• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering what made you guys begin playing as Yoshi.
I began playing as Yoshi because I just love the character to death. He's my favorite video game character by a long shot, and it started with Mario Kart 64. I also like his playstyle, and his Egg Throwing, specifically. Also, it's not really a secret that he isn't really that good of a character in Smash, and I've always liked using those kinds of characters that people think aren't that great, such as Ness as well.

Another thing I really like are his taunts and victory poses. Especially the victory pose where he turns around and looks away from the camera like a bad***.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman

So, how about that Wooly World? It makes me so happy that they brought back that noise he made in Yoshi's Story before throwing an egg!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I am most upset with E3 when related to Yoshi. Only time they showed him was him getting hit or landing a second before his double jump ended.
y are they hiding him so much.
Also Wooly World seems like a nice cutesy game I'd buy a few months after its release in hopes of price lower.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
I don't think he ftilted enough :p

I'm really liking these changes though, Yoshi's going to be a force to be reckoned with! I'll add the Usmash to my post on Slush's moveset thread.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Problem with the Usmash change, even if they kept the old Nose smash. Is that the invincibility seems like it's most likely gahn.
GONE
DAMMIT

Eggroll seems like it doesn't do that half second animation it does in brawl to turn (turns faster) and DJ does indeed look faster, none of that ducking body down then DJ working thing.
Yoshi seems a lot better, and that's almost everything fer him now outside of one or two moves I believe, now we just need to find out frame data how fast etc.

Should also mention he threw out Fair randomly a couple times.

Last edited:

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
I'm really liking what I'm seeing. Egg Roll looks a lot better and actually usable. The double jump is fast, and I actually like the new Usmash more than the old one. It seems a lot faster coming out and the ending lag seems pretty short.

One thing though. At 0:06 in the video, did he like...Egg Roll in midair then cancel out of it with an air dodge or jump? If that the case, then it's kinda cool to see that he can Egg Roll midair and not go into his helpless animation and even double jump and air dodge afterwards.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
There was a similar thing Shaya found yesterday with Fox Side-B and being able to DJ and UpB still.
In my thread I mentioned how it seems like Yoshi could jump around while in eggroll, along with this video it actually seemed more like he immediately jumped/DJ without even breaking the egg (no sign of eggshells).

That'd be a gigantic buff if he can do this.

Edit: Nvm, upon pausing a million times I found a shot where he actually hops off Rush. Dang he can't jump out of his egg, but it seems like he can possibly jump around while in it tho.
If anything, new buff also being his shield has the right colors for what color you're using.

Last edited:

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice

More footage of Yoshi things. Not much is new here though.

- Final Smash is still Super Dragon (Yay, no Eggdozer)
- Right at the start of the match, Yoshi starts Egg Rolling. It's much faster, and it also turns around much more quickly.
- At 1:25, Yoshi Egg Lays Fox, and he stays in there a really long time. I believe he was pressing some buttons to get out of it too, from looking at how much the Egg rocks back and forth. He Egg Lays Samus soon after too, who doesn't stay in the Egg for nearly as long. And it does look like the Egg drops pretty fast after Yoshi poops out the egg.

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
I have a weird question. What are yoshi's alternate colors in SSB4? I want my dark blue yoshi, Darn it!

Klaww

Smash Cadet
NNID
KlawwTheClown
3DS FC
1220-6841-7284
I have a weird question. What are yoshi's alternate colors in SSB4? I want my dark blue yoshi, Darn it!
I've seen gameplay of your dark blue Yoshi, as well as my yellow Yoshi.

I'm actually trying to think if I've seen any others but I don't think so (other than green).

I mean, I haven't been actively looking for game footage anymore. I'd assume red Yoshi would be the third one in the demo though.

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
I've seen gameplay of your dark blue Yoshi, as well as my yellow Yoshi.

I'm actually trying to think if I've seen any others but I don't think so (other than green).

I mean, I haven't been actively looking for game footage anymore. I'd assume red Yoshi would be the third one in the demo though.
Well, that is good news for me!

Scatz

Smash Champion
Basic colors that Yoshi had in Melee and Brawl. No additions of changes from what I know.

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
I'm just hoping they finally implement black, white, and orange Yoshi. Don't really know why they haven't brought those to Smash yet. I really wanna play as Black Yoshi. =\

D

Deleted member

Why not purple Yoshi? Then I can finally say that Barney is playable in Smash Bros.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I just hope Yoshi's B+air chains into up+tilt like it did in Brawl. Best way to set up cats.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
'ello there. Yoshi player here. Probably gonna keep it this way.

I was wondering what made you guys begin playing as Yoshi.
Considering I was obsessed with the species since I was four, his fighting style's been embedded in me since 64.

It also helps that I have this annoying OCD thing where I have to choose characters that there's more than one of, or else it feels like I'm breaking canon. It's silly, I know, but hey, there's hundreds of Yoshis. Super easy to make an OC from them.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
I have to say, given today's picture of the day (Light Suit Samus and 'merica Mario) and previous ones, it seems almost impossible for Yoshi to not have the four/five colors not referenced in Smash so far.

I mean, with a costume reference as obscure as this one for Mario, it would be pretty absurd if Yoshi didn't have all of his standard colors as they appear in the latest Yoshi's Islands.

The_Skilled44

Smash Rookie
NNID
The_Skilled44
I'm so happy with what they're doin with my main and I really can't wait to try out my yoshi combos in smash 4 I'm too hype right now

Yikarur

Smash Master
Link doesn't work for me either :(

I really love that Yoshis Shield's color is now in his respective color. Thats amazing !

Overall I just love Yoshi. I just watched every Yoshi Video I could find on youtube. He is so nimble.
The new dash attack is soo fast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p4ZeisGjMk
he uses the dash attack a lot, soo fast.
Much lol at the shield break :)

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Huh, the picture broke for some reason. Here it is again:

And to add insult to injury this was revealed on the same day as the all-digital platinum rewards for the US. :(
I know I shouldn't be complaining about a free game, but I was really looking forward to at least something physical...

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Tbh, not being from the US it doesn't affect me, but I can easily see how bad the rewards are this year for you guys, a lot of people will have already had the games they're offering or aren't interested. It costs a lot to get to that level, yet the MK8 promotion is a way better deal and much much cheaper, I'd feel cheaped out and ripped off in your guys shoes :(

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
You know, I kinda have to wonder. Why hasn't Yoshi's Final Smash been changed to Super Happy Yoshi, when he's still going to have a Transformation Smash? Doesn't that kinda fit better, with him now facing upright?

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
I'd like to see a Yoshi Stampede rushing over the stage, throwing eggs, shooting fireballs, stomping the ground and all the stuff from Super Mario World.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
You know, I kinda have to wonder. Why hasn't Yoshi's Final Smash been changed to Super Happy Yoshi, when he's still going to have a Transformation Smash? Doesn't that kinda fit better, with him now facing upright?
Super Happy Yoshi made him invincible, gave unlimited eggs (#20eggs) and increased his attributes (running, tongue length and I think jumping?) Final smashes already make you invincible and just increasing his stats probably wouldnt really feel that special or powerful like other ones.
Creativity is good though, hope it doesn't feel like I'm dissing it D:>

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I know many would be against this.

What would you say about Yoshi having a standard second jump and his flutter jump becoming his new up special?

The Special Moveset I personality want would go like this.

B: Egg Lay
Side B: Egg Throw
Up B: Flutter Jump
Down B: Ground Pound

Yikarur

Smash Master
Has anyone played at the ComicCon and got some impressions?

Last edited:

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I know many would be against this.

What would you say about Yoshi having a standard second jump and his flutter jump becoming his new up special?

The Special Moveset I personality want would go like this.

B: Egg Lay
Side B: Egg Throw
Up B: Flutter Jump
Down B: Ground Pound

Yyyyeah no. I'll be the first to be against this, I suppose. At this stage, Flutter Jump being a special move would just feel weird. And I like his Egg Roll so I really don't want to see that go, especially now that (I believe) it doesn't make Yoshi helpless anymore. Yoshi can keep his moves the same, just tweaked to make him better.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Yyyyeah no. I'll be the first to be against this, I suppose. At this stage, Flutter Jump being a special move would just feel weird. And I like his Egg Roll so I really don't want to see that go, especially now that (I believe) it doesn't make Yoshi helpless anymore. Yoshi can keep his moves the same, just tweaked to make him better.
It's really just that second jump just feels awkward and tends to screw me over.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I've always loved Yoshi for his weird movement mechanics. So many other characters in Smash Bros you can just be good with them fairly quickly because the general rules are the same for them. But Yoshi is like Neo, the rules don't apply to him and he plays very differently. If you're battling a competent and trained Yoshi, you know you're in for a tough one. And all the awkward sounds he makes.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Yoshi's value has always been in his nontraditional playstyle. He has a very high skill ceiling because there's so many things he can do that no other fighter can. So, yeah, Flutter Jump would not be a good special.

Top Bottom