• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Snake

D

Deleted member

I agree, except falco and snake are both very easy characters :p
Ill get vids vs falco sometime soon scatty i promise.
I feel really optimistic even tho yoshi sucks, on the 22nd ima get top 3 :)

I feel like you'd dominate kismet if you just gimped him

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
The problems i have with falco are his sheild pressure and approaching him (and his effing lasers lol) Once im up close hes not too bad, but this is the snake mu so... ima stop right there :)

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Falco is a rougher matchup than Snake in my own experience. I always struggle vs Falco as opposed to Snake... A major advantage that Yoshi has over Snake are his egg projectile. Keep a distance, rack up damage and rarely play close combat. But when you do, make it surprising and get out fast. Mindgames work, and spacing/distance is the way to go for this matchup in my own experience.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
My close game (if any) usually consists of a quick jab then space for more eggs :D

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Well ya that too, but i said CLOSE game like when you are standing a character length or so away

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Yes, that would be a really good idea lol
I'll recap everything I've basically experienced with this matchup.

During a Snake Mortar Slide, make sure that you use many pivot grabs. These are essential for this. Limit Snake's grenade spam with your eggs. Eggs are a must-spam scenario for this matchup due to using Snake's own weaponry against him, keeping distance from his powerful hitbox, and even to limit the moves and number of times a move is used for Snake. Another note, is to bair Snake less then you would a lot of other characters because of those grenades. I'm not saying don't bair, but keep them limited and surprising. Egg Rolls are stage pendant, and aren't too useful in this matchup at all. Keep these scarce, but use these occasionally yet rarely for mindgames, and to keep your Snake on its toes. Make sure you're keeping distance seperation from Snake's close combat hit boxes, and be sure to mix up a lot of your moves. Too much use of a particular move makes Yoshi a bit predictable. The only exception to this is the egg toss. The dair is useful for racking up damage, but remember that spacing is a huge key for this. Snake has quick knockback reflex and can easily counter attack you after that final dair hit connects, which could be huge and lifethreatening for your Yoshi.

Basically just quick tips and summaries of what I've experienced against Snake. I tried. xD

D

Deleted member

No

=P
Well kinda
Bair is super useful against snake. A better idea would be to not bair into a full shield, and not bair into him while hes holding a nade. You can space back air then DJC egg lay to create a sort of defensive trap that will keep snake cautious.
Mixing up is something you do in every matchup, and is no more important in this one.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Also, i suggest rarely or NEVER use egg roll, that is all

D

Deleted member

Yea that.
Its actually not that bad if you are ahead and you know they are gonna pivot nade xD
But not recommended.

bigman40

Smash Master
Poke using bair and nair. mix in with egglay (as always). objective is to juggle snake with bair and grabs as he's landing. use his nades against him, and don't try to force anything (even getting up from the ledge).

D

Deleted member

When snake is above you, you can bait airdodge and rising uair, he cant do much about it if he doesnt have a second jump. In conjunction with bairs and grabs on landing, snake can take 50+% off a successful string of reads.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Or both of you can be quiet and get back to Snake.

What do you kids do with grenade nowadays? I try to stay away from throwing them because of his silly grenade drop/stop tech.

D

Deleted member

Depends.
If it has some time, ill DJ drop it for lolz and mindgames.
Or i just wont pick it up, and shield instead, cuz snake has a bad dash grab.
Boost grabs are gay tho.

Yikarur

Smash Master
well
News News
Ally is coming to europe. To Bushido Brawl Impact!
and there are other good snakes too
and I'M VERY VERY VERY BAD THIS MU

So tell me your secrets or your way of fightings, it's very important to me. veeery important! ;0

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Snake is EASY to juggle. Remember this. Well spaced Uairs and grabs/Usmash on landing ****.

If you get a lead, just dodge grenades and throw some eggs. You don't HAVE to approach Snake always.

D

Deleted member

The only reason snake wins is his dash attack. Thats it XD

Yikarur

Smash Master
Snake is EASY to juggle. Remember this. Well spaced Uairs and grabs/Usmash on landing ****.

If you get a lead, just dodge grenades and throw some eggs. You don't HAVE to approach Snake always.

and on the ground? D: ftilt and dash attack **** hard.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I still find his nades to be a pain in the ***. But overall just space, be aware of where his mines are, watch for tilts, nades, and dash attack, and punish hard. Patience is key here imo

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
and on the ground? D: ftilt and dash attack **** hard.
Be patient. Remember, you don't necessarily have to approach. Also keep in mind that when a Snake pulls a grenade, they are most likely going to shield if they see you approaching. Egg Lay is AMAZING for forcing Snake into the air.

Don't forget to **** his recovery. Remember to at least present pressure to him off the stage and take any damage you can. Eggs knock him out of cypher, so if he's too far away, prepare a Super Jump, throw an egg at him to slow him down and remove his upward momentum, and then get him. If he's recovering low against the stage, Nair stage spike him, Fair him, whatever. Don't forget that you can also grab the ledge to force him onto the stage for an Uair. If he's starting to C4 recovery, follow him low and footstool him to death. Just make sure you are precise with your jumps. Don't mash the button, you may lose your DJ.

When you recover, either go for the ledge or recover high. I prefer the ledge, since ECE gives you a method of weakening his traps through blowing up eggs or weakening his shield before getting back on. If you're falling on Snake from above, use Egg Lay, don't air dodge into the ground. If you're at kill percents, Snakes LOVE to wait for you to air dodge into the ground then utilt you. Nair them or something.

One thing you CAN do is condition him. Airdodge into the ground early on in your stock, and he'll get used to it. Once you're at higher percents, you can come down with an attack since they won't necessarily be expecting it. Once they get used to attacking, come down with Egg Lay. Even if they are used to it, a LOT of people's reaction to an aerial opponent is a shield. It's why air grabs can be very powerful.

I really should start following this advice more often. :laugh:

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: If you have good enough reaction time, forward tilt stops dash attack cold. Very serious.

As for Snake's forward tilt, if you're RIGHT NEXT TO HIM, you can clank with jab and reset, but you're playing with fire as he can either try again or shield and most Yoshis double jab, which means if he guesses right (either you don't jab and eat a tilt or you jab again and get OoS'd), you'll lose. Otherwise, don't try to punish it. Just shield if you're in range and stay out of the way if you're out of range.

Airborne

Smash Lord
Our jab clanks with every tilt and his jab, since it falls in the 10% rule.

Also, it'd be best to test what the snake is going to do when you're about to land, so I'd suggest a rising nair with your DJ, as long as he's not holding a grenade. This'll help you figure out how the opponent is going to react to everything, which is just one step towards getting inside his head.

Throwing an egg as low as possible straight above you can actually knock you out of snake's grab, if he manages to do so when you toss said egg; it's a wonderful mindf*ck, seeing as that most players assume that Yoshi is a free grab or something when he is in the tossing animation.

That's all I have for now.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I doubt it but does this work with dtilt as well?
I actually did something for once~! :3

Yoshis d-tilt can clank with snakes dash but f-tilt is the safer option as its quicker.
If you meant if f-tilt can clash with snakes d-tilt, yes, it can do that too. :>

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Depends.
If it has some time, ill DJ drop it for lolz and mindgames.
Or i just wont pick it up, and shield instead, cuz snake has a bad dash grab.
Boost grabs are gay tho.
Don't be fooled. Dash grab is better than Standing Grab, which sucks.

Also, Boost Grab = Dash Grab with TransN boost from dash attack.

Standing Grab

Dash Grab

And for the sake of lol, the Pivot grab.

D

Deleted member

What do you mean dont be fooled?
Snake has a piece of crap dash grab because he has one of the worst runs in the game, that sometimes works because his dash attack is so freaking good. I mostly get grabbed from grenade grabs, which are standing grabs iirc.
Pivot grabs are great too. I mean his dash grab hitbox is good, which is why pivot boosts are good, but its not like snake can really run up and grab you.

Its not just about the hitbox, its about the character in general. And i know that snake running at me is not a threat because he has no aerial options out of a run, and pivot grab beats w/e he can do out of a run. Walking snake on the other hand is freaking terrifying.

Ty for the hitboxes though.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: MK walking at you is like

having Zangief walk at you

while Guy is walking in your direction, but on Zangief's massive Soviet shoulders

Snake walking at me is like what they usually do. I just crawl back until I run out of stage space.

Top Bottom