• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Wario

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Bwett owned me, LOL. Yeah, suppose there wasn't too much to discuss there.

I guess we'll have a writeup coming shortly if nobody else has anything important to add for now? If you do, post up by all means.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
let's wait till after saturday,

bwett and I will be playing BOTH DMG and PhantomX :)

.Marik

is a social misfit
I don't really know this Matchup that well... >_>

Reality is, our Infinite doesn't do **** against Wario, it does like 12% damage before they break out of it.

Fthrowing>Grabbing is a better option.

And I hate Wario's. They're all over the place. Egg spam might work well, but they'll eventually punish Yoshi if you mess up.

At least Dair/Nair/Bair works moderately well, lol. :yoshi:

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Yeah, tomorrow's gonna be TIIIIIIIIGHT.

Hopefully we do record the matches. Also, uptilt to waft should be inescapable on all characters, just saying.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Furbs, I want you grabbing so much in these matches that your Z button falls off.

Like, it should pop right out and hit the nearest wall with enough force to tumble down upon your enemies and crush their tiny hopes and tinier dreams. We're talking like old school, curb stomping, toss-your-body-into-a-lake-at-3:00 a.m., kill you and burn the body type beatings I'm expecting.

Bwett, same goes for you, except I want you to play upside down. Not the controller. You.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
they were gg's

OK SO!!!

although yoshi has quite a few things he can do to wario, wario's mobility more than makes up for these shortcomings, and the stage largely determines how well too.

never in any of yoshi's matchups have I seen a match that is so dependent on stages i mean seriously, yoshi's and battlefield are no-no's. I'll type more later, i just got back from a show and im tired

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Lol, Furbs is so unorthodox. He starts egg rolling at me, and I WTF and get hit by it like 4 times in a row b/c I have no idea which of my moves beats it, haha.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
lol, I am an unorthodox player, but eggroll does surprisingly well in this matchup (when wario is in the air) sense the first instinct is to use warios amazing airdodge.
eggroll actually hits him if he airdodges (sense the hitbox is out for so long) for an easy 12 damage which can be chained at low percents, but if you get too predictable wario can bite you out of it :(

also fully charged eggroll can go over diddy's naners

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Can it really? I've always been stopped by them. Can you approximate the distance for a "full charge"?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
lol, I am an unorthodox player, but eggroll does surprisingly well in this matchup (when wario is in the air) sense the first instinct is to use warios amazing airdodge.
eggroll actually hits him if he airdodges (sense the hitbox is out for so long) for an easy 12 damage which can be chained at low percents, but if you get too predictable wario can bite you out of it :(

also fully charged eggroll can go over diddy's naners
Lol, I think running into my bite was less bad than when I fully charge fsmashed you out of it ;)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
it obviously isn't an actual combo, they're just saying how awesome that would be, lol.
Oh, i was thinking maybe it was utilt at high % then waft and hit with the rising Wario lol. (Like Pikachu's utilt > thunder lol)

Are you sure about this? I'm testing it, and it seems to be random times where you will go right over it. Yet, other times, I still trip from it.
I believe egg roll is bouncing half the time so half the time it ISN'T on the ground.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
Lol, I think running into my bite was less bad than when I fully charge fsmashed you out of it ;)
lol bite is the only guaranteed way, there were a few times when your f-smash wouldn't come out fast enough (although the super armor makes it safer than what other characters try) :)

Whenever i play diddy's i can go over it. although it's not like it's intentional, it just happens idk why, i figured its because of the charge which would make some sense.

.Marik

is a social misfit
It's probably 50:50 or in Wario's favour.

Let's be honest, the Infinite isn't really an Infinite at all. They can break out of it fairly quickly.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
against a good wario

even, what tips the balance are the stages picked

against a bad wario

LOL ****!!!

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'd say that the matchup ranges from 60:40 to 40:60 based on stages. FD is always great, but Battlefield obviously messes up the infinite.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
We could just, u know, SDI the Fair spike into the stage and tech lol. I know all of his aerials are guaranteed, Uair would probably be the best bet.

Btw who saw me and Furbs fooling around on the live stream?

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
lol i could powershield everything in the game to counter dmgs smash di logic!!!

on another note did you know you can sdi clap traps on japes and live?

also throw the infinite out the window when discussing this matchup, i doubt you can ever pull it off on a good wario given the technicalities involved.

battlefield = 55:45 Wario (yoshi can still do stuff on the platforms)
yoshis = 60:40 wario
fd = 55:45 yoshi (maybe 60:40 if you can bait grabs well :/)
smashville = 55:45 Yoshi? 50:50?

stnapknah

Smash Journeyman
At the numbers you just posted, it would seem that Wario has a very slight advantage... Any ideas where you would cp him to?

Sharky

Smash Master
yeah, I'm gonna be that guy and revive the dead match-up thread. Whatchu gon' do about it?

question for whoever can test it first: around what percent does wario get killed by a nair at the edge of the (whatever, though preferably neutral) stage? Is it quicker than upsmash? I was just wondering, since you can move wario to the edge during a cg with a dash-dance grab.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Answer: Why not just Fsmash?

Anyways, I did some quick testing. Fsmash would kill at ~100% (No DI).

Usmash kills at like, 130% no DI.

I'd add some percent to both to account for DI, I'd guess 20 or so.

Nair would not kill at 100%, so Fsmash is stronger, meaning you mights as well do that. =P

Edit: Fsmash will kill at 91% no DI to be more specific. All the above was taken from FD.

Sharky

Smash Master
looolz I'm obviously not thinking right. I don't think I've seen anybody move wario to the edge and do that, though. A kill below 100% is worth the extra work imo lol.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: At the edge, I approach Wario a few different ways when it comes to grabs.

These are all assuming a reasonable grab release percentage, like 80% or something.

I think the most reliable thing to do him is to just keep chewing and then release into a fresh up aerial at 130%. I have yet to experience Wario get out of this on any stage if the up air is fresh.

If for some reason you need a really quick bursty kind of KO, you can nail a Wario using reasonable DI at maybe 110% or so with forward smash. You might need this on stage changes or if some sort of something is going to prevent you from getting another grab on your release. I have seen absolutely perfect DI on a forward smash out of release and the Wario survived when the hit came in at around 125%.

If you just need damage out of a release and either you want to save up your forward smash (LOL) or you want to get something out quickly and forward smash won't come out in time, you can just upsmash, but I've upsmashed Wario at 170% and he's managed to live, but it was probably 1 or 2 notches into the move queue, so the fresh KO percentage would be a little deflated from that.

Sharky

Smash Master
so if f-smash kills earlier, and it's relatively easy to position it, why wouldn't you do it?

Top Bottom