• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Wario

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: It's harder to time and stupid easy to DI.

Up air is faultless in both respects.

The drawback, of course, is that you have to chew for 15-20% more in order to guarantee an up air KO.

I prefer the safety of up air, myself. I'm patient enough to get those extra chews.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Lol, I remember after Bwett played fiction in pools, I was like "did you do angled up F smash from grab release?", and he was like "that works?". So he tries it against one of us and it works and he was like "FUUUUUCK I can't believe I forgot about that!". Moral of the story, know your grab release options.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Yeah, up air is the easiest and most consistent way to KO, even if it is a few percent over the smash.

At least, I think so.

The hardest part about this matchup for me personally is the bike. D:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Can't you just Dair it? I'm not sure on Wario's lag if he's going to jump off it, but I don't think he can AD immediately. The jump is kind of slow itself. =/

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Well, it's more than just the bike.

Him riding it across the stage is the easy part. You can back air and pivot grab it, but only when he starts at medium range. If he starts a few character lengths away, it can get troublesome and spotdodging isn't really a good way to get around it. If you've also ever been tech chased with bikes (LOL), it's kinda frustrating near the edge, because that can lead into KO aerials or annoying chip damage offstage.

Also, players who have good item manipulation when the bike breaks apart can wreak havok on your shield if you don't DR to intercept them. Even the bike itself as an item does somewhere around 30% if it continues to bounce off of you all three times and it can be bad to get hit with during your jump as well.

I dunno, it sounds like I'm whining, but it's just the most annoying part of the matchup for me. I've learned how to DI down air and how to grab Wario, so this is the part I need to get over next.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: You just slam both sticks straight up, the closer to the first hit, the better.

You pop right out, it's pretty awesome. Counterattacking out of it is questionable, however, because you might neutral or back air right into a powershieldgrab or a double jump neutral air from Wario. This is at least how you can nullify the move if it hits you. Keep in mind you can move around in your shield if you are blocking the move; it's not much, but it helps a little bit if you can kind of track how they move when they use down air.

P.S. - I almost forgot, you might have to DI multiple times if Wario is rising while down airing you (not uncommon). Don't go for the sides or out the bottom; it doesn't work (or so I've found).

Top Bottom