• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi guide and discussion board

D

Deleted member

up-tilt, a few djc up-airs, WEAK REVERSE b-air, djc n-air, f-air spike

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
Utilt seems to only not work on Jigglypuff, because she flies to high. As for light characters, I usually just do the typical bombard djc attacks like fair and nair, while if near the edge I could nair or ftilt to a spike. I also found that utilt to dair is effective against light characters, especially samus.
For heavy characters, I can do some 0 to death combos, but I seen some players do more advanced/amazing stuff. Like this one you did on my Fox, Sheer. I don't remember exactly what it looked like but I remember it consisting of Utilt and Reversed Bairs. It wasn't too close to the edge, it was started on the left side of the triple platforms of hyrule, than dragged to the left edge to a fair spike.

For Yoshi combos vs heavies check out these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn7VC...e=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXurB...e=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPBne...e=channel_page

Vs floaties you're a more limited because the utilt doesn't combo into stuff as easily. ftilt fair works, and sometimes you can get nair nair fair type combos as well.
Alancitu is a good reference...
up-tilt, a few djc up-airs, WEAK REVERSE b-air, djc n-air, f-air spike
This looks good too, ima try it.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Utilt seems to only not work on Jigglypuff, because she flies to high.

Jigglypuff may fly too high but the hitstun is still there so you have enough time to do an egg bomb on jiggly

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
it is only possible to do the up tilt on jiggylpuff is jigglypuff is grounded

If jigglypuff is in the air, the up air won't be quick enough

House

Smash Journeyman
Unknown fact: DOWN-B gives Yoshi little VERTICAL recovery. He rises a bit before going down. This can rarely help Yoshi grab de ledge when recovering from the bottom... Should I make a video of it? :ohwell:

DMoogle

A$
Unknown fact: DOWN-B gives Yoshi little VERTICAL recovery. He rises a bit before going down. This can rarely help Yoshi grab de ledge when recovering from the bottom... Should I make a video of it? :ohwell:
If you can show the difference, definitely.

TANK64

Smash Lord
Haha- Yea, definitely not unknown lol

...but lets try to keep it a secret shall we, I need an edge on the competition :lick:

NixxxoN

Smash Master
LOL I remember when i tried yoshi for the first time, i always tried to do the "jumping down+b" when recovering, as like when Yoshi is on the ground xD... testing weird things

House

Smash Journeyman
Down-B is used to stall as a rule when an opponent is edgehogging. Players don't usually go for the "vertical recovery" option of this move imo (if they already know about it). The amount of distance gained is VERY little to be consistently/successfully applied. But yeah, good to know :)

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I don't think so just no other heavies have 2nd jumps like Yoshi's. If Fox's 2nd jump made him invincible I'm sure he'd be able to jump mash out of a lot of combos like Yoshi can.

I've also come to the conclusion that I'm better vs Pikachu and Kirby than I am vs Falcon. Those light little ****ers die in the 60's and 70's vs Yoshi.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I don't think so just no other heavies have 2nd jumps like Yoshi's. If Fox's 2nd jump made him invincible I'm sure he'd be able to jump mash out of a lot of combos like Yoshi can.

I've also come to the conclusion that I'm better vs Pikachu and Kirby than I am vs Falcon. Those light little ****ers die in the 60's and 70's vs Yoshi.
I am exactly the opposite...I do basically fine vs pikachu, horrible vs kirby, and really well vs falcon.

Any tips for facing kirbies?

MattNF

Smash Lord
Yeah for some reason it seems like yoshi has less hitstun. I know he can double jump out of some falcon uair combos that would normally work fine against other heavies

SilentSlayers

Smash Journeyman
Not sure about that. Maybe you can do like 1 or 2 unnoticable double jump frames as a regular heavy, but you just don't see/hear them as you do for Yoshi. By see, I mean the fact that you interrupt the combo of course. I could test with TAS, but I r lazy.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
I'm still working on my Z-canceling and combos in general, because everything can combo into everything when done right, lol, but I need some help.

What can Yoshi do when getting/about to be hit by Falcon's Uair? I try to Dair, but I never win with that. Down-B beats it for me, but it is easy to dodge. Should I just mash my second jump, for getting hit by it at least?

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
You can mash your second jump, then right after getting hit by falcon's up-air, cancel your double jump by using an aerial attack on Falcon. Or just double jump away.

It's better to time your second jump, but if you don't know the timing, mashing works too sometimes :p

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
You can mash your second jump, then right after getting hit by falcon's up-air, cancel your double jump by using an aerial attack on Falcon. Or just double jump away.

It's better to time your second jump, but if you don't know the timing, mashing works too sometimes :p
Alrighty. I only ever thought of using his second jump to escape it when I heard someone else here mention that he could. I'll have to figure out proper timing though, otherwise I'll be mashing, haha.

What is the Yoshi vs Falcon match-up considered, by the way? Is it in Falcon's favor? Are there any advantages that Yoshi has on Falcon that I should know? I know that he fall faster and gets hit by more combos, thankfully.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Alrighty. I only ever thought of using his second jump to escape it when I heard someone else here mention that he could. I'll have to figure out proper timing though, otherwise I'll be mashing, haha.

What is the Yoshi vs Falcon match-up considered, by the way? Is it in Falcon's favor? Are there any advantages that Yoshi has on Falcon that I should know? I know that he fall faster and gets hit by more combos, thankfully.
It's in between 55-45 Falcon and 60-40 falcon. it is that close

Yoshi has better overall recovery.
Falcon has a MUCH better approach
Both of them have legitimate 0 to deaths.

The main good thing for Yoshi is being able to get out of up air (try Double Jump Cancelling into either a down b (if he is at high percent) or down air/back air.

Yoshi needs to concentrate on not being too offensive with DJC's. Falcon needs to space to avoid the up tilts. Yoshi needs to avoid grabs and hit DJC combos (think short hop back air into up itlt or n-air into up tilt. Egg his recovery or down tilt it. or back air if he is high in the air and down b if he is recovering from the bottom. Falcon needs to space well enough to hit the throw combos and not be hit by DJC's

Your basically dead if you recover from the bottom, go from the middle and up. if he up b's you, you can double jump again. Make sure his aerials hit your head (to make it so that the double jump will cancel out the knockback.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Koro you always talk about Yoshi's head having more super armor ... does someone have a video of this because I've never noticed the head being any different.

D

Deleted member

Falcon camping like a ***** is death for most yoshis

Skrlx

Smash Champion
i just practiced with red shells and computers and its pretty frustrating but maybe with a friend

If you find parrying with red shells "frustrating" it's gonna be a whole lot more frustrating with an actual player.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I don't know how to parry yet (hdtv... horrible for parry practicing), but... well, you might want to practice parrying against something predictable like red shells before practicing on something unpredictable and random like friends.

dandan

Smash Lord
HDTVs are just bad in general because they lag. It's like playing with 5 frames delay
i actually think most of them are 2 frames delay, which usually is not so bad, but for parrying it really hurts.
however, there are hdtvs that do not cause input lag.

Tambor

Smash Journeyman
I noticed this is possible for Yoshi yesterday.
-Hang from a ledge
-Let go, do a bair
-Use your 2nd jump asap
It's possible to get back to the ledge if done precisely enough. It's easier if you use Down+B at the highest point of the jump. Pretty useless info, but someone asked me yesterday if it was possible and I thought I would share.

Top Bottom