• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Matchup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I took a look at what you guys had to say about the Sonic matchup.

The self-proclaimed 'ex Sonic main' that came by and helped you guys out sounds like he barely had an idea of what he was talking about, and I did a search for his posts, and his last major activity on the Sonic boards was like, April, so he probably stopped maining Sonic by then.

He did mention 'new tricks' in the form of ASC, but he didn't say anything about cancelling the spins altogether, especially when everyone was like "yeah, we can catch Sonic when he jumps/springs/whatever from his spindash".
`.`; what about if Sonic has a charged aerial spincharge, releases it, and shieldcancels it when he lands?

How punishable are your normal reactions to an un-cancelled spindash?

Anyway, I didn't really come here to argue about the matchup, I just wanted a Yoshi main to reply to this lol.

Sonic ***** low tiers.

no joke, i can go through the entier list and explain it.
CF: does everything he can do but better.
Ganon: faster, can combo easily and can gimp.
Samus, big target, and you can easily run under z-air, her best move.
Link: also big, kinda slow, and has NO recovery.
Lucas: not a problem
(the next 3 are subjective because thats how the rules are in my area)
one stock MK: even sonic can kill this mofo once...
no pikmin olimar: completely useless
solo popo, not strong enough to do anything,
ness: i thought this might be a challenge, but unless you are playing a top level ness, you have nothing to worry about because we can CG him

yoshi: if he blocks an ASC he has to take the shield canceled grab, i cant believe he has anything fast enough to counter this, so his options are take a 20% ASC to the dome, or take a 15-20% grab with a kill setup, this is better than any grab release combos he has.
I'm of the mindset that the S/Y matchup is at least 55:45 for Yoshi, or 60:40 if we just use the straight 'on-paper' matchup (mindgames/cancels taken out of the equation), but either way, I don't believe Sonic '*****' Yoshi.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: LOL @ Goggles!

He has no idea how the matchup plays itself out. His heart is in the right place, though. Poor guy.

As good as Sonic's spin tricks are (and he has quite a few), Yoshi is forced into approximately zero (and I'm being honest) bad positions from them as long as he's on the ground. In the air, fine, the aerial cancels and spins (I'd use all the fancy abbreviations, but I can't even remember them all--I don't know how you kids do it) will go through most of what we are doing as up air can't be used and neutral air can break them, but isn't always the best choice or always available.

I suppose if someone really just stood there in a shield, they could get ASC-to-cancel grabbed, but it's pretty embarrassing and the only way you'll catch Yoshi sitting in shield in this matchup is if Yoshi hasn't really played Sonic before or isn't confident is his or her options or counter tactics. Sonic has a great punishing tool in his dash attack if he baits bad pivot grabs or spotdodges and can punish fairly well with his down tilt as well just outside of close range, and I think he should rely more on his A button for being offensive if Yoshi is grounded. If a confident Yoshi is on the ground, the B button on the Sonic controller stands for BAD.

Mmac

Smash Lord
The guy sucks at explaining matchups. You can't get away with one run on sentence, especially since Yoshi isn't suppose to shield often at all. Also OS MK, Nolimar, Solo IC? Wtf is with this ruleset?!?

There's no direct way of countering an ASC, because there's no telling when exactly his going to cancel it.... Pivot Grab I guess would be the best counter, while Jab, Bair, and even a Counter Egg Roll are good also. I still think it's 6:4 Yoshi, even with the cancels.

I can't really stay for long, I just got back, and now I got to go again, so sorry for only a breif thesis

Tenki

Smash Hero
:yoshi: LOL @ Goggles!

He has no idea how the matchup plays itself out. His heart is in the right place, though. Poor guy.

As good as Sonic's spin tricks are (and he has quite a few), Yoshi is forced into approximately zero (and I'm being honest) bad positions from them as long as he's on the ground. In the air, fine, the aerial cancels and spins (I'd use all the fancy abbreviations, but I can't even remember them all--I don't know how you kids do it) will go through most of what we are doing as up air can't be used and neutral air can break them, but isn't always the best choice or always available.

I suppose if someone really just stood there in a shield, they could get ASC-to-cancel grabbed, but it's pretty embarrassing and the only way you'll catch Yoshi sitting in shield in this matchup is if Yoshi hasn't really played Sonic before or isn't confident is his or her options or counter tactics. Sonic has a great punishing tool in his dash attack if he baits bad pivot grabs or spotdodges and can punish fairly well with his down tilt as well just outside of close range, and I think he should rely more on his A button for being offensive if Yoshi is grounded. If a confident Yoshi is on the ground, the B button on the Sonic controller stands for BAD.
ooo you called him Goggles :laugh: have you played him before?

our abbreviations is how we separate the useless fanboys from the ones who might actually be able to do something in actual matches XD
not really, but it kind of helps.

But yeah, the spins aren't necessarily for direct attacks. In a large majority of my gameplay, spins are used either to punish move lag, or not used directly on my opponent (baits/'pins').

You did mention the ASC>grab, and about dash attack as a punisher, but I'm personally wondering about what Yoshi's 'counter' options are to it, and how punishable they are. You did mention spotdodge, shield, and pivot grab, but I'm sure there are other things you can do about it ;]

For example, if Sonic has a high charged ASC and aims to land it say... at the tip of your forward roll's range such that, if not cancelled upon landing, he would reach you in under half a second, it kind of 'pressures' or 'pins' you to commit to a defensive or an offensive stance, whether it's shorthopping to do an aerial, running backwards and getting ready for a pivot grab, running forward and doing a dash grab, preparing an attack, or shielding.

Tenki

Smash Hero
it was in the yoshi's broken thread, but NO IT'S NOT OKAY. YOU HAVE TO PAY ME 5$ FOR USING MY IMAGE I made that picture so people can laugh at it and/or use it.
go ahead lol.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
So.
Given that I'm done with Brawl (haven't played in over two months) and I'm headed back to Melee, and also since Mmac made his own thread because he is wrong disagrees with me, this thread can pretty much be locked or unstickied or whatever.
This could also be my "see you later" post but I don't feel like making a scene. Mods, do your stuff.

Bwett

Smash Ace
So.
Given that I'm done with Brawl (haven't played in over two months) and I'm headed back to Melee, and also since Mmac made his own thread because he is wrong disagrees with me, this thread can pretty much be locked or unstickied or whatever.
This could also be my "see you later" post but I don't feel like making a scene. Mods, do your stuff.
We appreciate your hard work :)

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
LMFAO!
No hard feelings mang. To be honest, I was waiting for you to make your own thread. I haven't updated this one in too long, so it's pretty out of date, and I have a lot less free time to spend here nowadays.
Remember how I said I wasn't going to make a scene? Just kidding. This thread will soon be closed anyway, so here's some shoutouts...

Lil'B/Yoster: You say don't get much respect, but you're both reppin' Yoshi in the South. Keep it up and you'll get noticed eventually.
Mmac: Get to tournies!!! (if you can...) Wi-Fi is for people with a lot less skill than you.
Shiri: Southwestern Chicken Bacon Cheddar Ranch?
Burntsocks: Stocky! Keep up the pessimism, please. With me gone you're the only one to do so.
Scatz: We didn't really do much, but you have a very respectable Yoshi. Keep the Nikes moving.
Chaco: Looks like I'll never get that grudgematch...
Bwett: You're doing great, keep going. Most of the Yoshi rankings are a testament to your skill.
Scarlet Jile: The only person who can say silly-billy and still be a stud.

Everyone else who I didn't mention, sorry, but that's it. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to the Melee boards.

:yoshi:

B0NK

Smash Lord
Lil'B/Yoster: You say don't get much respect, but you're both reppin' Yoshi in the South.
Lol, they get plenty of respect in this area. And Virginia (Especially NoVA), is in the Atlantic North Region.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
LMFAO!
No hard feelings mang. To be honest, I was waiting for you to make your own thread. I haven't updated this one in too long, so it's pretty out of date, and I have a lot less free time to spend here nowadays.
Remember how I said I wasn't going to make a scene? Just kidding. This thread will soon be closed anyway, so here's some shoutouts...

Lil'B/Yoster: You say don't get much respect, but you're both reppin' Yoshi in the South. Keep it up and you'll get noticed eventually.
Mmac: Get to tournies!!! (if you can...) Wi-Fi is for people with a lot less skill than you.
Shiri: Southwestern Chicken Bacon Cheddar Ranch?
Burntsocks: Stocky! Keep up the pessimism, please. With me gone you're the only one to do so.
Scatz: We didn't really do much, but you have a very respectable Yoshi. Keep the Nikes moving.
Chaco: Looks like I'll never get that grudgematch...
Bwett: You're doing great, keep going. Most of the Yoshi rankings are a testament to your skill.
Scarlet Jile: The only person who can say silly-billy and still be a stud.

Everyone else who I didn't mention, sorry, but that's it. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to the Melee boards.

:yoshi:
notice whos name is first on the shoutouts lol

peace kiwi good luck on whateva u do and **** lol

.Marik

is a social misfit
I need to get Brawl again, and you guys type so much.. >_> I never have time to read it all..

I just want to read the matchups, and that's it. And how Yoshi can take advantage of that particular character.

Mmac, you are my ****ing hero.

Same with Bwett, and all you other people that make me proud I'm maining Yoshi.

Keep it up with the good ****. :)

YoshiGuy123

Smash Rookie
I use Yoshi as my main and my brother's main is lucario and my other brother's is snake, Yoshi fairs well against snake and o.k. against lucario, and my best friend plays as ness which i fair pretty well against also. Just sayin.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Forward air? Really? That seems really odd. Unless you're talking about against their recovery.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
And I've seen their mothers, and I will no other, to follow me where I'm going...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom