• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Sonic

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
I say it's about even, but until we actually get statistics and what not, we won't know exactly. Unless the discussion has already been up.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
So is there a final verdict, this thread hasn't had activity for over 3 weeks... >.> IMO its 55:45 Yoshi

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I play X every other week and i actually win sometimes, so there is NO way Yoshi doesn't have some advantage :D

Yikarur

Smash Master
can someone link me to a video of a good YOshi vs. a good Sonic? Do want to see what my opponents are doing wrong :D

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Just wait for him to start running and pivot grab. What i usually do if he goes in the air is bair cuz it has higher priority then all of his air attacks (except his bair i think, but our move is faster anyway). Overall, easy matchup if you play it right. (btw, X is scared yoshi lol)

D

Deleted member

X beat me pretty bad when i MMed him.
I took a game off but it was like o_O
Sonic is dumb

Tenki

Smash Hero
what the lurk lol;;
i think i missed this thread last year.
That Sonic was a "GOOD" Sonic.
so I saw this, and went to the post it referred to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHZ4xFjPDTs
I hope this helps you guys.
I fought T-800 at a Tourney. :)
Holy hell, he almost killed himself at the beginning because he didn't cancel his spindash.
He was like, pre-May 2008 status.

I've played Boku and are matches always seem to be pretty close... I'm not sure where Boku ranks, though.
no
...his playstyle is wifi sonic through and through.
Heard he tried to make an offline debut and got *****.

ugh.

Just wait for him to start running and pivot grab. What i usually do if he goes in the air is bair cuz it has higher priority then all of his air attacks (except his bair i think, but our move is faster anyway). Overall, easy matchup if you play it right. (btw, X is scared yoshi lol)
RPGs are good, but because Sonic's running doesn't mean he's already committed, except for mentally (and that's still player-based). Any spindash charge will stop his momentum fully, and screech stop (his regular release-run animation) is quick and doesn't slide too far. Though it hasn't quite caught on yet, his Down-B out of run is a quicker punishment alternative to Side-B, so we may or may not have a bait+quickpunish for pivot grabs now.

But otherwise, you're pretty right lol. The B-air stuff is annoying, pivot grabs punish predictability, and you guys do have a legit grab release CG. I've gotten to test/ see quite a bit of the Yoshi playstyle online forever ago, and I only played the matchup once offline, but only in a friendly, so as far as I could see, we were really testing a bunch of stuff out. Definitely feels in Yoshi's advantage.

Got to play Bigman in friendlies at a tourney last year, but I think both of us were trying out alot of things. I definitely was testing out the whole DDP (dash dance pivots) as an answer to Yoshi's DR, and probably overabused it, but at least this vid shows a little more diversity to movement options.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzMXEOgY_cg

As far as Sonics go, I'm knowledgable, but relatively inexperienced with player habits, so probably above-average/amateur? I also don't know how bigman/rai ranks with Yoshi either, so ?_? doubleblind.

also johns for both of us:
I had a phone call towards the end of the match; also, I don't think he knew/realized that Yoshi's CG on Sonic was real.
:093:

D

Deleted member

June 2009...
No

Thanks for the post tho, it was good.

I could see yoshis advantage if he knows the matchup, but sonic is just a very tough character for anyone when played at X level.

Sharky

Smash Master
I think I'm finally getting the hang of this match-up now, too bad it wasn't until the end of my set with goggles. Like delta says it requires a lot of patience and it's going to take a while. Whatever you do, DON'T commit to something unless you know it will work. Sonic will **** you otherwise.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I think that yoshi v sonic is the only mu where i can legitimatly say i am pretty experienced in lol

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Sonic vs Yoshi matchups is completely reliant on timing for Yoshi. Tilts and timing is the way to go. Too much egg usage can lead to an easy hitbox.

D

Deleted member

Its not too good, because it doesnt happen.
Grab release spiking marth is too good as well.
But it doesnt work.

i go so hard on forums :p

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Poke at him with occasional eggs but be safe and not so much that he can predict an egg and punish cuz once he gets you in the air it can be hard getting back down. Really just wait for him to make a move and react and like airborne said you will figure out the timing the more you play the mu. Also, he safe on your attacks, don't throw out random smashes cuz he will punish you, even if he's on the other end of fd. Try to pivot for a cg if you can but don't overuse it or sonic will see it coming mix with bairs and nairs because they come out fast and have minimal lag. Jab is very good on sonic as he can't punish it very well and don't follow too high in the air, he can dair to the ground and that puts us in a bad position. Neutral b is a good move to use occasionally to throw him offguard but watch out for a breakout airial his come fast and have good reach. Our shield is actually not completely ***** in this mu so you have a little more freedom, but don't overuse is and watch for grabs if you are using it, as that's his only real option on a shielding opponent. Pretty much just be uber patient and punish his approach. Watch out for bair cuz it can beat ours if spaced perfectly and watch for uair combos as this is his most frequent way to kill

Edit: sorry if it doesn't make perfect sense cuz I was typing from my iPod

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
If you end up behind and need to approach, I recommend using DJ Nairs or DJCEL mix ups. In all my experience playing against Sonic, landing has never been an issue, so DJ Nairs are one of the safest moves you have. Just watch out for a Dsmash when Sonic's trying to catch your landing, although that's not even too large a threat. DJCEL will beat his shield if he tries to block the Nair. Once you land a hit you can keep momentum going for a bit, although Sonic's speed lets him return to neutral relatively quickly.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
If you end up behind and need to approach, I recommend using DJ Nairs or DJCEL mix ups. In all my experience playing against Sonic, landing has never been an issue, so DJ Nairs are one of the safest moves you have. Just watch out for a Dsmash when Sonic's trying to catch your landing, although that's not even too large a threat. DJCEL will beat his shield if he tries to block the Nair. Once you land a hit you can keep momentum going for a bit, although Sonic's speed lets him return to neutral relatively quickly.
I noticed that myself, too. Any matchups I have against a Sonic, I always end up being the first to take damage during those attack to attack cancels. Sonic recovers more quickly from reflex... Naturally Sonic is the quicker character out of the two, but the key to the matchup for Yoshi's favor is patience and timing.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Yes DJ nair are extremely good, but dont overuse or he will start to predict it

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Somehow though x is still insanely hard to beat, i mean, you feel like you're winning, then you look at the percentage and he has a 20% lead. It's like wtf?!? O.o

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I tend to kill with Usmash Uair and Nair a ton on him, what about you

Top Bottom