• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Match-Ups/Match-Up Chart

Who'll take the 5th spot?

• Z'zgashi

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Firefly

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • MX778

Votes: 13 32.5%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

Agree with delta. Like some characters u can afford to run up and hold an usmash and hope for the read or something of that nature, but against snake u eat ftilt and then you ruin your attempt to come back because u are 20% higher.

Sometimes its very hard to not go for the kill, but the best times are when snake cant shield.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Snake's damage output is ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. Sometimes I think it's better to just throw eggs at him and hope he blows himself up for a kill. >_>''

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Snake...

For me this match is almost a even.

Eggs,dash grabs,pivot grabs,all you need is cause % at him,with much care do don´t get tilted or jabbed.

To kill Snake,wait his % goes to 150% or more,don´t lost your patience to kill,is in that part when Snake can go and punish you with your errors...

Eggs helps to much,its explodes Snake´s bombs and are effective at edgeguarding.

Recover is not a problem,you can recover safety doing the obviusly: double jump and eggs.

Ok. This match is almost a even. I give to it: :snakebrawl:55-45:yoshibrawl:

D

Deleted member

You can only outcamp snake if they dont know how to correctly camp yoshi.
If they do yoshi is forced to approach and thats where it gets tricky :/

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Snake don´t have THAT good options to camp Yoshi,a approach is not needed at this point.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Yoshi doesn't necessarily struggle in approaching Snake, but the need to approach isn't a good thing because it means we can't just camp away a lead.
Right. Is because that Yoshi need to have a lot of care on this match,especially when Yoshi will kill Snake.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
About Wario: -1?

That can´t be right.
Yoshi have an infinite Grab on Wario,and is not that hard to grab him.

Wario don´t have another option,he need to approach,because of the eggs,and when he do that,Yoshi can grab/pivot grab him easy.

Yoshi only need to use his defensive game as well here.

This match,for me its +2 or +1 for Yoshi.

About Lucas: +1?

That is almost right.

Put a +2 for Yoshi. Will be right.

About Ike: -1?

I don´t think this is right.

Yoshi can punish Ike with his lag.
Eggs,grabs,pivot grabs,are all efective against Ike.

Ike have a terrible recovery,eggs cause a lot of trouble for him and its not hard to edgeguard him.

But ok... Ike have a good jab and tilts,but are all lagged.

For me,Its +1 for Yoshi.

About Lucario:-3?

Lucario is a ***** for Yoshi,but not THAT.

-2 for Yoshi.

About Fox: -2?

Fox have good speed and attacks vs Yoshi,but Yoshi can kill Fox with not much %.

-1 for Yoshi.

About Falco: -2?

Falco is terrible for Yoshi.

Can´t use eggs,its difficult to grab him,and kill moves have to much lag to catch Falco.

Yoshi have CG on Falco,but to grab him... also, falco´s CG on Yoshi owns this D:

-3 for Yoshi.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Good Wario players are REALLY hard to grab, so the infinite is usually hard to pull off. Not to mention, being near any platforms when you grab him voids the infinite, and it makes the infinite pretty situational. Also, you're REALLY underestimating how good of a character Wario is. He has INSANE mobility and doesnt have too hard of a time getting in on Yoshi, and once he does, he can do a lot of damage. His mobility also negates Yoshi's camping game, which means we cant hold leads easily and have to constantly being playing heavily on defense. With no shield.

I personally never play against any Lucas players, so I cant be of much help explaining this one.

Yoshi DEFINITELY does NOT have an advantage on Ike. Ike has ridiculous range that keeps us out. Also, when you play good Ike players, they dont have lag, they dont use his laggy moves, so saying we punish those just doesnt work. Also, with all this, when we finally get up close, Ike has his broken as hell jab that leads into literally everything and can do TONS of damage and even kill. Just off ONE jab. Luckily, Yoshi's mobility, egg lay, and camping make up a little bit, so it's not terrible, but it doesnt change the fact that Ike is just scary for Yoshi.

It is -2 for Yoshi, this thread just isnt updated.

Same situation as Lucario, it is -1, just need an update here lol.

Personally, I almost agree with you, but I personally am god awful against Falco, so Im pretty biased about just how hard Yoshi gets ***** lol. It's really bad, and I cant do anything in the MU, but Ive seen other Yoshis be really successful against Top Falcos, so Im pretty sure it cant be THAT bad and it's just me being terrible lol.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I will NEVER underestimate Wario,I play with him too,I like him so much.

Lucas: Its +2 because:

Yoshi have a good and easy Chain Grab on him.

Lucas is a character who need defensive gameplay,but when he faces Yoshi,if he don´t want to suffer for eggs,he will need to approach,and Pk fire jumping is what he have to do it.

Lucas will have trouble to recovery,due to eggs. If he need Pk thunder,an egg on it and he is dead...

All Yoshi need to do is run,pivot grab,eggs and timming...

Lucas will only have advantage when he approach with success,punishing Yoshi all he can before Yoshi runs and try to pivot grab him...

Also we can´t forget Lucas is one of the most easy characters for Yoshi to juggle.

It´s :yoshibrawl:65-35:lucasbrawl:

But for Ike...
I really don´t think is that hard... seriously..

Maybe a even match.

D

Deleted member

No Lucas is not that bad for Lucas. Lucas can avoid grabs decently, can punish our camping midrange with side b, and can rack damage pretty well on yoshi. +1 is correct. We win only because of chain grab upsmash in my opinion. Lucas isnt one of the easiest to juggle at all. Lucas punishes yoshi throwing out pivot grabs with side b, which is what makes the matchup a little tough

Zz lucario isn't -2 unanimously lol u just say that. I've not seen a good yoshi have success with a good lucario. Can't say the same with Falco.

Ike may be even.

:phone:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Zz lucario isn't -2 unanimously lol u just say that. I've not seen a good yoshi have success with a good lucario. Can't say the same with Falco.
When does a good Yoshi ever even play a good Lucario lol. And that MU is def -2, and the MU chart agrees.

And Falco is HELL if the Falco knows the MU, like, it's almost unwinnable its so bad if the Falco knows what to do.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Lukin, have you ever played one of the top Lucas players? As someone who actually has this experience, once they learn how to punish pivot grabs, the MU jumps from "lolLucas" to considerably more even.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
But if a good Yoshi faces a good Lucas? Also,a good Yoshi will know the correct time to use pivot grabs...
don´t?

Also,we can´t forget that the MU charts give -2 for Lucas on this MU.

D

Deleted member

Delta cod is considered one of the top3 yoshi mains fyi.
Yes we can, because it is wrong.

You cant pivot grab lucas on reaction, so you have to guess when to use it, and lucas can use side b without being punished if you are on the ground.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Meh, imo Ike is -1, but it's A LOT closer to even than -2. Besides, I dont play too many good Ike players so im obv not the most knowledgeable person on the MU :rolleyes:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I am really a annoying guy. :denzel:

I really don´t think its -1 vs Wario. But I really have exaggerated giving a +2 vs Wario.

For me this match can be a even.

Also thanks for helping me with some things. :)

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Imo on stages like FD, Wario is even, but realistically, as Wario will pretty much always ban that stage, it wont be. It's by no means bad though, its A LOT closer to even than -2, but regardless, Wario just overall has slightly better tools and can avoid our grabs well enough that imo we have a slight disadvantage, nothing too bad though.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Imo on stages like FD, Wario is even, but realistically, as Wario will pretty much always ban that stage, it wont be. It's by no means bad though, its A LOT closer to even than -2, but regardless, Wario just overall has slightly better tools and can avoid our grabs well enough that imo we have a slight disadvantage, nothing too bad though.
I agree. Final Destination is the best neutral stage to faces Wario.

battlefield´s plantaforms make the Wario´s air game more good.

If we go to a conclusion,this MU can change to much depending of the stage.

Maybe +1 on Final Destionation, even on smashville, -1 on battlefield.

the others stages I don´t have any idea.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
The thing about fighting Wario is that it becomes a battle of keeping a lead, not really of beating your opponent. Both characters can really struggle when it comes to trying to play catch up, since it's not really safe for either one to approach the other. We can sort of get away with biding our time and continuing to play defensively with eggs for a while, but if we're a stock down, it doesn't cut it.

Although it can be risky for Wario to approach us, he gets very good rewards for getting in, especially with Waft. Waft is honestly what makes this a -1 for me, because it gives him a very powerful catch up/reversal tool.

Yikarur

Smash Master
imo the Wario MU is -1 on Smashville. it's even on Battlefield.
I always ban SV against Wario (no Brinstar and RC here :awesome:)

PMC66

Smash Journeyman

That can´t be right.
Yoshi have an infinite Grab on Wario,and is not that hard to grab him.

Wario don´t have another option,he need to approach,because of the eggs,and when he do that,Yoshi can grab/pivot grab him easy.

Yoshi only need to use his defensive game as well here.

This match,for me its +2 or +1 for Yoshi.

That is almost right.

Put a +2 for Yoshi. Will be right.

I don´t think this is right.

Yoshi can punish Ike with his lag.
Eggs,grabs,pivot grabs,are all efective against Ike.

Ike have a terrible recovery,eggs cause a lot of trouble for him and its not hard to edgeguard him.

But ok... Ike have a good jab and tilts,but are all lagged.

For me,Its +1 for Yoshi.

Lucario is a ***** for Yoshi,but not THAT.

-2 for Yoshi.

Fox have good speed and attacks vs Yoshi,but Yoshi can kill Fox with not much %.

-1 for Yoshi.

Falco is terrible for Yoshi.

Can´t use eggs,its difficult to grab him,and kill moves have to much lag to catch Falco.

Yoshi have CG on Falco,but to grab him... also, falco´s CG on Yoshi owns this D:

-3 for Yoshi.
I agree with all of this except for Falco i don't feel he's particularly that bad, we're heavy so we can suck up damage. our pivot grab has good range and can stop his Illusions if timed right. Also Falco is ***** off stage with eggs, best tactic against falco is to get him off stage as much as possible. the air release chain grab also works on him which helps a little, but yeah he can be hard to grab up close he can beat Yoshi, his B-air does wonders against Yoshi.

i'd put it at -1/-2 i don't feel it's -3 I think Fox is slightly harder because he has a better recovery and kills alot faster. Might just be me though

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
If the Falco player knows this MU,he WILL use his blaster and his reflector to force
yoshi´s approach.

Pivot Grab can be effective,but the chances to work is reduced because that Falco will use a defensive gameplay.

And approaching a Falco for a Yoshi is bad idea,really.

When I play with a Falco player,I never use Yoshi,I use Lucas or Ness... yeah,I hate this MU.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I still think Falco is a harder MU than Lucario is the Falco knows what he's doing. At least against Lucario we dont have to deal with 40 times the projectiles moving way faster giving him frame advantage, a 2 frame jab, a CG, and phantasm if we happen to get in just to reset again. I mean, sure Falco is easier to kill, but good luck getting him to the point where he CAN be killed. I mean, with Lucario, we can at least do damage and kill off a nair or bomb while applying pressure. Just cuz our usmash and uair dont do great against Lucario doesnt mean we dont have other options... Against Lucario, we have A LOT more freedom and less constant pressure, and it's just generally easier to deal with him from just about any position on the field. I mean, Lucario's still bad, dont get me wrong, but Falco is worse imo.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I still think Falco is a harder MU than Lucario is the Falco knows what he's doing. At least against Lucario we dont have to deal with 40 times the projectiles moving way faster giving him frame advantage, a 2 frame jab, a CG, and phantasm if we happen to get in just to reset again. I mean, sure Falco is easier to kill, but good luck getting him to the point where he CAN be killed. I mean, with Lucario, we can at least do damage and kill off a nair or bomb while applying pressure. Just cuz our usmash and uair dont do great against Lucario doesnt mean we dont have other options... Against Lucario, we have A LOT more freedom and less constant pressure, and it's just generally easier to deal with him from just about any position on the field. I mean, Lucario's still bad, dont get me wrong, but Falco is worse imo.
I agree.

Also,can your guys please explains me R.O.B?
I don´t know nothing about this MU...

Also I think Marth is bad to faces too,but its playable.
(Yoshi saved me from that Marth´s infinite grabs on Ness and Lucas :awesome:)

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
OH HEY I KNOW THE ROB MU PRETTY WELL. What do you want to know about it? That's probably my most knowledgeable MU. :o

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
What I really need to do,its eggs efective?

How can I approach him with safety?

What I really can´t do with him?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
What you want to do is try and stay at about a mid range, where ROB's tilts wont reach, and do some empty short hops, fox trots, SHADs, egg tosses (both aerial like another short hop and grounded), etc, just to mess with his spacing. Dont try camping from far away as that just allows his lasers to be safe and gives him free gyros. Stay up in an area where if he tries to do anything, you can punish with a DJC egg lay, a dash attack, a dash grab, etc, and just keep the pressure on. Dont be too aggressive, as ROBs ftilt, fair, grab, and dsmash will eat any attempt to force your way in, and just constantly apply pressure just outside of his immediate range. If he tries to charge gyro, drop in with a nair or egg lay to force him out. To stop lasers, weave around with your short hops and such to make yourself unpredictable, and if you see one coming, punish. Over time, if you can keep pressure on ROB, he'll start running out of options and will be a little more aggressive. Take advantage of this by trying to get him into the air, where your usmash will be a huge threat and you can punish landings.

When it comes to approaching ROB, you need to get him airborne or low on shield first with your camping game. If an egg connects, try to pressure his landing or get an egg lay in. Once you get him there, try to juggle him. ROB falls slowly and isnt too fast in the air, so just keep the pressure on. If the ROB likes landing with moves like Fair, bait it with things like pivot grabs. If he nairs/bairs, sliding egg toss. If he tries to Air Dodge, dash grabs, egg lays, etc. Just try to keep him in the air. Now, lets say you cant get an egg toss or egg lay too connect, then just try to wither down his shield. ROB has a pretty easy to poke shield, so when it starts getting low, try getting bairs on it, or landing with nairs > jab/tilt mixups. When ROBs shield hits about halfway, he has to tilt his shield just to stop your tilts, so an angled ftilt will shield poke, as will dtilt. And, to make it even more annoying, falling nair > turn around bair can be a great mixup on his shield too. Basically, just play a heavy poke mid range game and apply as much shield pressure as you can, and once you get in, get him up and try to stay in.

Now, what you CANT do, is try to camp full stage, that just WONT work. He'll start getting free gyros which control the stage and allow him great movement with glide toss and more keep away options. It will also allow him to laser freely, and will allow ROB to get comfortable and just be a pain. You also cant force an approach when ROB is in a neutral state. His ftilt and fair will wall your options too well, and you need to work him down first. Also, dont try to compete with ROB in the air, try to always be below him. If he's below you, be VERY careful and just try to get to the ground as safely as possible, ROB trades really well with Yoshi and most of the time it wont be a good trade for us. When it comes to killing ROB, dont force it. A simple knock up > read with uair, nair, or usmash can handle that, as will a landing bait with fsmash or a punish with bomb. Kills really arent too difficult on ROB once you have him where you want him, so dont get horny for blood.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
No Lucas is not that bad for Lucas. Lucas can avoid grabs decently, can punish our camping midrange with side b, and can rack damage pretty well on yoshi. +1 is correct. We win only because of chain grab upsmash in my opinion. Lucas isnt one of the easiest to juggle at all. Lucas punishes yoshi throwing out pivot grabs with side b, which is what makes the matchup a little tough
Lucas not bad for Lucas?
Anyways, For Lucas I played Ravenlord at APEX. Even though I didn't know the MU I thought all I had to do, as you typed Delta, was "lol eggs and Pivot grab" but I got punished for doing that by his Side-B, And lost.

Lucario I think is still our hardest MU, had to play Trela this weekend in... Winners Semis? After the first game, I just started screwing around and trying to get myself in the game for whoever I needed to play in Losers. We can't win against Lucario mains that know what they're doing.

Ike may be even.
Ike is even, all that needs to be said.

imo the Wario MU is -1 on Smashville. it's even on Battlefield.
I always ban SV against Wario (no Brinstar and RC here :awesome:)
Out of the Wario's I've played, I was always on Smashville. Didn't think the moving platform made it from Even to -1.

the MU is really terrible.
It sometimes hurts when random Falcos I play just need to camp, use Bair, grab me to rack up damage and eventually kill me with USmash.

I still think Falco is a harder MU than Lucar-
No No No NO

Yikarur

Smash Master
well random Falco Players are bad at killing and I mostly live until 220% against bad falcos. (if Falco were noob-kill-friendly than the MU would even worse and Random Falcos would be a problem too)

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I never lose to random Falcos, just saying how they can do easy things to kill me.
And I usually die to them around 170 something percent.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I usually die to Falco around 170% as well unless something really gay happens lol. But random Falcos arent a problem, in fact, their not to bad at all, it's just the ones that know what theyre doing... omg...

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
When I play with a Falco player,I never use Yoshi,I use Lucas or Ness... yeah,I hate this MU.
Why do you use Ness? (I think Lucas v Falco is -1, but it's definitely -2 for Ness). I'm really just curious, because Ness (maybe Lucas) can't really do much until they're above 40ish%, then it's not as difficult as a -2...

I guess I never knew Falco was easier for Lucas/Ness than it was for Yoshi.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Why do you use Ness? (I think Lucas v Falco is -1, but it's definitely -2 for Ness). I'm really just curious, because Ness (maybe Lucas) can't really do much until they're above 40ish%, then it's not as difficult as a -2...

I guess I never knew Falco was easier for Lucas/Ness than it was for Yoshi.
Before I learned how to use Yoshi,I played with Falco players ALOT with Ness and Lucas,also,I know what to do when I use those characters,but really,Ness and Lucas suffer to Falco too,but not as bad as Yoshi.

Also,Yoshi don´t have a PSI like Ness and Lucas to stop that Falco´s blaster spam :awesome:

Another thing:

About Mario: I think Yoshi can have a little advantage of +1,tomorrow I explain why because now it´s already 2:10 AM here...

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Yink, Yoshi cant even Powershield lasers.
Completely forgot about that. </3

Also, Magnet doesn't do anything bro if you need to be PAST 40 at least...otherwise you have fear of getting dair'd offstage after the CG (which for both the PK kids is really quite dangerous).

Once you get past it then it's a lot easier, and if you find yourself in the lead of Falco, then good job.

But yeah I'm not even talking about Yoshi, so shame on me.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Completely forgot about that. </3

Also, Magnet doesn't do anything bro if you need to be PAST 40 at least...otherwise you have fear of getting dair'd offstage after the CG (which for both the PK kids is really quite dangerous).

Once you get past it then it's a lot easier, and if you find yourself in the lead of Falco, then good job.

But yeah I'm not even talking about Yoshi, so shame on me.
Lucas´ Magnet works much better than Ness´ Magnet.

Top Bottom