• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Discussion

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
I use it when recovering against a falcon who is also off the stage trying to recover. Chances are, he will catch you in his upb and stage spike you easily. If I am high enough I throw an egg lightly straight up and hope that if he catches me, the egg will break his lock on me before he can push off.

Also it cancels your second jump faster than most other attack, so its useful for sweetspotting the ledge as well.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
I don't play as Yoshi, but all these egg things are making me want to... and now with this:
th3kuzinator said:
I use it when recovering against a falcon who is also off the stage trying to recover. Chances are, he will catch you in his upb and stage spike you easily. If I am high enough I throw an egg lightly straight up and hope that if he catches me, the egg will break his lock on me before he can push off.

Also it cancels your second jump faster than most other attack, so its useful for sweetspotting the ledge as well.
And that seems to be a good idea.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I have a big feeling that Alancitu's combo doesn't connect @ the wall eggs.

Dang, Ricky's combo blew the triple egg combos I already have recorded out of the water, even though it was TAS.

TANK64

Smash Lord
Wow, a light bulb just went on. So many combo possibilities I had thought were "non legit."
But I see what you're saying- Now I feel silly :embarrass:.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
how is falcon punch more casual than u-tilt

captain falcon charges all of his manliness into his pinky finger (this is what he uses to punch) and releases it in a glorious burst of pure epic

yoshi just does an exaggerated 'sup' gesture

The Star King

Smash Hero
Has anybody tried to learn how to parry -> double jump insta-land thing -> any ground move? I feel stupid for not thinking of this idea earlier.

I think it could potentially be EXTREMELY good. The main ground moves used will probably be ftilt or utilt

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
learn to walk-off-fair
looks really cool
basicly walk off, fair kill, and dj back up...

also down-angled fsmash for edgeguard, not dsmash (i know you didnt in vid)

and djc nair chains

parrys

idk, not rly the person to answer this

dont slow down:)

blaze3927

Smash Ace
-Rolling is generally a bad opp.
-bair is generally better than fair for approach/defense, on better players, not so good players will get caught out more often than the more experienced however
-a good combo on dreamland when you gt the utilt at %12 ish is two uair to nair to utilt alancitu style
- or if not directly under the highest platform try three uairs to ftilt (on 1st level plat obv) to spike.
-yoshi dair< falcon uair, yoshi doesnt have much rnage for the lower region.
-probably best not too rely on dair so much for combos, as you play better players
-usmash and utilt are amazing defensive moves
-yoshi can approach from teh ground aswell, using dash/utilt/usmash, or doesnt hurt to play defensive

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
You can use egg's to edgeguard Falcon's recovery as well (also d-tilt works as well depending on where he is), approach more with B-air (either short hopped or djc'd). work on your DJC u-air combos, up tilt him and when he falls on the platform, read where he rolls/stands and follow up with an u-air or b-air.

I find Yoshi's d-tilt and f-tilt very useful for this matchup along with b-air.

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
dtilt is a nice little pop but its easily overused (personal expierence;))

dash attack - ftilt combos on samus/floaties are too good

never utilt jiggs unless ur sandbagging hard. always ftilt or something. jiggs goes too high, any expierenced played will jump away/dair before you can get up to areal, though an egg might work

edgeguarding with the upB is great

neut-B fast-DJC nesses and the like. its a grab thats fast, good range, and usable in the air. neut-B then eggthrow, for some reason the egg gets through their invincibility once the come out better than anything else. or just usmash/dair for damage

edit:
You can use egg's to edgeguard Falcon's recovery as well (also d-tilt works as well depending on where he is).
meh, down-angled fsmash is better than dtilt if you can time it right, more power and more range

but, well, harder to time

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
dtilt is more useful at lower percents on floaties, as the constant knockback sends them quite far.

The Star King

Smash Hero
up tilt him and when he falls on the platform, read where he rolls/stands and follow up with an u-air or b-air.
It's very possible to land an up-air on Falcon after an up-tilt before he hits the ground of the platform, which is obviously better than guessing the tech, and he'll be in stun long enough so that you can land and utilt as long as he's not under like 20%.

Peek~

Smash Lord
Thanks for the advice
Never realized how great Bair was.

Any tips for edgeguarding Mario/Luigi? Fsmash is tricky to time and Dtilt cant even hit. This is after eggs

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
eggs are a great edge guard if they try to sweat spot. You can set them down right by the edge, blocking their path/chance to grip the edge. tricky to time, and they have some wiggle room on timign with their Rising tornadoes, but nothing too major to stop an Egg.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Short hop off and N-Air, if you run off and N-Air you won't be able to recover :\ It's a little risky but will basically always trade hits with them if you place yourself right, especially Luigi.

Or you could just edgehog, and when they land DJC F-Air > something.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Seems like there's a lot of different things people use, but I seriously think eggs are the best. They beat the Up-B with no risk of trading or anything, you just have to learn to time them properly.

Also, try edgehogging, waiting for the Down-B, and do a ledge get-up -> utilt -> turnaround Fair. The spike off stage can be avoided by hard DI towards the stage though, so you might want to grab or utilt -> bair if they have good DI, or Fair -> Usmash/Down-B if you can manage it.

Fair spike them after the tornado lag if you get a chance. Good Luigis/Marios will use it really low so that you won't though, so your only option may be edgehogging.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Why would I do that when USmash is more powerful though?

That's why I don't use FSmash much - not that it's bad, but that there's often a better option.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Sometimes you can utilt weak nair fsmash which will be a bit better than just utilt usmash i suppose
Yeah but that works at percents where other combos probably would, like utilt weak nair ftilt fair, or utilt uair weak bair fair, or utilt weak nair utilt usmash, etc. I would probably try to do that instead.

When I said maybe I should experiment with it more, I meant mostly in edgeguarding. That's the only situation where I could see FSmash often being an optimal choice.

Top Bottom