• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Matchup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Lol i dunno, i just came back from a tournament =P Im not really sure if its 4-6, I just felt like spitting that out =P, but heres kinda what happened vs TKD:
He spaces fairs and such mid range. IF you throw an egg, you get punished. If you grab, you get punished. If you dash attack(not that i use that move anyways) you get punished. If you bair, you get faired or tornadod. Its really annoying, and very hard to beat. I think we (me and him), both agree that yoshi is disadvantaged in the matchup. But, w/e i dont really care =P

Mmac

Smash Lord
TKD? He changes his mind so much to the point where he always agrees with anything what you tell him. He agreed that Yoshi was Even when I played him. Then again, I kicked his *** :yoshi:

D

Deleted member

He doesnt play online. Lol.

Not really, i kinda actually know him so yea =/

Mmac

Smash Lord
He doesnt play online. Lol. He told me he spams tornado online and wins.

Not really, i kinda actually know him so yea =/
No wonder I killed him :laugh:

Meh, he does change his mind alot anyways. At least, on the forums he does.

I beat more credible MetaKnights online though. Overswarm, Redhalberd just to name a few, so I still think it's evenish. I haven't really lost to many MetaKnights.

D

Deleted member

No wonder I killed him :laugh:

Meh, he does change his mind alot anyways. At least, on the forums he does.

I beat more credible MetaKnights online though. Overswarm, Redhalberd just to name a few, so I still think it's evenish. I haven't really lost to many MetaKnights.
ANd theres your answer :laugh:. I beat lots of good MKs too when i played online(and i beat good ones offline too).

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I really think that R.O.B. is a neutral match-up. They both have moves that can counter each other. R.O.B. can't approach in the air because of your up-smash, but it is also hard for Yoshi to approach in the air because of his tilts. He out-ranges Yoshi in the ground, but Yoshi is a little bit faster. They can both tack on damage while edge-guarding, but they can't necessarily gimp each other. And they both have projectiles than can be spammed against each other.

For Falco... I'm not sure. It could be even, but it's hard to approach Falco with his Lasers and Reflector...

Apparently, you want discussion on Zelda. OK, here is a brief run-down about her:

She out-ranges Yoshi
She is more powerful than Yoshi
She is slower than Yoshi
She is easier to gimp than Yoshi
She is much lighter than Yoshi
She has a better projectile
She has a reflector with invincibility frames
She has a broken up-smash

What I'm not sure about is how Yoshi and Zelda do in aerial combat. Her f-air and b-air have surprisingly long range, but do they beat Yoshi's aerials?

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
She does, and pretty nicely, actually. Plus, those sparkles are freaking deadly to him.

By the way.... hi Onxy! What are you doing in this neck of the woods?

bigman40

Smash Master
Time to argue here. I'm gonna say that Yoshi can go even against ToonLink. I'll post more about this after I get back from my meeting (and I have great experience. Got a TL mainer that's beast at my college.)

bigman40

Smash Master
K, since my recent experience with a really good TL, I've come to believe that it's even. Up close, Yoshi can go even with in range, speed, and priority (Yoshi loses a little in priority, but still, it's fairly close). As much as he seems, TL's get very predictable when he needs to approach.

From a distance, I can say that it'll be annoying for Yoshi to approach. Egg tossing will have to slow him down, while you slowly approach him (to about mid range).

Neither character can out edge guard the other, and recovery is a little in favor of Yoshi's (being able to reliably DJAD right past him, and fight in the air easily with eggs).

In the air, TL has the advantage (won't lie about that), but it'll be harder for him to space since we have alot of aerial speed (bait out a Bair or Fair, then rush in to punish).

Just my thoughts, so if others think differently then let me know where.

D

Deleted member

Problem is he out prioritizes, out camps, and is very good at stopping approaches and not getting grabbed. Arrow cancelling aerials is kinda gay.

bigman40

Smash Master
Problem is he out prioritizes, out camps, and is very good at stopping approaches and not getting grabbed. Arrow cancelling aerials is kinda gay.
Stocky, you camp too much. XD

Honestly, when I play my friend's TL, I find that Yoshi's best spot is truly mid-range. I haven't met TL spammers, but I can say that as soon as my friend tries to spam them (he's decent at it), I can shut them down, and push him to make a move.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the TL main was a previous Yoshi mainer. The first time I met him (I mainly knew nothing about TL's), I 2 stocked his TL. Now, I can still 1 stock him since he knows my strat, but yeah...

D

Deleted member

And there you have it, you have been successfully camped by toonlink, you still havent approached, and he still got distance, so now he can pull a bomb.

D

Deleted member

O, i thot he meant just swat it away. Well im not sure if nair or bair or fair beat yoshis back air, but ill give it to ya, cuz i dont have very much good TL experience.

Sharky

Smash Master
I've got a decent amount of toon link experience, as well, and I agree with Bigs on this one. Other than the bomb, his projectiles have terrible priority, so approaching isn't that big of a problem. The bomb isn't much of an issue, either, cause it's terribly easy to read what he's going to do with it, for the most part. Biggest thing to watch out for is spacing at close range, because unless you got lucky with your eggs, You're gonna have to approach him, not vice-versa.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Prehaps we should bring in some Toon Link's, see what they think.

Also if Toon Link gets lowered, do you think Link should be lowered also, as the main basis is that Link is harder than Toon Link?

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I've been saying for awhile that Link should be lower than he is right now. I still think Snake should be a more pertinent discussion at the moment, but I'd certainly like to get some TL players' opinion on this particular match-up since that's what's being discussed at the moment.

(Incidentally, when are we planning on changing the topic title?)

bigman40

Smash Master
It'd be up to you guys if you do a Link discussion. I don't have anyone that plays Link near me.

*drops from boards but continues to lurk*

Unrefined

Smash Journeyman
I play link personally, looking at it from playing both characters... Yoshi should eat him up. Link has ridiculous amounts of wakeup on almost all of his moves and he has the most precise non broken hitboxes for his moves in the game i think, there usually isnt any, "how did that hit me, it wasnt even close" with link. His recovery is soo easily abused also. He may have an edge in alot of priority being its a disjointed hitbox for most of his moves. As long as you can approach, which is pretty easy due to his boomerang only doing dmg on its way out... you can eat link up inclose.

TL has some nice aeriels that make things a bit difficult when you get close, but that matchup is much more favorable than being away from him.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Link has been dropped to 3.5:6.5.

@ Unrefined: Link's boomerang would help Yoshi approach, therefore he doesn't use it. He can pretty much get by with just arrows, then grabs you when you get closer. Bombs are also annoying in most situations.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I updated the chart, but I'm thinking of posting the updates to the Story thread. I just feel like it's causing problems....

Changes:
Falco to Undecided
Toon Link to 4.5
Bowser to 6
Luigi to 5
Link to 4

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
What's causing problems? The chart?
Different opinions are always welcome. Just because I disagree with them doesn't mean they can't be right.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
My view of the matchups:

Mario: 45:55
Luigi: 45:55
Peach: 40:60
Bowser: 60:40
Donkey Kong: 40:60
Diddy: 55:45
Wario: 65:35
Yoshi: 50:50
Link: 35:65
Zelda: 50:50
Sheik: 50:50
Ganondorf: 80:20
Toon Link: 45:55
Samus: 60:40
Zero Suit Samus: 55:45
Pit: 50:50
Ice Climbers: 55:45
R.O.B: 35:65
Kirby: 50:50
Meta Knight: 50:50
King Dedede: 40:60
Olimar: 60:40
Fox: 55:45
Falco: 40:60
Wolf: 40:60
Captian Falcon: 50:50
Pikachu: 45:55
Pokemon Trainer: 60:40
Squirtle: 75:25
Ivysaur: 50:50
Charizard: 55:45
Lucario: 25:75
Jigglypuff: 65:35
Marth: 35:65
Ike: 50:50
Ness: 40:60
Lucas: 60:40
Mr. Game & Watch: 30:70
Snake: 40:60
Sonic: 60:40

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I wouldn't put R.O.B. that far ahead of Yoshi. Yoshi's air mobility is about a billion times better than R.O.B, and R.O.B. has no good way of landing any killing blows.

And Captain Falcon at 50/50? No freaking way. Falcon dies against Yoshi.

MrEh

Smash Hero
His UpB is a pain yes, I admit to that
Just like in Melee, the Fortress is one of the few things that Bowser has going for him.

His grab release is annoying, but we're the ONLY character not effected by it! We can escape every option easily.
You got that right. Well, DK is somewhat unaffected as well, but we'll talk about the ape another day. :p

I'm not sure if many people here know who the heck I am, but I was one of those crazy idiots (Vex included) who tried to test every single one of Bowser's grab releases in the game.

Yoshi, for some bizarre reason, has some bizarre physics attached to him after being grabbed. Sometimes Bowser will be close enough to hit him after a grab, but most often Yoshi will simply float/slide away. It's really weird and I have no way of explaining it. It's definitely good news for you Yoshi players though.

Vex documented that it may be possible for Bowser to hit Yoshi out of a jump release with a Fair though, so I think the best way to counter this would be to just jump. Jumping will essentially protect Yoshi from all of Bowser's grab release attacks.

Bowser to 6
I dunno...this is a really weird matchup to begin with, since both Bowser and Yoshi has truly unique playing styles. Yoshi can counter a lot of Bowser's tricks, but at the same time, Bowser has his own special ways of dealing with his opponents. It's obviously not an even matchup, more towards Yoshi's favor, but we really need to figure out exactly how much of an advantage Yoshi has.

First of all, Yoshi can force Bowser to approach by chucking eggs at him. Bowser, having no projectile, obviously hates a projectile spam. A word of advice would be to spam eggs whenever possible. It's fast, Bowser's a big target, and best of all, it's a very safe way to tack on small amounts of damage. As long as there's a gap between you two, chuck an egg. there's no harm in.

Playing offensively is also good idea, but you must be careful not to get too offensive. Remember that Bowser is a defensive character, and punishing mistakes is definitely his forte. If Bowser can shield your approach, then you're probably going to get a Fortress in the face. As long as you keep from being predictable, you should be fine.

D

Deleted member

IF YOU WANT TO HEAR MY ARGUMENTS FOR FALCON VS YOSHI, FIND IT YOURSELF I AM NOT GONNA RETYPE THAT SHIZ.

Cap locks r fun =D

But yes, falcon=yoshi, if you say falcon has no priority and gets grabbed easily i will eat you and your babies. Thank you.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
IF YOU WANT TO HEAR MY ARGUMENTS FOR FALCON VS YOSHI, FIND IT YOURSELF I AM NOT GONNA RETYPE THAT SHIZ.

Cap locks r fun =D

But yes, falcon=yoshi, if you say falcon has no priority and gets grabbed easily i will eat you and your babies. Thank you.
Well, he doesn't have any priority and does get grabbed easily, but those are only a part of the problem. I shall once again bring out the list...

-Easily (and I mean EASILY) camped.
-Has NO approach whatsoever.
-Has no projectile.
-Has no way to deal with projectiles.
-Has unbelievably sucky kill moves without exception.
-No combo power.
-Sub-par recovery.
-Easily gimped.
-Relatively easy CG for Yoshi.
-Out-poked by Yoshi.
-Out-ranged by Yoshi.
-Essentially, gets dominated no matter what his positioning is.
-Has no advantageous counterpick stages against Yoshi whatsoever.
-COMPLETELY SUCKS.

And this is coming from a guy that actually likes playing as Captain Falcon. There is absolutely NOTHING Falcon has over Yoshi, except for the knockback on the kill moves he's not going to land.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom