• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Tournament Results: End of an Era, A New Beginning? *updated August 19th

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Play N Trade Tournament 2/4/11
4th/18
Franklin Square, New York
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=297072

Cool Story Bro Moment here
I really wish I didn't get used to wiimote+nunchuck. It's too late now.
Will add this result in a bit, Also give me the tag you use in matches.

It's story time for MLG Dallas!
I used Classic Controller up till I was told we can't use Classic Controllers since it requires a Wiimote, I needed to buy a Gamecube controller cause MLG dallas doesn't allow Wiimotes.
So got a controller wednesday, practiced all of thursday and left friday for MLG.
The next week after MLG was over I got 5th at the next tournament doing pretty well and taking names.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=291335
The morale of the story is, Use a Gamecube controller and try it for a day or so and you'll be use to it in no time.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
My tag is usually C-los but I'd prefer if you use "Raptr" for the results. You know, some of my friends have been telling me to drop the wiichuck as well. I guess i'll give it a try but don't be suprised if I don't like the gc controller. Been playing with wiichuck since release.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Play N Trade Tournament 2/4/11
4th/18
Franklin Square, New York
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=297072

This tournament was a true dissapointment. Barely lost to the Wolf that won the whole thing. I was going to win the third game but I started playing stupid and he caught on to me. He got that set. Had to beat a bunch of people in losers to get up to losers semis. In this set i was up to game 2 with the first win and out of nowhere my wiimote gets desynched. I am off the stage and fall to my death at 40%. The game ends last stock last hit with my opponent winning. I end up losing game 3 as well. I place 4th and get no prize. :( Honestly think I could have pulled off at least second.
Checked the results, and the wolf you lost to isn't a bad one, so you shouldn't feel bad, especially since the MU isn't the easiest in the world. The fact that you did well is really good.

I really wish I didn't get used to wiimote+nunchuck. It's too late now.
It's not too late. I used the wiichuck up until my first tournament appearance, where I switched a couple weeks before going. It's not too hard to adjust, and even if you don't like it, the wiichuck isn't awful and you can definitely do well with it, just gotta accept that sometimes gay **** like a desync will happen.

Sharky: Just Deltacod.

But really, it's not too hard to do basically. Just know that we can pretty much pivot grab everything, so as long as you're careful with it and don't throw them out only to get Dair'd/nair'd, you'll be good. Mix in pivot grabs with running Usmashes if you need space or to break a habit, and make sure to use some eggs if the GnW is being very very patient and is just jumping back and forth without doing anything. If you're really careful and don't do anything stupidly unsafe, you can live for a long while. Same goes for GnW, but I'd say our Usmash is more reliable in the MU.

Just read his attack patterns and counter them. We have plenty of options, you just need to pick the right one.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Well Delta, I'm not upset at the fact that I lost. In fact, i'm proud that I took a Wolf like his to game 3 with Yoshi. I'm just mad at the fact that I ALMOST had that set but lost it. >_> Thanks for the support though. :)

Sinister Slush, shouldn't that previous result get me a green name in the first post?

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
You made more money than me with the same placing but at a smaller tournament. D=

Good job. :)
Thanks lol. The funny thing about this is that the entry fee total was $15 and there was 12 people meaning 180$ was made. They gave out a total of 175$ in store credit. $5 profit for them and 50$ profit for yoshi :)

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I like how if you just take the first mains from the top 4, it looks like this:

1. :diddy:
2. :yoshi2:
3. :diddy:
4. :diddy:

Good sheee~

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Thanks, I'll definitely need it. My state is overrun by spacies @___@

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
If pretty damn confident I'll place over 13th as I almost always do, I just hope I can break out of my streak of 9th and 7th place. 5th or higher is my goal, just gotta go balls out against XDDD, Marz, DS4, Gkirbs, and the top 5, they're the only ones who can ever beat me.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Updated OP with tournament I entered, time for a Re-cap of the tournament. (Which i'll probably start doing for now on since I don't have to post results)

The Joys of Winners Bracket

Got a bye along with half the people in the tournament.
Beat A wolf main that goes as Sama, which I thought i'd lose against but thankfully did not.
K Prime was next, He handed me **** on a silver pladder. My only hope of trying to take a game off him was NORFAIR! Which was for some reason not banned at the tournament. But closest I got was both of us at last stock around 90+%

The horror of Losers Bracket

Had to play KoN, Last tournament I played him at "Zigsta's Blizzard Beach" I was running on no food, 4 hours of sleep after a grueling 33 hours of staying awake and SD twice in each set during that tournament. This tournament though... Lost on Battlefield by only two fresh Nairs, I CP Rainbow Cruise and win, he CPs Brinstar and I **** him on it. It was such irony with a Yoshi winning on RC AND Brinstar which's apparently good for MK.

Next was Kyro, He defeated me cause I Suicided once in each set. First set for some reason I got this sharp pain in my arm (That's right JOHNS) and tried to shrug it off. Was doing good until It came up again and then started playing slower/worse cause of the pain, I then SD from the Gyro thinking I could Airdodge and grab it, I now know it won't work. I CP to Rainbow Cruise cause since it worked on KoN I thought it'd work on ROB. Sadly though, pain still making me less focused I SD when we both had one or two moves to kill eachother, tried to dashgrab but one of those falling Platforms made me stop in my Tracks do a Standing grab and wasn't paying attention so realized I was about to die until I noticed Yoshi in the bubble, IT WAS TOO LATE.

Overral I got 13th and was hoping to break the curse, but Kyro had to play derks G&W, it was sorta weird watching him trying to do the usual camping with Ness's UpB and SideB but for G&W to bucket everything and use it against him once he was grabbed.

/HARD COOL STORY BRO

Kyronexx

Smash Apprentice
Updated OP with tournament I entered, time for a Re-cap of the tournament. (Which i'll probably start doing for now on since I don't have to post results)

The Joys of Winners Bracket

Got a bye along with half the people in the tournament.
Beat A wolf main that goes as Sama, which I thought i'd lose against but thankfully did not.
K Prime was next, He handed me **** on a silver pladder. My only hope of trying to take a game off him was NORFAIR! Which was for some reason not banned at the tournament. But closest I got was both of us at last stock around 90+%

The horror of Losers Bracket

Had to play KoN, Last tournament I played him at "Zigsta's Blizzard Beach" I was running on no food, 4 hours of sleep after a grueling 33 hours of staying awake and SD twice in each set during that tournament. This tournament though... Lost on Battlefield by only two fresh Nairs, I CP Rainbow Cruise and win, he CPs Brinstar and I **** him on it. It was such irony with a Yoshi winning on RC AND Brinstar which's apparently good for MK.

Next was Kyro, He defeated me cause I Suicided once in each set. First set for some reason I got this sharp pain in my arm (That's right JOHNS) and tried to shrug it off. Was doing good until It came up again and then started playing slower/worse cause of the pain, I then SD from the Gyro thinking I could Airdodge and grab it, I now know it won't work. I CP to Rainbow Cruise cause since it worked on KoN I thought it'd work on ROB. Sadly though, pain still making me less focused I SD when we both had one or two moves to kill eachother, tried to dashgrab but one of those falling Platforms made me stop in my Tracks do a Standing grab and wasn't paying attention so realized I was about to die until I noticed Yoshi in the bubble, IT WAS TOO LATE.

Overral I got 13th and was hoping to break the curse, but Kyro had to play derks G&W, it was sorta weird watching him trying to do the usual camping with Ness's UpB and SideB but for G&W to bucket everything and use it against him once he was grabbed.

Cool story broshi.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I got bracket ***** but still took 9th due to some uber underdog wins i had.

D

Deleted member

Ah yes, bracket ***** in utah...
there is no such thing. Either you deserved to get further or you didnt XD

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Cool story broshi.
Good the namesearch bait worked! :troll: HEY KYRO!
I got bracket ***** but still took 9th due to some uber underdog wins i had.
Bracket ***** in... Utah?
DMT 5 in Lubbock, TX
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298043
02/19/11
9th out of 19 players
FTP

Had a bye first round. Lost to two :metaknight: mains but I did beat a pretty decent :dedede:
Updated OP, Next tournament is Pik a Nik 2 this saturday for me. I SIMPLY CAN'T WAIT.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
No losing to higher ranked people johns. That just means you're not good enough to place higher, lol.
Im NOT good enough to place higher yet. Im working on it though. And no johns, my losses were legit, but my wins were even more legit haha.

D

Deleted member

i know sorry they were 2 seperate thoughts XD

I like getting hard brackets because it means i get to beat people.
Placing doesnt mean **** unless its for money, its who you beat.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I don't mind being seeded low because it means I get to face harder people earlier on, and since I don't consistently place in the money, I'd rather have the opportunity to go up against really good players to see how I stack up, rather than beat some low level players, lose to some random awful MU or something, then get sent to Losers to beat another mid level player, then place 13 or 17.

I'd rather take a 17th place while beating one or two really good people than take 7th with a bracket of randoms. That is, unless 7th made enough money to cover all my fees for that day, which is reaaaaaaaally unlikely.

Socks and I on that challenge philosophy. ;o

bigman40

Smash Master
Or you can just worry about what number you get at the end of the tourney and go yelling around that you're the best Yoshi ever. Tends to work these days.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Agreed completely with getting hard brackets, it's so much more fun getting those hard matches. Definitely the most exciting part of tournaments for me. I play 10 times better against players I'm supposed to lose to than against anybody else. >.>

:005:

D

Deleted member

Or you can just worry about what number you get at the end of the tourney and go yelling around that you're the best Yoshi ever. Tends to work these days.
Thats basically how the yoshi PR thread is working :D

Top Bottom