• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Discussion

The Star King

Smash Hero
You can't taunt in the air, so not exactly >_>. And if you mean djc aerial -> taunt cancel, then yes, you can, but the djc doesn't matter at all.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Hm, I tested it in 1/4 speed and I think if it's TASed it could be a lot faster than dash dance taunt cancels on the ledge (Yoshi has to go backwards with the djc because he misses the ground if he doesn't). Not only could it be faster, it has the added bonus of adding in "HRRRRMMMMM"s amongst the "YASHI"s. Ness can do this too I guess.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Hm, I tested it in 1/4 speed and I think if it's TASed it could be a lot faster than dash dance taunt cancels on the ledge (Yoshi has to go backwards with the djc because he misses the ground if he doesn't). Not only could it be faster, it has the added bonus of adding in "HRRRRMMMMM"s amongst the "YASHI"s. Ness can do this too I guess.
This would be quite the interesting TAS. Ness' jumping sfx are weak. Yoshi's double jump + his taunt cancel would be so cool!

MarioReincarnate

Smash Journeyman
is there any mention anywhere about how yoshi can run off the edge, turn and jump and immediately grab the edge? it is sort of like a pivot ledge grab, but I think you have to turn after you're already off the ledge. when I do it I instantly think of brawl

TANK64

Smash Lord
I can't do it consistently (not that I practice it sooo). But it looks really cool. Is there anyone who can do this like all the time. That would be mad legit.

dandan

Smash Lord
is there any mention anywhere about how yoshi can run off the edge, turn and jump and immediately grab the edge? it is sort of like a pivot ledge grab, but I think you have to turn after you're already off the ledge. when I do it I instantly think of brawl
antd made a video of this.
you can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiEpPc4nuJQ

random people posting antd's videos...

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
novice yoshi player here.

should i z-cancel my djcs?

i really don't see the difference, seeing how that is like z-canceling your DJCS with ness;not much of an effect.

also, what's the timing window on DJC with yoshi to get that 'whip effect' out of his moves? either i press too early or too fast.
(and i mean frame wise, not just like 'slower' ,'faster' ,'mid' in the op.)

stoopid dinosaur. :(

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
What's the reason NOT to Z-cancel? It's good habit to DI everything that can be. + Missing a z-cancel on some aerials with both Yoshi and Ness can cost you a stock, obviously not counting moves that don't need to be z-canceled like Ness Uair and Dair.

#HBC | ѕoup

since i'm novice for both ness and yoshi, i didn't see the importance, the animation and frames seemed fairly fast without it, and it basically looks like it 'cancels" itself.

anyways, could i get excact frame data also, as i asked before?

i want to practice it until i get it down perfect.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Frame data wont help, trust me.

All his aerials need to be zcanceled, although his uair does not have that much landing lag w/o. All his other aerials do and to get good with yoshi, you need to get the timings down perfectly.

The timings are different for every djc, which is why he is such a diverse character. I just went into training mode and practiced doing utilt --> djc uair chains on heavies to get the uair down.

After that I incorporated my fair. I just did djc fairs on characters for hours and got that timing down. After a day or two I could do something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxGZNcqkTow

Then I did bair by practicing the same thing as the fair.

Then dair, which is really easy once you know everyone else.
utilt --> djc dair is beast on heavies.

Then, lastly, I did nairs which were the easiest to get down initially but the hardest to perfect and become proficient at shield breaking/nair chains. All of which have different timings.

Yoshi takes a large time investment. Good luck.

#HBC | ѕoup

ty kuz.

I'm just trying to get better with other characters besides mario, as much as i love the fat plumber, i need to get more diverse.

to training mode.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Ness's DJC U-Air and D-Air have no lag so cancelling doesn't matter (but if you intend to learn it by reflex do it anyway).

All of Yoshi's aerials and Ness's F-Air, B-Air and N-Air need cancelling, there is absolutely no question about it.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Yoshi's aerials have quite a bit less lag than most chars so I can understand you not seeing much of difference (this is assuming you do notice the difference with other characters aerials.) Yoshi's dair, uair and nair have little lag, his bair and fair's lag should be noticeable however.

This thread makes we wanna try doing the prince nair combo ^^ H

The Star King

Smash Hero
Lol try doing that prince combo without canceling the nairs. Suddenly the difference will seem huge to you >_>

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Does anyone else parry platform drop?

I've been doing this for a couple years I'm not sure anyone else knows about it though?

If you hit z while you're dropping through a platform you'll parry their crap if it hits you.

dandan

Smash Lord

I've been doing this for a couple years I'm not sure anyone else knows about it though?

If you hit z while you're dropping through a platform you'll parry their crap if it hits you.
i always shield drop with everyone, as it already have benefits in cancelling the crouching animation and enabling to drop while dashing. however, i do not think i have ever noticed shield dropping with yoshi and it cancelling the attack, i guess i am not timing my drops to do that.

The Star King

Smash Hero

I knew about it :D

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
So, while you are dropping through the platform, you can parry?

Like parry in your falling animation?!

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I thought he meant that you can platform drop after a parry the same way you can usmash/grab/jump (which makes perfect sense since these are all the things you can do out of shield anyway).

Correct me if I'm wrong.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
I thought he meant that you can platform drop after a parry the same way you can usmash/grab/jump (which makes perfect sense since these are all the things you can do out of shield anyway).

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Thats what I was thinking, but the way he phrased it made me think otherwise.

D

Deleted member

Removed by Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
They might be useful if they knocked you all the way across the stage, so that you reach the ledge before they get there to edgeguard. From there you can do a egg-cancel to some effect, especially since the above scenario requires you be at a high-ish percentage, making your second jump armour less useful.

Top Bottom