• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

York University Smash - No longer on strike, due to werewolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Paul also lives very close to me ^___^

If you see this PM me with your email and then tell me your address/when you're available to smash. Also we're better than what's on Youtube, most of our Youtube matches are our crappy ones, actually, and then we've also just gotten better so yeah. We're amazing like that.

Also props to Osman for bringing a cube. Osman is very chill, I like him. Although he needs to learn how to short hop with Sheik though so he can space aerials. Bair and Fair are like super broken. And Nair out of shield is like ****. Aerials in general are **** with Sheik, learning how to use them is very good.

edit: Eric, my dash dance/overall ground movement game is very underdeveloped and mostly crap, which is a big reason why I suck balls against Marth. Ask Mike or Imadh or Bernard or Ryan if you want to know what the purpose of dash dancing is. It's MOSTLY A SPACING TOOL and allows you to see the opponent's responses to approach/retreat WITHOUT COMMITTING TO THE SLIGHT LAG OF EITHER JUMPING, LANDING, OR THE ATTACK LAG and therefore can be used to scout defensive play by the opponent AND SOMETIMES CREATE OPENINGS BECAUSE IT CAN INTIMIDATE THE OPPONENT ESPECIALLY IF IT'S A LONG DASH DANCE SUCH AS FOX'S OR FALCON'S OR MARTH'S. Therefore, dash dance camping is simply using dash dance as an out to make the opponent attack into it; it is most commonly used by Fox, Marth, and Falcon because they have the dash dance range to adequately run back and forth and work around most stuff the opponent approaches with.

tl;dr version just read anything bold and blue and in caps.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
aahhh, I think I can see how and when to use it better now. Thanks :D <3 *saves post*

Also, great to meet Osman and Paul. Yeah, Paul lol you need to sign up to smashboards 3P!!! lol

The day lasted a lot longer than I thought it would.

idea

Smash Master
^ yeah, thought so, for some reason. i was the guy who played you twice with marth. and ryan was the other black guy who spent most of his time in the melee rooms.

game set

Smash Apprentice
i have a friend in york who used to smash but quit when he left for university. I'll mention this to him but he might not want to play, but he's a ****ing amazing gamer, and would easily be the next m2k if he started playing. seriously though, he ends up being top whenever he plays a game competitively.

tha_carter

Smash Ace
Oh, good stuff. Marth's you melee main?

I should join the melee room sometime; i wonder if i even remember how to wavedash...lol

Osman

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the kind words guys, I've always known the Melee community to be so inclusive and friendly, you guys really embody that. Playing with you has encouraged Paul and I to get better, especially Paul, and while we're pretty even when we face off against each other, I can see him far surpassing me. I desperately need to stop playing freestyle, I put more thought into my game with Super Turbo.

Speaking of which, Bernard, if I set up MAME on my laptop, do you want to bring your arcade stick and the one I'm buying off of you and we'll Street Fighter it up on Smash nights? I have no idea how to set up MAME on my computer though, so if you could help me out with that...

idea

Smash Master
Oh, good stuff. Marth's you melee main?

I should join the melee room sometime; i wonder if i even remember how to wavedash...lol
nope, jiggs is. so far i just feel most comfortable with marth in brawl. and dedede. you just kind of grab and space aerials with dedede, it doesn't seem too hard =P but at the end of the day, any game where i can't rest people out of various slight mistakes is not the game for me.

Osman

Smash Apprentice
^ A perfect example of how the punishment game in Melee can be pretty unbalanced at times, but it's still better to actually have a punishment game, rather than absolutely nothing at all.

idea

Smash Master
jiggs has enough disadvantages anyway though. or rather, she lacks the advantages the characters ranked higher than her have.

in case you guys hadn't heard, survivor gabon is featuring ken -- sephirothken, the best smasher for like 3 years, a few years ago. in the little clips posted before it came out he used the word 'mindgames'...=D

so the entire smash community is now watching survivor. i wonder how it'll affect their ratings.

tha_carter

Smash Ace
lol, 3de is overrated. But your marth is good, we should do dittos next time.

Osman, howd the ssb 64 turn out? did people show up?

Osman

Smash Apprentice
Ken needs no introduction :), but I missed the first episode of Survivor, even so I doubt I'll watch it, I hate television.

Anyway, I don't know if we can have Smash night on Tuesday or Wednesday because of the Jewish holidays, does the entire campus just shut down? Either way, gives me a good chance to catch up on work, but we'll see.

Osman

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, didn't think so.

So then I'll have your money next week Bernard, for the stick and the adapter.

idea

Smash Master
probably not. no classes tuesday or wednesday due to rosh hashanah. my friend explained this to me today: york was founded by some jewish people who couldn't get jobs at u of t. so they went off and formed their own university, and made sure to give everyone time off during jewish holidays. there's also yom kippur in 2 weeks or something, but i don't know when that is.

i have 1 class next week =D

Osman

Smash Apprentice
So who's coming this Wednesday? York is closed on Thursday, so that means no school for the Yorkies, which means a later night :).

Osman

Smash Apprentice
^ is yom kippur next thursday? i'll probably come wednesday. i mean, i don't see why not =P
Yeah, it is :bee:. The Jewstivities just never end (which is awesome), though I don't think Yom Kippur is a happy holiday, I don't really know. When is the Thanksgiving weekend, by the way?

JvaN_

Smash Apprentice
Yom Kippur is the serious day for Jewish people, I'm pretty sure. It's a day to repent for the sins that they've done or something? At least, that's what my friend told me.

Anyway, I'm okay with Wednesday - it's something to do while waiting for Kendo to start.

Osman

Smash Apprentice
Yom Kippur is the serious day for Jewish people, I'm pretty sure. It's a day to repent for the sins that they've done or something? At least, that's what my friend told me.

Anyway, I'm okay with Wednesday - it's something to do while waiting for Kendo to start.
I remember now! It's the day of atonement, self-reflection and fasting, and strict adherents to the Jewish faith aren't allowed to do any work whatsoever. So in effect, a conservative Jew wouldn't be able to turn on the TV or a Gamecube at Smash night, it'd be breaking a religious law. I don't know why I didn't remember this from the get-go, Thornhill is such a Jewish neighbourhood.

The crazy sh*t that people do.

Osman

Smash Apprentice
uh....... how much is parking at york?
I don't drive, but I heard finding a spot is hell on earth, and that the campus security will find the slightest excuse to write you up a ticket. It might all be dramatic hyperbole, but the general consensus is that parking sucks. Try bussing.

Oh, and I'll be there this Wednesday too. I'll bring the money for the arcade stick as well Bernard; would you mind telling me what kind it is?

PR3Y11

Smash Journeyman
I don't drive, but I heard finding a spot is hell on earth, and that the campus security will find the slightest excuse to write you up a ticket. It might all be dramatic hyperbole, but the general consensus is that parking sucks. Try bussing.
yea i went to york last year but i've never driven to school XD, but that's good to know maybe i'll think again about driving out .... it'll be a long bus ride though =(

tha_carter

Smash Ace
yea i went to york last year but i've never driven to school XD, but that's good to know maybe i'll think again about driving out .... it'll be a long bus ride though =(
There's parking at founders and steeles. $10.

Theres also tonnes of parking along keele, id sugggest parking at keele and taking the 10 minute walk.

Sylvantes

Smash Apprentice
Are you guys gonna be there on wednesday? If so I'm gonna show up with my buddy.

PR3Y11

Smash Journeyman
There's parking at founders and steeles. $10.

Theres also tonnes of parking along keele, id sugggest parking at keele and taking the 10 minute walk.
yea i was thinking parking at the staples across the street.... $10 is a little much for parking.... but i'll see if i feel like walking that day XD

count me in for this wed.... are you guys all covered for set ups? i can bring a wii w/ brawl/melee if need be, but no tv
and if anyone wants to play smash 64 i've got it on my wii too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom