnt make you good, we have a lot of tourny yoshies but we only have 4 proshies. you cant just go to tournies and assume u become pro by placing 8th or w/e, you have to beat good players, show that your style is good and learn from each experience.

auroreon

Smash Ace
I wasn't even saying that just attending tourneys magically makes you a good player, Im saying that is the way to improve and the way to become a good player. You say anyone who isn't a proshi is likely not good simply because they don't place highly in tournaments, what you seem to be forgetting is that we play Yoshi, and as such we have to be MUCH better than other players using high tier character in order to even place anywhere in tournaments. The supposed 'proshis' don't even place that well, I say placing 8th is a mahor tournament is a hell of an achievement with a character like Yoshi.
And to say I'm wrong on 'so many levels' just makes you sound ignorant as there aren't many levels that I could possibly be wrong on from the content of my above post.
Yes Mmac was very patriotic to Yoshi and he did push for matchups that wre simply not in Yoshis favor, but he was not as bad a player as you assume he was, yea he was a poor Yoshi but none of us were anywhere near the standard we have today back then. And he didn't make us look like 'crazy fanboys' he just cared about the character a lot, quite a few Yoshi mains don't seem to these days. Don't know about you but I play Yoshi because I love the character so I don't see whats wrong with posting to show your love of a character.
Also, you can't possibly claim to know how good all the Yoshi mains are and that there are 4 proshis that are so far above everyone else, they don't really place that much higher than everyone else tbh, they just have a lot of results because they go to a lot of tournaments. Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting that the Yoshis considered Proshis aren't great players and top Yoshis, I'm saying that you cannot claim to know that there are not anymore Yoshi mains of that or a similar standard.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Well, I have to agree. Mmac made us look like idiots in the tier list thread. He constantly argued how good Yoshi was when Stocky was saying "Yoshi is mediocre at best".

Stocky>>>>>>>>>>KFC>>>>>>>>Mmac

Metatitan

Smash Master
trust me when u take a look at the video thread or even play these people online just to look at their styles, u realize theres a HUUUUUUUUUUGE gap between proshi and the other yoshi mains

auroreon

Smash Ace
I don't have vids really, soooooo...Whoo~
My point exactly. I have not uploaded any videos either.
Green Ace barely has any vid up either and many Yoshis don't have recent vids up.
Online matches are pretty meaningless IMO, even minor input lag throws your game off majorly. Wi-fi counts for nothing.

Chaco

Never Logs In
but ive played u b4 and taken a look at your style. from the looks of it you've got a less evolved "scatz" style
We're actually quite a bit different.

He jabs a **** ton, I use eggs a **** ton.

Metatitan

Smash Master
his footage and tournament placings are enough to prove hes a proshi. besides if i was wrong, i wouldnt have had a bunch of people rephrase that if you're not a proshi now you arent even close to being one

Top Bottom